Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveodude
The pushrod motor has been around since the 50's, we should have rod, springs, and rocker arms figured out by now.
And we do. It is rather easy to build a 350 small block that is absolutely bulletproof. The 427 small block is pushing the envelope of technology, in order to get MAXIMUM power with MINIMUM weight. sodium filled titanium exhaust valves!!! etc. Actually it's possible to build the aluminum 427 absolutely bulletproof ... but at what cost? The general has done a DAMN good job.

I mean come on, your statement implies this is 1950's tech and there is no excuse for any failures. The number of engine failures has been amazingly small. (judging by the ones reported on this forum)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
By the way....10,500 miles and running EXTREMELY strong...
Just not in reverse . . .

(sorry, the devil made me say that) . . .
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Erix
Pro

Originally Posted by vertC6
It appears to be alot more than one motor from what I have read, it sounds like there could be some major issues with rod bearings, valves, and valve springs.
I hear what your saying, we definately aren't forgetting the various valvetrain problems. But with the rod knock thread, I think its conspicuous timing for all the LS7 chicken little threads to be popping up. That was the 'one' I was referring to.

I personally havent seen all these rod issues, but then again I havent been here as long. As far as an LS2, the milder the cam the less problem your going to have with a valvetrain. I would fully expect a cammier motor to pop valves more frequently.

But I recall one thread that crystalizes what many of these cases are I beleive. One gentlemen jumping on the LS7 bash wagon referred to his 'freend' who was on his 3rd LS7, the prior two having had the infamous sucked a valve syndrome. One guy....3 engines.

Not hard to see what the problem truly is in that last scenario.

The internet has always overplayed things. At 3 years into this car, we would know by now if there was a wholesale problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Speaking of LS7 chicken little threads, look how this one just posted in General starts out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=engine

Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 AM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Just not in reverse . . .

(sorry, the devil made me say that) . . .
hey now...we are talking about motors, not trannys!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 AM
GrillnZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine hard...I won't cry if it blows. I'll just drive something else until I get a fresh, free engine installed.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The LS7 is a POS, I'm glad I have my LS3 "

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ramsundaram

Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ramsundaram

Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveodude
I get a feeling some people here try to justify their 70k purchase that broke by saying "all cars have problems." I've been around high horsepower cars a long time and understand all of the nuances that come with them; but outright failure is a different issue all together. The pushrod motor has been around since the 50's, we should have rod, springs, and rocker arms figured out by now. It would be nice to know what the real MTBF for the Z is as it relates to the motor itself. I would also like to know the real number of Z06 owners on this board and how many have had total motor failure at < 20000 miles. If all Z owners (~12000?) visit this board then 15 total failures is a small percentage. If there are only 200 Z members on this board, then 15 failures is a very big deal at 7.5%.
This is exactly the point, and a very good one. As a "self-proclaimed" (quoting Code Black), and actual scientist (I'll spare you the details on my credentials), the point is that it is impossible to tell what the actual percentage is from reports on this forum. However, there is fairly compelling circumstantial evidence to strongly suggest it is likely a rather small percentage.

A failure rate approaching 10% (just pulling a number out of a hat) would logically precipitate a campaign by GM for the sake of cost effectiveness. Moreover, we know from the Wixom builders that their max capacity is about 8,000 hand-built LS7s annually, which is close to the number of cars manufactured. If the failure number were anywhere near 10%, they'd need to be building a whole bunch of extra engines.

By way of illustration, a popular CF theory is that the valve springs are weak and this is causing an inordinate number of failures. If that were actually the case, it would be far more cost effective for GM to replace all valve springs, than it would be for them to replace 10-15% of failed LS7s. At mininum, one would have to ask why the valve spring design has not been modified in later engines, if the failure rate were so high? Wouldn't that be a "cheap fix?"

In addition, we never know how many of these cars are modified, and we have no clue how these cars have been used. Various polls posted here within the last few months have suggested a very high self-reported percentage of tunes, headers, intakes, etc. from CF Z06 forum dwellers. That is likely not a good representation of the general population of Z06 owners, and this forum is, no doubt, heavily over-represented with "hardcore" performance types.

When you are in a situation with nothing more than anecdotal reports to go on, and you have multiple, unknown variables, it is impossible to draw any conclusions, but you can make some logical inferences.

We really have no clue how many Z06 owners visit here. In addition, many of the "15" (or whatever number it is) reported failures here are from people reporting, "I know a friend of a friend whose engine melted down," or "my dealer told me........" In short, there is virtually no reliable documentation on this issue.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-01-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not bad for a self-proclaimed scientist.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
This is exactly the point, and a very good one. As a "self-proclaimed" (quoting Code Black), and actual scientist (I'll spare you the details on my credentials), the point is that it is impossible to tell what the actual percentage is from reports on this forum. However, there is fairly compelling circumstantial evidence to strongly suggest it is likely a rather small percentage.

A failure rate approaching 10% (just pulling a number out of a hat) would logically precipitate a campaign by GM for the sake of cost effectiveness. Moreover, we know from the Wixom builders that their max capacity is about 8,000 hand-built LS7s annually, which is close to the number of cars manufactured. If the failure number were anywhere near 10%, they'd need to be building a whole bunch of extra engines.

By way of illustration, a popular CF theory is that the valve springs are weak and this is causing an inordinate number of failures. If that were actually the case, it would be far more cost effective for GM to replace all valve springs, than it would be for them to replace 10-15% of failed LS7s. At mininum, one would have to ask why the valve spring design has not been modified in later engines, if the failure rate were so high? Wouldn't that be a "cheap fix?"

In addition, we never know how many of these cars are modified, and we have no clue how these cars have been used. Various polls posted here within the last few months have suggested a very high self-reported percentage of tunes, headers, intakes, etc. from CF Z06 forum dwellers. That is likely not a good representation of the general population of Z06 owners, and this forum is, no doubt, heavily over-represented with "hardcore" performance types.

When you are in a situation with nothing more than anecdotal reports to go on, and you have multiple, unknown variables, it is impossible to draw any conclusions, but you can make some logical inferences.

We really have no clue how many Z06 owners visit here. In addition, many of the "15" (or whatever number it is) reported failures here are from people reporting, "I know a friend of a friend whose engine melted down," or "my dealer told me........" In short, there is virtually no reliable documentation on this issue.
Thanks for the time you put into that reply. You're 'very' right, it doesn't make financial sense for a company like GM to let an easy problem drain the budget; and that's how I look at it as well. I really hope the percentages are within the standard deviation and the rest are just outliers. The squeeky wheels always stand out and rush to the Internet message boards. This makes it sound like everyone is having a problem. Fifteen years ago we wouldn't have any way of knowing without access to GM's files.

I notice a lot of "rookies" buy these cars that have never been around high performance cars or understand them. They report "problems" that actually just come with the high horsepower/high performance territory. I feel they are comparing it to other 70k cars and expecting the same results instead of correctly comparing it to other cars that pull the same performance numbers. Have they seen the high maintenance issues of the Ferrai and Lambo and 3x+ the cost??? I've seen posts where people complain about having to replace tires at 10-15k miles. Obviously they don't understand what Z rated tires mean or know how to interpret the numbers on the tire itself that tell you this information. I've also heard rear end complaints when turning slowly. Obviously they don't understand how a rear-end that can handle this much HP works. Then there are the people that report "shaking" at idle. Once again, 15 years ago it took a lot of effort to get a 500hp out of a naturally aspirated small block, and it would have shook you to death. There is obviously no knowledge of what cam profiles, high flow heads, and high flow intakes do to idle conditions. You would also be very far from 25MPG. There are many more to list but we all know what they are..

Hopefully the negative image that some cast is just the result of being a popular message board that turns into the complaint destination.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Any statistician worth his P value would tell you that there is no scientific value to any conclusions made based on "data" presented on this forum.

I have posted my problem because there may be valuable lessons to be learned by everyone. I have throughly enjoyed my street and track driving and expect the motor issue to be resolved long before the warm weather returns.

The Z will be back on the track again!

Dean
Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Foosh ahoy . . .

Originally Posted by outnumbered
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not bad for a self-proclaimed scientist.
Indeed - I hereby proclaim Foosh a scientist, thereby elevating him from the status of being merely "self-proclaimed."
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

As a "self-proclaimed" (quoting Code Black), and actual scientist (I'll spare you the details on my credentials.
That sure kicks my degree in Automotive Technologies' ****..
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Indeed - I hereby proclaim Foosh a scientist, thereby elevating him from the status of being merely "self-proclaimed."
I second that motion...from now on Foosh should be know as Dr. Foosh.

Well, either that or he stayed a a Holiday Inn Express last night....
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

He is the real deal. That's the funny part.

Here's to ya Dr. Foosh

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Engine problems

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Kzof
Advanced

The sounds you are hearing are not chicken little the sky is falling, but are the sounds of your valvetrain, needle bearings falling into the oilpan, a miss in your cylinders, the roof hitting the pavemrnt when it flys off and the laughing of the GM salesman who just took us for 80,000. Is that scientific enough?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kzof
The sounds you are hearing are not chicken little the sky is falling, but are the sounds of your valvetrain, needle bearings falling into the oilpan, a miss in your cylinders, the roof hitting the pavemrnt when it flys off and the laughing of the GM salesman who just took us for 80,000. Is that scientific enough?
Did all of this happen to you? If so, please give the details and mileage of each failure for the scientific information gathering.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I had a slightly leaking transmission seal at about 11,000 miles which was replaced. My engine has been fine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Engine problems