Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help me understand "gear rollover" noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help me understand "gear rollover" noise

What is gear rollover, and how does it make noise?

From what I understand - this is what we call "marbles in a can".
I've also read that gear rollover can be reproduced by droping the car in a high gear relative to engine speed. In the C6 it'd be something like 6th at 20mph Is that true?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why the heck would you ever want to run your car that way. 20 mph in 6th gear, equates to about 425 rpm, or far less than the engines factory unloaded idle speed. No technical explination is really needed here. It's called running the driveline way outside it's design perameters.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
What is gear rollover, and how does it make noise?

From what I understand - this is what we call "marbles in a can".
I've also read that gear rollover can be reproduced by droping the car in a high gear relative to engine speed. In the C6 it'd be something like 6th at 20mph Is that true?

Thanks!
Think of the drive shaft (between the clutch and the transmission) as a spring (which it is). If the engine is turning very low RPM, each cylinder firing is felt as a pulse that winds up the spring and makes the front face of the gears in the transmission to make contact. Then, before another cylinder fires, the spring unwinds and makes the back face of the gears come in contact. The noise comes from the clearance between the gears, which allows them to rattle as they contact the opposite face. You can hear this noise in an uninstalled transmission if you move the input shaft back and forth by hand.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U think u got marbles in a can? Put a cam in it and take a listen There are 6 gearsets in constant mesh in the tranny, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and the input/countershaft. There is backlash (play) in all these gears, and this is the noise u hear. Using dual-disc clutches and cams makes this much more noticable, but nothing is wrong. It's not hard to understand. And b4 u ask, the reason the clutch plays into it is because the dual-disc units do not have a sprung hub on both discs to dampen this action. Hope this helps!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Think of the drive shaft (between the clutch and the transmission) as a spring (which it is). If the engine is turning very low RPM, each cylinder firing is felt as a pulse that winds up the spring and makes the front face of the gears in the transmission to make contact. Then, before another cylinder fires, the spring unwinds and makes the back face of the gears come in contact. The noise comes from the clearance between the gears, which allows them to rattle as they contact the opposite face. You can hear this noise in an uninstalled transmission if you move the input shaft back and forth by hand.

Frank Gonzalez
Ahh! Yes, I know exactly what you mean. For some reason the "rollover" term kinda threw me off. I think a more accurate description would be "play induced gear vibration" or something like that.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
U think u got marbles in a can? Put a cam in it and take a listen There are 6 gearsets in constant mesh in the tranny, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and the input/countershaft. There is backlash (play) in all these gears, and this is the noise u hear. Using dual-disc clutches and cams makes this much more noticable, but nothing is wrong. It's not hard to understand. And b4 u ask, the reason the clutch plays into it is because the dual-disc units do not have a sprung hub on both discs to dampen this action. Hope this helps!
Haha, yes I was going to ask why its worse with DD clutches. Thanks bud!

Get notified of new replies

To Help me understand "gear rollover" noise

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help me understand "gear rollover" noise