Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone experienced a vibration resonating sound from exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine only happens when I accelerate. If I'm just sitting beteen 2K & 3K RPMs with my foot off the gas, I don't get the vibration. As soon as I put my foot down, I hear it until I get past 3K RPMs...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Not sure if it is the same thing, it only happens when the car is warm and only around 2800 rpm. Also the heat tape they used did help some, so if it was internal to teh muffler I think the symptoms would be3 different.

There my in fact be different issues for differnet people
true. Could be different. However, the baffle issue only presents after heated up as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I know that noise. Had it betweeh 2,500 and 3,200 rpm. Sounded like it was coming from the muffler/subframe area. Mine was like a "whoosh" noise. I'm convinced it was coming from a muffler(s).

Took it to the dealer as it's under warranty and of course, dealer said they couldn't find it and nothing they could do.... Had it back to them twice. I told them it was coming from a muffler and they said "prove it". Oh how I detest those people.

I proceeded to cut into the mufflers to do muffler mod. I had been planning to do this for some time. While in there I reinforced the baffles by welding in place with a solid bead along their length. These baffles are only spot welded in place. I believe the noise is a resonance from the baffles oscillating.

Welded the cans back together and reinstalled.

Noise gone.

Rick
yep! Thats the issue!!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

do they have a lemon law for noise isnt it 3 strikes and they are out?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Have the rattle bad. When I did them uffler mod I welded a few extra tacks trying to keep this from happending, guess i need to wald more, or a solid beed.

Cutting open tonight, so will let you guys know.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

OK, did not take pics, as I was very dirty and did not think about it at the time. But will give you guys a good written description.

First I figured out it was only the driver side muffler rattling. so took it off, and cut open from the outside, (cut the inside when i did the Muffler mod) pulled the packing out, and the back wall/baffle (wall with the tips) was not cracked. and looked to be in place. BUT the front wall/baffle (side the over the axel pip come in on) was cracked. The crack was a fish hook shape, starting at one of the pipes, and swopped through the middle and back. we welded all the cracks up, and put tack weld on the baffles again to make sure I did not have to cut it open again. I don’t think the walls are going to move, but the baffle walls may split/crack who knows. not even sure how that happens but it did.

welded it all back up and installed and car has NO RATELS at all, quite or loud mode nothing but the exhaust note.
The following users liked this post:
sam-garcia (10-25-2023)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
calherc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a vibration once the car warmed up at moderate acceleration. I swore it was coming from the mufflers, which have the mod. It drove me crazy, so I brought it to Andy at A&A Corvette, who did the mod. Put it up on a lift and everything of course looked perfect. Even put a camara in the muffler and could see the welds perfectly. Turned out to be the springs that support the exhaust in the middle of the system. Used wire to keep them and tight and believe it or not, the noise is gone. I would have bet anything, it was the baffle weld inside the muffler, but it wasn't. Hopefully this will help someone.
sam-garcia (10-25-2023)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by calherc1
Had a vibration once the car warmed up at moderate acceleration. I swore it was coming from the mufflers, which have the mod. It drove me crazy, so I brought it to Andy at A&A Corvette, who did the mod. Put it up on a lift and everything of course looked perfect. Even put a camara in the muffler and could see the welds perfectly. Turned out to be the springs that support the exhaust in the middle of the system. Used wire to keep them and tight and believe it or not, the noise is gone. I would have bet anything, it was the baffle weld inside the muffler, but it wasn't. Hopefully this will help someone.
Can you give a little more detail of what you did with the wire? Also, what type of wire?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM
calherc1
Advanced

Rattle is back, thought it might be the license plate rattling against the frame, but it was not. I now think it may be the heat shield rattling against the floor pan. I lifted my hatch and knocked on the cargo area floor and hear a similar rattle. I now just need to figure out how to fix it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Just had my problem fixed (had exact same symptoms): one of the baffles was cracked. Roger at Texas Quality Performance Exhaust who also did my muffler mod, fixed it right up free of charge. I wasn't around to see the inside while he had it opened (evidently they're very thin). He said this has happened before (though not common) after the muffler mod, only with highly modded engines (higher HP, higher flow, higher pressure, etc.). My car is stock so I was the first one he had seen this happen to. This did happen after it started getting cold in Houston (~40F), so I wonder if that played a factor?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Vibration sound from Z06 exhaust

I resurrected this thread because I have the same problem. My Z06 is a 2008 model that I have owned since new. 4 years ago it had a muffler mod, but the rest of the exhaust is100% OEM. With the exception of a minor resonance just off idle, for the last 4 years the muffler mod has been terrific. About 4 months ago, I noticed that at 2500 rpm my exhaust was making a tinny, metallic resonance sound that is really irritating. Doesn't matter what gear it is in. It will do it in neutral as well.

This is what I have gone through to try to fix it:
1. remove mufflers/pipes cut open and check for cracks in the baffles -- none found,
2. replace exhaust donut gaskets between H pipe and cats
3. check for clearance everywhere -- had 1/4" minimum
4. retorque bolts and nuts to GM specs
5. reposition H pipe spring mount and retighten
6. install 4 hose clamps around rubber muffler mounts and retighten
7. reposition hose clamps and retighten.

None of these steps has made the resonance go away. Unless you can suggest something better the car will go to a local muffler shop to let someone else try.
sam-garcia (10-25-2023)
Old 11-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Bump...

I have the same thing, and was curious if Z.06 found the problem?

I describe mine as a slight vibration - when warm, when the R's are ~1700-2100, idle or in gear. SOUNDS like a mechanical vibration/noise, muffs hitting something, but haven't located it yet. Corsa ZR1's caxle backs on a s/c GS M6.

Definitely not the torque tube.

Anyone?

TIA
sam-garcia (10-25-2023)
Old 11-19-2016, 06:22 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Bump...

I have the same thing, and was curious if Z.06 found the problem?

I describe mine as a slight vibration - when warm, when the R's are ~1700-2100, idle or in gear. SOUNDS like a mechanical vibration/noise, muffs hitting something, but haven't located it yet. Corsa ZR1's caxle backs on a s/c GS M6.

Definitely not the torque tube.

Anyone?

TIA
inside one or both of the mufflers, the partition is cracked. you wont be able to see it unless you cut the mufflers open, even then its sometimes hard to see. while I was repairing mine, I did the muffler mod. all good now
Chiselchst (11-20-2016)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:57 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTheStigGalt
Mine only happens when I accelerate. If I'm just sitting beteen 2K & 3K RPMs with my foot off the gas, I don't get the vibration. As soon as I put my foot down, I hear it until I get past 3K RPMs...
I KNOW this is an old thread but can you please listen to my noise. I think I have the same exact problem. It should be audible in any of this vids from my Google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46
Old 10-25-2023, 03:32 PM
JZ061977
4th Gear

On my first C6Z after I had a muffler shop install BB cat back it was making a ton of noise. No matter what they did we couldn't completely eliminate it. I finally had them put a couple of tack welds and it was quiet after that.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Wingshooter
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sam-garcia
I KNOW this is an old thread but can you please listen to my noise. I think I have the same exact problem. It should be audible in any of this vids from my Google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46
sam-Garcia: Like I mentioned in your other post, use your stethoscope at the mufflers. You’ll know immediately. It’s a somewhat common problem with C6 Z06. Some have had their OEM mufflers repaired or otherwise modified. I bought a replacement muffler. I couldn’t find an OEM right-side Z06 muffler so I ended up with a used ZR1 muffler.
if that’s your problem, it’s a bit of a fight to replace unless you can get the car high enough. I needed a little more height than a QuikJack and the tall blocks would do. I might’ve stacked a hockey puck on top of the blocks, can’t remember.
sam-garcia (10-25-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 10:48 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingshooter
sam-Garcia: Like I mentioned in your other post, use your stethoscope at the mufflers. You’ll know immediately. It’s a somewhat common problem with C6 Z06. Some have had their OEM mufflers repaired or otherwise modified. I bought a replacement muffler. I couldn’t find an OEM right-side Z06 muffler so I ended up with a used ZR1 muffler.
if that’s your problem, it’s a bit of a fight to replace unless you can get the car high enough. I needed a little more height than a QuikJack and the tall blocks would do. I might’ve stacked a hockey puck on top of the blocks, can’t remember.
Wingshooter:
My bad, I know I keep posting because I'm desperate and I don't want to start needlessly spending money on this or that until there's a high likelihood that it's the correct thing to replace...

So at this this point, I have gotten under the car with the engine running and put the stethoscope all over the place but the freakin rattle only seems to show up while the car is under load and moving.

It seems to start up after the car reaches operating temperature...

I've had one transmission shop ride with me and they were "sure" it's not the transmission or torque tube since the car runs and drives perfectly fine otherwise. They said a failing torque tube would sound a lot different (though I'm not sure how much experience they have with corvettes) They told me that it's probably something behind the dash.

This week a different shop actually took the time to put the car on the lift, turn off traction control and try to listen for the noise while revving. Unfortunately the noise only seems to happen when the car is under load.

Lastly, here's what I tried and my thoughts:
1. I've tried using my quickjacks to visually inspect and tighten anything that might appear lose under the car, under hood, any bolt I can get to behind dash (which isn't many)

2. I've read that a faulty harmonic balancer can cause rattle (but a friend says the harmonic balancer wouldn't be influenced by certain RPM)

3. I've read the the catalytic converters can fail and or mufflers and cause a rattle (but the videos I've listened to online make a distinct noise different that what I hear)

4. I've removed the plate that cover the torque tube to visually check for anything obvious (the link has my photos of that and the videos are labeled for reference https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46)

5. I've banged around the dry sump oil hoses under the hood but doubt it's that.

6. I've read some folks had a broken o-ring inside dry sump oil tank but the few videos I found sounded like a much different type of rattle

7. I've gotten under the car with it running using the cheap harbor freight stethoscope and tried to listen to anything out of the ordinary but noise only shows up while under load..

8. I noticed the power steering reservoir looks like fluid somehow leaks out of it but no drips or anything and I don't see how that could possibly be related but I did read in some corvette forum online about a guy that had a failing power steering pump or pulley replace it and got rid of his rattle so that's why I bring this up...

9. I've repeatedly tried to adjust the shifter as seen in Froggy's tutorial but doesn't seem to make a difference. The weird little rattle/ shows up once the car is warmed up and through all the gears at various RPM...

Here's a YouTube link to my noise and another link to more videos in the description in case anyone feels like taking a listen.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:42 AM
Wingshooter
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm. Well that sucks. That would definitely aggravate the hell out of me until I found it.
The only thing I can think to recommend is have someone drive the car while you try to pinpoint the general area it’s coming from while riding shotgun. I’ve found dash and interior panel-type rattles like this before. Maybe take your stethoscope with you. You could at least eliminate the interior and shifter area. I’m not sure what else to suggest.

sam-garcia (11-04-2023)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone experienced a vibration resonating sound from exhaust?