Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2006 Z06 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM
yellow jacket 162
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Z06 problems

I'm looking for a used C6 Zo6. Does anyone no of any problems with the first year 2006 Zo6? Should I be concerned?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Love my 06 -Z06

Only real problems I have had is the blown motor. If I had not hired the wrong shop it would not have gone away. I now have it in a good place.

don't be scared, its a great car. I will keep mine for years to come

Good luck
Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow jacket 162
I'm looking for a used C6 Zo6. Does anyone no of any problems with the first year 2006 Zo6? Should I be concerned?
yellow Jacket
I have a 2006 Z06 and it has 8600 miles. No problems to speak of. I dont abuse it and follow all the maint. procedures. The roof laminate came off and was fixed under warranty. Its the last one with "homelink" garage door opener and the hood light. It doesnt have wheel controls which annoys me a little. I took it on a long trip 2000 miles to Chicago round trip and it was exceptionally comfortable. I had some left front bushing noise and that was fixed under warranty also. I am very satisfied with the car and it is all that was advertized.

Clif
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned my 06 Z for alittle over 2 months & I love it!!! It is a keeper for me plus the buy in price is right for 06's. But like any car find out as much as possible about the particular cars your looking at! Don't be afraid of the 06's just do your homework
Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Madsen
Love my 06 -Z06

Only real problems I have had is the blown motor. If I had not hired the wrong shop it would not have gone away. I now have it in a good place.

don't be scared, its a great car. I will keep mine for years to come

Good luck
Sorry to hear about your motor. What happened?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

^^^ hehehe, not of much help there.

Only real problem is they are faster. Really. At least that's what some say.

Now the trying to help part... I got my '06 with 3k miles on the odo and the top recall done to it. I've put more than 2000 miles on it already, in a couple of months, hard driven, using it as a daily driver, just because I like it so much. Taking the long way home through the mountains at least once every day, several outings with a large group of high powered cars and kept up with them well. Some on hot high ambient temp days (mid 80-90 deg), some cool nights, practiced launches, high speed runs, burnouts, all the cool stuff right?

Car is perfect, zero rattles, zero sqweaks, just perfect.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roof delamination, Weak half shafts on early builds. (mine was a 12/05 build) and broke it on my first pass down the track but had some pretty bad wheel hop. Rear end TSB, thats it 9k on mine and love it more every day. Slightly lighter than other years and also I feel they are faster in general. But thats just my opinion. Many will debate it. You wont be disappointed its an INCREDIBLE super car.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I got mine about 1-1/2 years ago with 12,500 miles on it and it has 30,000 on it now. I've run at a number of HPDE's and it is awesome on the track - and I mean AWESOME!!!

Click for video of a couple laps on the Rolex course at Daytona

I'm no race car driver, and you can see the car gives fantastic performance, even with a rookie HPDE driver behind the wheel.

Fantastic car with no problems! I've been on long road trips and it's a very comfortable GT car on the highway.

Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Sorry to hear about your motor. What happened?
Had a cam and springs put in by a now closed shop. all we really know is a valve let go. there is highly possible (but not sure) the shop did not attach the valve clip properly. I am not a moter guy so I really don't know.

Charlie at RPM has it now. It will be far better than new...

If you are going to play you will sometimes have to pay more than you thought.

It was a sad day. (still is)
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Madsen
Had a cam and springs put in by a now closed shop. all we really know is a valve let go. there is highly possible (but not sure) the shop did not attach the valve clip properly. I am not a moter guy so I really don't know.

Charlie at RPM has it now. It will be far better than new...

If you are going to play you will sometimes have to pay more than you thought.

It was a sad day. (still is)
Hate to hear that, but at least you're getting it back on the road.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
LOSNSUX
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I got mine about 1-1/2 years ago with 12,500 miles on it and it has 30,000 on it now. I've run at a number of HPDE's and it is awesome on the track - and I mean AWESOME!!!

I'm no race car driver, and you can see the car gives fantastic performance, even with a rookie HPDE driver behind the wheel.

Fantastic car with no problems! I've been on long road trips and it's a very comfortable GT car on the highway.

Bob
Watched your video. Very cool! How did 175 feel? In the '60's I had a '65 1/2 396 which I drag raced stock (12.2/119) but never got on a track with it. Got it up to 150 on the freeway late one night and it still had tons of pedal...but that was fast enough!

I've got an '08 Z06 which I've had for about a month after trading in my '06 C6. Amazing difference, but I really haven't put my foot in it yet.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LOSNSUX
Watched your video. Very cool! How did 175 feel? In the '60's I had a '65 1/2 396 which I drag raced stock (12.2/119) but never got on a track with it. Got it up to 150 on the freeway late one night and it still had tons of pedal...but that was fast enough!

I've got an '08 Z06 which I've had for about a month after trading in my '06 C6. Amazing difference, but I really haven't put my foot in it yet.
My Z06 is basically stock - just a Killer Bee intake and a tune, and DBA rotors and race pads and DOT 4 fluid.

The car is very solid, stable, and planted feeling at 175. I've read about guys that want to do all kinds of aero stuff to the car and suspension upgrades, but you can see what the car will do stock. I'm just a track day guy and not a racer trying to get every tenth of a second available out of the car - I think it goes fast enough for me to learn about tracking a car!

Of course the top speed is nice, but it corners great too!!!

My car is also a daily driver. What a fantastic car to be able to drive everyday, take on long road trips, and have it perform so fantastic on the track!!!

Bob
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

You should not be concerned. Early builds had half-shafts that some have managed to break on hard launches with wheel hop. Those shafts were upgraded by the end of the model run. Also check and see if the roof has been replaced under warranty. I suspect most have been done by now, but you should inquire on the one you're looking at. If it hasn't yet been done have the dealer agree to do it for no extra charge as part of the deal.

Other than, enjoy the great price you should be able to get on an 06 (and the fact you'll have the lightest, fastest Z06 made to date), and go enjoy the car.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

All years of the Z06 only have manual passenger seat adjustment for fore and aft travel. Neither side has the adjustable lumbar support and bolsters available on the high trim level C6 seats.

However, there have been a number of us that have put C6 seats in the C6 Z06 to get the full power and lumbar/bolster adjustment.

The 2006-2008 Z06 had a manual latch for hatch closing - you have to slam it, lean on it, or open a door to get the hatch to close. The 2009 model finally has the auto pull-down latch. Some of us have also retrofitted the car with the auto pull-down latch.

I've done the seat mod and the hatch latch mod on my 2006, so it's probably 15 pounds heavier than it originally was.

Bob
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
LOSNSUX
Racer

All years of the Z06 only have manual passenger seat adjustment for fore and aft travel. Neither side has the adjustable lumbar support and bolsters available on the high trim level C6 seats.

However, there have been a number of us that have put C6 seats in the C6 Z06 to get the full power and lumbar/bolster adjustment.

The 2006-2008 Z06 had a manual latch for hatch closing - you have to slam it, lean on it, or open a door to get the hatch to close. The 2009 model finally has the auto pull-down latch. Some of us have also retrofitted the car with the auto pull-down latch.

I've done the seat mod and the hatch latch mod on my 2006, so it's probably 15 pounds heavier than it originally was.

Bob

You raise two issues I have with the Z06. I loved my seats in the 2006 C6 with the lumbar adjustment and was really disappointed to find out it wasn't offered in the 2008 Z06. The hatch was the other disappointment.

What was involved in replacing the seat and hatch assist and how much did you end up spending?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Bob
Sorry if this is a dumb question but where, how is the camera mounted on that car. Great vid btw.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LOSNSUX
You raise two issues I have with the Z06. I loved my seats in the 2006 C6 with the lumbar adjustment and was really disappointed to find out it wasn't offered in the 2008 Z06. The hatch was the other disappointment.

What was involved in replacing the seat and hatch assist and how much did you end up spending?
Here's a link to a forum thread on the seats:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...for-a-z06.html

Forum member Ray Kawal was the front runner on doing this project, and his first post in that thread above has a link to his personal website, but here's a link:

http://www.kawal.net/power seats.htm

I got a pair of C6 seats for $1000 (I think that or $1100 is pretty normal). I sold the C6 seat skins for $350, the manual passenger seat tracks for $50 (and I could have sold them for more!), the driver's side power seat adjuster for $125 (guys like both of those for mounting race seats), and I still have the seat frames and cushions, as well as the side airbags that I expect I'll be able to sell some time in the future. So....you can recoup some of the expense of the seats. Or, you could put the C6 seat skins on the Z06 seats and probably sell them for almost what the C6 seats cost - C5 guys seem to want them.

Make sure you get the high level seats with airbags, heat, etc., and make sure they are out of a 2006 or newer. The 2005 does not have the passenger sensor for the airbag in the passenger seat bottom.

As far as the hatch latch, it cost me about $300. You should be able to find one off a C6 coupe with front end damage from one of the salvage outfits that advertises here on the forum. Here's a link to a thread where we chronicled the mod:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ear-hatch.html

You have to dig down through that thread to get to where I started talking about the parts and actual installation.

Any questions on either mod, give me a holler!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-16-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fixed link

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Z06 problems

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black_Mamba
Sorry if this is a dumb question but where, how is the camera mounted on that car. Great vid btw.
I started trying to video my track day sessions so I could analyze how I was doing so I could improve my track driving.

I have a little "bullet cam" or "lipstick cam" that I feed into my camcorder.

Last summer I had it installed in the upper right of the windshield:

I ran the wire from that bullet cam down to a cheapo Aiptek video camera in the glove box, and you can see that it worked quite well.

Here's a video of a couple laps around VIR during the NCM HPDE the first couple days of July last year:

http://vimeo.com/1280162

You can see in that video that you get a good view of the track, but I decided that I wanted to see my steering wheel inputs, so I moved the camera up to the trim piece under the halo:

The bullet cam in a little hard to see, but follow the wire up from the Traqmate Sensor Unit and the ChaseCam up to the where the bullet cam is mounted.

I got a ChaseCam video recorder last summer, and it's the unit to the right on the floor of the cargo area in the hatch.

I don't get as good of a view of the track with the bullet cam in that location, but I can see what I need to see about where I'm turning in and apexing, etc. I can also now see my steering inputs and gear shifting.

Most guys are able to mount their camera on their harness bar or part of their roll cage, but I don't have a harness bar or race seats, so I just mounted it by attaching it to the overhead trim piece.

Bob
Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
mddpm
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Default z06

My 2006 Z06 after a number of HPDE track days with 18000 miles on it began to shed metallic parts into the oil--this would not have been picked up unless I had put in a magnetized drain plug. These were ferrous, and fairly large. The GM rep said," it sounds and runs OK, live with it till something happens". I sold it shortly thereafter to a Chev dealer, and bought a C5 Z.mddpm
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

You have the roof issue that should have been done by now, if not it is a no charge fix by any Chevy dealer. The other wide spread issue is the rear end chatter. This is in most all years Z06s. The fix is to use a different fluid. I used a Ford friction modifier in mine and it worked better then the GM stuff. The early axle issues were mainly due to excessive wheel hop on hard launches. My '06 is a late build date and although I have had some issues... All was covered by warranty. I would not trade it for even a new one!!!!!
Just be sure to check what ever car you look at very carefully. Pull any and all records as well.
Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2006 Z06 problems