Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nitto Invo's @ Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Invo's HPDE @ Willow Springs

First, let me say that I'm not a tire expert and this was my first track event. I have no comparisons to this tire other than my street impressions vs. the GY runflats which I've posted in the past. I love 'em on the street and on the track I was quite pleased to say the least.

When I arrived at Willow Springs @ 7:00 it was 31* and I don't think it got much warmer than 50*

My cold tire pressure was 35 lbs and the hot temps were 39lbs.

I elected to have a guest driver named Chris Kaufmann drive the first session to show me the track and the lines. In the past he has driven in the 24 hrs of Daytona, Trans Am series, Speed World Challenge and has several SCCA-AS National titles. He is an ex Bondurant Instructor and a current Barber Driving Experience instructor. He is also the PR/Motorsports Manager for Borla Industries.

After the first session we discussed the brakes, suspension and tires.

Brakes: He wasn't thrilled with the Hawk HP's.

Suspension: He felt the suspension and overall handling of the car was good, but suggested more shock stiffness in the front. I have the QA1's, they were set at 8 in the front and 10 in the rear. I bumped the fronts to 9. The Pfatty sways were at neutral and stayed there.

Tires: I asked him about the tires and he really didn't say anything about them, so I'll take that as a good.

My inexperienced impression of the tires is that they worked great for me. I didn't experience any sidewall flex issues that had me thinking I needed to slow down or were scrubbing and or causing a loss of speed. I felt extremely comfortable and in control on these tires, so much so, I didn't think about them at all. I was very impressed at the feedback they gave me, meaning that in the corners they didn't just go away if I was too hot in the corner, they would just slide a bit and then grab. In turns 3,4 and 5 I was surprised at how well they did when I thought I was going in too fast....they hung right in there.

Finally, I was more concerned with my brakes than the tires for sure. That was the only negative from the instructor. Anyway, I ordered DBA 4000 series rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence with these tires. I'll be going to Spring Mountain in Feb. feeling REAL good about these tires and I hope the DBA slotted rotors and new Hawk HPS's increase that secure feeling

UPDATE: I elected to go with a track only pad (Carbo Tech XP12 instead of the Hawk HPS's. Impressions after Spring Mountain this weekend. )

Last edited by stano; 02-04-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by stano
First, let me say that I'm not a tire expert and this was my first track event. I have no comparisons to this tire other than my street impressions vs. the GY runflats which I've posted in the past. I love 'em on the street and on the track I was quite pleased to say the least.

When I arrived at Willow Springs @ 7:00 it was 31* and I don't think it got much warmer than 50*

My cold tire pressure was 35 lbs and the hot temps were 39lbs.

I elected to have a guest driver named Chris Kaufmann drive the first session to show me the track and the lines. In the past he has driven in the 24 hrs of Daytona, Trans Am series, Speed World Challenge and has several SCCA-AS National titles. He is an ex Bondurant Instructor and a current Barber Driving Experience instructor. He is also the PR/Motorsports Manager for Borla Industries.

After the first session we discussed the brakes, suspension and tires.

Brakes: He wasn't thrilled with the Hawk HP's.

Suspension: He felt the suspension and overall handling of the car was good, but suggested more shock stiffness in the front. I have the QA1's, they were set at 8 in the front and 10 in the rear. I bumped the fronts to 9. The Pfatty sways were at neutral and stayed there.

Tires: I asked him about the tires and he really didn't say anything about them, so I'll take that as a good.

My inexperienced impression of the tires is that they worked great for me. I didn't experience any sidewall flex issues that had me thinking I needed to slow down or were scrubbing and or causing a loss of speed. I felt extremely comfortable and in control on these tires, so much so, I didn't think about them at all. I was very impressed at the feedback they gave me, meaning that in the corners they didn't just go away if I was too hot in the corner, they would just slide a bit and then grab. In turns 3,4 and 5 I was surprised at how well they did when I thought I was going in too fast....they hung right in there.

Finally, I was more concerned with my brakes than the tires for sure. That was the only negative from the instructor. Anyway, I ordered DBA 4000 series rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence with these tires. I'll be going to Spring Mountain in Feb. feeling REAL good about these tires and I hope the DBA slotted rotors and new Hawk HPS's increase that secure feeling

Great news!! Finally someone has tried these tires at the track. I believe it's telling that the instructor (with his experience) mentioned other things (brakes, shock settings) as limiting factors vice the tires. Speaks volumes for their abilities for occasional HPDE.

By the way, I use the DBA rotors and HP+ pads. The HP+ pad(lette)s work well at the track, but you sound like a train stopping on the way home (and it gets worse the cooler the brakes get) .

Thanks for being the guinea pig!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
Great news!! Finally someone has tried these tires at the track. I believe it's telling that the instructor (with his experience) mentioned other things (brakes, shock settings) as limiting factors vice the tires. Speaks volumes for their abilities for occasional HPDE.

By the way, I use the DBA rotors and HP+ pads. The HP+ pad(lette)s work well at the track, but you sound like a train stopping on the way home (and it gets worse the cooler the brakes get) .

Can one of you point me to the DBA rotors you are refering to .. Thanks!!! Oh ... and are these 2piece?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tirerack.com
Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Minkster

Sounds like I made a good decision going with the DBA's and hopefully the HPS's will perform well at the track. DBA likes 'em!

I too was surprised ( happily ) that there was no mention of the tires being a limiting factor. He was fast in the corners and 165 in the straightaway

oink oink
Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hawk pads

I'm not sure if I read it right, the instructor didn't like the hawk pads but your going with hawk pads for the next event?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Awesome news Stano thanks for posting...!! TWS here I come...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
Can one of you point me to the DBA rotors you are refering to .. Thanks!!! Oh ... and are these 2piece?
Nope, one peice, stock replacement.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by teking
Google DBA

DBA just came out with a 2-piece rotor ( 5000 series) for our cars @ $400+ a rotor

The DBA 4000 is a one piece same weight as stock direct replacement. TireRack told me they liked 'em over the Brembo replacements (not the BBK high end kits)

I got the rotors @ Autoanything.com The total w/Hawk HPS pads for the front were $464.86 shipped

Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the review, I was waiting for you to come back from WSIR. I was gonna order a set, but found out that there won't be anymore until May 2008. I doubt I can wait that long, time to research into other tires.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I'm not sure if I read it right, the instructor didn't like the hawk pads but your going with hawk pads for the next event?
The pads I have now are the Hawk HP Ceramics. I'm upgrading to the Hawk HPS's which DBA said were a great match for their rotors. They suggested the Ferrado's (sp?) as well.

Last edited by stano; 01-20-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hawk

thanks for clarifying, I'm leaning toward the HPS compound myself and your info helps I'm still not sure if they'll eat up the stock rotors
Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
thanks for clarifying, I'm leaning toward the HPS compound myself and your info helps I'm still not sure if they'll eat up the stock rotors
I was told they match well with the DBA's and were rotor friendly.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 PM
MAG STAR
Burning Brakes

I'm upgrading to the Hawk HPS's which DBA said were a great match for their rotors. They suggested the Ferrado's (sp?) as well.

Go with Hawk DTC-70 (front) and DTC-60 (rear) I wore out a set of HPS's at Pahramp in ONE day.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MAG STAR
I'm upgrading to the Hawk HPS's which DBA said were a great match for their rotors. They suggested the Ferrado's (sp?) as well.

Go with Hawk DTC-70 (front) and DTC-60 (rear) I wore out a set of HPS's at Pahramp in ONE day.

Thanks!

Stan

Last edited by stano; 01-20-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
RedGTS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks much for the track report. Now if Nitto would just spit some more of these puppies out.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Congrats on your first event

This is just the beginning and it can become very addicting..

If you want to impress or have a nice serious upgrade....

Hoosier R6 tires
Coil-overs
BBK

This would provide a major advantage and confidence for the track. Be careful when you mod. If you are going to do it, do it right. Save some money in the long run.

Anyway, if you are going to the Spring Mountain event in Feb, I will see you there and give you a ride with all the major track/engine goodies on.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto Invo's @ Willow Springs

Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hawk HPS suck! Use Hawk Hp+ or PFC-97 or PFC-01's

FYI the gm OEM Z06 pads are much better than hawk HPS!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 805Z06
Congrats on your first event

This is just the beginning and it can become very addicting..

If you want to impress or have a nice serious upgrade....

Hoosier R6 tires
Coil-overs
BBK

This would provide a major advantage and confidence for the track. Be careful when you mod. If you are going to do it, do it right. Save some money in the long run.

Anyway, if you are going to the Spring Mountain event in Feb, I will see you there and give you a ride with all the major track/engine goodies on.
Hey that's great!! I'll be sure to look you up. Nothing like seeing how different set-ups perform first hand

I'm already addicted.....
Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stano
Hey that's great!! I'll be sure to look you up. Nothing like seeing how different set-ups perform first hand

I'm already addicted.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Nitto Invo's @ Willow Springs