Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone experienced a vibration resonating sound from exhaust?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverNBlackC6
Just got an 06 Z and have the same issue. It seems to be more apparent in 1st gear up to about 2700 rpm's. Let me know if any of you figure out the solution. It's an 06 Z with 21k miles.

Im gonna figure it out one way or another because I cant stand it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Randude12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust noises

I pulled the fuse on my stock exhaust (2008 Z06) and it made a loud droning noise inside the car at mid RPM in any gear.
I fixed it by putting on the New Corsa Xtreme exhaust. The exhaust rumble sounds dramatically better, there is no drone at all anymore and it added 15-20HP.
I highly recommend the Corsa Xtreme exhaust for the Z06.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Does this sound like what some of you are hearing?:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-bearings.html
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Your dilemma sounds like mine. It happens at the same rpm etc. But I do notice if I tap the brakes, it will go away. I hold the gas and keep the rpm up and than slightly apply brake and its gone. I am thinking it may be something in my rear passenger side brake vibrating at resonance.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I have a similar sound on my 09 Z. It hapens after the car is at oerating temps. It is coming from the right side, very rear. It happensat around 3000 rpm's only & goes away shortly after. Sounds like some thin metal vibrating....It ALMOST resembles a scaled down version of a ricer's exhaust.... It's definately metal to metal contact. I will check it out tonight or tomorrow on jackstands....

Ron
Ron, your problem and mine are exact. Please let me know if you find it and I will do the same. Around 3000 rpm I can hear it in the rear on the passenger side. Its like a tinging sound and I cant figure it out Ron. Try this on your vette and see if it works too. When it starts lightly hold your foot on the brake while maintaining 3000 rpms and see if it stops. Mine does. So it tells me it may be the calipers tinging or something. Than when I release the brake it keeps doing it around 3000 rpm. Thanks Shane
Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

I'll just wait for Ron to find a fix and do mine.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I took my Z in yesterday for this problem. They weren't able to figure out what I was talking about, so I went up there and took the service manager for a ride to show him the problem. He heard the whine and agreed that something was wrong. He said it sounded like a bad bearing in the torque tube. They are going to start working on it on Monday. I'll post more when they hopefully fully diagnose the problem and fix it.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey jay
I'll just wait for Ron to find a fix and do mine.
Guess you have a lot of time on your hands Jay!

Ron
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, my problem turned out to be something wrong/loose in the passenger side muffler. Got a new muffler now, and the noise is gone. Glad it wasn't something in the transmission or torque tube.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have a 2008 Z with 15k miles and it is doing this now. Noticed it last night. A high freq vibration at the same RPM in the first three gears. Just something else the dealership won't find, but it won't stop them from getting my car nasty as hell and fingerprinted up.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My 09Z does the same thing. Starts only after warm up at around 25-2700 rpms. Seems to be coming from passenger side seat area. Car sat on lot for over a year. Dealership checked it out and found nothing. Sure wish someone would find the fix!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 08 Z does this. Any other info on it?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ttt
Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having the same issue with my '09 Z06, I think. Strange vibration between 2K-3K RPMS. I took it into a dealership and they said it had to do with the muffler hangers. They switched the springs (swapped left-for-right and right-for-left) and the problem went away for a little while, but now it's back...

The tech said there's nothing wrong with the tranny, which was good news...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually had my car at teh dealership on Friday to fix this issue, I thought I was the only one. They said the spring was letting the muffler hit somethign when it was warm. They put in a new spring and said the same thing happened. He said they put some kind of heat shielding or sometihg where it was hitting, and to let them know if it wasnt fixed. Well it turns out that it is a little better but still not fixes so ti will go back when I have time. Already left him a VM that is was still a problem. But sounds liek the springs are too long.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Hey Morris - mine does this too and if you hadn't resurrected this thread I would have never even known others had the problem. I know that with my car the mufflers do hit the Pfadt sway bars so I put a little bit of heat tape on them to see if that helps.

I'm with the theory that it's the flaps in the muffler rattling and the car didn't do this when new. If I can find a deal on the ZR1 or 2011 Z06 mufflers I'll put those in and see if it's still there.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what this sound is. Had it in my old set. It is the baffle inside the can coming loose. I have a set in the garage now ... you can drop it out in the lawn and hear the clatter inside the can.

Bad news ..... i have it coming back in one of my new cans.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone experienced a vibration resonating sound from exhaust?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
I know exactly what this sound is. Had it in my old set. It is the baffle inside the can coming loose. I have a set in the garage now ... you can drop it out in the lawn and hear the clatter inside the can.

Bad news ..... i have it coming back in one of my new cans.
Not sure if it is the same thing, it only happens when the car is warm and only around 2800 rpm. Also the heat tape they used did help some, so if it was internal to teh muffler I think the symptoms would be3 different.

There my in fact be different issues for differnet people
Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I know that noise. Had it betweeh 2,500 and 3,200 rpm. Sounded like it was coming from the muffler/subframe area. Mine was like a "whoosh" noise. I'm convinced it was coming from a muffler(s).

Took it to the dealer as it's under warranty and of course, dealer said they couldn't find it and nothing they could do.... Had it back to them twice. I told them it was coming from a muffler and they said "prove it". Oh how I detest those people.

I proceeded to cut into the mufflers to do muffler mod. I had been planning to do this for some time. While in there I reinforced the baffles by welding in place with a solid bead along their length. These baffles are only spot welded in place. I believe the noise is a resonance from the baffles oscillating.

Welded the cans back together and reinstalled.

Noise gone.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Z.06 (10-25-2023)
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Exhaust Rattle on Z06

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06
Lately I have noticed if I run the car hard a couple times and get everything warmed up I hear an annoying vibration and almost like resonating sound coming from the back at low speed take offs and certain rpms. It definately has something to do with expansion. Once the exhaust/ mufflers get hot and expand some something is either hitting or resonating between two metals. I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers, 3 x 3 catted x pipe and stock mufflers modded. Sounds to me like its in the far rear. Im gonna jack it up over the next couple days and check out what I see under there and see if there are any signs of rubbing. But when i originally installed it I double triple checked everything to make sure there where no issues. My gut is telling me it has to do with one of two things. Either the clamp on the midpipe that I turned to the side to keep it high before tightening is hitting the side of the tunnel or its something inside the mufflers.
My car is a 2008 model. When the exhaust was stock, no rattle ever. After the muffler mod - I do have a rattle, and it is annoying. I am driving the car more now to try to localize the conditions that produce the rattle. The enginer definitely has to be hot and the rattle occurs when the engine RPM is slightly above idle. The muffler butterfly plates are closed. I have not been able to get a sustained rattle at a certain RPM yet.

I need to get the conditions where it occurs down pat, so I can reproduce it at the shop that modded my mufflers. The owner says if I can demonstrate it to him, he will fix it, and I believe him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone experienced a vibration resonating sound from exhaust?