Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Active Handling System problem

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
oldvet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Active Handling System problem

Hope you guys can help with an intermintant problem with my Cooksey Z06

I get the message "Service Active Handling System" and can't deactivate it.

I will feel and hear a click in the brake pedal went I start the engine.

The brake light remain on while engine is running, and setting the parking brake will turn them off

Cruise control will not function.

I went to the dealer whose service manager observed the problems but by the time it got to the service dept the problems resolved themselves and they couldn't replicate the problems. Car has been fine for two weeks and now the problems are back. Have any of you been through this and can tell me where the trouble is? THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM
shifter77
Drifting

DO you have aggresive brake pads? IF yes, that indication will come on.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Curz
Racer

Originally Posted by oldvet

The brake light remain on while engine is running, and setting the parking brake will turn them off

I went to the dealer whose service manager observed the problems but by the time it got to the service dept the problems resolved themselves and they couldn't replicate the problems. Car has been fine for two weeks and now the problems are back. Have any of you been through this and can tell me where the trouble is? THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME!!!
I had the exact same problem with the brake lights and it ended up needing a BCM reflash.

As far as the Service Active Handling - do you have non OEM size tires on? if so, what sizes?
Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
oldvet
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by shifter77
DO you have aggresive brake pads? IF yes, that indication will come on.
Bone Stock
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Joe C5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to believe it did not set a DTC. Unfortunatly I'm not sure those can be read with "normal" handheld DTC readers (like the one you can borrow at autozone). Since most handhelds only read engine and emissions codes, you probably can't pick them up easily. Possibly next time you go in you can request them to attach a Tech-II and read the codes and provide them to you. They maybe someone can then armchair quarterback for you .

Last edited by Joe C5; 05-23-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Read through this thread as well - some good info I put up

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-action.html
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 PM
billcar9999
Instructor

When I got my 08 Z06, I got the "Service Active Handling" message within a couple of days. I talked to the Vette mechanic at the dealership. He knew exactly what the problem was. There is a switch or sensor on the brake pedal that measures lateral pressure or something like that (not sure exactly) on the pedal. If it's defective, it will cause the message. He changed the sensor and the problem was gone.

I don't know about the other issues you described. At that point, I'd only had the car for about 3 days. I hadn't used cruise control yet. I don't recall seeing the dash Brake light. I remember hearing the pedal click but I don't remember if that was on my convertible or Z06.

Try this: With the car running and in neutral. Put your foot on the lower right corner of the brake pedal. Without moving your foot off of the brake pedal, push the brake and roll your foot over to hit the gas pedal. This puts pressure on the pedal pushing it towards the left front, not directly to the left. This is basically how I heel/toe shift.

I could reproduce the problem but it was easier to induce when you're actually doing a heel/toe than when sitting in the service lane. Pushing the pedal straight down won't induce the problem.

Last edited by billcar9999; 05-24-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billcar9999
When I got my 08 Z06, I got the "Service Active Handling" message within a couple of days. I talked to the Vette mechanic at the dealership. He knew exactly what the problem was. There is a switch or sensor on the brake pedal that measures lateral pressure or something like that (not sure exactly) on the pedal. If it's defective, it will cause the message. He changed the sensor and the problem was gone.

I don't know about the other issues you described. At that point, I'd only had the car for about 3 days. I hadn't used cruise control yet. I don't recall seeing the dash Brake light. I remember hearing the pedal click but I don't remember if that was on my convertible or Z06.

Try this: With the car running and in neutral. Put your foot on the lower right corner of the brake pedal. Without moving your foot off of the brake pedal, push the brake and roll your foot over to hit the gas pedal. This puts pressure on the pedal pushing it towards the left front, not directly to the left. This is basically how I heel/toe shift.

I could reproduce the problem but it was easier to induce when you're actually doing a heel/toe than when sitting in the service lane. Pushing the pedal straight down won't induce the problem.
This is the 1st I've heard of this.Do you have the repair order from this? I only drive the car now with it in traction and handling off.I don't trust it anymore.The Vette tech at my friends dealership is not helpfull at all with this problem.I'm gonna try this in the morning.He is blaming it on my HP Tuner tune.Which has been in the car for yrs.This problem just started about a month ago.My car is a 06 with 20k miles on it.Thanx

Last edited by Luweegy; 05-24-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Luweegy
This is the 1st I've heard of this.Do you have the repair order from this? I only drive the car now with it in traction and handling off.I don't trust it anymore.The Vette tech at my friends dealership is not helpfull at all with this problem.I'm gonna try this in the morning.He is blaming it on my HP Tuner tune.Which has been in the car for yrs.This problem just started about a month ago.My car is a 06 with 20k miles on it.Thanx
Repair order? Are you looking for the part number? I can look for it but I think this was a change for the 08. I'm taking my car in for service on Tuesday and I'll ask about it.

What are you doing when the message comes on?

I'd get a different tech. Did he even hook up a tech II to look for codes? Return the tune to stock to prove it's not the tune. Better yet, have him explain why it's the tune.

If I recall correctly, the ECM gets the AH status message from the EBCM and displays it. The EBCM is the heart of the active handling system. It handles the inputs from the sensors, polls other systems and makes the decisions. So the tune wouldn't have any impact on AH. I'm sure others in the forum know more about this than I do and will chime in.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the same codes with his Tech 2 that I pulled with my HP tuners.My car is out of warrenty and way Moded.So This dealer is the only chance I've got with help.I'll scan again tomorrow when I try the brake pedal idea.I know the EBCM is the heart of the system.The tech is a bit of a egotistic jerk but I have to be carefull not to **** him off.I've had some strange stuff go on in this car lately with codes.Thanx for your help here.When the message comes up I hit the reset button and it goes away.Sometimes for days. I haven't seen it lately,but I don't drive it with any nannys on. At 1st I was getting ck tire pressure sensors and Ck charging system.But now just AH.

Last edited by Luweegy; 05-25-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Luweegy
At 1st I was getting ck tire pressure sensors and Ck charging system.But now just AH.
I was getting the exact same thing, but don't have a ton of mods.

TP would randomly read high or low and then go away. all of a sudden I would get a random service active handling light on my display.

A few people have contacted me about our efforts to get GM to admit there is a problem. I just hope it doesn't take one of us kicking the bucket due to a AH induced accident.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
andrehalito
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the brake pedal positions sensor (also the brake light switch) has been installed wrong and possibly broken which would make an audible click and set the brake lights. its a very delicate switch and prone to damadge if moved out of position durring install. you can pull the under dash cover and inspect the area for the clicking sound. if its the switch than replace it. also under there is a white plastic connector that relates steering wheel position to the bcm. the plug connector is crappy and prone to poor contact. remove the plug clean the contacts tighten them and plug it back in. you really need the codes to make a more precise guess.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

If you are starting to see random messages, I would think that the battery is going bad or you have a bad ground somewhere.

The battery is the easiest thing to deal with. If it's an AC Delco that is a couple of years old, assume its going bad. Especially if the car sits for any amount of time. Start monitoring the volt meter to see what happens during the start up cycle, when you turn the radio on, the AC cycles, press the brake pedal, etc.

Chasing ground problems can take a long time and get expensive if you have someone else work on it. A quick visual check under the hood won't take long.

Another possibility is water/moisture getting into the wire bundle between the firewall and the fuse box under the hood. I've heard of this being a problem but haven't experienced it.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

If you are starting to see random messages, I would think that the battery is going bad or you have a bad ground somewhere.

The battery is the easiest thing to deal with. If it's an AC Delco that is a couple of years old, assume its going bad. Especially if the car sits for any amount of time. Start monitoring the volt meter to see what happens during the start up cycle, when you turn the radio on, the AC cycles, press the brake pedal, etc.

Chasing ground problems can take a long time and get expensive if you have someone else work on it. A quick visual check under the hood won't take long.

Another possibility is water/moisture getting into the wire bundle between the firewall and the fuse box under the hood. I've heard of this being a problem but haven't experienced it.
Sigh... Another possibility is gm screwed up. There are plenty of us out there now with random intermittent AH and other related issues that all tie back to the ecbm. Just wait OP - your problems are just starting. Wait till your car decides to take a 90 degree turn going 30mph but don't worry AH will also apply the brakes for you adding another challenge to steer through.

Most service techs will perform the tsb. Nowadays they'll do anything under warranty if keeps they service bays full and money coming in
Old 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM
billcar9999
Instructor

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Sigh... Another possibility is gm screwed up. There are plenty of us out there now with random intermittent AH and other related issues that all tie back to the ecbm. Just wait OP - your problems are just starting. Wait till your car decides to take a 90 degree turn going 30mph but don't worry AH will also apply the brakes for you adding another challenge to steer through.

Most service techs will perform the tsb. Nowadays they'll do anything under warranty if keeps they service bays full and money coming in
These things aren't new and don't just happen to Corvettes or GM products. Every car out there has issues. Believe it or not, the same kind of things happened before all the computers and technology were integrated. The biggest difference is you could fix them back then without a computer science degree.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

These things aren't new and don't just happen to Corvettes or GM products. Every car out there has issues. Believe it or not, the same kind of things happened before all the computers and technology were integrated. The biggest difference is you could fix them back then without a computer science degree.
So because its common, it should be accepted?

Here is my main concern...if the AH has a failure it should turn off - but it doesn't. It does just the opposite. Let me explain.
When I drive my car I turn off the AH and TC. If I get a AH warning it turns itself back on and will NOT allow me to disengage. Now if something is wrong with the AH why in the hell would they program it to turn ON rather than turn OFF and give the driver a warning such as "Hey buddy - I'm hands off so drive with caution".

Instead the same system that just computed an error decided it was in the best position to protect you. Like going to the bar with a DD who gets wasted and says, "Guys, I'm still good to drive everyone home, I mean I'm drunk as hell and can't see straight, but I am the DD according to my title".

In the end both result in a possible vehicle related death.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
andrehalito
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

lets stay on the issues. get the codes.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling System problem

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
novaz06
Pro

You should report the problem to the NHTSA. I had an AH/TC problem and reported it, and I know a few other folks have as well. This way, all of the information can be aggregated and analyzed by someone - it might help other owners in the future. You tax dollars are paying for this anyway, might as well use it. Here is what the investigator sent me when I reported my problem:

Thank you very much for the information. If you know some other owners who have had problems with the Stability Control system please ask them to also fill out official complaint forms at the www.safercar.gov or call our hotline at 888-327-4236.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen McHenry
Investigator, US D.O.T.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation
NVS-213 Room W48-217
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington D.C. 20590-0001
202.366.4883 or 1.877.536.8368 x-64883
Fax 202.366.3171
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
mammad78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldvet

i'm having the exact same problem, what did cause this? solution?

thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
mammad78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mammad78
i'm having the exact same problem, what did cause this? solution?

thanks
anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Active Handling System problem