Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 09 Z06 Transmission Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
locoracer83
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 09 Z06 Transmission Bearings

I searched the FAQ section, and perhaps missed this topic, but I'll ask anyway. The back story is I have been working toward an upgrade to a Z06 and the time to trade in the 05 C6 recently came. I found a Z06 with the options I seek and I took a test drive. Not even a mile into the drive an obvious transmission issue was heard. I turned around and took the car (13 miles on OD) straight to the service deparment. I fully trust the dealer and have purchased many vehicles there. A problem was confirmed. I was later told the transmission was pulled and a "bad bearing" was replaced. OK, I agree to another test drive. While much, much better, I still hear what I would consider unusual tranny noise. Question: Is there an inherent characteristic (I'd loosely call it a harmonic type sound in the same rpm range in all gears) with the Z06? Or, perhaps the more obvious--this a problem car and stay away? What say the experienced Z06 owners? FYI My C6 has been 100% reliable and trouble-free.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by locoracer83
I searched the FAQ section, and perhaps missed this topic, but I'll ask anyway. The back story is I have been working toward an upgrade to a Z06 and the time to trade in the 05 C6 recently came. I found a Z06 with the options I seek and I took a test drive. Not even a mile into the drive an obvious transmission issue was heard. I turned around and took the car (13 miles on OD) straight to the service deparment. I fully trust the dealer and have purchased many vehicles there. A problem was confirmed. I was later told the transmission was pulled and a "bad bearing" was replaced. OK, I agree to another test drive. While much, much better, I still hear what I would consider unusual tranny noise. Question: Is there an inherent characteristic (I'd loosely call it a harmonic type sound in the same rpm range in all gears) with the Z06? Or, perhaps the more obvious--this a problem car and stay away? What say the experienced Z06 owners? FYI My C6 has been 100% reliable and trouble-free.
We have 3 C6 Z06s in our club and none have any strange tranny noise. If in doubt, don't consider the car. There are many out there and a tranny problem could go on forever.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues like that, or any for that matter on my '09 ZO6 with 1,050 miles so far.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

There are plenty of Z's out there, I would pass on that one as I have never heard tranny noise in my Z.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2009 Z06 and I have that same noise. So do some other people here on the forum. I get a whine after the engine is warmed up between 2000 and 3000 RPM that increases in pitch. I wasn't going to take it in, but I suspect that I will have to now. I thought that I heard it from the drive tunnel, but my wife hears it from the back of the car. Here is the other thread about the condition:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...m-exhaust.html
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM
locoracer83
Instructor

Thanks to all for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To 09 Z06 Transmission Bearings

Quick Reply: [Z06] 09 Z06 Transmission Bearings