Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Carbon Fiber weaved hood PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Let me zip up the Flame suit: I work in a carbon fiber & composite facility, Aerospace primarily, both military & commercial composites. I do not like the looks of bare carbon fiber on cars, and although probably not the pics shown in this thread, most of what you see that appears to be carbon fiber is generally overlay. Carbon fiber is not easy to lay up and get the lines straight, especially on configurations. Fwiw, what appears to be carbon fiber on the Z16 vette was actually an overlay even thought the hood was real carbon fiber, they could not get the finish to look good & accept paint, so they went overlay. It's not a matter of rice and / or import, I just don't like the unfinished look / appearance.
But I won't run down those that do like the appearance of it. Just not for me.
but its original carbon fiber overlay and not just a sticker type of thing right? cause you could actually see the threads if you go close, while the other sticker type is simply a carbon fiber weave PRINT that looks like the real deal from far, and once you step up closer it looks like crap.

What I really like is the matt finish exposed carbon fiber look just like the Zonda F Roadster.

I guess im finally going with the red hood on my car, if it was another car where the hood was properly covering up the front portion of my car, and possible another car color say white, then exposed carbon was gonna be my choice no questions asked.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Gary Wells
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
but its original carbon fiber overlay and not just a sticker type of thing right? cause you could actually see the threads if you go close, while the other sticker type is simply a carbon fiber weave PRINT that looks like the real deal from far, and once you step up closer it looks like crap.

What I really like is the matt finish exposed carbon fiber look just like the Zonda F Roadster.

I guess im finally going with the red hood on my car, if it was another car where the hood was properly covering up the front portion of my car, and possible another car color say white, then exposed carbon was gonna be my choice no questions asked.
Ayousef:
Hopefully, neither you nor anyone else took my post offensively. I just do not like the looks of "non-real" appearances on cars. I do not know the answer to your question, but guessing, I would assume that almost all or most of what appear to be overlay probably nothing more than a picture or film of composite and / or carbon fiber. A real carbon fiber lay-up just to use as a skin, if you will, would be terribly cost prohibitive. And I am not familiar with what the matt finish looks like on the Zonda F roadster. As far as race cars that competitively race and they have composite / carbon fiber body / body parts / panels, why paint which only adds weight, generally something that a race car can't afford. I wish you well with your car. HTH
Also, fwiw, I sincerely hope that none of the vendors / suppliers, CF and otherwise, take my posting offensively.

Last edited by Gary Wells; 07-20-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Gary Wells
Racer

Ayousef:
Hopefully, neither you nor anyone else took my post offensively. I just do not like the looks of "non-real" appearances on cars. I do not know the answer to your question, but guessing, I would assume that almost all or most of what appear to be overlay probably nothing more than a picture or film of composite and / or carbon fiber. A real carbon fiber lay-up just to use as a skin, if you will, would be terribly cost prohibitive. And I am not familiar with what the matt finish looks like on the Zonda F roadster. As far as race cars that competitively race and they have composite / carbon fiber body / body parts / panels, why paint which only adds weight, generally something that a race car can't afford. I wish you well with your car. HTH
Also, fwiw, I sincerely hope that none of the vendors / suppliers, CF and otherwise, take my posting offensively.
Oops, my bad big time. Ayousef, after looking at all of the pics in this thread again, I do like the looks of the carbon fiber on 3 cars in this thread. (1) The red ZR1 with the photoshopped carbon fiber hood, but probably the red & black wheels have a lot to do with that decision. (2) Jason,s (Katech) car, and (3) The what appears to be a cyber grey
ZR1 that only shows the top & inside of the car.
One observation that I did note, though, and that is the 3 cars that I did like the looks of the carbon fiber hood on only look good at an angle that reflects the carbon fiber weave pattern. They do not offer the same appearance when the hood looks black. So I have to go along with the others that have previously stated that a black hood on a contrasting colored car is possibly not socially acceptable.
The other cars, even the exotics, look like they don't belong in either the race nor the street crowd with the carbon fiber, whether real or not.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fedaricko01
The difference between the Katech car and a ricer's Honda is that the carbon fiber on the Katech car is REAL CARBON FIBER.
I don't even think that Z06; or Corvette for that matter and Honda should be used in the same sentence.
I have a real carbon fiber hood on my yellow Honda S2000 and it is painter the color of the car. Looks much better painted. I don't need to drive around saying to everyone, "look at me, I have carbon fiber." If the car is designed for exposed CF, then it will, in all likelyhood, look good. But a big black panel in a sea of red looks out of place in my opinion, And it certainly fits my description of "rice". But different strokes for different folks, and if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Katech
Thank you!

PS...and about 450hp
Not quite, my Honda puts out 589whp.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Carbon fiber comes in two types, wet CF and dry CF. Wet carbon fiber is loaded with resin and is not much lighter or stronger than a typical fiber glass panel. Dry carbon fiber is very light, strong, and expensive. I don't know which type the ZR1 uses.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Gary Wells
Racer

Originally Posted by fperra
Carbon fiber comes in two types, wet CF and dry CF. Wet carbon fiber is loaded with resin and is not much lighter or stronger than a typical fiber glass panel. Dry carbon fiber is very light, strong, and expensive. I don't know which type the ZR1 uses.
Wet carbon fiber would be considerably stronger, but maybe not in a weight by weight comparison. Wet carbon fiber is referred to as resin impregnated, or pre-preg as it is referred to in the industry. It is probably what you see in all of those pictures. It may not be a lot less weight, but I am sure that it is less weight and it is considerably stronger due to it's resin composition and it's nature of manufacture.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Let me zip up the Flame suit: I work in a carbon fiber & composite facility, Aerospace primarily, both military & commercial composites. I do not like the looks of bare carbon fiber on cars, and although probably not the pics shown in this thread, most of what you see that appears to be carbon fiber is generally overlay. Carbon fiber is not easy to lay up and get the lines straight, especially on configurations. Fwiw, what appears to be carbon fiber on the Z16 vette was actually an overlay even thought the hood was real carbon fiber, they could not get the finish to look good & accept paint, so they went overlay. It's not a matter of rice and / or import, I just don't like the unfinished look / appearance.
But I won't run down those that do like the appearance of it. Just not for me.

I can tell you that my hood is not a laminate and the outer skin was made from a single sheet of carbon fiber. Its made by the company that makes the Corvette World Challenge and Grand-Am race bodies. I have another lift-off World Challenge hood in our shop now and it is definitely all carbon fiber.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Gary Wells
Racer

Originally Posted by Katech
I can tell you that my hood is not a laminate and the outer skin was made from a single sheet of carbon fiber. Its made by the company that makes the Corvette World Challenge and Grand-Am race bodies. I have another lift-off World Challenge hood in our shop now and it is definitely all carbon fiber.
Jason:
From your rep in this forum, Jason, I can tell you that I never have, am not now, and never plan to in the future question the integrity of any of your products. I never doubted for one second that your carbon fiber hoods are carbon fiber. Sorry that you would take it any other way.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Jason:
From your rep in this forum, Jason, I can tell you that I never have, am not now, and never plan to in the future question the integrity of any of your products. I never doubted for one second that your carbon fiber hoods are carbon fiber. Sorry that you would take it any other way.
I know. I'm just saying the ACP stuff isn't an overlay.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:59 PM
aTX427

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
We have one in stock ready to ship.

Here is a pic from when we were in the GM Wind Tunnel doing testing.
Bobby, Is this your new hood or ACP? - PM me the price please
Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 AM
neveo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

i think that the carbon fiber hood with 3 rows of louvres would look great on my black Z... we need a group buy
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by neveo
i think that the carbon fiber hood with 3 rows of louvres would look great on my black Z... we need a group buy
Good luck even getting ACP to send you one hood
Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Good luck even getting ACP to send you one hood
why
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by ayousef
why
I waited over 3 months for a front splitter. Still never got it..
Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProgGod
I waited over 3 months for a front splitter. Still never got it..
I asked them and got something like "well get one for you" I dont know if that means they got hoods coming soon, or ill have to go through waiting like you

they claimed 3-5 weeks production time if i was not mistaken? WhaT excuses are you being given, cause I think you should have spoken have spoken about it on the forum if you didn't
Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They (ACP) also told me, 3-5 weeks and received my louvered within that time frame. Im now waiting from the body shop to get painted. Will post as soon as I get it back. My body shop said end of this week (7/25/08). so this means I should have it installed next week (7/28-30/08). Will surely take pics & post. Talk to kerry. This is the gentleman I spoke with. Seems a decent man to deal with!?! Only my impression over the phone and my 1 transaction with him. Until the next time...

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber weaved hood PICS

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1stZ
They (ACP) also told me, 3-5 weeks and received my louvered within that time frame. Im now waiting from the body shop to get painted. Will post as soon as I get it back. My body shop said end of this week (7/25/08). so this means I should have it installed next week (7/28-30/08). Will surely take pics & post. Talk to kerry. This is the gentleman I spoke with. Seems a decent man to deal with!?! Only my impression over the phone and my 1 transaction with him. Until the next time...
that was good to hear
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
neveo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

i dont know who i spoke to last friday but i was told it was 2 and a half weeks... now i cant remember if it was for fiberglass as they have two material types....
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this carbon one here, sanded and cleared ( They do not come out shiney like that out of the mold, gary can vouch for that with wet lay)

But its ready to go, no muss, no fuss, no wait.

Bobby

Quick Reply: [Z06] Carbon Fiber weaved hood PICS