Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] General Exclaim UHP Tires in Stock OEM C6Z sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. I finally got to try these out.

Short version:
Excellent STREET tire! Quiet, soft ride, enough grip.

Long version:

What do you do when it's 2am, your bored and it's 36 degrees out? Sleep?
Hell no! Try out those cheap Czechoslovakian tires on your Z06 of course!

These things are MUCH QUIETER that the stock runflats. Did anyone realize these cars come with a radio...

They have a MUCH softer, compliant ride. Too soft at 32psi; the handling was sloppy and a little unpredictable starting around .8G on on-ramps. Upping the pressure to 38 psi made a huge difference. 1G was a lot more comfortable and the ride was still soft. You could consider these a poor man's street-tuned coil over substitute...

The alignment on my car is -1.2 camber all around. There is quite a bit more yaw 'slop' at turn in with these tires than with the GY runflats. But, there is little under steer. If anything, I think the turn in is better at street speeds. In fact, when at 32psi, it feels like the car wants to over steer. 38 psi was more even(they're rated to 51 psi ). They give up grip very gradually with a satisfying and progressive low squeal.

I couldn't resist a few spirited street launches and here they proved to be vastly superior to the GYs. They handled a 3500 rpm launch at 36 degrees reasonable well laying down 20ft of tread with no hint of spinning out of control. I have a 2006 with original shocks and there was NO WHEEL HOP. They also have a much more satisfying 'peal-out' sound. A strong shift to second will break them loose almost as much as the launch; but, it's WAY better than the stockers. Very predictable and controllable. The GYs just don't perform well cold at all and quietly spin as if on ice under that type of launch.

Somebody, not me, should shave these down, lower to 25psi and try them out in the 1/4.

I'm very happy with these so far. My main reason for trying these was to save money for some PS Cups for my next HPDE. I am very pleasantly surprised with the performance.

The only real draw back is that they are not run flats. But, considering the $800 savings, I think I can afford some fix-a-flat and a new TPMS sensor if I have to. I already carry a portable compressor anyway.

I'll update here with a wet skid pad report as soon as it rains.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 AM
ole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
I run 'em....very quiet and good grip dry and wet.
Yes I love them in the rain Too . And when you put the power down . Thy hold great
Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

Thanks for the write up. Impressive tire, especially for the price. They also clearly state that this is a summer tire and not to drive in near freezing temperatures, but it sounds like they still held up nicely.

Can you please post some pictures of them mounted on a Z06? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weight???

How much do they ACTUALLY weigh? Can someone throw them on a bathroom scale and tell us?

The four pound weight savings on the front isn't unreasonable but I find it hard to believe they could make the rear tire that large and have it weigh only one pound more than the front never mind that makes it TEN pounds lighter than the GY.

Also, per the specs listed they say revs per mile on the rear is only 702, if this is true it must be significantly taller than the stock GY which revs at 783 per mile. The front revs per mile specs are pretty comparable at 821 vs 816 for the GY.

My experience with inexpensive tires is that initially they're great but within a year or so they'll start to do funny things like create vibrations which make interior panels buzz at certain speeds. Unfortunately I've found that when it comes to tires it seems as though you get what you pay for.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
klasik-69
Racer

The General's website mentions a new silica rubber compound. Silica is basically sand, so I would guess that gives it the better and longer wear. But as some have chimed in, longer wear means less grip. I would think most Z06 owners push their cars at regular intervals.......some on the street, some on the track. This tire would be good for the wife's car, but they're not runflats so that would also be a problem as most wives seem to drive thru corners and pick up nails, screws and other debris on the right hand side tires. Mine came back with a pair of scissors stuck in the side wall, then told me the car was making a "funny noise".

How many out there use their Z's for drifting ? Here's your tire !
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by linutux
OK. I finally got to try these out.

Short version:
Excellent STREET tire! Quiet, soft ride, enough grip.

Long version:

What do you do when it's 2am, your bored and it's 36 degrees out? Sleep?
Hell no! Try out those cheap Czechoslovakian tires on your Z06 of course!

These things are MUCH QUIETER that the stock runflats. Did anyone realize these cars come with a radio...

They have a MUCH softer, compliant ride. Too soft at 32psi; the handling was sloppy and a little unpredictable starting around .8G on on-ramps. Upping the pressure to 38 psi made a huge difference. 1G was a lot more comfortable and the ride was still soft. You could consider these a poor man's street-tuned coil over substitute...

The alignment on my car is -1.2 camber all around. There is quite a bit more yaw 'slop' at turn in with these tires than with the GY runflats. But, there is little under steer. If anything, I think the turn in is better at street speeds. In fact, when at 32psi, it feels like the car wants to over steer. 38 psi was more even(they're rated to 51 psi ). They give up grip very gradually with a satisfying and progressive low squeal.

I couldn't resist a few spirited street launches and here they proved to be vastly superior to the GYs. They handled a 3500 rpm launch at 36 degrees reasonable well laying down 20ft of tread with no hint of spinning out of control. I have a 2006 with original shocks and there was NO WHEEL HOP. They also have a much more satisfying 'peal-out' sound. A strong shift to second will break them loose almost as much as the launch; but, it's WAY better than the stockers. Very predictable and controllable. The GYs just don't perform well cold at all and quietly spin as if on ice under that type of launch.

Somebody, not me, should shave these down, lower to 25psi and try them out in the 1/4.

I'm very happy with these so far. My main reason for trying these was to save money for some PS Cups for my next HPDE. I am very pleasantly surprised with the performance.

The only real draw back is that they are not run flats. But, considering the $800 savings, I think I can afford some fix-a-flat and a new TPMS sensor if I have to. I already carry a portable compressor anyway.

I'll update here with a wet skid pad report as soon as it rains.

Freaking excellent write up Linutux! I'll have more to say when I get some seat time.

Got'em mounted and I'm tracking these things in two weeks.
Some pics.

The rears appear to be putting down about 1/2" less rubber.

Bone
Attached Images       

Last edited by Bone Daddy; 01-11-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Really interested to hear track performance
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Can you currently get these from Tire Rack??
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM
MyBeaches
Pro

Great pics, thanks!

One thing is for sure, they look 10000x better than the goodyears mounted.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 AM
linutux
Pro

Originally Posted by El Puto
Can you currently get these from Tire Rack??
As of now, yes:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....(Y)&minLoad=LL
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
ole
Racer

They handled a 3500 rpm launch at 36 degrees reasonable well laying down 20ft of tread with no hint of spinning out of control. Yes and the V Tread help keep it from going side ways
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
apowell
1st Gear

I want to get these tires for my c6 z06, are they worth it? do they stick? how do they work? please advise if its worth spending my money
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Drew the tires ride great (quiet and smooth) and grip very well.

My only issue with them is their appearance. The rears are some 1inch narrower. They might be 325 at the bulge but not at the ground.

They would be perfect for a regular C6 10" rim. I might just make someone a good offer on them.

They did great on the TWS track with no under or over steer. That is a very fast road-course/speedway and it was a cold low 40 degree day. They did fine.

Hope this helps.
Bone
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
Drew the tires ride great (quiet and smooth) and grip very well.

My only issue with them is their appearance. The rears are some 1inch narrower. They might be 325 at the bulge but not at the ground.

They would be perfect for a regular C6 10" rim. I might just make someone a good offer on them.

They did great on the TWS track with no under or over steer. That is a very fast road-course/speedway and it was a cold low 40 degree day. They did fine.

Hope this helps.
Bone

any other track day experience with these tires ? Did you hit the max speed of 168?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
dperretti
Advanced

I just put a set on my 2008 Z. I only got 9,800 out of the Goodyears. The backs were past the wear indicators and the front had about 1/32 to go before they hit the wear indicator. I wanted to get away from runflats, my 2003 Z came stock without runflats, so I figures I will just call AAA if I get a flat.

What pressure is everyone running the Generals at? I started at 30 psi but have not had a chance to push them (recovering from back sugery).
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 174 Posts

The tires were talked about in this thread as well: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...reme-uhps.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] General Exclaim UHP Tires in Stock OEM C6Z sizes