Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Blows Engine [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Muir
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whizkid
If you want to prevent these engine failures in an LS7 you have to address the only fault the engine has--it is not a true dry sump. Until you install the complete dry sump system from Aviaid or anyone else that makes a true one, you are going to have oil piling up in that crankcase increasing the pressure the engine is working against and starving the bearings. That engine is at its limit and any mods to that motor will detract from the reliability if you go road racing with it. Why do you think LG runs a stock LS7 @7000 RPM and gets away with it--because he can!
Not a true dry sump, or not designed to adequately deal with these operating conditions? Wondering what about the design makes it not a "true" dry design.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Muir
Not a true dry sump, or not designed to adequately deal with these operating conditions? Wondering what about the design makes it not a "true" dry design.
There is excellent information all over the forum about this:

Read the posts by ronsc and Painrace.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1570969318

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1571057069

Originally Posted by wstaab
This thread started talking about oil starvation that is the kiss of death for any engine that uses pressure lubrication. The C6 Z06 does not have a true dry sump oiling system as used on many purpose built race cars. The pan is too deep, there is only one pick up, and there is only one scavenge stage. True dry sump systems have shallow pans, multiple pickups with baffling around them and multiple scavenge pumps pulling oil from different points in the pan. The stock system was designed to handle the forces generated by OEM tires, stock suspension and brakes, and stock power levels. When you upgrade the C6 Z06 brakes, suspension, engine power, and tires to slicks or DOT race tires the forces the car can generate are much higher than stock which directly affects the oiling system. A Z06 with upgraded brakes and true competition tires can generate higher forces braking than cornering, which forces oil to the front of the pan away from the pickup. Sometimes high g braking can last longer than high g cornering. Take for instance Road Atlanta turn 10. Downhill from very high speed and long in duration. I have logged low oil pressure braking for turn 10 with the stock oiling system
Modified cars also generate more acceleration forces which force the oil to the rear of the pan. Take for instance Road Atlanta turn 1. High lateral g, full throttle uphill. So is 8 quarts in the stock C6 Z06 oiling system with one pickup and no baffling adequate for a highly modified Z06 that is used for track days on full on race tracks? I doubt it.
If you want a full on track car, oiling system improvements need to be part of the upgrades just like suspension, tires, motor, clutch, etc.
GM decided to add an extra 3+ quarts to the 09 Z06 and the ZR1 oiling system for a reason. This was a cheap solution to avoid substantial engineering costs and retooling cost. Does it help. Time will tell. How many 2009 Z06's and ZR1 have had motor failures during track days?
If you cannot get the oil back to the tank through the scavenge system, the pressure pump cannot do its job to pressure lubricate the engine. It only takes a few seconds with no oil pressure at any rpm over idle to damage engine bearings.
Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I get asked everyonce and awhile. What is the most reliable Corvette for road racing. My answer is very said but pretty true. It's a 1989 Corvette. Why not the FRC or Z06 C6 or C5? Well the 1984-88 cars were tested, and raced then in 1989 Gm took everything they learned at the track and made a production car. The stock car you can take to the track and pound the crap out of it. It wasn't fast, it's not sexy for the now times, they didn't pull high Gs, and didn't have alot of bling, but can be trashed without too many problems.

Why this sucks, well the C5's and C6's are much faster out of the box. Better chassis, LS engines, a healthy aftermarket, and etc. But all of the C5's and C6s need a lot of work before you can pound the crap out of them. With aftermarket parts and a good install you can make them pretty bullet proff.

C6 Z06 has a wet-dry system and shouldn't ever be confused with a Dry-sump. It would be a marketing nightmare to name it a, wet sump with a couple extra quarts in this tank that mounts in the engine bay, the oil gets returned to the tank with a small hose and a internal single stage pump.

Wet sumps, dry sumps and a comb of the two, can work at the track with very stick tires. But not without some tricks, and or hard aftermarket parts.

Randy
http://www.drysump.com/drysump.htm

The "dry sump" system in the C6 Z06, like anything else, is only as good as it's intended application. It was never intended for/built for, use with sticky tires, suspension modifications or aftermarket brake kits. Had that been the case, then a true dry sump system would have been used.

Once you realize that the "dry sump" system in a Z06 is not a true dry sump system, any more than a semi automatic rifle or pistol is an "automatic", then it answers a lot of your questions. Do yourself a great big favor and familiarize yourself with what true dry sump system is, what it does, and how it is designed, and what it is intended for.

It has an oil tank like a true dry sump system has, but much beyond that, the similarities pretty much end at that point.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1570969318

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1571057069

The "dry sump" system in the C6 Z06, like anything else, is only as good as it's intended application. It was never intended for/built for use with sticky tires, suspension modifications or aftermarket brake kits. Had that been the case, then a true dry sump system would have been used.
you want to stire up Captain Marvel again
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
you want to stire up Captain Marvel again
Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

<snip>
Thank you! Answers my Q completely.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:59 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetter Atl
Of course you would....douche....
What a tard.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Difficult to tell from the pictures, but it appears one of the exhaust valves broke and the valve head then took out the piston. After that, the rod thrashes the block to death and parts go everywhere.

One piece valves or possibly forged pistons may have fared better in this situation.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks the same as my single cylinder no 5. I was topping 3rd, cracked the sleeve, the piston lodged and the exhaust valve went through it. I was at 580 RWHP with the stock bottom end and block... good call on the sump, it's what I'm doing.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
Looks the same as my single cylinder no 5. I was topping 3rd, cracked the sleeve, the piston lodged and the exhaust valve went through it. I was at 580 RWHP with the stock bottom end and block... good call on the sump, it's what I'm doing.
I was two cars behind you when that happened. Ouch. Good thing Ken got there with the fire extinguisher.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evo8 MR
........................................ .....
I don't hear much from viper engines blowing up.
Do you think it may have to do that you're on a Corvette Forum ????
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, this kind of stuff almost makes me question why I want to own a z06. This is something I surely do not want to encounter when I buy one. Too bad I will have to buy used. It probably wont see much, if any, real high g turns...more of a street/nice weather toy, so hopefully I wont see the oiling issues.

crazy video anyway and glad you got it all fixed up! :thumb:
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelp if the piston seized, then why didnt the intake valve crack and drop as well?

ChevyCobb, just buy an extended warranty.. if the engine pops chevy will replace it, no big deal.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:47 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8 MR
I would had suit GM for what you went through. What a shame. I was sold when I got my Z06 and now I regret of buying it. It looks good and all that but the engine is having a high unreliable failure rate that I just can't justify.

I don't hear much from viper engines blowing up.
i'M SELLING MY Z06 next spring, I was going to mod it but dont need another LS motor blowing on me, Vipers (especially 96-99 forged) are very strong, the bottom ends can take more than 1000hp, just like the supras.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by klasik-69
Do you think it may have to do that you're on a Corvette Forum ????
actually no it doesnt, I'm an owner of both and am on Viper forums as well, the engines are very stout. I have blown 2 LS motors myself. The only LS motor that GM did right is the LS9(all forged), I dont understand why GM would put cast crap in their performance motors(well I do its called cost)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
actually no it doesnt, I'm an owner of both and am on Viper forums as well, the engines are very stout. I have blown 2 LS motors myself. The only LS motor that GM did right is the LS9(all forged), I dont understand why GM would put cast crap in their performance motors(well I do its called cost)
Then you might know the total number of Vipers on the road vs. Z06's and the relative costs of the two?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you should send the viper to hennessey
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Blows Engine [Video]

Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet

I've seen a number of the Viper V-10 engines blow @ Viper Days.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 PM
NavyVette89
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I dont understand why GM would put cast crap in their performance motors(well I do its called cost)
You blast GM about that and the Viper engine has had cast pistons and powder rods since '00.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Looks like we've got some trolls posting around here. Someone needs to call the exterminator.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Blows Engine [Video]