Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Here is my review of the new Billy Boat Fusion bi-mode exhaust. This is the 3" Z06 system with the Quad Round tips.

As some of you may know I retrofitted the 3" Z06 exhaust to my 2005 C6 last July before NPP mufflers were even an option to buy. I really liked the Bi-mode exhaust concept and had to have it on my 05. At first I used the stock Z06 mufflers. The Z06 mufflers were nice and quiet when closed, and were louder than stock when open, but just didnt have the true Muscle Car sound that I was searching for.

In comes the B+B Fusion exhaust system!

B+B makes a 2.5" Fusion muffler that is a direct bolt on fit for any 2005-2008 C6 with or without the NPP option.
They also have the Z06 system which is 3" all the way through and a direct bolt on for the Z06.
If you have the NPP option or a Z06 you wont need a vacuum source. If you are retrofitting you can get the vacuum control kit right from B+B!

The B+B Fusion mufflers arrived at my home in an extra heavy duty box. Inside the box the mufflers were wrapped up with speacial foam protecting the tips and all the vital components. Bubble wrap and expansion foam in bags were used throughout the box. This is some of the best shipping packaging I have ever seen. There is NO possible way that these mufflers are going to get damaged in transit. They arrived in Perfect shape.

I pulled out the mufflers and they gleamed like fine jewelry. These are some of the highest quality mufflers I have ever seen. The workmanship is outstanding. The welds are perfect and the vacuum actuator hardware is Top Notch. Billy Boat really knows how to make a high quality muffler. To top it off there is a LIFETIME warranty against corrosion!
The B+B 4" tips are Massive and certainly make the stock Z06 tips look small. The B+B Fusion 4" Quad round tips really fill out the rear of the vette nicely.

Here are a few shots of them:

Here are some shots comparing them to a stock Z06 muffler:

I switfly moved out to the garage and put the C6 up on stands. I was able to remove my stock Z06 mufflers in about 30 minutes. I brought the B+B Fusions out to the garage and installed them on the car. It was a simple install. The Fusion cans are actually smaller than the Z06 cans so it was fairly easy to get them to go in. Over the axles it is always tight, but I had no trouble at all getting them to go in. There were no clearance or fittment issues at all.
With the mufflers on the hangers and all bolted up I then plugged my vacuum system back in. All in all I spent about 90 minutes removing and installing the mufflers.

I use my Sunset Orange Creations ULTIMATE Exhaust Commander that has user selectable rpm opening points and wireless remotes to control the opening and closing of the butterflies. I used engine vacuum and a vacuum solenoid for the vacuum source and solenoid control.

B+B also sells a kit that uses engine vacuum with a vacuum solenoid and wireless control that does the opening and closing of the butterflies for those who wish to retrofit these to a C6 that didnt have bi-mode originally. Its really not very hard to do the retrofit at all.

Here are some on car pix:

Let me say this, the first time I started the car with the new mufflers I was HAPPY! These mufflers sound great!

The closed mode sounds great, no drone in the cabin but certainly more volume than closed Z06 mufflers. The open mode is well...BadA$$. Much louder than a Z06 muffler in the open position.

There is plenty of difference between open and closed modes at idle.
When those butterflies open the exhaust tone becomes much deeper and the volume is certainly louder than in the closed mode.

I hopped in and went for a spin. All I can say is wow! What a difference from the stock Z06 mufflers. The Fusion closed mode sounds great when running through the gears. Its aggressive sounding without being overbearing or too much.
In closed mode the exhaust sounds great.

The Fusion open mode is outright Mean sounding. It has the Muscle Car sound I was looking for! Exhaust volume with the butterflies open and running through the rpms is a lot louder than a stock Z06 mufflers in the open position.
There is a nice burble on decel when in the open position, but nothing obnoxious. At WOT these things wail! In th open position I wouldnt say they are as loud as the B+B bullets, but are fairly close. Maybe 75-80% as loud as B+B Bullets.

There is no noticable drone with the mufflers closed on the freeway.

On the freeway with the Fusions open there is some resonation, just as the Z06 mufflers have. But its not an issue because you either have a controller to open and close them, or are a stock system that opens and closes via rpm control.
I have mine set to open at 2000 rpms using my S.O.C. Ultimate Exhaust Commander, they open past the drone zone but are open for the maximum amount of time so you the maximum muscle sound possible. I can adjust the opening point rpm on my Ultimate Exhaust Commander to tailer it to any rpm profile I want.

I drove down to my local gas station for some gas and the first person at the pump that I pulled up next to commented that the Vette sounded "BadA$$". I never got that kind of compliment on the stock Z06 mufflers.

If you are on the fence about buying a set of the B+B Fusion mufflers, I would say get off the fence and buy them. They are without a doubt the BEST Bi-Mode muffler available! Spend just a little more on the B+B's as compared to stock NPP or Z06 cans and get the best quality and sound for your Vette.

I realize that exhaust tone is a subjective matter and that not everyone likes the Bi-mode system. Searching for the perfect exhaust tone is all part of making your Vette your own. If you like the bi-mode system and want a more aggressive sound. The B+B Fusion mufflers are the ticket.

Here's a video of the mufflers on the car. It runs through the rpms and I have them open at 2000 rpm and at 3500 rpm as well as full open and closed modes. An in car video is in the works.
Turn it up LOUD and Enjoy! (its a big video so be patient)(ps...sorry about the wind noise it was really windy)

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 03-10-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Gordysvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great sound , I love the 4 inch ends.They look like you saved some weight also .Thanks for the detailed write up.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gordysvette
Great sound , I love the 4 inch ends.They look like you saved some weight also .Thanks for the detailed write up.
Thanks for taking the time to read it and watch the video.

I love the sound of them. They really woke up the sound of my car as compared to the stock Z06 mufflers.

I didnt get a chance to weigh the two different mufflers, but in looking at them side to side the is certainly a size difference. And carrying them there feels like a weight savings by switching to the Fusions.

Take care and be safe out there,

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
teking
Drifting

This is the post I've been waiting for!!! Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Awesome post and a excellent video
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write up. Your car sounds SWEET! I'm definitely going to have to get me some of those.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

sounds bad ***, is that just stock headers then?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Stinger !!
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sunset.....EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!....

This should be in the 'sticky' section....

I recently bought your wireless remote for my '08 Z06 and I have been shopping around for these Fusions trying to get an idea of what to expect...sort of a 'crash course 101'...having recently owned and traded an '07 Coupe with Rt. 66 axle back, I knew I would be looking for B&B again...superior fit and finish...this write up just answered all my questions and I just ordered a set from a Forum Sponsor....I did find that the pricing is all over the place on these so I suggest if anybody wants a set...shop around...several hundred $$ in saving if you do it right!

Thanks a bunch for taking ALL the time to put this together...

'You da man'!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dvandentop
sounds bad ***, is that just stock headers then?
Yes, just stock manifolds and cats. The car is bone a stock LS2.

I've heard them on the Ls7 too and the sound is very similar.

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Stinger !!
Hey Sunset.....EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!....

This should be in the 'sticky' section....

I recently bought your wireless remote for my '08 Z06 and I have been shopping around for these Fusions trying to get an idea of what to expect...sort of a 'crash course 101'...having recently owned and traded an '07 Coupe with Rt. 66 axle back, I knew I would be looking for B&B again...superior fit and finish...this write up just answered all my questions and I just ordered a set from a Forum Sponsor....I did find that the pricing is all over the place on these so I suggest if anybody wants a set...shop around...several hundred $$ in saving if you do it right!

Thanks a bunch for taking ALL the time to put this together...

'You da man'!!
Thanks for the kind words.
Glad this write up got you the info you needed to go and buy a set.

These really are some great mufflers! The fit and finish is excellent and now my search for the " prefect Vette exhaust " is over.

Glad your enjoying the controller.

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
Thanks for the kind words.
Glad this write up got you the info you needed to go and buy a set.

These really are some great mufflers! The fit and finish is excellent and now my search for the " prefect Vette exhaust " is over.

Glad your enjoying the controller.

Ben
Excellent write up thanks. A couple questions. I had a Bi*** of a time finding an exhaust system on my C5 Z06 with high end fit and finish. alignment of the tips were a major issue never could get them straight. How does the fusions on the C6 compare with my C5 Z06 issues? Does anybody have a side by side weight comparison stock vs fusions?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 PM
vetteman24
Instructor

i have the mufflers and have to say they are the best out there! A true muscle car sound!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you detect ANY drone in the cabin?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Torched
Excellent write up thanks. A couple questions. I had a Bi*** of a time finding an exhaust system on my C5 Z06 with high end fit and finish. alignment of the tips were a major issue never could get them straight. How does the fusions on the C6 compare with my C5 Z06 issues? Does anybody have a side by side weight comparison stock vs fusions?
I didnt have access to a scale when I did the swap so I dont have an actual lbs difference. I could tell though that the Fusions are lighter than the stock z06 cans.

The tips were very easy to line up. In fact I got it on the first try without even using a straightedge. After it was all together, before I tightened the clamps I looked at it with the straightedge and it was dead on.

The B+B Mufflers are a Top notch product, thats for sure. The Fit and Finish is Excellent!

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Can you detect ANY drone in the cabin?
On my car with the valves closed there isnt any drone. With the valves open there is some drone on the freeway in the 1400-1800 rpm range.
I have my valves set to open after 2000 rpms so they are closed in the "drone zone". That way I get max open time and no drone.

My car is a stock LS2 with stock manifolds and cats.

I'm sure someone here with Headers and no cats on a z06 will pop in and let us nkow how they sound in that configuration.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vetteman24
i have the mufflers and have to say they are the best out there! A true muscle car sound!
These things Rock!

I'm very happy with them.

Ben
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the informative post. Great work.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
catchmes2000
Racer

This post on the b&b is awsome, i had did a lot of research for exhaust for my z06 and had contac B&B for some info... I had orderd my exhaust few week's ago and should be getting them tomorow... can't waight to see them for my self.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
On my car with the valves closed there isnt any drone. With the valves open there is some drone on the freeway in the 1400-1800 rpm range.
I have my valves set to open after 2000 rpms so they are closed in the "drone zone". That way I get max open time and no drone.

My car is a stock LS2 with stock manifolds and cats.

I'm sure someone here with Headers and no cats on a z06 will pop in and let us nkow how they sound in that configuration.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM
FEAR
Pro

how much do they cost?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video