Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Roof Delamination

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
vettluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Roof Delamination

Long story cut short - I purchased a used 2006 Z06 in June. I had checked to make sure that the recall was done, but did not dig any further into it when I found out it had been completed. Last week, I noticed the rear driver's side roof panel starting to come apart, called GM and took the car in to the dealer this afternoon.

Thanks to allanlaw, who provided me with a copy of the original recall issued by General Motors, I had some ammo when I went to speak with the service manager. The dealer has a call in to the district rep to get authorization to re do the recall. Still have no word on whether I will get a replacement roof or just the foam treatment, but at least there is progress now.

There are others here that are fighting the same battle, so I will keep this up to date as progress is made.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Roof is being replaced today at no cost.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 PM
jjjflex
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same story for me. Just picked up a 06 Z that had the recall done. The driver's side rear roof panel is coming apart. I took the car to a local Chevy dealer and was told it has already been done, but they will check into it. They could not answer how it was fixed (glue-new bolts-new roof). Any advice for me? Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 PM
vettluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjjflex
Same story for me. Just picked up a 06 Z that had the recall done. The driver's side rear roof panel is coming apart. I took the car to a local Chevy dealer and was told it has already been done, but they will check into it. They could not answer how it was fixed (glue-new bolts-new roof). Any advice for me? Thanks
Check out the link on post #12 of this thread - long read, but very informative. You will be well informed after reading, and should know what you're talking about when you go see the dealership.

Not sure how things work south of the border, but up here in Canada, the local dealer said they could not tell me anything about the repairs completed because of the "privacy act". I will be calling the dealership that did the repairs tomorrow.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...n-part-ii.html
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
vettluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1ED1
Roof is being replaced today at no cost.
Have you owned the car from new or did you buy it used? How did your local dealer handle it? I'm assuming pretty good as you're getting a new roof!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think they are still doing the foam fix.......its all new roof's at this point.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
jjjflex
Pro

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
vettluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjjflex
Thanks for the help!
No problem, feel free to PM me if you wish.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
E's Z(D'oh!)6
Advanced

My 2006 is at the dealer right now being repaired. I am unaware if mine was ever repaired previously, so I asked the service manager to investigate and let me know. I was told that GM has a method to determine whether to repair or to replace. He also said he has never had one come back.
We'll see...

E.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

vettluver
I purchased the car new in 2006.I called the dealer and told him that I had roof separation and He told me to bring it in and he would replace it. I took my recall notice
with me with his dealership information on it. At this visit the dealer took a picture with a color reader to make sure the color matched. They called me about an hour ago and told me the car was ready to pick up.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
lonewolf455
Instructor

hi just got off the phone with kerbeck corvette they refuse to fix my roof on my 2006 corvette . cause i did not buy the car from them,the #1 corvette dealer on east coast.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
vettluver
Instructor

Default Great News

Just got off the phone with GM service manager. His exact words "we decided to order you a new roof. If we try to fix the existing roof and something happens, like it flies off, we don't want to have any part of that".

I asked what color the underside of the existing roof was and he asked why I wanted to know. He then told me that it was black, and was the old design roof panel. The newer replacement roof panel is white underneath (SMC fiberglass). The parts are on order and they will call when the new roof arrives and is painted. He assured me that there would be no cost to me at all.

Thanks to all who offered their input and experiences on various threads within this site. Thanks especially to allanlaw who posted a very useful link.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
E's Z(D'oh!)6
Advanced

Awesome!!

I spoke to my service manager and got the same result, "We are going to replace your roof." As soon as it comes in they will have it painted and then install it.

E.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
ldimm
Instructor

Glad to see GM is taking care of you. Do make sure that they order new screws along with those new roof's. Reusing just one old screw can mean a rattle or squeak in short order and having to take it apart again. I was told they do not automatically come with the new roof but must be ordered separately.
Just a thought
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ldimm
Glad to see GM is taking care of you. Do make sure that they order new screws along with those new roof's. Reusing just one old screw can mean a rattle or squeak in short order and having to take it apart again. I was told they do not automatically come with the new roof but must be ordered separately.
Just a thought
May be why I had to go back to the dealer twice for squeaking coming from the roof after being replaced.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

I'm really surprised of Kerbeck's attitude toward resolving this issue. They are a forum dealer and they refuse to perform a GM recall???

Perhaps they should include a warning in their ads on this forum: IF YOU DON'T BUY OUR CARS WE WON'T REPAIR IT!

I suspect that there is more to it than revealed.

I purchased a car from them before and had no problem getting work done. Never tried to get repair on a car I didn't buy there. I was thinking about using them again in the future.

Would be interesting to hear their side of the story.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by lonewolf455
hi just got off the phone with kerbeck corvette they refuse to fix my roof on my 2006 corvette . cause i did not buy the car from them,the #1 corvette dealer on east coast.
Well then I will say that the Service at Kerbeck sucks donkey bawls.

They are a GM dealer, I would file a complaint with GM for a start.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Roof Delamination

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
lonewolf455
Instructor

Originally Posted by petefias
I'm really surprised of Kerbeck's attitude toward resolving this issue. They are a forum dealer and they refuse to perform a GM recall???

Perhaps they should include a warning in their ads on this forum: IF YOU DON'T BUY OUR CARS WE WON'T REPAIR IT!

I suspect that there is more to it than revealed.

I purchased a car from them before and had no problem getting work done. Never tried to get repair on a car I didn't buy there. I was thinking about using them again in the future.

Would be interesting to hear their side of the story.
Yes me to. they were very nice when i bought my first vette from them in 2001 for 50 grand,there nothing to reveal my 2006 lmb zo6 is sitting garage not moving till I can find the right dealer to fix it any idea? ps the car has 3000 miles on it.

for 50 grand
Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM
vettluver
Instructor

New roof is in and painted...Car is booked in on Tuesday next week for swap...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM
LUPHOLE
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the info guys. mine flew off and i am looking to get it replaced at the dealer. will post up on how it goes.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Roof Delamination