Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best time on stock Z06

Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Best time on stock Z06

What is the best 1/4 mile time on a totally stock C6 Z06? I mean on totally showroom stock. I believe Ranger got a 10.85 on a stock car with drag radials, but curious how he or anyone else did on the factory tires.

I see guys with 600 rwhp running only a tenth or two better than what Ranger did on a stock car on drag radials, and trying to figure out how this is possible. I realize launch technique, shift points and crisp shifting has something to do with it, but with practice you would think one could catch on and there would be a larger difference between a 600 and a 440 hp car. Not doubting the validity of Ranger's run, but I am just trying to understand.

Last edited by bigterpsfan; 09-22-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...fast-list.html

Bone-Stock on Stock Tires ------*Current Avg. 11.506 secs. @ 123.965 mph 1.859 secs
******************General Motors Factory Specification: 11.7 seconds @125 mph.*****************

1----10.981 @ 128.90--1.77---jamie furman ------'06. -----Details
2----11.138 @ 127.20--1.76---Ranger------'06. -----Details
3----11.242 @ 122.38--1.68---Dr.Ron------'06. ----------Details
4----11.311 @ 122.89--1.80---BLU-BY-U------'06. -----Details
5----11.349 @ 124.97--1.75---zosix427-----'06. -------Details ******** Top 10 avg: 11.323 @ 124.99
6----11.392 @ 124.84--1.92--- C5 Frank------'06-------Details
7----11.429 @ 124.88--1.86---dgdoc------'06. -----Details
8----11.443 @ 125.93--1.95---O7zeeO6------'07----Details
9----11.458 @ 124.13--1.80--- layjzay----- '06 -------Details
10---11.488 @ 123.86--1.80---Z06kait-----'07-------Details
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Thanks, and I will ask the obvious question, how do you know that they are bone stock cars. I mean, how come professional drivers can't accomplish anywhere near the 10.98 second time even in a ZR1 with 638bhp?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

These guys have skill, had perfect conditions, and made runs with no mistakes.
I'm sure someone at GM has managed to get these sorts of times, but the advertised time is one that is fairly easy to repeat and not open to claims of inflated performance figures. Also, an automotive journalist who spends a day or two with a Z06 is not the same as someone who owns it and regularly spends time honing his performance with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ranger and Jamie could easily be considered pro's. They run at a pristinely prepped track, which I believe is at sea level. They don't have to hot lap their cars due to having private use of the track. They have every detail down to a science: If you have the opportunity to talk one on one with Ranger, you will see that he is a master mind of the Z06. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a road course event held near my home and spent several hours chatting with him and was amazed at his knowledge and willingness to talk at length to me about drag racing. The guy is a genuine Corvette loving guy and if you met him, you would not question his times at all.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by titletaker
Ranger and Jamie could easily be considered pro's. They run at a pristinely prepped track, which I believe is at sea level. They don't have to hot lap their cars due to having private use of the track. They have every detail down to a science: If you have the opportunity to talk one on one with Ranger, you will see that he is a master mind of the Z06. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a road course event held near my home and spent several hours chatting with him and was amazed at his knowledge and willingness to talk at length to me about drag racing. The guy is a genuine Corvette loving guy and if you met him, you would not question his times at all.
I would like to talk with Ranger. I actually ran into a cop that used to drag race with Ranger and we had a nice converstaion.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
Thanks, and I will ask the obvious question, how do you know that they are bone stock cars. I mean, how come professional drivers can't accomplish anywhere near the 10.98 second time even in a ZR1 with 638bhp?
You'll never know for sure anyone is one stock but all the people that say Ranger and Jamie Furman are liars honestly have a hint of jealousy there. I've raced with both of them often at MIR at T&T's and rentals and believe the times they've put down because I know what my Corsa only, stock tuned car has done.
As diverdan said it takes skill, the right conditions and no mistakes.
I haven't raced since March and wanted to get my feet wet at Capitol Sunday . I ran a 11.55@124 with my coolant temp around 210, nonperfect shift points, and a 1.83 60' in 75 degree weather. There is so much more than that with the car in negative DA conditions, on point launches and near perfect shifting its not even funny. First gear seemed so tall compared to how it feels in cooler weather with cooler coolant temps. I ran a 12.04@ 123 with much crappier stats and higcoolant temp the pass right before that. I also competly botched my first pass of the day by forgetting to turn TC off during my burnout which made me stall and I spun off the line from water being left on my tires to a tune of a 2.24 60' and let off at the end to have a 111 MPH. I've had 3 11.0x passes and at least 15 11.1x passes in the good weather with much better driving than I had on Sunday. Check out all the z06 videos on my account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/waltermike32
My point is there are many factors that contribute to a great pass. If you really want to get your times down in the low 11's practice and go to MIR when the weather gets good. I'll let you know when I go down and give you all the pointers you want. PM me if your interested.
BTW did you make it to Capitol Sunday?

Last edited by walterm32; 09-22-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because you read about a time in a magazine, it doesn't mean its a pro running that time. I think Mike said it best you need to have the right weather, track conditions, and of course the driving skills but even with all that you still have to put it all together at the same time and not make any mistakes in order to make that perfect pass. As far as knowing if something is stock, I don't know how you really know other than a persons word and reputation. When I race or have raced with Ranger or Mike or whoever my car is open for inspection to who ever wants to check it out and that includes hooking up a computer to it if they want and from what I have seen the other fast guys cars are out there as well if someone wants to check them out. If you look at the 2 absolute fastest stock pass's with DR's on the fast list, they are within .02 hundreths of each other and within a half mph and IMO likely the difference was weather conditions. I don't know how 2 cars could run such close times without both being the same? As far as the completely bone stock with stock tires, well thats really a crap shoot and a bit of luck IMO because if the tracks really right they may work like drag radials and give you drag radial like times, then again the same day 2 hours later and they might not hook at all so thats why I feel street tires aren't really a good example of the Z06 capabilities, too much of a crap shoot IMO. I think if you look at the names of the fastest guys on the Z06 fast list, Ranger, Ron, Mike, Doc, Frank, myself etc, I think you will find a list of names of guys with a lot of drag racing experience and could easily be considered expert drag racers. So I would say the very best times run by stock Z06 or any stock cars for that matter are run by the experts!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
CaramelNougat
Instructor

Couple of comments:

1. The famous Ranger time is his personal best out of hundreds of runs. HUNDREDS. HUNDREDS!! By his own repeated testimony here on the forums, 600 runs if I recall correctly, several hundred of those runs on his personal car. If you do anything hundreds of times you will get better at it and you will surprise yourself with what's possible.

2. Published times from magazines are usually the average of several runs. They usually don't publish methodology with their times so who the hell knows what surface conditions were, what DA was, the tune and condition of the car, how many runs were done, whether the car was allowed to cool down properly between runs ... a hundred concealed variables.

3. The C6 Z06 is a difficult car to drag race, relatively speaking. A lot of things have to go right and you have to DO a lot of things right. Getting your car into its optimum state - tires, oil temp, coolant temp, fuel weight, many factors - is worth tenths. A perfect launch is worth several tenths. Perfect throttle modulation in the low gears is worth several tenths. Each perfect shift is worth a tenth or more. A few mistakes and you've easily dropped into the 12s.

4. Nobody's done 100s of runs with a ZR1 .... yet. Its performance envelope has not been fully explored. Is there any question about its basic parameters? We know that it has more power, we know that it has better oem tires, we know what its torque curve looks like. So we ought to know what its potential is, and therefore we KNOW that its best times are yet to come. It took a long time (YEARS??) after the Z06 went on sale before jamie established the current record. Why wouldn't you expect the same for the new car?

5. Don't forget there is tremendous variation from car to car. It's the nature of a manufactured product with thousands of separate parts, each with its own tolerances, interacting in impossibly complex ways. Why do some cars dyno 465 off the showroom floor and some only 430? It's a safe bet that the standing records were established by "factory freaks" as they say.

Last edited by CaramelNougat; 09-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CaramelNougat
Couple of comments:

1. The famous Ranger time is his personal best out of hundreds of runs. HUNDREDS. HUNDREDS!! By his own repeated testimony here on the forums, 600 runs if I recall correctly, several hundred of those runs on his personal car. If you do anything hundreds of times you will get better at it and you will surprise yourself with what's possible....
So as to avoid any potential confusion, I think it important to point out that the 600 runs you speak of, didn't come in a C6 Z06. I don't know if I am following you correctly, but I think its worth it to point out, to clarify, that Ranger's bone stock on stock runflats, 11.13 time was made at pass #100 in a C6 Z06 according to his prior posts
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1562906560

The 10.85 on drag radials he ran, came a full year before that.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...g-radials.html

Ranger states 187 passes in his C6 Z06 according to his profile.

So while he may have made several hundred drag strip passes in his lifetime, he had only made comparatively few passes in the C6 Z06 platform before he posted the times which appear on "The C6 Z06 Fast List"

Jamie Furman had run 11.24 on stock runflats, and 11.00 on drag radials apparently early on.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ental-mir.html

Before running what would ultimately become the overall C6 Z06 quarter mile records on runflats and drag radials.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-1-4-mile.html

No doubt about it, Jamie, Ranger, Ron, BluByU, those guys are good at what they do, and are most certainly going to run times which are beyond the published times run by the magazines and the GM drivers.

They are, a lot of times, running with minimal fuel loads, well prepped tracks, good weather conditions, optimal coolant temperatures, optimal shift points, etc. and in some instances, running specifically, or near specifically, to set records.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
So as to avoid any potential confusion, I think it important to point out that the 600 runs you speak of, didn't come in a C6 Z06. I don't know if I am following you correctly, but I think its worth it to point out, to clarify, that Ranger's bone stock on stock runflats, 11.13 time was made at pass #100 in a C6 Z06 according to his prior posts
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1562906560

The 10.85 on drag radials he ran, came a full year before that.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...g-radials.html

Ranger states 187 passes in his C6 Z06 according to his profile.

So while he may have made several hundred drag strip passes in his lifetime, he had only made comparatively few passes in the C6 Z06 platform before he posted the times which appear on "The C6 Z06 Fast List"

Jamie Furman had run 11.24 on stock runflats, and 11.00 on drag radials apparently early on.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ental-mir.html

Before running what would ultimately become the overall C6 Z06 quarter mile records on runflats and drag radials.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-1-4-mile.html
You are correct as my first pass ever in a C6Z was an 11.31 run in late august a few months after I bought the car. I really had not raced much in the couple of years preceding my Z06 purchase and the Z actually renewed my zeal in drag racing. Once I learned how to really launch the car the numbers started coming down fairly quickly for me.
I hope my ZR1 will be in the 10's my first day out, I could be wrong but I think it will because I think its a bit faster than the Z and the clutch seems more user friendly, it has a feel I prefer over a Z06 clutch. The only real thing holding me back would be I haven't been to a dragstrip since the day I ran my Viper with Mike in March, so I might be a little rusty.
And a point that was made in an earlier post that is true, is I try to only run in the best air as once I have run a number I am not interested in running the car again unless I think I can beat my best time, and if the weather isn't there I know the records won't be there either so I usually don't run except in the spring and fall when its the best weather and I have the best chance of beating my best time or breaking or setting a record.

Last edited by jamie furman; 09-22-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Another point about the magazine guys. They test all kinds of cars all year long - but they only run each car three or four times down the track. They don't spend every weekend in the same car. Ranger says it takes 50 runs to get to know the car to get it's best time.

And as others have said, the magazine guys don't have the luxury of picking the best day of the year to test each car. Some of them even adjust the times to a certain weather condition - I think C&D does.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CaramelNougat
2. Published times from magazines are usually the average of several runs....
Not true of the mainstream mags like C&D, Motor Trend and R&T. I've been reading those mags since 1965 and have seen references from time to time about how they test and publish. They publish the best time.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
And a point that was made in an earlier post that is true, is I try to only run in the best air as once I have run a number I am not interested in running the car again unless I think I can beat my best time, and if the weather isn't there I know the records won't be there either so I usually don't run except in the spring and fall when its the best weather and I have the best chance of beating my best time or breaking or setting a record.
Excellent point Jamie, and thanks for bringing it up.

No point in beating the $#** out of the car trying to run a record time unless you can go on a day when the weather is good, and you can get a lot of passes in.

That means that the typical test and tune, where there are 200 cars or more, a whole slew of bikes, Junior Dragsters, etc, and you might get in three passes if you are lucky, is usually out.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Excellent point Jamie, and thanks for bringing it up.

No point in beating the $#** out of the car trying to run a record time unless you can go on a day when the weather is good, and you can get a lot of passes in.

That means that the typical test and tune, where there are 200 cars or more, a whole slew of bikes, Junior Dragsters, etc, and you might get in three passes if you are lucky, is usually out.
Once again you are correct!
I will do a sunday test and tune or say a corvette or viper meet if I can get 5 or 6 passes but for me any less than that is a waste of time and I don't want to spend my whole day in a staging lane to make 3 passes.
I actually ran best et ever in my Ford GT at a sunday test and tune but the weather was cool and the lines short so I was able to get a little rythem and lay down some good runs.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Once again you are correct!
I will do a sunday test and tune or say a corvette or viper meet if I can get 5 or 6 passes but for me any less than that is a waste of time and I don't want to spend my whole day in a staging lane to make 3 passes.
I actually ran best et ever in my Ford GT at a sunday test and tune but the weather was cool and the lines short so I was able to get a little rythem and lay down some good runs.
Hey Jamie... Just curious, what did your GT run?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
CaramelNougat
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5 Frank

Get notified of new replies

To Best time on stock Z06

Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
With a pulley upgrade from 12 psi to 15 psi and a tune it ran 10.6 at 136 mph on the factory tires with no other changes, not even air filters.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:12 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With a pulley upgrade from 12 psi to 15 psi and a tune it ran 10.6 at 136 mph on the factory tires with no other changes, not even air filters.
What about the Hemi cars? Have they ever been to the track? I am assuming they stay in the garage, but just curious. One other question, which do you prefer, the Viper of the Z06. I know the Viper is faster, but just curious to see how you feel about the two at the track. My buddy has an 08 Viper and a few times it has gotten pretty loose on the hard shift from 1st to 2nd.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by titletaker
What about the Hemi cars? Have they ever been to the track? I am assuming they stay in the garage, but just curious. One other question, which do you prefer, the Viper of the Z06. I know the Viper is faster, but just curious to see how you feel about the two at the track. My buddy has an 08 Viper and a few times it has gotten pretty loose on the hard shift from 1st to 2nd.
I think the corvette is easier to drive at the track but I feel the viper has a better clutch for drag racing as its stiffer and you get a better feel for when it engages. My Dart has been to the track as I went to a car show at MIR and my buddie egged me on to run it so I made a couple of passes and surprisingly it ran pretty good 12.5 at 116 on those skinny red lines. I felt like low 13's at about 108mph was going to be the number, as that was my pre race prediction so I was pleasently surprised. I had another stock hemicuda that I took down a few years back and it ran mid 13's at 106 so I expect this one would be somewhere around there but it definately won't be on the track to find out. All my cars get driven semi regularly so they don't deteriorate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Best time on stock Z06