Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 broken rocker arm needle bearings issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
vvlf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
Can someone confirm on the Comp trunnion kit whether you reuse the stock bolts or use the comp supplied bolts to bolt the rocker back down once you install the trunnions? Read some threads where some used the stock bolts because the comp bolts were too long and others say the comp bolts worked fine so need to know which is it??
The stock ones work fine <- I would just use those

Originally Posted by LemansbluebyU
I have a 2007, I checked the build date and found it was 21 out of 32 Z06's built on july 10th 2006. It was #157 of 8159 Z06's built for the 2007 production year and 1 of 827 in LeMans Blue. I recently just checked my rockers to find that they are in perfect condition but just to be on the safe side since I am planning on some mods I am having them switched out for the comp cams trunions. I actually have two sets of the trunions and I only need one so if anyone wants a set pm me and I will send it out $130 shipped (us) brand new still in the wrapper. Oh and YES they do fit the LS-7 motors!!!!!
I believe the Comp kit works for all LS motors
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Looks like there is still a difference of opinion on whether to use the comp bolts or stock ones. I guess I will wait till my rockers are back on with the trunnions installed and see the difference in bolt length before deciding which to use.

Another question to those that have done the upgrade. Did you take the parts out of the plastic packages and install or did you clean them up a bit and oil them slightly with engine oil before install??
Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Looks like there is still a difference of opinion on whether to use the comp bolts or stock ones. I guess I will wait till my rockers are back on with the trunnions installed and see the difference in bolt length before deciding which to use.

Another question to those that have done the upgrade. Did you take the parts out of the plastic packages and install or did you clean them up a bit and oil them slightly with engine oil before install??
Cleaned the trunions prior to assembly and then stored the rockers in a tin of engine oil until I was ready to install in the car. I used the supplied bolts after measuring each hole to make sure they wouldn't bottom out. I used compressed air to clean any oil from the bottom of the holes and did not use thread locker as it is not recommended in the service manual.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 03-17-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

ok thanks, and did you also do any kind of cleaning on the caged brgs. or just install as is after cleaning the trunnions?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Bearings were clean but the trunions were coated with heavy sticky preservative type oil and were dirty.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM
vvlf
Pro

Keep in mind this is a universal LS trunion upgrade kit, its not specific to just our LS motors. Its not as though the bolts are supplied because the stock ones will no longer suffice in our particular scenario. My opinion is why change / fix it if theres nothing wrong with it. But to each their own

Just took them out of the package and installed. Nothing wrong with allowing the prepacked grease to do its job
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Comp cams trunnion upgrade kit ordered.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Im sorry, im lazy to read through all 41 pages; aside from addressing the bearing issue, will this kit help the sewing machine type noise?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
John_P
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maligator
Im sorry, im lazy to read through all 41 pages; aside from addressing the bearing issue, will this kit help the sewing machine type noise?
-------------------------------------
Maligator:

The "Comp Cam" Trunion Kit took away almost any and all of that "sewing machine type" noise that has been described in this thread on my 2007 Z06. However,... let me add that my car did not have as much "valve train noise" as some of the other CF members have described.

I think that CF member vvlf also said the kit quieted his engine considerably too.

--------
John_P
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John_P
-------------------------------------
Maligator:

The "Comp Cam" Trunion Kit took away almost any and all of that "sewing machine type" noise that has been described in this thread on my 2007 Z06. However,... let me add that my car did not have as much "valve train noise" as some of the other CF members have described.

I think that CF member vvlf also said the kit quieted his engine considerably too.

--------
John_P

thats excellent. I know vvlf said it was amazing how the noise was subdued, but I wasnt sure if he was specifically speaking of the sewing machine type noise..................definitely mod number 2!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
John_P
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maligator
thats excellent. I know vvlf said it was amazing how the noise was subdued, but I wasnt sure if he was specifically speaking of the sewing machine type noise..................definitely mod number 2!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------
Maligator:

Yes, the "Comp Cam" Trunion Upgrade is by far the BEST mod I have done on my 2007 Z06! I am sure CF Member vvlf will come in here and give you some more input. He and others helped me ALOT here on this forum with this particular issue on our Z06's and I am darn glad I became a member here. Being fairly new I look to the knowledge and experience of so many of these members and it has sure paid off!

Please let us know how the mod works on your Z06!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Bud Meyer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comp Cam Trunion Upgrade

Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------
Maligator:

Yes, the "Comp Cam" Trunion Upgrade is by far the BEST mod I have done on my 2007 Z06! I am sure CF Member vvlf will come in here and give you some more input. He and others helped me ALOT here on this forum with this particular issue on our Z06's and I am darn glad I became a member here. Being fairly new I look to the knowledge and experience of so many of these members and it has sure paid off!

Please let us know how the mod works on your Z06!
Just finished installation on a 2008 Z. Build date 06/07. 22,500 miles. All the rocker bearings looked good. I Re-used the orignal cap screws. I have read post that say do not use lock-tite. I'm telling you that I think the factory used some type of lock tite as I fractured a Craftsmen 8mm socket removing the rockers. Avoiod using a 12 point socket 1/4 or 3/8 drive, it doesn't matter...they can round the heads off the orignal caps screws during removal. Did note that the outboard bearing cage on the Comp (pt #outboard only) bearing appeared to look as if it was slightly thicker material that the stock cage. The only reason I went with the #13702-KIT was my machine was in the built during the date of some units with valve failure due to rocker arm trunion bearing failure. I enjoy all the post and love to put the hammer down....
Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I see some red lock-tite material on my bolts too but I'll reinstall without it and keep an eye on things. If I have to pull the covers to retorque I might do the lock tite thing. Might be hard though since the bolt holes get oil in them and you need a clean area for the lock tite to really work. If it's torqued to specs it should stay there.

No problem getting my stock bolts off with the 8mm socket. Tried to do it with my regular 3/8 drive ratchet wouldn't budge. Went to the johnson bar and it cracked them all loose very easily. Loved the "ting" sound that you hear when the bolts cracked loose.

Might be a good idea to try that tape lock-tite sells now????

Last edited by Cman01; 03-24-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

My install was just completed, the thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...has-begun.html
Old 03-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I see some red lock-tite material on my bolts too but I'll reinstall without it and keep an eye on things. If I have to pull the covers to retorque I might do the lock tite thing. Might be hard though since the bolt holes get oil in them and you need a clean area for the lock tite to really work. If it's torqued to specs it should stay there.

No problem getting my stock bolts off with the 8mm socket. Tried to do it with my regular 3/8 drive ratchet wouldn't budge. Went to the johnson bar and it cracked them all loose very easily. Loved the "ting" sound that you hear when the bolts cracked loose.

Might be a good idea to try that tape lock-tite sells now????

Just did my CHE's this week...re-used stock bolts. Checked them 250mi later after 5-6 heat cycles and all were still torqued.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM
cosmer
1st Gear

Default What if your build date is before January 1, 2007

Hi guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Z06 with 2200 miles that was built in October of 2006. Is it possible that this vehicle will have the rocker arm bearing issues also? I could not find any information on the site that talked about the problem on 2007 cars built before January 1, 2007.

Any help would be really appreciated,

Gary
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
John_P
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosmer
Hi guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Z06 with 2200 miles that was built in October of 2006. Is it possible that this vehicle will have the rocker arm bearing issues also? I could not find any information on the site that talked about the problem on 2007 cars built before January 1, 2007.

Gary
---------------
Gary:

Welcome to the website Sir!

Gary, the majority of the LS-7 rocker arm problems seem to be on the early built 2007 Z06's. But, with that being said, all of the LS-7's have the basic same designed rocker arms with the lousy set-up on the needle bearings as has been well covered in this thread. In fact, if I am not mistaken, I think all of the LS engines have this same basic design. Some of the more veteran CF Members will correct me on this if I am wrong.

If you are seriously thinking of buying that 2007 you are looking at, i would suggest running the GM Maintenance History on the car along with a CarFax. If GM did any work on that engine, it will usually show on the GM History.

Hope that helps you some Sir.

--------
John_P

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 broken rocker arm needle bearings issue

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM
KGjevre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmer
Hi guys,

Gary
From my recollection it seems like the range as indicated in the 2nd post in this thread still is the time frame where there was an increased failure rate of the rocker arms, which is build date of January 2007 to about July 2007, so the car you are looking at should be outside of that range.
However, even outside of the higher failure rate time frame there can be still be failures, but regardless, I would not let that stop me from buying the car.

Like John_P says, have the Chevy service department run the history on the car. If it is a private party sale, you may have to get the current owner to do it as sometimes the service department will not do it unless you own the car.
In the past there have been some people on this form that have had access to run the history, and when I was looking for mine I got it done that way on some cars, but ended up buying a new one instead. Don't know if anyone is still doing it.

If you are really paranoid about the issue, have the valve covers pulled and check the rocker arms.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM
gbruner
Advanced

Default Bad Rocker

It happened to my 2007 Z06, with draining the pan, cost was 900.00. Replace 1 rocker.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Eddie1941
Heel & Toe

Default Rocker arms 2007 Z06

I know this is a old forum but I just know found it, my Z06 was built 11/06 but it just has 6200 miles on it, has anyone had problems with their rocker arms around this date. The dealer has not said anything about any problems with my car but I am going to have the oil changed tomorrow and tell them to check the drain plug .

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 broken rocker arm needle bearings issue