Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Zmark06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,316 Likes on 765 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Doesn't seem right or fair but probably an example of what the future holds. They should have at least looked closer at your situation. Sorry for you trouble, but now your choices are wide open. Check out the Forum vender packages (there are several)and have fun shopping for your new power!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 AM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Not to hijack your thread - and I am sorry to hear about your troubles - I find myself wondering....If Gm declares and goes Ch11 - will that invalidate all of their warranties?

thoughts?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,316 Likes on 765 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I think that would be suicide for their brand but we can expect more scrutiny with claims.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

mods?
what makes u think oil starvation was the cause?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I think that would be suicide for their brand but we can expect more scrutiny with claims.
Chapter 11 does not invalidate warranties, but as BearZ06 suggests, we can look forward to much greater scrutiny for warranty claims.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sad they should cover it especially that you were honest and they PROMOTE performance driving days.. B****!
the video of my zo6 that came with the car thats all they showed in the video.
all this in regards to if its a STOCK car.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Z06LINK
Instructor

Doesn't GM give the guys who buy ZR1's a free driving school at Spring Mountain? If you missed a down shift it should be on you. Anything else and GM should step up.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06LINK
Doesn't GM give the guys who buy ZR1's a free driving school at Spring Mountain? If you missed a down shift it should be on you. Anything else and GM should step up.
right.. a computer scan will tell if it was user fault by overrev.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
MikeP
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your Z modded? If so what mods can be seen from just opening the hood? Sorry to hear od GM not stepping up to the plate and warranting your Z for which they advertised and sold as a performance street/track car. I would ahve to raise the BS flag on this one!

Mike P.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually, a Chapter 11 Debtor has the right to reject executory contracts and while I have not specifically researched warranties, a bankruptcy IMO clearly places warranty validity in jeopardy.

In other words if the big push to Chapter 11 is to be able to break union contracts, I see no reason GM could not also break warranty contracts.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks to hear man...
I agree with you though , DONT TELL GM ****!
Turn it back to stock and play the Dumb game ....
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
Actually, a Chapter 11 Debtor has the right to reject executory contracts and while I have not specifically researched warranties, a bankruptcy IMO clearly places warranty validity in jeopardy.

In other words if the big push to Chapter 11 is to be able to break union contracts, I see no reason GM could not also break warranty contracts.
If GM were to break all warranties, they would be commiting suicide. Their sales would go to 0. GM biggest customers are probably brand loyal repeat customers.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
If GM were to break all warranties, they would be commiting suicide. Their sales would go to 0. GM biggest customers are probably brand loyal repeat customers.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
right.. a computer scan will tell if it was user fault by overrev.
I'm pretty sure the GM computer does not store historical evidence, unless a check engine code was the result. That is why we have to use scanners on real-time to see issues, and use those scanners to log and record historical data.

Never tell a service manager you were on a track. "Racing" can also be defined as racing the vehicle. Doesn't mean it has to be organized or timed, that verbage is only on insurance related stuff, not warranty.

If you are on a track, common sense tells us you were "racing".
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Geez, I'm sorry to hear.

Red Cell.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That really sucks. Sorry to hear this. Well, now get the car to Kateck and get a bullet proof engine and never look back. Just about what I'd do I guess.
Good luck going forward.

Get notified of new replies

To C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM

Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Never tell a service manager you were on a track. "Racing" can also be defined as racing the vehicle. Doesn't mean it has to be organized or timed, that verbage is only on insurance related stuff, not warranty.
Ah, now I understand - "racing" means "racing." That certainly clarifies matters - or does it? Can you be racing by yourself? On a track - how about on a freeway five miles over the speed limit? Circular definitions aren't really helpful.

The first online dictionary I looked at defines racing as "a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing." Other online dictionaries had roughly the same definitions. A typical HPDE event is not a contest - there are no winners, prizes, etc.

Now, let me be absolutely clear - there is no doubt that GM has entered into a fairly new corporate policy of initially denying any warranty claim for a blown engine on a Z06 if they can find any reason, bogus or otherwise. Z06 engines do have a propensity to blow, whether on the top end from a broken valve spring or on the bottom end from an oiling failure, without regard to modifications or necessarily driving style. As a result, powertrain mods and HDPE events can have added risk. Personally, I think the HDPE case is winnable by an owner, but there is a high aggravation factor and a car out of service for a long time. If you want to do serious tracking, I continue to suggest going with a C5 with a cage.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Crush
Racer

That truly sucks that you get screwed for being Honest!!!! They are just asking to be lied too, IMO. Today's society in general welcomes dishonesty. I am a very very upfront and honest person, and with today's society it has been a challenge to maintain something I am very proud of!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges

That would require approval of a bankruptcy judge to void any contractual agreement. A company in Chapter 11 cannot void a contract unilaterally and must demonstrate that voiding a contract is necessary to the survival of the company.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM