Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Upping the game

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SteckDW
While the heads are pretty impressive stock... it's worth the money to have the exhaust side hogged out. Richard at www.proheads.com has an awesome deal on doing this. I didn't have my heads milled at all (just a clean up pass), but did have Richard go ahead and CNC the exhaust side. I haven't noticed much below 4000rpm, but I can kind of feel it from 4000 to 5000. Above 5000... it's ridiculous. Granted, this is with a QM600, but still. A lot of companies push porting both intake and exhaust, but really... all you need is the exhaust side to grab a sizable power gain. With a big cam, exhaust side porting can net 50rwhp. It's a good option for people not willing to bump compression (like me).
Richard at pro heads is a GREAT guy, but my engine builder flowed my WCCH LS7 heads ( milled 30 thou) and they didn't flow much more than stock ( they don't touch the exhaust at all). Same engine builder has the Lingenfelter heads on his 07 C6Zand they scream!

He has the texas speed LS7 heads on his 416 L92 motor in his 40 ford coupe and runs 9.9X with 1.36 60' here at elevation ( Bandimier).

I'm running 454 cubes so the heads are the limiting factor now. I'll be going with the "hand finished" 405/280+ LPE heads/springs/cam package this spring.

BTW, I'm at "about" 12:1 C/R right now, run 91 here in denver area and we get NO knock!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM
bandit0220
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool to hear got to love elevation for some things hahaha even if it still limits the power. Tell me more on these LPE heads sound like some mean heads!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/c6ls7zo6cyl-01.html

I used to think .650 lift cams were CRAZY..but my car idles smooth as silk after Rod tuned it with Hp tuners. LPE specs some large cams for these heads requiring some stout springs ( available from LPE) but just look at that GT21 cam at .700+ lift.

I've driven NitrousJunkies car with these heads and cam and after A LOT of tuning he has the tune figured out and it drives just fine. For those who have said there are no gains in porting LS7 heads..just look at these flow #'s..they are even higher with the extra $225 "hand finishing" option.

I will be feeding the extra cubes with thee babies this spring., should get me close to 600Rwhp with great street maners...not that an extra 30 hp is going to make a difference but I tossed the warranty at 6 miles on the odometer,....so why not???
Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Richard at pro heads is a GREAT guy, but my engine builder flowed my WCCH LS7 heads ( milled 30 thou) and they didn't flow much more than stock ( they don't touch the exhaust at all). Same engine builder has the Lingenfelter heads on his 07 C6Zand they scream!

He has the texas speed LS7 heads on his 416 L92 motor in his 40 ford coupe and runs 9.9X with 1.36 60' here at elevation ( Bandimier).

I'm running 454 cubes so the heads are the limiting factor now. I'll be going with the "hand finished" 405/280+ LPE heads/springs/cam package this spring.

BTW, I'm at "about" 12:1 C/R right now, run 91 here in denver area and we get NO knock!
I find it odd that you'd mention the exhaust isn't touched at all, because that's the only side that Richard ports. Hogging out the intake side doesn't net any performance improvement considering the intake manifold chokes the crap out of the heads anyway, even if the manifold is ported out. It's kind of hard to see, but material was notably removed from the exhaust ports. It's pretty obvious why they wouldn't flow more than stock on the intake side, but I can assure you that the exhaust side of my heads was ported out. Otherwise, I don't know where the extra 50rwhp came from.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit0220
um not to be second guessing you or TSP for that fact but I had mine milled down too 64ccs and that brings me to a CR of 12.3 after looking at how much your heads are milled you are definitely smaller than mine. How do I know this???? The little pad right above the sparkplug threads is where they take the measurement off of and yours is a bit lower than mine just an FYI, might want to have them CCed to see what they are for sure. Just trying to look out for ya and it would explain why you had to dial the timing back, especially being 6000 ft above sea level you should be able to run more timing. Im on 91 octane as well here in Utah we are at 5000 ft above sea level and can take mine too 28 easily with no knock but it seems to like 27.
Well, they're on now, so I'm not pulling them to check. I'd be interested to see pics of yours to compare. Are you running the same cam?

BTW: We did check PTV and still have 20 thousands clearance, so I'm OK there.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Its been a long week alreayd an its only tuesday???

I meant to say the intake wasn't touched. I ran the stock Ti intake valves and upgraded to solid stainless exhaust valves and then had them both DLC coated.

Back when Richard did my heads, they were the ONLY proven head porter that I could find, but times have changed and nearly 12 montsh later we all have more options. Best way to gurantee #'s is have them flowed prior to install. I plan to do just that on these an dthe new heads ..assuming I don't use them as porting cores.

In regards to stock intakes. Charlie at RPM squeezed another flow bench verified 23 cfm out of each runner w/o the heat sink of a sheet metal intake.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Well for half the cost, my heads are supporting the same power numbers as other companies.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
bandit0220
Racer

I have a RPM intake on my car and it did make a noticable difference. As to the heads lets think this in a real world type scenerio shall we. The stock head I verifed too 371 cfm at 650 lift since I have just around that on my cam and a little less on the exhaust no need to worry about more flow at higher lift as I dont plan on going to a higher lift. At 371 cfm at 650 lift this head should be able to support roughly 764.2 flywheel horsepower. So why would upping that help that much???? Now I do see the exhaust side showing some nice gains but with that also comes a cam change to take advantage of the higher flow. If you are already running a cam that crutches the exhaust side by a good amount your already helping the lower flowing exhaust. I have 257 dur on the exhaust side where I only have 243 on the intake side. This is why I am doing this the way i am do I need ported heads who knows. Will it help, maybe, maybe not but I acually KNOW compression will help. As long as its not excessive and the compression is usable,it will always add power, add response, and add to the thermal efficency of the engine. SteckDW I am not saying ur wrong but 50rwhp from hogging out the exhaust without a cam to take advantage of it sounds rather HIGH. But what were the heads milled too if any could you find out??? Just some insight on why I am wondering if alot of gains are from milling and not porting. Not to say that porting does not net a gain but for me I want to see what the gain is for each, guess I just like to do my own R&D.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

There's been a host of other QM600 cars that picked up a TON of power from simply porting the heads... I don't know why you're in disbelief. That cam wants a high flowing head, no question. I'm definitely not saying 50whp on a stock cam. Richard only did clean up passes on my heads. Exactly how much material was removed, I don't know, but I know it wasn't more than a few thousandths. Here's a picture of the mating surface to give you an idea of what the combustion chamber looks like.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

There's been a host of other QM600 cars that picked up a TON of power from simply porting the heads... I don't know why you're in disbelief. That cam wants a high flowing head, no question. I'm definitely not saying 50whp on a stock cam. Richard only did clean up passes on my heads. Exactly how much material was removed, I don't know, but I know it wasn't more than a few thousandths. Here's a picture of the mating surface to give you an idea of what the combustion chamber looks like.

If you look at the chambers on the opposite side from the spark plug you'll see that it isn't round anymore, all the "quench" area is gone, and the chambers are like mine, heart shaped. (Compare to the pic of my stock head). I don't know how much you have to mill to lose that much chamber, but mine "appear" to be milled about 30 thousands.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Vette Doctors are doing some very exciting things with their ported heads/cam package, right DOMSCOM????????
Old 12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

i think i am going under the knife soon
can't wait for the sick stick and the new heads
Old 12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
bandit0220
Racer

looks like a bit more than a couple thousand but could just be from the angle. An I didnt say I am in disbelief at all I said I want to see for my self what compression does for the engine and then porting on top of that if Im still unsatisfied. An trust me while the QM600 is a pretty healthy cam and I know cause I have one the cam Im runing now destroys it in every part of the rev range, even though the numbers are similar its all in the lobe sep and the timing events.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Otherwise, I don't know where the extra 50rwhp came from.
Well for half the cost, my heads are supporting the same power numbers as other companies.
Do you have any dyno sheets or track results that actually back up these types of claims which you are constantly making, or are you just guessing how much power your car has?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
bandit0220
Racer

cause 50rwhp from just porting the heads would be the largest gains anyone has seen yet
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

I don't have anything scanned from after the heads. Apparently my scanner isn't compatible with Vista x64.

I'm still on stock pushrods, and it's not floating valves. My heads didn't have a perfectly rounded combustion chamber to begin with when they were pulled, and if you look, you can see that mine have way more material left. The intake side of the combustion chamber always has that heart shape.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jorday
Do you have any dyno sheets or track results that actually back up these types of claims which you are constantly making, or are you just guessing how much power your car has?
Mine dyno'd 444 stock, 493 with all bolt ons, 543 with bolt ons and cam, and after Christmas I'll dyno with the heads added. All numbers SAE, same dyno. Truthfully, I'm looking for 30 to 35 additional rwhp. Anything past that will be gravy.

Get notified of new replies

To Upping the game

Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
bandit0220
Racer

Well I gained 28 rwhp and 24 rwtq from the raise in compression alone it was a gain throughout the entire rev range with majority being from 4200 too 7100 rpms WOOOHOOOO I am not disappointed at all!!!! I dont know what my corrected numbers are I am at 4500 ft above sea level and did 548 uncorrected
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
If you look at the chambers on the opposite side from the spark plug you'll see that it isn't round anymore, all the "quench" area is gone, and the chambers are like mine, heart shaped. (Compare to the pic of my stock head). I don't know how much you have to mill to lose that much chamber, but mine "appear" to be milled about 30 thousands.

Porting the heads on these cars is a nice touch final touch to your cammed package.

In my opinion, porting these LS7 heads w/o doing some milling is a waste of time and money.

We have seen little HP gains from cleaning the heads, but once the milling and better porting enters the mix, greater power was recognized. On the average, we see around 35rwhp gains, although I’ve seen higher with higher comp ratios (between 11.8 and 12.2). Tuning plays a big role and believe me, close to sea levels, you can have as much as 12.0 comp ratio and drive on 93 oct with no issues whatsoever.

Here is a tad bit of info…this may not be new news to many of you: a nice port job with at least .040 thousands milling, 0.040 thousands thick Cometics gaskets with the correct pushrods length with tuning is a good start for tire shredding power. Of course, adding the QM600 cam simply adds the icing on the cake. Oh yeah, in some vehicles, switching to a cooler plugs such as the NGK BPE7S F allows you run more timing if necessary and it also minimizes the chances for detonation. I’ve seen as much as 5rwhp gains from these plugs and not knock after repeated back to back runs on the dyno and romping on the streets.

Thanks,
Carlos

PS, who wants one of my old set of ported LS7 heads? Includes pushrods…these heads have 500 miles on them; I cleaned them up and they look as good as new. I also changed the spring assembly just for because the heads sat there for ever…they are also milled 0.40 thousands. All you need is gaskets and bolts and that’s it! $2,850 and yours…no exchange, this is an outright price and remember, one piece chromoly pushrods alone are $200 plus.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, hog out the exhaust to get the int/exh balanced better. But if u start foolin' around w/ the intake too much, there will be port flow velocity debit on the bottom end. At some point, it makes no sense to increase intake port flow at the cost of velocity when the intake manifold is marginal at best when fully ported.

But, the exhaust on the stock LS7 head sucks compared to intake flow, get it to 75+% of intake flow and u got somthing....and ohh, u won't need all that exhaust duration and overlap

Quick Reply: [Z06] Upping the game