Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs. Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Z06 vs. Viper?

Yes, I am sure these threads get dog-piled on, etc. etc. I don't care about speed as neither would stay stock. Let me preface my question.

In 2006, I got a 2001 WS6 6-speed Trans Am. I ALWAYS! wanted an LS1, and an F-body looked mean. Always heard how great the T56 and the LS1 were. Well, they ARE awesome in that price-league. However, the rest of the car was a pile. I have replaced almost every electric motor, sensor, and moving part on the vehicle except for the engine and transmission. I was totally dissilusioned after owning it for just a few months. I have payed more (even doing most of the work myself) to keep it on the road than I have insuring it.

FFWD to 2009. I plan on graduating in 2010, and purchasing something nice as a reward on my 25th birthday in 2011. I have ALWAYS loved the Viper, but practically, I know nothing about the car. The Z06 I am a little more familiar with, but not really. Both cars look great, and both have the performance and potential for performance that I am after. Please don't sell me on 5' quicker stopping or .2 faster in the 1/4 or .01g on the skidpad. These things aren't going to matter as I am not a professional driver, nor will I be able to extract the LAST LITTLE BIT from the car.

What matters to me is recalls, how often parts break, do the window-motors crap out all the time, does the differential blow up, do rocker-arms break, do oil-pump shafts twist in two, that sort of thing. Which car will stand the lease chance of nickel and diming me to death and in general just **** me off because it's in the shop more.

I went through this once with GM, and I hope with the Z06 and a few years of learning they aren't turning crap like the 4th gen F-bodies out anymore, but I have no experience personally with Dodge. THose of you with experience in this, help me out?

I have noted that the Viper loses resale faster than the Z, but both drop like a stone.

Anyways, how are the Z06 holding up? THey have been out since '06 so I figure there should be a general "feel" for this by now. Is it another 4th gen F-body/ C5, or is it another animal entirely?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Based upon my 2.5 years on this forum, and my 2.5 years driving a C6Z (my first Chevy, by the way), these cars are reliable and have no bad habits from a maintenance standpoint. They are great DDs and the track potential of this supercar is well known. So, my recommendation is: join the club.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Based upon my 2.5 years on this forum, and my 2.5 years driving a C6Z (my first Chevy, by the way), these cars are reliable and have no bad habits from a maintenance standpoint. They are great DDs and the track potential of this supercar is well known. So, my recommendation is: join the club.
Good news. I am just VERY leery of owning another GM product. I didn't research how the F-body did before I bought one, and I have regretted owning it ever since. I am going to be gathering info/experiences for about the next year and I think I will be much happier with whatever I choose, at least better informed.

I have heard that the 'vette is a lot more forgiving as well, what with TC and all. This is a huge point in its corner as I am far from a pro driver.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This question has been discussed b/4... I suggest you conduct a search and you'll find valuable info herein.

Long & short, I've owned two Vipers ('02 Coupe & '06 Coupe) and they were both extremely reliable, especially considering the Viper can be considered a semi-exotic sports car (Z06 included)...

I traded the '06 Viper for my new '09 Z06. No regrets here. Can't comment on reliability yet b/c I've only had the car for six months.

I have no regrets going from Dodge to Chevy. The Z's ingress/egress is superior to the Snake. The Z's cabin is so much more commodious. The Z's fuel economy is a lot better. The Z can put the power down a lot better b/c the snake does not have Traction Control.

Now that I've owned both, I'd go Z06 over a Viper for the reasons mentioned above, alone. They are both great American Sports Cars! Although they are considered rivals/competitors, they are actually quite different in design. Those individuals who have owned both, know exactly what I'm talking about.

Good luck and happy hunting, Mate!

BB
Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Z-Stallion
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenDiem
This question has been discussed b/4... I suggest you conduct a search and you'll find valuable info herein.

Long & short, I've owned two Vipers ('02 Coupe & '06 Coupe) and they were both extremely reliable, especially considering the Viper can be considered a semi-exotic sports car (Z06 included)...

I traded the '06 Viper for my new '09 Z06. No regrets here. Can't comment on reliability yet b/c I've only had the car for six months.

I have no regrets going from Dodge to Chevy. The Z's ingress/egress is superior to the Snake. The Z's cabin is so much more commodious. The Z's fuel economy is a lot better. The Z can put the power down a lot better b/c the snake does not have Traction Control.

Now that I've owned both, I'd go Z06 over a Viper for the reasons mentioned above, alone. They are both great American Sports Cars! Although they are considered rivals/competitors, they are actually quite different in design. Those individuals who have owned both, know exactly what I'm talking about.

BB
Nice review! The Viper has always got that killer look!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM
rubaseball44
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I can shed some light on this subject for you because I two always wanted a Viper since a kid and did alot of research and road testing before purchasing my 07' Z. I am 26 and ever since I knew what a car was "the viper" well at 14,15 was the WOW car whenever I saw one. I always told myself that I had to have one, one day. Its funny because your story reminds me of my story in so many ways. My first Gm was a 99 Camaro SS that I modified with a head/cam & full exhaust. It was quick and that was about it. I completely agree that everything else was cheap and broke easily. Then I sold that and bought an 04 GTO that I went crazy on. I put a forged motor in it and a STS turbo kit. It made 595hp at the wheels and was even featured in GM High Tech magazine. The only reason I am even mentioning all of this is because it really matters what your plan might be with the car. One of the many deciding factors for me was that I knew that I would modify it. The Z is easy to work on and from spending endless sleepless nights on my LS1 motors I was already very familar with the LS7. Secondly, a/m parts are typically less then parts needed on Vipers.

Moving past all of that and lets say you are not interested in modifing anything and you just want to drive it. I am not sure how tall you are but I am 6'3" and was very uncomfortable in a viper when I test drove it. I had the seat all the way back and reclined as far as it would go. I starting laughing because I felt like a giant and my head was an inch off the headliner. I also have size 13 shoes and there is no room on the floor board if you are crusing and wanted to place your foot to the side off the clutch and I mean NONE. The only place for your feet are on one of the pedals. The Viper is much louder in the interior as well. Road noise and engine noise is significantly louder than the Z. I am totally serious when I say that I dont even have the seat all the way back in my Z. The leg room is great and while crusing not only can I put my foot comfortably to the side but I can even have my knee bent and up between the steering wheel and door trim panel. NOOOO chance in a viper.

I could go on further but a couple other good points to touch on are saftey. I am not 100% but I am pretty sure the multi function traction control in the Z are extremely better than in the viper. Being that we are close in age and I am not sure of your driving record but the difference for me between the 2 cars was around a 600 dollar premium difference from the insurance company. 600 less for the Z. I dont want to make this too long of a post so I hope this helps some and if you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer them because I know it can be a tough decision. Bottom line is I am extremely happy with the Z and if I had to make the decision again I wouldnt even spend a second thinking about the viper. Truely a great car from GM.

Nick

Last edited by rubaseball44; 12-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great posts.....

Another one here. Started with a 98 LS1 vert and put a Kenne Bell blower on it. NOT ONE problem with that car in 4-years! It came down to up an '06 SRT-10 convertible (blue/black) or an '06 C6Z. I REALLY wanted to keep a convertible and I love the looks of the Viper.

For me the dings on the Viper were; 1) You can't make a V10 sound good, I've heard them all! 2) $45k for a three year old Dodge....little scary. 3) I read over and over again about how the Viper didn't handle well and was VERY unforgiving (hence ins rates mentioned above), and 4) Cost to mod a Viper is very pricey compared to Z.

So I went with the Z and am very happy.

The difference between my LS1 KB C5 and the Z are handling, brakes and top speed. When I would hit 140 mph in my C5 it would say "eh, I think we're about done". The Z says...." Dude, shift outta third!!!"

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
blkz
Pro

I really think you need to drive both , If you are truely serious you'd be surprised on both forms how many people would meet you .
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. My two choices were a Viper or a new Z06. I test drove both and ended up with a victory red Z.
Name:  CIMG2717.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  104.1 KB

Both are great cars, it is just comes down to what you are looking for. I found this review (although you have to read the subtitles) the best objective comparison. Whatever you decide, you will have made a great choice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGLNXpSkgw
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Ram4whldr
Instructor

I just purchased an 07 Z06 and sold my 98 Viper GTS. Hands down right now, I would vote for the Z06.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem

BB
I agree that was a nice review. But I have to ask about "commodius", as I couldn't find it in the dictionary. What does it mean? Seems like its root is "commode", so did you mean that the interior is "toilet-like"?

Anyway, to the OP, from my own experience owning a Z06 for 3 years, and spending just a bit of time in a Viper, I urge you to make sure you test drive a Viper to make sure its indiosyncracies (cockpit and ergonomics, as well as heat generation) are not going to bother you after a while. Beyond that, I don't think you'll wrong with either.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blkz
I really think you need to drive both , If you are truely serious you'd be surprised on both forms how many people would meet you .
VERY! awesome responses in this thread. Thankyou so much all. I would love to drive a Z or Viper, but like I said, this decision is going to take place about a year and a half from now and I am not really a tire-kicker. When I have cash in hand, I will ask if someone would allow me to drive their vehicle at their convenience.

I am 5'11.5" and 175. My only problem with a vehicle, ever, has been the SRT-4 w/ACR package. I couldn't get my back into the seat. I am not particularly wide with only 21.5" shoulders, so I don't know what the issue was. It was awkward and I hated it. Regular SRT-4's never gave a problem, and the C5Z I sat in was AWESOME!

I like a dead-pedal, or place for my foot. That would be very annoying.

My driving record is good, and from what I can see at age 25 I am looking at around $250/mo +- $50 for whatever I want to buy from Viper to Z to 911TT. Yes this is a chunk of change, but I understand that going in. I am planning to put 60-75% down on the car, and buy someone's "mistake" with 2,000 miles on it or something 1-2YM old. That way my note will be $3-400 or so. A couple of years ago, I had no credit, but I know if I am to buy something like this and get anything decent on interest rate, I needed credit, so I got an LOC from my bank and have used the hell out of it/payed it and my credit score (Experian) is now over 700. Not bad at all for going from bogue to this in 2 years time imho!

If I got the 'vette, it would get exhaust and a cam. With a streetable cam, I understand that this combination would have me putting down around 550 to the tires. My current car puts down 300 or so, and I have ridden with friends who's cars put down around 450 or so (which is a lot in a 2800# car like what my friend owned!). 550 Really is as much/more than I need, but I would do it for the sound alone. I love a cammed V8 and I miss that about my 5.0

You are right about the Viper. They just sound...meh.

Does the Z06 still have the leaf-spring? I just don't like the idea of the leaf-spring.

My thoughts if I got the Z: Coil-overs, CCW505A's, 20% tint all the way around, cam/LT's/LG's "man" switch, and a CAI.

If I got the Viper: Headers/exhaust/CCW's/20% tint all around.

I like black, and these cars are common in black from what I understand.

The one thing I DO! like about the Viper is it seems about as complicated as a hammer, just looking at it. Everything is accessible and it doesn't HAVE any amenities to malfunction, compared to the Z.

At any rate, I do lean towards the Z at this point, mainly because of the support for the car. I don't have a lot of faith in American Auto manufacturers, but there will always be 'vette parts around.

PS. In 2008, Dodge made the Viper a lot more friendly in several aspects including heat in the cabin. However, in the end, I must be honest: If I were looking for comfort, I would be pricing ice-cream. :P

This doesn't mean I want to hate driving it, just that comfort is secondary to durability/reliability. If a little heat in the cabin gets me a better car, I am all for it.

Last edited by BSSN; 12-10-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
L82PC
Racer

Originally Posted by BobJ

For me the dings on the Viper were; 1) You can't make a V10 sound good, I've heard them all! 2) $45k for a three year old Dodge....little scary. 3) I read over and over again about how the Viper didn't handle well and was VERY unforgiving (hence ins rates mentioned above), and 4) Cost to mod a Viper is very pricey compared to Z.

Good luck!
I totally agree with the above, especially the point in bold...

I was going to start a thread about the horrible exhaust note of the Viper but I'll just contribute to this thread instead.

Don't want this to come off as a Viper bashing rant because I truly think the car is cool as hell and an awesome performer !!!

With that said, I was driving home from work today on the freeway and spotted a Viper in the rear view. Black Vert SRT-10...wow!!!...what a beauty!!! It was traveling fast enough at about 10 over the speed limit to pass me so I followed it just to enjoy watching it move with prowess down the highway moving in and out of the slower traffic. I was in my DD (big comfy sedan) and kept back far enough not to annoy him. As I made my way to my exit I noticed he was taking the same route so I made up a little ground in hopes to gawk a little more at this machine. Fortunately he was stuck at a red light so I ended up right beside him. The car was noticeably "aftermarket" loud but not too obnoxious and sounded "ok" at best. Because I was 3 feet from his side exhaust, my car (boat) was shaking like it was cammed.... I tried to get his attention to give him a thumbs up but the dude was in a dead stare straight ahead. I was anxiously awaiting the green light to hear this beast barrel away and........

What a disappointment!!!!

The thing sounded like a diesel and that's no $hit. Looks real good but sounds like turd. Now I won't even get into the ergonomics because that's another looong story. Let me just say that that story ends just like the exhaust story (not good). Did I mention the car looks great!!!

Now the Z on the other hand fits like a custom made glove, pretty forgiving to drive even with 505 HP, excellent creature comforts, generally very comfortable overall, looks mean and sounds incredibly mean. It's got a very throaty American V8 tone coming from an all stock car with a mild to wild switch to keep the butterflies open at low RPM's. The sound it makes may be only matched by a cammed/exhaust 5.0

JMHO...

Good luck in your decision either way!!!

Made in USA.

Last edited by L82PC; 12-10-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

My Viper was a pig to handle on the track fast. It needs handling mods to help it corner better.

The Z was out of the box ready.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Having owned an 2001 Viper, I'm not sure if I agree with the comments about thier "handling problems". I think alot of them are wrecked due to inexperienced drivers. Vipers take time to learn and adjust to. I think they are a spectacular drivers car. My lingenfelter Z is more refined, better ergonomics and easier to drive well. IMO neither make a really good daily driver. anyway, owning a Viper is a hoot and I recommend it as well as the Z.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LPE
Having owned an 2001 Viper, I'm not sure if I agree with the comments about thier "handling problems". I think alot of them are wrecked due to inexperienced drivers. Vipers take time to learn and adjust to. I think they are a spectacular drivers car. My lingenfelter Z is more refined, better ergonomics and easier to drive well. IMO neither make a really good daily driver. anyway, owning a Viper is a hoot and I recommend it as well as the Z.
You said it. It's because of no active handling.

On the highway/street they're great but at the track we've got to work the car harder for max performance, not much finesse in them.

I loved my Viper, my wife was surprised that I didn't buy a second one instead of the '09 Z. As a daily the Z is easier to life with. The Viper was also a daily.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
You said it. It's because of no active handling.

On the highway/street they're great but at the track we've got to work the car harder for max performance, not much finesse in them.

I loved my Viper, my wife was surprised that I didn't buy a second one instead of the '09 Z. As a daily the Z is easier to life with. The Viper was also a daily.
This car would mainly be a weekend driver. As I said initially, I am not a pro driver and I will not be attempting to drift it through a hairpin turn. If it can slam me into the door when I take it around a curved on-ramp that will be all I require. That and being able to change lanes rapidly without wollowing like a pig like my WS6 does.

I learned early on, to the tune of $1800 (VERY CHEAP LESSON!), that playing in corners with no traction control is a mistake that will eventually catch up to you. As such, if the viper is spinning the tires, the front wheels will most likely be pointed straight if I am driving it

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. Viper?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
383LPE
Drifting

you sound like an active handling kind of guy, go with the Z. there are already too many wrecked Vipers cluttering salvage yards due to torque induced endo's (especially when wet!)
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
L82PC
Racer

Active handling control off switch is an option down the road as you gain a feel for the Z as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 383LPE
you sound like an active handling kind of guy, go with the Z. there are already too many wrecked Vipers cluttering salvage yards due to torque induced endo's (especially when wet!)
Eh, I survived driving a cammed 5.0 with a 3.27 first and 4.10's out back on junk tires for a couple of years. It was just that initial mistake when I was 18 that taught me a lesson. I was just careful in the 5.0. THe WS6, I play a little more in. I would gladly be a little more careful though, if the Viper has more to offer.

I have seen questions about the LS7's durability/quality throughout it's usage in the Z though. Can anyone shed some light on why it has so many problems? Dropped valves, broken rocker arms, etc. etc.

The Viper doesn't seem to suffer engine troubles from what I have been able to find.

*My mistake occured in an automatic LT1 Trans Am with the TC button off. It downshifted in the corner and I over-corrected. First sports car I owned.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. Viper?