Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Snow Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oicw
Cup tire have teacup shaped tread on them for greater bite on slippery surfaces

Kidding aside, I simply don't think you'll find decent snow tires in 325 sizes, nor would you want to! What you really need are pizza cutter tires. I'd go no wider than 245 when it comes to snow tires.

Hate to repeat what everyone has said already, don't drive the Z06 in the snow!!! Hell, up here we don't have snow and I'm still not driving it in winter. I have Cup tires and I'll tell ya, when the temp drops and it starts raining, it gets downright scary.
Read what I wrote when I resurrected the thread. No snow, no sleet, now ice, nada. In Virginia we only have unavoidable frozen precip on the ground about a month out of the year. It won't get driven then. I'm just looking for the best compound to get cold weather traction.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Aseipos, Did you get a separate set of wheels for your Blizzaks?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

this is a bad idea, not that im worried about getting snow on my car....its just plain dangerous...period. put it away and get a winter car, simple.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This girl isn't afraid of a little snow.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny that people don't listen and still comment what a bad idea it is to drive a vette in the snow. NO snow. NO sleet. No slush. NO freezing rain. I'm just looking for the best compound for cold weather.

I have a winter car. Cayenne TTS.

Oh well. Tire rack will be open tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

You might have to get some different size wheels in order to get tires. I would also look into Nokian tires - They might make a size like the blizzaks.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
pomppe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ar-on-ice.html
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

rimof hell ill buy you a shitbox for the winter do not drive the z06!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

just because its winter time, it doesnt mean there is a foot of snow on the road. That being said, one must apply common sense.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VicCaerter
just because its winter time, it doesnt mean there is a foot of snow on the road. That being said, one must apply common sense.
Wintertime in Virginia means there's never a foot of snow on the roads. A month out of the year, most two, there might be either some snow on the roads or patches of frozen precip. Will stay garaged such days. I resurrected a thread from a guy with a Z06 but said I was driving a C6, and on dry pavement once we're freezing, and hardly anyone reads for content It's all good. Got some decent information and I appreciate the responses from those who actually read what I wrote. I do expect to need different wheels, unless the best answer is the Michelin Pilot Sports in which case I'd just use them year round. I'll get with Tirerack tomorrow and see about a winter set of wheels/tires.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
Wintertime in Virginia means there's never a foot of snow on the roads. A month out of the year, most two, there might be either some snow on the roads or patches of frozen precip. Will stay garaged such days. I resurrected a thread from a guy with a Z06 but said I was driving a C6, and on dry pavement once we're freezing, and hardly anyone reads for content It's all good. Got some decent information and I appreciate the responses from those who actually read what I wrote. I do expect to need different wheels, unless the best answer is the Michelin Pilot Sports in which case I'd just use them year round. I'll get with Tirerack tomorrow and see about a winter set of wheels/tires.
sorry man if i/we jumped to conclusions of your post. i guess we just assumed you were to be driving in the snow. i see now the info you got has helped and im glad.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
oicw
Racer

Read what I wrote when I resurrected the thread. No snow, no sleet, now ice, nada. In Virginia we only have unavoidable frozen precip on the ground about a month out of the year. It won't get driven then. I'm just looking for the best compound to get cold weather traction.
Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find anywhere (in your original post) about no snow.

But if you must drive a Z06 in freezing conditions, frequently, get narrow wheels and put on some all seasons / snow tires. I stand by what I said - in cold weather my tires are downright scary, even more so if it's wet. Can't imagine freezing conditions.

Anything you can get in stock size, while a bit better than cup tires, will still be scary.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Resurrecting this thread. What's the best winter rubber for a C6 Grand Sport?
Originally Posted by erikszr1
sorry man if i/we jumped to conclusions of your post. i guess we just assumed you were to be driving in the snow. i see now the info you got has helped and im glad.
Originally Posted by oicw
Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find anywhere (in your original post) about no snow.

But if you must drive a Z06 in freezing conditions, frequently, get narrow wheels and put on some all seasons / snow tires. I stand by what I said - in cold weather my tires are downright scary, even more so if it's wet. Can't imagine freezing conditions.

Anything you can get in stock size, while a bit better than cup tires, will still be scary.
I really wasn't as clear as I could have been. Sorry. I resurrected someone else's thread and asked about best cold weather compound, but I could have explicitly stated no snow, ice, sleet, etc immediately rather than after a bunch of responses. I actually thought I did sooner in the thread than I actually did, so apologies. I think people assuming I'd drive a corvette in snow or would even consider such a thing made me a little defensive. I can't imagine a more foolish move. I've driven other sports cars all winter or at least when they wouldn't get covered with road grime and on summer tires with no problem. In those cases though, a second set of rims and tires was prohibitively expensive. As long as you're not trying to have fun in the winter and just using the car as transportation, on dry streets, not a problem. But with the corvette, prices are low enough that dedicated winter tires/wheels makes sense. My previous cars I'd just take out for exercise here and there in the winter. But I want the vette to share DD responsibilities with the Cayenne.

Just reiterating, the Z06 was the OP's car. Mine is a C6 Grand Sport, though it is supercharged. But with a slushbox and the timing retarded it drives very tame at low rpm, doesn't really drive any differently than an unmodified C6 unless you dig into the pedal a little. I am indeed looking for more narrow wheels. I've got a guy at Tire Rack supposedly working on it but he hasn't gotten back to me.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
cashs_mom
Instructor

I'm just glad I live where it doesn't snow.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
I'm just glad I live where it doesn't snow.
I wish I didn't. The older I get, the less tolerant to cold. That, and I can't stand not being able to golf. I've been too busy this year to get much in anyway, but it sucks to have to bundle up to go out. My wife and I talk about relocating to Austin someday.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 PM
PLP
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 in the winter... hells yeah what a gas!!

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
Driving a Z with snow tires in the winter?

with real good driving common sense, a Z51 can be fun in the winter. Of course ground clearance is the biggest factor, then it's tires. I run Michelin all season that aren't run flats. I heard tales of Nokian gearing up to make a Hakkepellita for the Z51.
Remember dry roads happen in even big snow country so no need the put away the Ray!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Anyone who would drive this car in the snow, has no respect for cars.

Seriously, get a winter driver and save yourself the hassle.

Get notified of new replies

To Snow Tires?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:19 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I would tend to agree, but think about the money that could be made if you installed a plow and salt spreader along with the snow tires.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:23 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by PLP
with real good driving common sense, a Z51 can be fun in the winter. Of course ground clearance is the biggest factor, then it's tires. I run Michelin all season that aren't run flats. I heard tales of Nokian gearing up to make a Hakkepellita for the Z51.
Remember dry roads happen in even big snow country so no need the put away the Ray!
Cold tires on salt dusted roads is a recipe for a bad accident in a Z06. I would bet my house on it.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Excellent topic for today's How-To article...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...cations-368776

Quick Reply: [Z06] Snow Tires?