Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Easy removal of MAF plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy removal of MAF plug

I have seen posts of some guys having a hard time getting the MAF plug off.
The MAF (mass air flow) plug that is on the driver side of the air filter box can be dificult to remove unless you find out just where to squeeze the release clip.

1.) First pull back the little gray retainer locking clip with a small screw driver.
Be carefull not to pull it all the way off , it should stay clipped to the plug.

2.) this shows where you have to put your finger tip underneath the plug.

3.) then squeeze the release clip as you pull the plug off, it should slide right off with no resistance once the release clip is squeezed.

4.)this shows the plug removed and upside down so you can see where your finger tip has to push on the release clip.
When you get the plug off turn it upside down and take a close look at the release clip and you can see how it holds the plug in place and how you have to depress the clip so it comes off.

5.To replace just push it back on till it snaps on then push back in the little gray locking clip.

6.) When you have the air filter box off it is a good idea to take the rubber pads out of the air intake box. Otherwise they can come loose and get sucked down the intake.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 04-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bjmsam (06-17-2018)
Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I keep thinking there must have been a better way for GM to design the location of the pads, were they in the air box on the C5 ?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 AM
stingray427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that little grey clip isn't essential. Mine disintegrated in my fingers when I removed it. Pretty fragile.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Zack
Instructor

Default Thanks Maxx

Maxx thank you, that made my day. Good info.

Zack
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 AM
kelp
Drifting

Great write up.

Say, I thought those hydrocarbon things were rodent traps if they crawled into the intake!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM
flatout vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the pictures. Iam going to save them for when i change the filter.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the pics for sure!

Two questions though:
If you take the hydrocarbon pads off as you suggest, whats to absorb the oil that has deteriorated the adhesive. Granted, it seems like a poor design, but I'm reluctant to remove them unless i can replace with something else that serves the intended purpose....other thoughts/comments?
Any pictures of the adjustment to the rubber PCV line to make it fit correctly.
"Cut 1 3/8" out of the PCV line. Plug each end into a 2 ¾" piece of 3/8" i.d. rubber hose until the two cut ends meet. Put the line back in."
I don't have the KB yet, but I don't fully understand the instructions...the 2 3/4 piece your adding back in....what do you use to splice it in? Is there yet another revision that makes yet a better fix? I didn't see anything on Jim's web site....did I miss it? Doesn't appear the install video was updated?
Your thoughts/comment would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE

Two questions though:
If you take the hydrocarbon pads off as you suggest, whats to absorb the oil that has deteriorated the adhesive. Granted, it seems like a poor design, but I'm reluctant to remove them unless i can replace with something else that serves the intended purpose....other thoughts/comments?
"Cut 1 3/8" out of the PCV line. Plug each end into a 2 ¾" piece of 3/8" i.d. rubber hose until the two cut ends meet. Put the line back in."
I don't have the KB yet, but I don't fully understand the instructions...the 2 3/4 piece your adding back in....what do you use to splice it in? Is there yet another revision that makes yet a better fix? I didn't see anything on Jim's web site....did I miss it? Doesn't appear the install video was updated?
I don't have the KB yet either, so can't address that part of your question, but as for the first part, those pads are not there to absorb oil in the first place. They are intended to absorb hydrocarbon gasses from the engine after it is shut down. That's supposed to help keep our air cleaner. When the engine burps oil due to overfill or whatever, it loosens the the pads and also probably destroys their ability to perform their intended function when they are oil-soaked.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 AM
kelp
Drifting

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE

Two questions though:
Aside from the rodent application, the H/C pads are for PCV gas absorbtion. However agressive cornering causes oil to be sucked out to there, so a catch can is needed. Overall, the hazards of keeping them outweigh pollution considerations. Unless you consider the waste associated with engine repair a pollution problem.

The PCV system routing, as with most EPA required applications, has considerable problems, topic addressed in other threads.

It appears the PCV hose is just repositioning for appearance, not function.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
I have seen posts of some guys having a hard time getting the MAF plug off.
The MAF (mass air flow) plug that is on the driver side of the air filter box can be dificult to remove unless you find out just where to squeeze the release clip.
[/IMG]
Maxx,

Great write-up, just what I was looking for to take the grey retainer off.

Thanks,
augydog
Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

This post and pics were a great supplement to Jim's video!

Thanks very much Maxx!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
joshua.lyon
3rd Gear

I know I'm digging this one up from the dead, but I just found the thread after searching through Google looking for a walkthrough just like this and it was really helpful. I just cleaned out the MAF sensor on my '07 Z06 with electronics cleaner spray while cleaning out my throttle body.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua.lyon
I know I'm digging this one up from the dead, but I just found the thread after searching through Google looking for a walkthrough just like this and it was really helpful. I just cleaned out the MAF sensor on my '07 Z06 with electronics cleaner spray while cleaning out my throttle body.
Wow, just short of 5 years.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by joshua.lyon
I know I'm digging this one up from the dead,
.....then please don't resurrect it.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy removal of MAF plug

Quick Reply: [Z06] Easy removal of MAF plug