Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MY Engine Seized ....!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 AM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow so much for that engine
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn good thing for still under warranty. can you imagine and out of warranty problem like this
Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

i am sorry that sucks . please let us know your fidings. i only have 1,500 miles on my 08 and this is the kind of stuff that makes me think wow i should really rebuild this motor with better parts while the car is hiding from the snow.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

OUCH. Definitely keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by stunna
i am sorry that sucks . please let us know your fidings. i only have 1,500 miles on my 08 and this is the kind of stuff that makes me think wow i should really rebuild this motor with better parts while the car is hiding from the snow.
Exactly what I did. I just moved from Chicago. In Feb 2007, with 800 miles on the Odometer, I shipped the car to Lingenfelter's, got the 630-HP package mod, and got the car back in the spring. They did the heated garage storage for me.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by fiveodude
Katech, care to chime in on your findings? Your shop seems to be knowledgeable about the rocker arm issue, is there a spring issue that you have seen?
Here is something I posted in another thread. Hopefully it answers your question.

Rocker arm failures have been few and far between, yet heavily exploited on the internet. I can tell you that we have never failed a production rocker arm on an LS7. We have tested hundreds of LS7s for GM, private, and our own and we have yet to see one fail. We have run professional race engines with production rocker arms through gruelling tests and not one problem. I'm also pretty sure that we have never had a production LS7 valve spring be the root cause of failure on a stock engine. Modified engines or racing applications I would recommend switching to an aftermarket single beehive spring, not a double. In the testing we have done, we have always found the single beehive spring to have better valvetrain dynamics than a double....

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech
Here is something I posted in another thread. Hopefully it answers your question.
there definitely IS a problem with the LS7 valve spring, at least I know of 10 people who replaced their engines due to valve-spring issue in Dubai alone.

When I replaced my valvesprings with double springs, I noticed that they were just coming apart as in the edges were cracked already.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by ayousef
there definitely IS a problem with the LS7 valve spring, at least I know of 10 people who replaced their engines due to valve-spring issue in Dubai alone.

When I replaced my valvesprings with double springs, I noticed that they were just coming apart as in the edges were cracked already.
Valve spring failures are usually caused by fatigue from an over-rev.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Valve spring failures are usually caused by fatigue from an over-rev.

you say overrev, but I thought the motor has an electronic limiter? Are you talking like a mechanical overrev where the user possibly downshifted 5-2 and the electronic limiter was outmatched? spring survives that episode.....but it's now weakened and then it lets go later at even daily driver type use level?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
you say overrev, but I thought the motor has an electronic limiter? Are you talking like a mechanical overrev where the user possibly downshifted 5-2 and the electronic limiter was outmatched? spring survives that episode.....but it's now weakened and then it lets go later at even daily driver type use level?
I'm talking about mechanical over-revs.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef

Is anyone in Dubai running a STOCK Z06?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by robvuk
Is anyone in Dubai running a STOCK Z06?
LOL. I don't think so.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it's easy to go ahead of ourselves, even though it certainly looks like a valve train issue... we won't know for sure until the OP reports back with the actual findings. It does however make me feel the need to replace my stock rockers and springs just for peace of mind.

Good luck and I hope it gets resolved with as little stress as possible.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm talking about mechanical over-revs.
ok, I see. Thats the problem on the net trying to analyze these "issues". I'm not sure I have a lot of sympathy if a user mechanically over-revved the car and then it later pops. I'm not sure how much "disclosure" we ever get on the forums. All I ever hear is "I was cruising down the highway under 3K and it let go...", but they forget to tell you about the blatant overrev 500 miles ago. and I'm not trying to single anyone out; for all I know, the owner could have bought the car used and we don't know the history OR even a one owner car could have had service done and some punk decided to test drive a 7.0 liter c6z while its in for service. So many things that can go wrong
Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Katech_Zach

ok, I see. Thats the problem on the net trying to analyze these "issues". I'm not sure I have a lot of sympathy if a user mechanically over-revved the car and then it later pops. I'm not sure how much "disclosure" we ever get on the forums. All I ever hear is "I was cruising down the highway under 3K and it let go...", but they forget to tell you about the blatant overrev 500 miles ago. and I'm not trying to single anyone out; for all I know, the owner could have bought the car used and we don't know the history OR even a one owner car could have had service done and some punk decided to test drive a 7.0 liter c6z while its in for service. So many things that can go wrong
You are absolutely right.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob07Z06LMB
Is this even possible with a dead motor??????
Yes it is. Just reflash it as normal and you might even think about replacing the stock thermostat just so there is no grief from the GM rep.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the sound like someone was banging the block with a hammer or like a exhaust leak? Most valve spring issues sound like a exhaust leak or a ticking sound. Rod knock sounds like you will never forget. Rod bearings hate anything close to the big D word because it increases the load by X times.

There is a rental Ford Sports racer shop about 30 miles south of the shop. They have a over rev light on the dash. If at any point you over rev it. Big $$$ They charge for a rebuild of the top end of the engine.
I have seen more **** poor down shifting and instruction on heel-toe.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com

Get notified of new replies

To MY Engine Seized ....!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Here is pictures of my 07 Z with 3500 miles on it. The wife was driving with my son in the car. Stoped at a stop sign, turned right and the car just shut off. No noise, nothing, just stoped. Here are some pictures of the damage. What you can't see in the one picture is a crack in the block.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

I will be the first to agree, that I was hard on my car. However GM still fixed my car under warranty even with the headers & Vararam intake on the car. They asked what mods it had, the tech told them, and they said "that's it?" and then said get it fixed.

I could agree that maybe the problem originally started not when the wife was driving the car, but more when I was racing it. I think if they know the motor can go past 7k rpms mechanically, they should put springs in to handle 7500. A better safety margin then a spring that can only handle exactly 7000 rpms.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
=TheStig=
Instructor

Now this thread has me paranoid! I was going to go to FC Kerbeck today to purchase a new Z06...now I am afraid to do so. I am really concerned about this engine....

Quick Reply: [Z06] MY Engine Seized ....!!!