Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 1/4 mile time with "tune" only

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
blitzu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 mile time with "tune" only

I went to GLD this morning to try and get one run in while they were having their bracket racing competition. I was able to get one run in. Temperature was about 72 degrees, and I set the rear tires at 25 PSI, and the fronts at 42 PSI. The car sat about 45 minuets before running it. Coolant temps were around 195 once I staged.

60'- 1.802
330- 4.975
1/8- 7.515
MPH- 97.58
1/4- 11.511
MPH- 123.00

I launched at 3200 RPMs, the track was really well prepped today. I powershifted the 3-4 shift too early, but other than that I pretty much nailed the other shifts pretty well.

I'm really happy with the 60' time with the stock tires. I didn't make a second run because I don't think I could repreat that

The car dyno'd 465 RWHP completely stock. Speed Inc. made a few tweaks and it redyno'd with 478 RWHP. Not an actual dyno tune, but some good adjustments.

This is the Camaro that was next to me that ran the 10.9, pretty cool guy, and he's fast! We were the only two guys there for test and tune... lol

Last edited by blitzu; 09-09-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice pass, blitzu. Congratulations.

Race day at Great Lake Dragway seems like a good place to find some traction. Perhaps other local C6Z owners will give it a try.

Ranger
Old 09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by Ranger
Very nice pass, blitzu. Congratulations.

Race day at Great Lake Dragway seems like a good place to find some traction. Perhaps other local C6Z owners will give it a try.

Ranger
Thanks Ranger!

Actually Great Lakes is notorious for bad traction. They RARELY prep the track on open test and tune nights. This is why I needed to go on a bracket racing day such as today. I live only 15 miles from the track, so this is why I go there. My best time before today was a 12.1 @120 with a 1.94 60'. Horrible! No traction, but today it was wonderful!

Probably the best track around is Byron, and I was two seconds awat from going there today, but I didn't want to drive nearly two hours to get there.

I hope to make it to the east coast one of these days, or even I heard Ohio has a few good tracks that prep well.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Good 60' for your first and only pass of the day.

Ohio tracks are very hit and miss for their track prep. We just went to a track rental at National Trails and the prep was horrible. We also go to Kil-Kare and Marion County and their prep isn't usually very good either. The best track I've been to for traction has been Norwalk, or as you stated some of the other tracks during bracket racing.

The problem is most of the tracks give you a hard time about running below 11.5's unless it's a track rental.

Jason
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
blitzu
Racer

I never got the chance to find out if they cared. The lady passing out the slips took a double take the the slip and my car... I don't know if she was getting ready to say something about possibly needing a cage.

Norwalk was hat I was thinking of going to. I hear nothing but good things from there. Being so close to GLD, I can't really complain if all I have to do is wait for a big-dog racing day to get an excellently prepped track.

I'll wait for the right day if it will always be like this. Thanks Jason for the track info!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
dgussin1
Racer

Both times I went to GLD I had unbelievable traction. I couldn't believe how well the track hooked, as I had never experienced anything like that back home in cali. If GLD is bad prep, I want to see what good prep is like. BTW, the times in my sig are from GLD.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Great 60' time, man. Are you hitting the rev limiter if you don't shift into 4th? I can make the runs using only 3 gears.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by dgussin1
Both times I went to GLD I had unbelievable traction. I couldn't believe how well the track hooked, as I had never experienced anything like that back home in cali. If GLD is bad prep, I want to see what good prep is like. BTW, the times in my sig are from GLD.
Hey Dave,

Did you ever go to GLD on a regular test and tune night?? Major difference. You won't see them spraying hardly anything on the track on those nights. My tires spun at every shift the other night, and with no pun intended running in the day there is you'll see a night and day difference
Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jorday
Great 60' time, man. Are you hitting the rev limiter if you don't shift into 4th? I can make the runs using only 3 gears.
I'd be right at the top of third if I stayed in the gear. I really short shifted the 3-4 shift on that run, sort of regretting it now. I'm still really happy with the 60 foot though.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzu
I'd be right at the top of third if I stayed in the gear. I really short shifted the 3-4 shift on that run, sort of regretting it now. I'm still really happy with the 60 foot though.
I'd be thrilled with that 60' too, you've got some skills to get your car to launch like that.

I was happy just to get into the mid 1.9s in my car. I kept making runs where I would cross the traps just hitting the rev limiter in 3rd. I remember a lot of the f body guys used to say that when it was that close you're often better off not to bother shifting even if you hit the limiter just before crossing the traps, but who knows if that's right.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jorday
I'd be thrilled with that 60' too, you've got some skills to get your car to launch like that.

I was happy just to get into the mid 1.9s in my car. I kept making runs where I would cross the traps just hitting the rev limiter in 3rd. I remember a lot of the f body guys used to say that when it was that close you're often better off not to bother shifting even if you hit the limiter just before crossing the traps, but who knows if that's right.

My best 60 foot before today (after 7 runs down the same track but on previous test and tune nights) was a 1.94. GLD normally sucks, but I knew that I went once during the day and remember getting awesome 60 foots because the track would hold anything you threw at it. I was amazed the one time I went, but it's really hard for me to get a weekend off, and one with decent weather.

Even though I am sick as a dog this weekend, I couldn't let the oppertunity go. I told myself I would only run once, no matter what, and having no clue what the track would respond to I decided to take Ranger's and everyone elses advice and not launch any higher than 3500 RPM. I sat at the line holding 3200, and once it went green I let off the clutch and gave it as much gas as I could hoping it would hold, and it did.

Same thing as before when I went during the day, very well prepped.
I had good luck with launches like this with the GTO, and it feels quite the same, so I continue to use the same techniques.... plus some of the good advice from CF members! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive 60 foot, and the whole run on stock tires!

Nice Job!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
dgussin1
Racer

Originally Posted by blitzu
Hey Dave,

Did you ever go to GLD on a regular test and tune night?? Major difference. You won't see them spraying hardly anything on the track on those nights. My tires spun at every shift the other night, and with no pun intended running in the day there is you'll see a night and day difference
I think on went on real street racing night...where people raced for money.

Come out on the 21st, a whole gang of us are gonna be there.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice times do you know by any chance what the DA was like when you ran??
Old 09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
I don't know how accurate this is but I used the calculator on Great lakes site and with the temperture and humidity, I think it came out to 2859. http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/co...onfactors.html

The temperature was 72 degrees, and the humidity was 50%
Great Lakes is at about 750 feet above sea level.
Maybe you could help me with that?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
dgussin1
Racer

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
the approximate DA was 1879 feet.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
dgussin1
Racer

based on your data (we would need pressure), but DA is even lower at 1703 feet.

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 mile time with "tune" only

Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
blitzu
Racer

I think on went on real street racing night...where people raced for money.

Come out on the 21st, a whole gang of us are gonna be there.
I think the clocks are off after 8 or 9 PM on those nights. I know it could be fun, but usually a lot of bs goes on, and racing is limited. Either way I couldn't go that night because I have to work that day until 8 and wouldn't be able to get up there till much later. My next weekend off is next month so maybe that Saturday or Sunday.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice pass!!

Ron
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the approximate DA was 1879 feet.
wow 123 trap speed at that DA, high 120's is possible if he was close to sea level

Quick Reply: [Z06] 1/4 mile time with "tune" only