Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 brakes on a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZR1 brakes on a Z06

Ok i know about all the talk [speculation] so far from everyone [guessing] this and that!!!

Lets say they bolt on and by this i mean the rotors and calipers.

The part number's for the spindle's are the same Quoted from Gene Cully so the calipers should bolt right on. Yes i know the actual system is differant, yes i know the wheels are differant,yes i know they cost more, they heat up differantly, cool down differantly, look differant ect ect.... the question i have is how does the actual system know the differance between our stock brakes and the ZR1 carbon ceramic . If in fact they will bolt on??

Please please Im not asking for spectulation, i already have plenty of that.

Last edited by lorenzo; 11-18-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenzo
the question i have is how does the actual system know the differance between our stock brakes and the ZR1 carbon ceramic . If in fact they will bolt on??
Assume the actual system will NOT know that you have bolted on the ZR1 system. It will send out its control signals (ABS, TC, AH etc.) as if you had the Z06 components, and the results may not be satisfactory since the ZR1 components are SO different. The only way to know what the end result looks like is to try it and see, just like when we try different new pads, rotors and other brake components. Go for it and report back . . .
Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

too bad the guy from vegas could not bolt up the kit he was trying to sell so we could put all the specualtion to rest and the z06 community would know for sure.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Originally Posted by dvandentop
too bad the guy from vegas could not bolt up the kit he was trying to sell so we could put all the specualtion to rest and the z06 community would know for sure.
????? P.M. sent
Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

????? P.M. sent
the American total HP performance or whatever his name is, the one everyone was getting mad at due to he was wanting to trade his zr1 setup he got for free from gm and wanted to trade for z06 setup + some cash.

He was building a car for sema if i remember correctly
Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a Z06 and won't have a ZR1 ( which statement means I might someday own a Z06 so I keep up on what people say about the car and do with it ).

So, I read that the Z06 is track ready to a degree that the base C6 isn't even close. And I read that the Z06 is track ready to a degree that the base C6 with Z51 isn't even close ( though Z51 option owners say otherwise etc ).

And I read posts from Z06 owners who are justly proud of their cars and who remain proud no matter that the ZR1 exists etc.

There things about the Z06 that make it special like the displacement that no matter the SC on the ZR1 and more hp the Z06 still is "the 427" etc.

So, I read a post from someone I assume is a Z06 owner and have to scratch my head. Why would a Z06 owner want to install ZR1 brakes on his car when the Z06 brakes are big, strong, and apparently more than up to controlling the 505 hp?

'Cause the way it seems to me if ZR1 brakes were put on a Z06 it would no longer be as good as a Z06. It would be a Z06 that the owner didn't think was "good enough" and so put on ZR1 brakes. And then I'd ask what's next? See through hood? Emblems? Body panels?

I have become convinced in the course of reading hundreds of posts by proud and loyal Z06 owners that it's a terrific world class car in a class all by itself. It simply seems a shame to tamper with it by adding ZR1 parts. Tampering with the base car or base car with Z51 option seems like nothing by comparision.

My comments are intended to convey my respect for the Z06 and opinion that it should not be made to resemble or perform like a ZR1. it is what it is and that is superlative.

But I only know what I read from owners about the Z06. Maybe I got it wrong but I don't think so.

My goodness, those ZR1 brakes must cost $15,000 or more.....just save your money and get a ZR1 but don't try to clone one.

disclaimer: just my opinions

Last edited by OregonC6; 11-18-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 PM
lorenzo
Racer

If you bolt on a Brembo kit or any other brand for that matter , are there any changes to the system required? Does the system work the same?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Oregonc6, Whoooooo big fella, I can understand your way of thinking, i too wonder sometimes about some of what i read and shake my head.

For me the whole car is just a toy, and i could have bought a dancing donkie to play with but didn't figure there was anything i could have ever been able to do to it even changing my own oil was out of the question on one of those so i bought the Z for the fun of it.

Im not trying to clone a ZR1 and no clear hoods in my future ect...
and as for the brakes that my Z came with, they are perfect.I don't race the thing so the brakes are more than i could ever need.

I just like to play around and try differant things thats all.

I just can't leave it alone, when that day comes i'll sell it and get something else, life's too short.

My only regrets are the risks i didn't take
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you bolt on a Brembo kit or any other brand for that matter , are there any changes to the system required? Does the system work the same?
Brembo kits are designed to work as bolt-ons, the ZR1 system is designed to work with the ZR1. For example, you can add certain racing brake pads front and rear and wind up with brake bias that is not ideal, so a different compound is used in the front and the rear (common with Hawk and Carbotech racing pads) to adjust for the difference.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Brembo kits are designed to work as bolt-ons, the ZR1 system is designed to work with the ZR1. For example, you can add certain racing brake pads front and rear and wind up with brake bias that is not ideal, so a different compound is used in the front and the rear (common with Hawk and Carbotech racing pads) to adjust for the difference.
Good point Thanks for the reply, I didn't take that into consideration, Im currentlly useing the Carbotech pads, i changed em out when the car had 800 miles on it, however my pads are the same, front to rear. Thanks Allen
Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Very good points from Allan.

Here is some info from someone I know on here that has studied both Z06 brakes and the Zr1 brakes.

Things to consider if you want to go with ZR1 brakes:
New wheels because the stock 18 inch Z06 wheels will not clear the calipers and some of the aftermarket 19 inch front wheels will not clear either.

Spindles because the mounting spacing on the calipers is different than a Z06.

New front wheel bearings (ZR1) due to the greater heat load generated by the ceramic rotors. "Not sure about the rears. I have not checked the part numbers yet to see if there is a difference."

And probably the new Bosch ZR1 ABS controller and a Tech 2 programmer to try to get it functioning.

The calibration in the current ABS controller will not work with the ceramic brakes. Because the brakes are used by the Active Handling Control software, even in competition mode, there could be MAJOR handling issues.

Also, (from another poster)
If you're going to change to the Bosch computer (used on '09 Z06 & ZR1) you have to change all four hubs... the electronics are different (i.e. ABS sensor / connector is different).
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Assume the actual system will NOT know that you have bolted on the ZR1 system. It will send out its control signals (ABS, TC, AH etc.) as if you had the Z06 components, and the results may not be satisfactory since the ZR1 components are SO different. The only way to know what the end result looks like is to try it and see, just like when we try different new pads, rotors and other brake components. Go for it and report back . . .
The ABS system doesn't need to know. It uses wheel speeds to determine how to manage ABS, TC, and AH. If there is a difference in front to rear brake calibration the system will actually modulate the wheel cylinder pressures to keep things under control. Even if you kept your original brakes you could get front to rear differences in braking just by installing different pads front and rear.

Bill
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Originally Posted by XCELER8
Very good points from Allan.

Here is some info from someone I know on here that has studied both Z06 brakes and the Zr1 brakes.

Things to consider if you want to go with ZR1 brakes:
New wheels because the stock 18 inch Z06 wheels will not clear the calipers and some of the aftermarket 19 inch front wheels will not clear either.

Spindles because the mounting spacing on the calipers is different than a Z06.

New front wheel bearings (ZR1) due to the greater heat load generated by the ceramic rotors. "Not sure about the rears. I have not checked the part numbers yet to see if there is a difference."

And probably the new Bosch ZR1 ABS controller and a Tech 2 programmer to try to get it functioning.

The calibration in the current ABS controller will not work with the ceramic brakes. Because the brakes are used by the Active Handling Control software, even in competition mode, there could be MAJOR handling issues.

Also, (from another poster)
If you're going to change to the Bosch computer (used on '09 Z06 & ZR1) you have to change all four hubs... the electronics are different (i.e. ABS sensor / connector is different).

Thank you. Thats the kind of information i needed.

My information might be wrong but i was told the spindels are the same.Otherwise, it sounds like a brembo set up might be in my future.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The ABS system doesn't need to know. It uses wheel speeds to determine how to manage ABS, TC, and AH. If there is a difference in front to rear brake calibration the system will actually modulate the wheel cylinder pressures to keep things under control. Even if you kept your original brakes you could get front to rear differences in braking just by installing different pads front and rear.

Bill
That's exactly what i was thinking, I can't figure out how it would know.
But then again i'm not an engineer.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The ABS system doesn't need to know. It uses wheel speeds to determine how to manage ABS, TC, and AH.
Damn you Bill. How dare you insert knowledge into an otherwise highly speculative conversation. Sheesh!

The nerve.

jas
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

When I talked to the guys in the Brembo booth at SEMA about this he said it will physically bolt on, but will not work properly. The EBCM, BPMV and other parts are listed the same for all '09 models, but the brake bias is one thing he said that is most different.

Somebody needs to just try it and see. Until then we will be basing it all on speculation.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 brakes on a Z06

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you. Thats the kind of information i needed.

My information might be wrong but i was told the spindels are the same.Otherwise, it sounds like a brembo set up might be in my future.
Thanks for the reply.
Spindles are the same for a base C6, Z06 and a ZR1.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill
This is what I always thought shoudl be the case - since it is possible to change the compund of the stock brake pads and the system is still somewhat able to compensate for changes and differences.

Now as to whether the ZR1 setup would last as long or be better at handling fade is up for debate - I stillc ant see how swapping otu tthe disks and calipers is such a doomed excercise as its made out to be.

Now mixing and matching calipers and rotors might not get you rthe "best" systme out there but I am sure it will still work pretty well.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

I have a set of 20s going on so if anyone wants to pay for a test dummy I will be happy to put my car up for that time frame..

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 brakes on a Z06