Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I came sooooo close to the 10's VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:37 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I came sooooo close to the 10's VIDEO

I attended another rental day at MIR Wednesday December 3rd. CF member Siffert(Gary) got in touch with me about a week earlier and asked if I was interested in going. He made the trek from Ohio 6 hours away hoping to take advantage of the good Maryland air and Traction. There was 7 or 8 of us there which made for another great day. On my 3rd pass of the day I ran my personal best to date. 11.027@125.66. When I took off I looked up at the board and saw that I cut a 1.74 60ft and thought I had a real chance to hit the 10's. So damn close but no cigar. If it weren't for the slight headwind we had the majority of the day I think it would have been there but I ain't complaining, there's always next year. I'm quite happy with the results. Here's the video (Its high resolution):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdW9EgHjDpA

For those that were there. I'll get your videos up ASAP. My computer at home is all messed up. This video took over 2 hours for me to upload so it might be a few days.

Last edited by walterm32; 12-06-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

i give ya a 10 anyway...very good run
Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walterm32
I attended another rental day at MIR Wednesday December 3rd. CF member Siffert(Gary) got in touch with me about a week earlier and asked if I was interested in going. He made the trek from Ohio 6 hours away hoping to take advantage of the good Maryland air and Traction. There was 7 or 8 of us there which made for another great day. On my 3rd pass of the day I ran my personal best to date. 11.027@125.66. When I took off I looked up at the board and saw that I cut a 1.74 60ft and thought I had a real chance to hit the 10's. So damn close but no cigar. If it weren't for the slight headwind we had the majority of the day I think it would have been there but I ain't complaining, there's always next year. I'm quite happy with the results. Here's the video (Its high resolution):

For those that were there. I'll get your videos up ASAP. My computer at home is all messed up. This video took over 2 hours for me to upload so it might be a few days.
Wow Mike - That is just awesome. Running 11.02 on the stock EMT's with just an exhaust is incredible.

The launch sounds terrific and your shifts and shift points sound even better than on any of your other videos.

You've improved tremendously from where you were earlier in the year and now have the results to show you are one of the best drivers out there. You should be very proud of your accomplishment and know it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Your hard work has paid off big time. Congrats on putting it all together.

Was great meeting you and working with you in 2008 and looking forward to getting together in 2009.

Last edited by dgdoc; 12-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Wow Mike - That is just awesome. Running 11.02 on the stock EMT's with just an exhaust is incredible.

The launch sounds terrific and your shifts and shift points sound even better than on any of your other videos.

You've improved tremendously from where you were earlier in the year and now have the results to show you are one of the best drivers out there. You should be very proud of your accomplishment and know it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Your hard work has paid off big time. Congrats on putting it all together.

Was great meeting you and working with you in 2008 and looking forward to getting together in 2009.
Thanks Phil, I appreciate the compliments. It was great to meet you and the others this year. I had tons of fun this year racing and can't wait for the winter to be over. (Its too damn cold outside). It's a shame you didn't get to see what you could do in the prime weather with a proper working clutch. Go skins!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by patton
i give ya a 10 anyway...very good run
Thanks Patton. I appreciate the .03 pad but I wish the slip said it.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

WOW

Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
walterm32
Drifting

I'm downloading some of the other videos fromthe day now and will post them up when they're done.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Nice run! You ought to invite some of your local corvette brothers the next time you do a rental. Watching you drive makes me think I need some practice if I want to keep my skills anywhere close to yours, after watching that pass I don't think they currently are!

Last edited by jamie furman; 12-06-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, that is incredible. 11.02 with nothing but a catback exhaust.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Nice run! You ought to invite some of your local corvette brothers the next time you do a rental. Watching you drive makes me think I need some practice if I want to keep my skills anywhere close to yours, after watching that pass I don't think they currently are!
Wow. Thanks Jamie. I don't know if i'd go that far but I can hold my own nowdays. I was brought along by a couple people who know what they're doing so that has helped. Unfortunately not every pass looks like that. I'm getting pretty consistent at pulling low to mid 1.8 60 ft times but the 1.7's have been for the most part elusive to me and as you know that's where its at. I'm just glad I got that pass and a 11.11 with a 1.80 so I could see and hear exactly what I did.
The next rental I know about I'll let you know.

Last edited by walterm32; 12-06-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Thanks man.I was satisfied to say the least. If I can use somebodys scanner I'll get my slip up. I had hopes to be top 10 on the list after seeing it was possible the last couple of months and just snuck in there.
How about a boltons w/ stock tires section.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

[Quote] Wow, that is incredible. 11.02 with nothing but a catback exhaust.

Walter as good as your driving that car, I would put the stock exhausts back on that car and go for the top of the stock list! Those exhaust might make more noise but the car might run just as good if not better 1/4 mile times with the factory exhuasts. I have seen that be the case in some of my other cars.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
walterm32
Drifting

[QUOTE=jamie furman;1568105307]

Walter as good as your driving that car, I would put the stock exhausts back on that car and go for the top of the stock list! Those exhaust might make more noise but the car might run just as good if not better 1/4 mile times with the factory exhuasts. I have seen that be the case in some of my other cars.
I am going to put the stock exhaust back on before next fall. Top 3 would be just fine. That 10 sec barrier seems to be a tough one to get.You have to be on your game on the right day. You were. I'd like to be.
When I changed to the Corsas I noticed the pipe is 3" all the way into the mufflers. On the stock mufflers the pipe steps down to 2.5" just before it goes into the mufflers. What effect it has?? Probably not much either way.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to put the stock exhaust back on before next fall. Top 3 would be just fine. That 10 sec barrier seems to be a tough one to get.You have to be on your game on the right day. You were. I'd like to be.
When I changed to the Corsas I noticed the pipe is 3" all the way into the mufflers. On the stock mufflers the pipe steps down to 2.5" just before it goes into the mufflers. What effect it has?? Probably not much either way.
Mike - Was thinking you might want to dyno your car before you change your exhaust. If you take your car to Tony's Corvette, you can compare to the dyno I had done there with my car and see if you have any performance benefit from the Corsa exhaust and 3" pipes. Then at least you'd have a baseline to know where you are currently and make your decision based on this.

Be glad to re-dyno my car at the same time if you decide to do this.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Mike - Was thinking you might want to dyno your car before you change your exhaust. If you take your car to Tony's Corvette, you can compare to the dyno I had done there with my car and see if you have any performance benefit from the Corsa exhaust and 3" pipes. Then at least you'd have a baseline to know where you are currently and make your decision based on this.

Be glad to re-dyno my car at the same time if you decide to do this.
I'd be interested to see if the graphs are any different but I think 08's make more power so there is no comparison. its a controlled enviroment there isn't it. If so there would be no need to re dyno yours. If I get a few bucks extra I will before I switch them out and we'll see. My guess is no more than a 3 or 4 HP or TQ gain anywhere throughout the curve if anything at all. Who knows mabey Corsas add 50 HP and that's why I ran an 11.02.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd be interested to see if the graphs are any different but I think 08's make more power so there is no comparison. its a controlled enviroment there isn't it. If so there would be no need to re dyno yours. If I get a few bucks extra I will before I switch them out and we'll see. My guess is no more than a 3 or 4 HP or TQ gain anywhere throughout the curve if anything at all. Who knows mabey Corsas add 50 HP and that's why I ran an 11.02.
OK - Cool. Would be interesting.

They have a SuperFlow Dyno and really nice setup - very accurate and repeatable under a variety of conditions. It's our cars that aren't quite so consistent. Just like at the track, you've got to keep the IAT temps and Coolant temps down or you wont see the max your car is capable of.

Also keep in mind there is no dyno in the world that can adjust for the differences the LS7 PCM makes to the tune under various conditions.

Get notified of new replies

To I came sooooo close to the 10's VIDEO

Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 AM
walterm32
Drifting

I know trap speed is a good indication of the power your putting out and 07zee06 had a slightly higher trap speed than I did but he had more wheelspin from his tires being more worn so who knows if that means anything.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

I for one know better than that, but I am sure a lot of people on the board probably do believe just that and thats the exact reason I have never modded my car, because for a tenth or 2 MAYBE I would rather just try to drive that out of it. I for one don't believe in mods unless you start doing heads, headers, cam etc, and then I think you will see a measureable difference, the other stuff like air bridge, exhaust, tune, I think thats too much of a crap shoot and may even make your car slow down. After watching your passes lately, I was serious when I said I need practice, so thats why I believe you can just drive that extra tenth out of the car the exhausts give you. I believe you will run the same if not better ets and thats why I suggested you put the stock exhausts back on, you can always go back to the corsa's if they don't work and you might sit on the top of the fast list if they do!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

I know trap speed is a good indication of the power your putting out and 07zee06 had a slightly higher trap speed than I did but he had more wheelspin from his tires being more worn so who knows if that means anything.
IMO thats exactly why he trapped higher, because when your tires are hazing just a little bit and then start to hook the car has more momentum when they bite and that results in higher trap speeds, exactly what you saw in some of those videos posted of my car running a couple of weeks ago. They were the best mph's I had ever run as the tires were hazing the first 150', but the ets weren't there because my 60' was 1 to 2 tenths off my best. Dr Ron is the 60' King but his mph is always one of the slower ones on the top of the fast list. His 60' is the best, but I bet if there was a 200' mph marker his mph wouldn't be as fast as similar cars with slower 60' times.

Last edited by jamie furman; 12-07-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] I came sooooo close to the 10's VIDEO