Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Viper ACR at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 AM
ICC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper ACR at VIR

Hi Guys,

A fellow track guy that I know slightly has recently purchased a new ACR. I have had the opportunity to run with this individual several times before he acquired the new car and he was a safe and courteous driver with his Viper GTS. He wasn't fast enough to write home about (well none of us are) but you knew he was there. I would say he was a 2:15 - 2:17 car at VIR full course.

I was at the track the past couple of days with Chin and he was there as well. I was running my "Adiós" Zo6 and had new R6's. I felt pretty good and was hoping to break into the mid 2:07's.

I didn't run as much as I wanted as I was helping students with their cars and in general.

Yesterday afternoon, after I ran one session to heat put heat in the car, I approached my colleague about running together.

Now to make everyone happy that runs or drives in HPDE's let me say; THIS IS NOT RACING.

OK, having got that out of the way, here is the SITREP:

On the first lap he pointed me by between 6 and 7. He had a little traffic so after about five laps I had a backstretch lead on him. I pit in and wait for him. I pit out and am on his rear bumper at one. He's on it and so am I.

From turn one to four I have him covered, no sweat. From 5 to 11 (Oak Tree) he is in full command. He must have been running 135 entering the uphill esses as he was pulling away and I generally enter that segment around 130.

We enter the braking zone into 14 about 165 and again he just walks away into the front straight. The ACR flat out rockets out of Hogpen and I catch him in the braking zone entering one. We were traveling 160 on the front stretch.....

Bottom line, I ran out of time to see if I could pass him again. But, I doubt I could. That car is so powerful and stable, it was incredible.

Keep in mind that this guy was no track "Commander" up to this point, and he was on the stock tires and brakes.

Just the facts........
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

What setup are you running on the Z? I saw where you said you were on fresh R6's. So you should have had a bit of an advantage over his pilot cups. I'm just wondering if simple brake and suspenion upgrades are enough to run with one of these things.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
ICC
Advanced

I am running stock calipers with Hawk race pads, T1 sway bars, and a very mild tune. Also, after the mufflers came apart (and GM would not warranty them) I ran straight pipes out the rear.

I have stock springs and shocks, but have upgraded the bushings on the car.

Car runs OK, but is not a 500 RWHP car.

My best time is in the high 2:07 range (VIR full course). Perhaps someone else with my setup could best that time but I am at a plateau.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Larry T
Racer

...a friend of mine in our town just received a new ACR, and I must say that it is an impressionable piece on the street. We have agreed to take our cars out to the local mountains for some afternoon "fun"; can't wait. There sure aren't many ammenities in that car, stripped to hold down the weight.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper ACR at VIR

Quick Reply: [Z06] Viper ACR at VIR