Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Remove leaf spring - with coilovers - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove leaf spring - with coilovers - yes or no?

Another member ask me about the advantages of having the leaf springs removed with a coilover set up - I really don't know - I am leaving my leaf springs on the car with a coilover set up.

Could one of the more knowledgeable members help us out - please explain the pros and cons about having the leaf springs on with a coilover set or removing them with a coilover set up.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 AM
captej
Drifting

remove remove remove
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by captej
remove remove remove
Yea - but Y ? The manufactor says to leave them on.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

The Callaway-Eibach setup is designed to be used with the stock springs. If you aren't tracking the car and trying to gain 10ths iin your lap times there is really little purpose in changing them out.

Z//
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pros of removing leaf springs
Weight-- 2 leaf springs with hardware is 24lbs, 4 steel coil springs is 8lbs
Height adjustability-- Easier to adjust the ride height since you're removing the lowering bolts
More independent cornering because you don't have the leaf spring connecting one end to the other
Very inexpensive to easy to swap spring rates

Cons of removing leaf springs
Slightly less roll resistance since the leafs act like tiny sway bar
Putting more of the cornering forces on the shock mounts
slightly more involved install

It works great both ways and it's the shocks that are really the star of the show.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Pros of removing leaf springs
Weight-- 2 leaf springs with hardware is 24lbs, 4 steel coil springs is 8lbs
Height adjustability-- Easier to adjust the ride height since you're removing the lowering bolts
More independent cornering because you don't have the leaf spring connecting one end to the other
Very inexpensive to easy to swap spring rates

Cons of removing leaf springs
Slightly less roll resistance since the leafs act like tiny sway bar
Putting more of the cornering forces on the shock mounts
slightly more involved install

It works great both ways and it's the shocks that are really the star of the show.
Mike

Thanks for the info I just talked to Brent at Eibach and he mirrored what you have said - also suggested that since I am not tracking the car not to remove the leaf spring because it puts more pressure on the shock mounts and over time can / will destroy the upper shock mount.

Joe

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 11-04-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of this [?] All the coilover implementations I've ever seen removed the leaf springs since they're being replaced with a coil spring. Or you can run aftermarket shocks/swaybar with the stock leafs (or swap out to aftermarket leafs like T1's or VBP's).

Me confused.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Name me one race car that has Leaf Springs...? I know that Penski and Pfadt say take them out, but Callaway states to leave them in... I took mine out with the Pfadts; I really like the ride and the handeling... Either way, you cant go wrong...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Mike I can't afford a RACE car! So I'm improving what GM doesn't want to!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really simple - to my knowledge, all (or almost all) coilover setups EXCEPT the Callaway-Eibach are designed to be used without the leaf springs - the coil springs they come with are selected assuming there will be no additional spring force (from the leafs). I assume you could specifically request a very light spring with another brand of coilovers so the leaf springs could remain, but that would defeat how the original coilover package was designed.

Now, if the question is whether the Callaway-Eibach design is superior to all the others, we've had this discussion before and it seems to be a matter of taste.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by allanlaw
This is really simple - to my knowledge, all (or almost all) coilover setups EXCEPT the Callaway-Eibach are designed to be used without the leaf springs - the coil springs they come with are selected assuming there will be no additional spring force (from the leafs). I assume you could specifically request a very light spring with another brand of coilovers so the leaf springs could remain, but that would defeat how the original coilover package was designed.

Now, if the question is whether the Callaway-Eibach design is superior to all the others, we've had this discussion before and it seems to be a matter of taste.

To my limited knowledge of all the coilovers systems out there I think you are right in saying that C-E is the one that tells you to leave the leaf spring in. As far as changing the original question to start a pissing contest of what is the best or worst system that serves no purpose ! I do agree it is a matter of taste.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
WFO
Drifting

Tke out the leaf springs. Coilovers replace leaf spring action.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Do what you want but the only reason to leave them in would be if you have a Z06 that doesn't have a steal frame. Although Doug Rippie has done tests without issue on the Z06.

The big problems leaving the leafs in besides not being able to lower your car more then the spring lets you is that the leafs load up when your in a corner so you loose some of that truly independent suspension.

I had Pfadt coilovers on my C6 and the car was fantastic. Obviously I took out the leafs. Good luck with what ever you do. If you need help I am not to far away. I've done the change on the coilovers a couple times on vettes. Make sure your get an alignment when you complete the change.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Yes! Remove them. I did.

Last edited by bruce1; 11-04-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:18 PM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

PFADT has them removed, I just added them to my C6 Z06 and I like the way the car handles over the stock set up.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Leaf spring cross talk does not exist with the way the stock leafs are mounted.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce1
Yes! Remove them. I did.
Yoda, I didn't know you drove a vette!

Get notified of new replies

To Remove leaf spring - with coilovers - yes or no?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all for the infomation - I understand and know quite a few people running Pfadt coilovers - I almost bought a set myself - there is a differece in their system and the way the Eibach coilovers function - I have to believe that Eibach would not recommend leaving the leaf spring in for no reason have you looked at the top mounting brackets for the shocks they suck there really could use some improvement add that to the list GM I don't track the car or have plans too It is only 2 months old and I care not to find out the hard way and damage the mounts so I am going to leave the leaf springs in for now I will still be able to lower the car as far as I planned with stock bolts California roads : won't allow you to slam it anyway worst case I can always take the springs off later
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 AM
lorenzo
Racer

I don't use my car on the track either [ yet ] but i sure am happy with the Eibach set up.They intend for you the retain the transverse mono leaf and you still set your ride height with the bolts.
As for the abaility to lower the car, Yes you can slam it to the point where you will rub the front end in driveways,parking lots ect...

Get an alinement when your finished

Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RoatanMan
Name me one race car that has Leaf Springs...? I know that Penski and Pfadt say take them out, but Callaway states to leave them in... I took mine out with the Pfadts; I really like the ride and the handeling... Either way, you cant go wrong...
Race cars use coil overs because the suspension is tuned for each race track and coil overs make that tuning much easier during the practice sessions prior to every race. Also, if there is suspension damage during the race, it is much easier to replace the coil over package. These qualities are not necessary for street cars that also occasionally see track duty, and the Vette suspenion design works very well in that scenario.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Remove leaf spring - with coilovers - yes or no?