Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blew My LS7 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
KILLER06GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell did the GTR have that was putting 3-5 cars on a cammed z06???
Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KAMZ
Man, real sorry to hear that. Keep us updated what exactly caused this. Do u think that the tuner has to be blamed by any chance? i mean if the car was bone stock, would this happen?

i am very curious.

K
At this point cant really blame anyone i just have to wait till tomorrow to find out what happened, ill keek updating as to what happened???

Originally Posted by KILLER06GT
I dont know what he told me he had done i say to that cause that car was moving.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Wow I'm shocked that the LS7 blew up with a cam mod.

My Vote is failed rocker arm.

Also I agree with someone who mentioned the Tune.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
XxMFxX
Instructor

we figured this out the hard way, the US spec GTRs were doing 0.7bar of boost while the ones that we were getting here were hitting as high as 1.1bar from the factory, so its either they came from japan this way, or the dealership over here tunes them and sells them, since they are sold WAY WAY WAY above sticker.

weve seen gtrs being beaten by stock z06s, and ive seen GTRs that smoke the living crap out of a Z06, how? I want to know myself.

I personally know that this guy with thr GTR, and he raced my friends procharged Z06 and were dead even, raced Zeshawns cammed z06, and another cammed z06, and also raced a stock Z06 (he says he was dead even with stock z06 at that time though).

One last person left to race with, ME!!! lol
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
KILLER06GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NVM I figured out why he got beat so bad.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

I feel your pain brother!

P1ssed and broke...

Or, put it another way, piston broke.

Mine had the LPE 616hp cam kit, full Ferrea spring kit. All the valves were still there, so it was a piston failure.

Tune was pre-done by LPE (i.e. conservative mail order tune, as I am in the UK) and appeared to always run rich as the exhaust was always sooty black and never a hint of det.

Have never zinged it, although I regularly ran it close to the rev limiter.

I am now getting a QM600 and springs, getting Carlos to email tune it and fitting ARE's Stage 2 dry sump kit, Motul motorsport ester-based synthetic oil and I will try to keep the revs down on track.

I know I shoulda gone down the Katech route with forged pistons, but have you guys seen the British Pound exchange rate recently?!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxMFxX
we figured this out the hard way, the US spec GTRs were doing 0.7bar of boost while the ones that we were getting here were hitting as high as 1.1bar from the factory, so its either they came from japan this way, or the dealership over here tunes them and sells them, since they are sold WAY WAY WAY above sticker.

weve seen gtrs being beaten by stock z06s, and ive seen GTRs that smoke the living crap out of a Z06, how? I want to know myself.

I personally know that this guy with thr GTR, and he raced my friends procharged Z06 and were dead even, raced Zeshawns cammed z06, and another cammed z06, and also raced a stock Z06 (he says he was dead even with stock z06 at that time though).

I ask because I race myself with one and it was NO contest, I have another GTR friend that have a full exhaust system (no cats) intake filter and the COBB tunning (put the car on aprox. 1.0 bar) he said the car is a beast, I will race him soon but eather way your theory maybe right... but then again he can have a little of N.O.S. for that matter

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Yu
I feel your pain brother!

P1ssed and broke...

Or, put it another way, piston broke.

Mine had the LPE 616hp cam kit, full Ferrea spring kit. All the valves were still there, so it was a piston failure.

Tune was pre-done by LPE (i.e. conservative mail order tune, as I am in the UK) and appeared to always run rich as the exhaust was always sooty black and never a hint of det.

Have never zinged it, although I regularly ran it close to the rev limiter.

I am now getting a QM600 and springs, getting Carlos to email tune it and fitting ARE's Stage 2 dry sump kit, Motul motorsport ester-based synthetic oil and I will try to keep the revs down on track.

I know I shoulda gone down the Katech route with forged pistons, but have you guys seen the British Pound exchange rate recently?!

Thank you very much Mr. Yu

Kit has all your items and you should be getting it all soon

Thanks again,
Carlos
Old 10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
jamie392
Instructor

Originally Posted by yanniz
small world, isn't it? I know exactly the area that you are talking about...

good luck with your engine....get it fixed soon and get your car back on the road
Very small world I was born and raised about 10mins from there.Kenmore you know where the sea-plane air harbor is? on Lake Washington, lived right above that.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to take a guess, but maybe this cammed Z06 wasn't running right...thats why it BLEW while they were racing!!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMFxX

damn that GTR is so lucky he's on the other side of the world...i would love to pull him in my "stock" Z06...i mean its a battle of stock cars right..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
WFO
Drifting

Who knows many things could have led to failure. You should never have been toasted by another ride, with what you had in your car...no way.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

what year is your Z?

how long has your car had the cam in it? who did the install?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM
dg144
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zeshawn
So guys i blew my motor today racin a modded R35 ofcourse on a closed circuit.
I had the following mods LG stage 3 cams, LG long tube headers with x pipe, K&N intake and a tune from one of the best tuners in Dubai.
So i did 5 runs with this guy all from a roll and on all 5 runs he pulled about 3-5 cars on me.Well forget that part.
On our last run we did a run from a 50km i was in 1st went up to about 200km and boom i look in my rear view mirror smoke every where then i heard the worst sound somethin came out of the engin and hit the bottom of the passenger side. Pulled over and there was oil every where, went to the back of the car and oil on the bumper so i was like f*** . So what do you guys think happened the car was running fine i didnt miss **** didnt red line did 7grand perfect shifts its been driving me crazy what the F happened.
My engine broke last month on a road course, It was determined to be an oiling issue, rod and collar pin came out, oil everywhere, burnt the paint off the rear end, 14 days later I drove it home from my dealer after a full warrantee repair, zero balance. Hats off to Gm
Old 10-25-2008, 01:13 AM
wickedness
Instructor

Please post a picture of your blown motor. It will give everyone a better idea what happened.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dg144
My engine broke last month on a road course, It was determined to be an oiling issue, rod and collar pin came out, oil everywhere, burnt the paint off the rear end, 14 days later I drove it home from my dealer after a full warrantee repair, zero balance. Hats off to Gm
wow, did they know u were at the track? thats good service.
what year is ur Z?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
damn that GTR is so lucky he's on the other side of the world...i would love to pull him in my "stock" Z06...i mean its a battle of stock cars right..
I would love to see it but the GTR is hevialy modded has to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by WFO
Who knows many things could have led to failure. You should never have been toasted by another ride, with what you had in your car...no way.
Well s**t happens, hopefully if every thing goes well i will come back with a stronger and faster car

Originally Posted by POACHR
what year is your Z?

how long has your car had the cam in it? who did the install?
Its a 08 z i have had the cam package in it for about a week and it was all done at the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Blew My LS7 :(

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
KAMZ
Instructor

hey zee, any updates?

K
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sounds like you're in need of new engine. You should give Jason at Katech a call and have him ship you Street Attack or Track Attack engine; with their forged internals you'll be in business.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:33 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by KAMZ
hey zee, any updates?

K
I spoke to the guy at the dealership they told me that they will check what happened and give me a call but nothing yet.
Ill update as soon as i find out

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blew My LS7 :(