Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Thanks.

You would simply have to go to the dealer and let them take the screen shot from the module ID info in the PCM. They can at least pull up the correct CVN lists for your VIN online and see if they match. If they do, that is a good sign, but it should be verified with GM Technical Assist Center or PQC.
Rich, does it tell you the date on which the tune was altered from stock? I can see this being a nasty legal issue for people who buy certified inspected GM cars from a Chevy dealership and then find out their "stock, warranteed" car is in fact not due to actions taken before the purchase.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Luweegy
I would contact the original owner and find out what if anything he had done to the car to verify that it was altered before you bought it. We had a 07 Duramax at the dealer for a trans problem.They said it had been tuned.I've serviced this truck since new for a friend of mine. It is bone stock.Come to find out it had been recalibrated in Denver for a DPF problem by a GM dealer.They took care of it under warrenty finally.
GM should have seen the history of programming the truck had done at any dealer. When we called on the D-max in our shop, they were able to tell us when and where it was programmed and for what concern. Since it had a history of multiple programs in the PCM, but only history of 2 programming updates in GM's system, the claim was denied. Also, the CVN's matched perfectly, but it did not matter.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by KMK454
EDIT - If you bought it with 1500 miles on it at a GM DEALERSHIP, shouldn't their 117 point inspection figure this out? Otherwise they gave you a false certification, especially if you can prove the tune happened PRIOR to your purchase of the car!
That proof would be the OP's only chance to recover.
A classic hot potato where who didn't do the tune harder to prove than who did.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the tune has nothing to do with it, other than being used as an excuse to not cover your loss under the warranty.....

you bought the car with 1500 miles, you drove it for over 10000 miles before it popped, think about it logically...

Good luck...
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Landru
That proof would be the OP's only chance to recover.
A classic hot potato where who didn't do the tune harder to prove than who did.
This shouldn't be that hard, though!

Knowing computers, I imagine the Corvette's ECM or whatever it's called keeps a date associated with each change in the computer. At some point, one of those changes or "updates" didn't mesh with a kosher GM tune. Did that date happen before or after the purchase documents were signed at a GM dealership? Seems pretty clear cut... now, will GM release that information if they deem your tune no good?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I'm not so sure about the programing history deal. I know the Duramax ECM have alot more feature that protects or record the integrity but, I've not heard this on other ECM...I'll do some research. I know our ECM have no re-flash counters, so my guess is that your ECM was reflashed with a stock GM tune that was not the one out of the car, hence the number no lining up -a speculation for now-
You seem to be adamant about GM being able not to detect a previous tune that has been flashed back to stock, but offer nothing to back up your assertion. How about you having a tune put on YOUR car, then have it flashed back to stock, then take YOUR car to a dealer and have them run a scan and have them send it off to GM. Are you willing to chance GM blocking your warranty, if they detect the previous tune?

I'm sure others would also be curious about the outcome.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

This shouldn't be that hard, though!
Eliminating that word does-in lawyers.

Knowing computers, I imagine the Corvette's ECM or whatever it's called keeps a date associated with each change in the computer.
As much as I'd enjoy agreeing, that's a risky assumption. The date of a software change probably isn't why programming a feature to count tunes was added, I suspect.
Whatever the reason/purpose, it sounds bulletproof if not well thought out in Chevrolet's best interest(s).

At some point, one of those changes or "updates" didn't mesh with a kosher GM tune.
One would think.
Then again that kind of change, apparently, isn't looked at/checked during a "certified preowned car" process. Wonder if "that" data's only checked against larger warranty claims.

Did that date happen before or after the purchase documents were signed at a GM dealership?
The $64 question.

Seems pretty clear cut... now, will GM release that information if they deem your tune no good?
Given their financial shape, I wouldn't count on it.

Hope the OP can get some satisfaction, a new LS7 ain't cheap by any measure.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Any clue why the valve decided to pop now, after you've driven the car around 10,000 miles? Any clue what the freeze-frame data may have shown? As always, there can be more to this story, but . . . the automatic warranty denial because of a telltale from a past (or current) reprogram has been something that GM has made clear in the last year or so - certainly readers of this Forum know all about it. We can debate whether GM can really tell in all cases, or whether the policy is "fair," but it is what it is. I pity the poor soul who reprogrammed just to get rid of the skip shift, for example . . . . . . or even worse, as may be the case here, buys a used Z without knowledge of prior reprograms.
No one has discussed the ramifications of purchasing a car/truck new and then selling it later on. As this subject becomes more widely known, potential buyers will be leery of purchasing used performance vehicles if they believe there may be a future problem with the warranty due to the previous owner possibly putting a tune on the car and then removing it.

If you are planning to sell your vehicle and have not tuned it, it might be a good selling strategy to have your dealer run a scan and have them confirm that the car has a stock tune and has never has had an aftermaket tune, then you have the paperwork in hand to show a potential buyer. You will also have proof that you have not tuned the car in case something like what the OP has had happened to him, and his lawyer wants to come after you. CYA
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
No one has discussed the ramifications of purchasing a car/truck new and then selling it later on. As this subject becomes more widely known, potential buyers will be leery of purchasing used performance vehicles if they believe there may be a future problem with the warranty due to the previous owner possibly putting a tune on the car and then removing it.

If you are planning to sell your vehicle and have not tuned it, it might be a good selling strategy to have your dealer run a scan and have them confirm that the car has a stock tune and has never has had an aftermaket tune, then you have the paperwork in hand to show a potential buyer. You will also have proof that you have not tuned the car in case something like what the OP has had happened to him, and his lawyer wants to come after you. CYA
Not a bad idea.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:11 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I can understand GM denying the repair, but how does a tune break a valve? Maybe the rev limiter was set to 8K.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Whirls
Advanced

Great. Sorry to hear your troubles

I'm a day or two away from getting a GM certified w/ extended warranty and now this pops up on a used car... a mystery tune from before. I've been down the road before with a European car that lost its motor and had an aftermarket tune on it.

How can the dealership verify a stock, never-been-flashed tune?

EDIT - If you bought it with 1500 miles on it at a GM DEALERSHIP, shouldn't their 117 point inspection figure this out? Otherwise they gave you a false certification, especially if you can prove the tune happened PRIOR to your purchase of the car!
Clarification - I bought it from a dealership up in Missouri that has a bunch of lines (Porsche, BMW, etc) but one of them in Cadillac... Unfortunately it wasn't a Chevrolet dealership so I may be out of luck there....

Last edited by Whirls; 07-28-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Whirls
Advanced

Originally Posted by EViL427
Just curious, but what is the build date on your car? Was it prior to 8/07?
Not sure - the car is still sitting at the dealership until I figure out what to do. I will check as soon as I see the car again - but I'm not in a big hurry right now :-)
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
shifter77
Drifting

YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THE DEALERSHIP THAT SOLD YOU THE CAR.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell your dealer to contact the original owner, and ask them about this. If the owner lies and says he did not do nothing, then it fall unto the responsibility of the dealership to have checked if it was COMPLETELY stock.

Problem solved. Go get you a brand new viper. . .
Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

disregard

Last edited by KMK454; 07-28-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Whirls
Advanced

Another clarification - the Chevy dealership that said I needed a software update didn't do it in December, they said they expect the software update to be out in March or something, but the light never came back on so I didn't bring it in.... I just thought that if they were in the cpu saying I needed a update, they would have noticed that the cpu wasn't stock and blamed the check engine light on that... I gave the Chevy dealer that has my car documents/receipts from when my car was in and they said I needed a software update, but apparently it didn't matter.

If you do a performance tune, wouldn't more than one number on the print out be off? I really need to find out what that one number was and what it relates to as far as engine operation. I also need to see if there is a way to find out when the tune was done. If a shop did it, wouldn't they have record of the VIN? The dealership where my car is said they couldn't tell when it was done, but there has to be some way to figure it out. Maybe GM could tell because they told me it wasn't their fault and I need to go after the dealer that sold me the car, otherwise they would have told me it was my because I had it tuned, don't you think?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Rich, does it tell you the date on which the tune was altered from stock? I can see this being a nasty legal issue for people who buy certified inspected GM cars from a Chevy dealership and then find out their "stock, warranteed" car is in fact not due to actions taken before the purchase.
The PCM does not store a date, but GM's system that is used to communicate with the Tech II does.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty

Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOutZ06
Tell your dealer to contact the original owner, and ask them about this. If the owner lies and says he did not do nothing, then it fall unto the responsibility of the dealership to have checked if it was COMPLETELY stock.

That's not cool...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
That's not cool...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Whirls
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackedOutZ06

Good idea - I have had 2 Vipers and never had a problem with either one.... But, I like the Z06 better - I could actually get the interior to cool off in the Texas summer heat, etc. Well, I used to like it better anyway...

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty