Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my motor is blown but not blown up...

Just wanted to know how many have blown up their ls7's but kept it a secret...

Mine is just fine!!!!!

Originally Posted by EViL427
Please don't tell me you blew your motor.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Older thread. Nevermind.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM
ItDoneBlewUp!
6th Gear

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I understand, and thanks for the explanation.

Hypothetically speaking, were you to own such a car as the Z06, and have it's engine fail, would you be inclined to state that the car was modified, if that were the case, knowing that hypothetically, the warranty for a new engine might be denied as a result of said statement?

Also, hypothetically, which types of pictures, and specifically what pictures, or other evidence would one hypothetically want to gather in support of their case, and to protect themselves, were such a mishap to occur?

What would one need a picture of in order to protect themselves in such a matter?

Thank you.

Again, all of this is completely hypothetical.
Hypothetically, if I were to buy a Z06, it would probably be because, in my opinion, it requires no performance mods in the drivetrain. That coupled with the fact that I would not want to be left with the $13,000 bill for a new engine + additional parts + labor if said car were to have it's engine disassemble itself at a high rate of speed and velocity due to a defect in the design or manufacturing of said vehicle. So, hypothetically, I would not be inclined to modify the drive train of such a car. Especially with it's history of catastrophic engine failures. Furthermore, I would then not need to lie or fail to disclose any modifications of said vehicle simply because it would be true.

Last edited by ItDoneBlewUp!; 06-04-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ItDoneBlewUp!
Hypothetically, if I were to buy a Z06, it would probably be because, in my opinion, it requires no performance mods in the drivetrain. That coupled with the fact that I would not want to be left with the $13,000 bill for a new engine + additional parts + labor if said car were to have it's engine disassemble itself at a high rate of speed and velocity due to a defect in the design or manufacturing of said vehicle. So, hypothetically, I would not be inclined to modify the drive train of such a car. Especially with it's history of catastrophic engine failures. Furthermore, I would then not need to lie or fail to disclose any modifications of said vehicle simply because it would be true.
Got it.

So the lesson to be learned here, is that all of this is hypothetical.

So far, I'm not seeing that many repoorts of stock engines, with stock tunes, failing in these real cars.

We know about the batch of bad rockers which found their way into a few of the '07 models.

I have heard of very few stock '06, '08s, or '09s failing.

Hypothetically, if you were to buy a Z06, what year would it be?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM
muzzman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Mine is still running just fine, thank you. 2006 C6Z driven HARD on Hoosier A6s. No oil starvation problem.

Frank Gonzalez
You call that hard?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well so far it looks like about 5 or 6 engine failures. 2 or 3 of which are track only cars.

This of course doesn't count the ones that people saw in service bays elsewhere. But those are just hearsay.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Got it.

So the lesson to be learned here, is that all of this is hypothetical.

So far, I'm not seeing that many repoorts of stock engines, with stock tunes, failing in these real cars.

We know about the batch of bad rockers which found their way into a few of the '07 models.

I have heard of very few stock '06, '08s, or '09s failing.

Hypothetically, if you were to buy a Z06, what year would it be?
A guy here in town lost his bone stock 08Z last fall (oil starvation). I lost My 08Z earlier this month. I broke the #5 piston and cracked the sleeve. My mods were heads, milled .020 and mild cam/tune. An instructor at he last HPDE I attended is on his 3rd motor, all bone stock.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I snapped my #1 exhaust valve & then it drop! Motor gone. At the time, I had 17xxx miles. Mostly track miles & driven at 7k rpm all the time. It had CAI, headers, cam & tune mod work on motor. It is an '06 C6Z. Never bother taking it to the dealer. On my 2nd motor now with about 4k miles on the new motor & 2 track days. Slowed down a bit on track days cuz of $$$$. Don't have $$ for tires. But she's all paid for & I plan on keeping her!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GM faithful can say what they want I bet the numbers are greater than 1% for failure.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
ItDoneBlewUp!
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dfinke23
A guy here in town lost his bone stock 08Z last fall (oil starvation). I lost My 08Z earlier this month. I broke the #5 piston and cracked the sleeve. My mods were heads, milled .020 and mild cam/tune. An instructor at he last HPDE I attended is on his 3rd motor, all bone stock.
Do you know whether or not GM covered these guys?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Yeah, I read your thread.

How is the resleeve going?

Also, what tires were these cars on if you know?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1stZ
I snapped my #1 exhaust valve & then it drop! Motor gone. At the time, I had 17xxx miles. Mostly track miles & driven at 7k rpm all the time. It had CAI, headers, cam & tune mod work on motor. It is an '06 C6Z. Never bother taking it to the dealer.
Yeah, I doubt you were going to get 100,000 miles out of that motor.

On my 2nd motor now with about 4k miles on the new motor & 2 track days. Slowed down a bit on track days cuz of $$$$. Don't have $$ for tires. But she's all paid for & I plan on keeping her!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ItDoneBlewUp!
Do you know whether or not GM covered these guys?
Hypothetically.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 128 Likes on 51 Posts

I snapped my #1 exhaust valve & then it drop! Motor gone. At the time, I had 17xxx miles. Mostly track miles & driven at 7k rpm all the time. It had CAI, headers, cam & tune mod work on motor. It is an '06 C6Z. Never bother taking it to the dealer.
full throttle, 7k RPM, for 17K hard miles......a testament to the engineering in this engine. I'd say you got your money worth out of that engine.

Not many engines can take that kind of abuse for 17K miles. There are other unmodded C6Zs that also have 10-20K track miles and have not suffered engine failures.

I suspect our cars are typically driven harder more often than some of the more expensive European cars. That is what most likely accounts for the possibility of higher rate of failures.

My '06Z is bone stock and not one issue.

Tom
The following users liked this post:
NavyAirTraffic (09-24-2023)
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 AM
evo8 MR
Racer

From what I am seeing this is a very fragile engine indeed. There are many N/A engines out there from other manufacturers that take much more abuse and last much longer and aren't even exotic.

I am very concern. For a $13000 engine it should be way more solid than that.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 AM
ItDoneBlewUp!
6th Gear

Originally Posted by evo8 MR
From what I am seeing this is a very fragile engine indeed. There are many N/A engines out there from other manufacturers that take much more abuse and last much longer and aren't even exotic.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by evo8 MR

Some examples of 500-600 hp NA engines that are more reliable with equal abuse please.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:54 AM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Originally Posted by robvuk
Some examples of 500-600 hp NA engines that are more reliable with equal abuse please.
This wouldn't be the argument I would use were I attempting to defend the reliability of the LS7.

Mercedes AMG put their N/A 6.2 +5xx motor in just about every freaking car they produce

Aston Martin's +500 N/A motor is good too.

Ferrari is self-explanatory.

Lamborghini self-explanatory.

Audi has a model or two IIRC.

Etc.

But your question is off topic from the thread.

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Last edited by thee Dragon; 06-04-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's

Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 AM
7.0ltrpower
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

...so..is it because the lifters can't stand the compression of 7.0?...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thee Dragon
This wouldn't be the argument I would use were I attempting to defend the reliability of the LS7.

Mercedes AMG put their N/A 6.2 +5xx motor in just about every freaking car they produce

Aston Martin's +500 N/A motor is good too.

Ferrari is self-explanatory.

Lamborghini self-explanatory.

Audi has a model or two IIRC.

Etc.

But your question is off topic from the thread.

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC
With the exception of the Ferrari, (and very few of those), I have not seen any of those other cars on a track.

Oh. Stay on topic.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Originally Posted by robvuk
With the exception of the Ferrari, (and very few of those), I have not seen any of those other cars on a track.

Oh. Stay on topic.
Ferrari has an entire season racing series dedicated to private owners.

And . . . You're right! ONLY Ferrari and ZO6 owners go to the track (sarcasm intended )

Back on topic

Last edited by thee Dragon; 06-04-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's