Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Katech stage 1

For those with this package, how do you like it. How noticeable is the power increase. What is gained in 1/4 mile times and speeds. how would this package compare to the LPE 616 package in performance.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Racer

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
WFO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. But why not start with Jason at Katech. Then you can compare with what others have to say. You will then know specifically what the Stage One kit contains and become more familar with what mods are creating in terms of performance results.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by 427500
For those with this package, how do you like it. How noticeable is the power increase. What is gained in 1/4 mile times and speeds. how would this package compare to the LPE 616 package in performance.

I'm real happy with mine. I drove my car stock for a year and half, and have had it for about another year and a half since Katech modified it. I think their work and packages are top notch. Plus they are very flexible, you can order al a carte darn near anything you can imagine (that's legal anyhow) doing to a Z.

I think the true test of a project like this is whether after it's done if you ask knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again. My answer to that is, you bet I would.

Luv the looks, love the sound, love the power.

And getting to know the Katech gang has been enjoyable as well. I consider them friends of mine.

Unfortunatly I don't know anything about the LPE folks or their products or services, so I can't give you any kind of comparison there.

If you ever blow through Wichita, look me up, and I'll let you check mine out.

Last edited by OnPoint; 06-12-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: cuz i can't type apparently
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I can go on and on about it but I think the best feedback is from our customer's testimonials.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I'm real happy with mine. I drove my car stock for a year and half, and have had it for about another year and a half since Katech modified it. I think their work and packages are top notch. Plus they are very flexible, you can order al a carte darn near anything you can imagine (that's legal anyhow) doing to a Z.

I think the true test of a project like this is whether after it's done if you ask knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again. My answer to that is, you bet I would.

Luv the looks, love the sound, love the power.

And getting to know the Katech gang has been enjoyable as well. I consider them friends of mine.

Unfortunatly I don't know anything about the LPE folks or their products or services, so I can't give you any kind of comparison there.

If you ever blow through Wichita, look me up, and I'll you check mine out.
What did your car dyno after your stage 1
Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

500 to the wheels. I've since added a Halltech CAI, so it probably would do around 505-510 at the wheels per Jason's dyno - which by the way doesn't give out "fantasy" dyno numbers like I get the sense some do. It's real honest power. I also have stock exhaust manifolds. I think you can gain even more if your car is already equipped with long tubes.

And the cam - named the Torquer - earns its label. You can really feel the difference in low end torque compared to stock. This isn't a package that just gives big numbers up top. It gives you useable twist down in the tach where you can feel it/use it.

Plus it's not so high strung as to be unliveable as a street car. Very driveable package.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Racer

500 to the wheels. I've since added a Halltech CAI, so it probably would do around 505-510 at the wheels per Jason's dyno - which by the way doesn't give out "fantasy" dyno numbers like I get the sense some do. It's real honest power. I also have stock exhaust manifolds. I think you can gain even more if your car is already equipped with long tubes.

And the cam - named the Torquer - earns its label. You can really feel the difference in low end torque compared to stock. This isn't a package that just gives big numbers up top. It gives you useable twist down in the tach where you can feel it/use it.

Plus it's not so high strung as to be unliveable as a street car. Very driveable package.
Don't have headers,probably wouldn't get them. Didn't your stage 1 come with the KB
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Subjectively, how much lope does it have? Does it shake the car at idle?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gannet
2 year veteran of Katech stage 1 w/ Fusions and torquer and Halltech KB, Kook headers and high flow cats (not Katech), Vector Tune - across street from Katech)...car used as DD. Additional dynamat and extra bling @ Katech. Project done right, no pressure and class act. All staff there great. I would be first to complain if there were any issues. Mustang dyno is 508 rwhp. Lope before tune (w/ torquer) was extreme (IMO) and non existent after. Would recommend them to anyone!

Car currently there for clutch upgrade - will let all know status in short time.

Bob
Katech # 29

Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gannet
My Katech Torquer cam idles at 800 rpms and I think it has a nice lope to it, the car definently shakes at idle also. Here's a couple videos of my car that might help you get a better idea of the amount of lope the Torquer cam has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OwO-AdCoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkyER2sp3cQ
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I sent my 2007 to Katech with 3,500 miles on it. It had Kooks headers and X-pipe. They added stage 1 cam etc., clutch, Ron Davis radiator, had rear end and transmission balanced, cryo treated and micropolished along with engine paint, MTI spoiler and other minor items. The car now has LG coil overs, MTI anti-roll bars and front splitter.

Katech dynoed it at about 610 flywheel HP with the stock intake. I got one of Jim Hall's first Killer Bees and had it dynoed locally after installation and they got 656 flywheel HP! Just shows the difference in dynos. Katech does give conservative HP numbers but they are the most accurate.

My car has only been tracked twice at both Track Attacks. I added an ARE dry sump and made some oil line changes to help with oil starvation for this year. I am a retired road racer so I do push the car a little further than most.

Now, to your question, "Would I do it again?" Well, I am not happy with what I see on the oil drain plugs so early next week my car is going back to Katech to get the full engine rebuild with their new oil pump and piston squirters. I can't wait to get it back.

I know many of the Katech people including the owner and his wife. They, like Jason, are just first class people. And their techs are also just the best.

LPE has had a lot of issues. I can't knock them because I don't know anything personally. I can tell you I have friends that were once very high on LPE and now will no longer will consider them.

My vote is: KATECH!

Jim
Katech #10

Last edited by Painrace; 06-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Painrace
I sent my 2007 to Katech with 3,500 miles on it. It had Kooks headers and X-pipe. They added stage 1 cam etc., clutch, Ron Davis radiator, had rear end and transmission balanced, cryo treated and micropolished along with engine paint, MTI spoiler and other minor items. The car now has LG coil overs, MTI anti-roll bars and front splitter.

Katech dynoed it at about 610 RWHP with the stock intake. I got one of Jim Hall's first Killer Bees and had it dynoed locally after installation and they got 656 RWHP! Just shows the difference in dynos. Katech does give conservative HP numbers but they are the most accurate.

My car has only been tracked twice at both Track Attacks. I added an ARE dry sump and made some oil line changes to help with oil starvation for this year. I am a retired road racer so I do push the car a little further than most.

Now, to your question, "Would I do it again?" Well, I am not happy with what I see on the oil drain plugs so early next week my car is going back to Katech to get the full engine rebuild with their new oil pump and piston squirters. I can't wait to get it back.

I know many of the Katech people including the owner and his wife. They, like Jason, are just first class people. And their techs are also just the best.

LPE has had a lot of issues. I can't knock them because I don't know anything personally. I can tell you I have friends that were once very high on LPE and now will no longer will consider them.

My vote is: KATECH!

Jim
Katech #10
What do you think is causing the stuff on your drain plugs? Did you have more done than stage 1, your rwhp. is 100 more than others
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 33036
2 year veteran of Katech stage 1 w/ Fusions and torquer and Halltech KB, Kook headers and high flow cats (not Katech), Vector Tune - across street from Katech)...car used as DD. Additional dynamat and extra bling @ Katech. Project done right, no pressure and class act. All staff there great. I would be first to complain if there were any issues. Mustang dyno is 508 rwhp. Lope before tune (w/ torquer) was extreme (IMO) and non existent after. Would recommend them to anyone!

Car currently there for clutch upgrade - will let all know status in short time.

Bob
Katech # 29

Does Vector do the tune for stage 1
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think is causing the stuff on your drain plugs? Did you have more done than stage 1, your rwhp. is 100 more than others
First, you need to know the man that is Jim Painter. Jim has many racing victories and championships under his belt. Even though Jim has only tracked his car twice, I'm quite sure those weren't the only times that car was pushed. Do I want to be a high performance car that is owned by a professional race driver? I guess I'd have to have really bad karma in a past life to deserve that.

I think what Jim was trying to say is that we make choices on what work we want Katech to do to our cars and we live with those choices. I remember when both mine and Jim's cars were at Katech in early '07. We chatted about what we were having done. I didn't know Jim back then as well as I do now so when he told me about the trans and diff work he was doing, I thought it was overkill. A year later, I shipped my car back to Katech to get what Jim had done as well as a few other goodies.

I'm guessing that Jim's decission to send his car back to Katech is more for peace of mind than anything else.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchican
First, you need to know the man that is Jim Painter. Jim has many racing victories and championships under his belt. Even though Jim has only tracked his car twice, I'm quite sure those weren't the only times that car was pushed. Do I want to be a high performance car that is owned by a professional race driver? I guess I'd have to have really bad karma in a past life to deserve that.

I think what Jim was trying to say is that we make choices on what work we want Katech to do to our cars and we live with those choices. I remember when both mine and Jim's cars were at Katech in early '07. We chatted about what we were having done. I didn't know Jim back then as well as I do now so when he told me about the trans and diff work he was doing, I thought it was overkill. A year later, I shipped my car back to Katech to get what Jim had done as well as a few other goodies.

I'm guessing that Jim's decission to send his car back to Katech is more for peace of mind than anything else.
Thank you, Tommy. I do not think the stock internals will hold up to someone like me pushing the car. My car has been about 203-204 MPH! Tommy, just how fast did the cop clock you and Joann at?

I think the bearings or pistons or something is wearing. I just don't like it and I just want to take any chances on having the car 500 miles from home and having an engine problem. I would not worry about normal driving and occasionally getting on it on the street. If you are going to hammer it on a road course and get the oil temps i the 270-280 degree range then I think you need better internals.

My post should have said flywheel HP not rear wheel HP. Sorry. I edited the post. When you get old you do stupid things like that.

Jim
Old 06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 141 Posts

427500 - As he states, chassis dynos have huge variability dyno to dyno. So large that katech does not use a chassis dyno but rather an engine dyno to my understanding... The bottom line, chassis dynos are relatively useless unless you get a baseline and use the same dyno(within a short period of time) to lmeasure changes... Few dynos if any are calibrated like they should be after installation and so their absolute number they output is useless.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech stage 1

Old 06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Does Vector do the tune for stage 1
Vector did last tune after they added Kook headers and high flow cats to Fusions (and other Stage 1 stuff) that Katech installed...Their Mustang dyno is very conservative, so I would be very careful when comparing rwhp claims that abound on the Forum.

Any more power (IMO) would only melt more tires.

Great car before, phenomenal car now and I smile on a daily basis as used as a DD.

I have been back to Katech (unfortunately for me, I only live 15 minutes away) for 160 thermostat, Dewitts, Koolmat and Dynamat sound insulation).

Personnel and service have been great.

Would absolutely do again if I upgraded to new car!

Bob

Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

Thankyou all for your comments. I knew Jason and the folks at Katech are Top Shelf. Jason answers alot of questions for people on this forum,he's a class act all the way. I just wanted to know if some of the people with Katech Zs were happy that they modded there car. If I decide mod mine, I know who I'm going to have do it. KATECH THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE
Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painrace
Thank you, Tommy. I do not think the stock internals will hold up to someone like me pushing the car. My car has been about 203-204 MPH! Tommy, just how fast did the cop clock you and Joann at?

Jim
Well, I only have tiny gonads compared to yours, so I only did that once. Interesting though... I hadn't been on that stretch of hwy since I got that ticket. 2 weeks ago, a group of us went through there on our way to the eastern Sierras. I wore this just incase I got the itch to repeat.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech stage 1