Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 9th out of 10 per MotorTrend Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM
ThrottleJunkieM3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lotus should be above the Cayman, if not at the top. Mazda doesnt belong in that test.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Rhino68
Racer

It seems to me that the test was conducted to make the owners of sh1tbox ricers happy with their purchases. However, to be fair, the new Z06 does have some handling issues. The steering is vague, the frame is not as rigid as it could be and the tires are not up to par. A Viper has a more rigid frame and handles more predictably at the edge, as a result. The Porsche Cayman has much better steering feel and response. The Lotus is so damn lightweight. I expect the Z's handling to improve in the years ahead but I feel that this evaluation was quite a bit biased and had a questionable agenda.

Last edited by Rhino68; 05-01-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

I'm afraid to say that evo magazine only rated my LPE Z06 9th out of 16 performance cars in their new "road and track car of the year" issue.

1) 997 GT3 RS (it really is a fantastic car, and I don't normally like 911s)
2) Caterham R400 (track car, yes. Road car? No way, and I used to own a Caterham!)
3) Hi Tech (Superformance) GT40 (exquisite replica, didn't get to drive it so can't comment)
4) Lotus Exige S (great track car, a bit lacking in poke for the road)
5)= Caterham Roadsport (less powerful version of 2)
5)= Aston V8 Vantage N24 (full blown race car, was not highly rated on the road)
7) Morgan Aero 8 (really didn't like this car, horrible noise and no lsd)
8) Ariel Atom 300 (absolutely insane. Fastest car I have ever driven. Suicidal on the road)
9) Lingenfelter Z06
10) Subaru Impreza RB320
11) Nissan 350Z GT-S (supercharged)
12) Aston V8 Roadster
13) Renault Megan R26
14) BMW M Coupe
15) Westfield 1600
16) Seat Leon Cupra

Now, the evo boys can ALL drive (all the road testers have raced quite successfully) so it is hard to argue with their collective wisdom.

The best quote about my car was from Richard Meaden who did the lap times at Cadwell Park race circuit, the tightest and twistiest in the UK: "The Z06 is one of the few cars I've driven that feels too fast everywhere!"

However he did also say: "The way this thing builds speed is literally breathtaking. Any car that can beat a wrung-out 911 RS by 10mph at the end of Park Straight, despite exiting Charlies with less speed, is extraordinary. When David fits his promised suspension upgrade and track-biased tyres, this Z06 will take some beating."

That's why I am almost as excited about getting my Penske triple-adjustable coilovers (eh, Gary H? ) 18in race wheels and Toyo R888s as I was about getting the LPE kit fitted.

Bring on the final evo test when I have the hp up to around 600 and the suspension, wheels and tyres sorted...
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Not saying I totally agree with the MT article, but I do have to chuckle. For this reason - Any time there is a glowing article about the Z06 you boys 1.) post it 2.) brag about it 3.) talk about how you 'agree' with the article 4.) and put down other cars that finished lower. You either buy into what the rags say, or you don't. Make up your mind....
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

It's not a question of "buying into" what they write and report.
Rather - it's a discussion about the testing techniques they used to arrive at their rankings.
There was a subjective factor which was at play in this test that resulted in the Z06 placing next to last.
It is this, along with some other issues such as tires, which are at play in the MotorTrend article.

To answer your response - you are dead on correct.
ANY and ALL articles which show the superior powers of the Z06 will be welcome and admired on the Z06 section of the corvetteforum.
Perhaps you should see if you can try out for the game show which determines if you are smarter then a 5th grader.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Not saying I totally agree with the MT article, but I do have to chuckle. For this reason - Any time there is a glowing article about the Z06 you boys 1.) post it 2.) brag about it 3.) talk about how you 'agree' with the article 4.) and put down other cars that finished lower. You either buy into what the rags say, or you don't. Make up your mind....
Sounds to me like the rags need to make up their mind.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Fast
I think if any of the test drivers had time in a real race car, they would not have that pucker factor built into their review of the Z06.
Most race cars are much less forgiving and therefor feel more on the edge. The Z06 leans towards this type of handling. Not to say it is a race car, but a little less forgiving than others on the list. This less forgiving setup is what gives it a better overall performance. It the test drivers knew how to extract the performance and were more comfortable at the extreme edge of performance, they would love the car. I know I do

They had the same test driver test all the cars, and he was more than well established in racing and testing. There is an issue with horsepower overcoming traction, and weight is always the enemy. I love my C6, but my former Elise was a better "handling" car. Just not civilized to use every day, but certainly a better "handling car". I haven't driven the Z06, but I did own an SRT-10 with 505 hp, and now a C6 with 400/400, and I took the Skip Barber course in the Vipers, but consider myself to be less than a race car qualified driver. Given the limitations of almost all of us, the move toward greater and greater torque and horsepower is not a move toward better handling. Lightness, quickness of steering, compliant but resiliant chassis (just try an Elise or Exige one time over potholes, and then try the same course in a Vette-- the times are about the same, but Colin Chapman's cars are more steady, and don't bump steer as much, in my opinion). I think we should keep making the Vettes lighter and lighter, and work on chassis and suspension. We've long since gone past any usable hp/torque unless you spend time on the drag strip.

Last edited by 07 Lemans Z51 Coupe; 05-01-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Onerareviper

Yes, that's true. However, as a Viper owner, do you wonder why the Viper was not included at all? Could it be that even the Civic handles better than a Viper? Discuss.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Yes, that's true. However, as a Viper owner, do you wonder why the Viper was not included at all? Could it be that even the Civic handles better than a Viper? Discuss.
Maybe you are onto something......

Viper 11th out of 11
Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVAVETTE
It's not a question of "buying into" what they write and report.
Rather - it's a discussion about the testing techniques they used to arrive at their rankings.
There was a subjective factor which was at play in this test that resulted in the Z06 placing next to last.
It is this, along with some other issues such as tires, which are at play in the MotorTrend article.

To answer your response - you are dead on correct.
ANY and ALL articles which show the superior powers of the Z06 will be welcome and admired on the Z06 section of the corvetteforum.
Perhaps you should see if you can try out for the game show which determines if you are smarter then a 5th grader.
You've just fed into his belief system.

And, he's right.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

And in business related issue Primedia, owners of motor trend announced their largest advertisers ranked by spending...

1) Porsche
2) Porsche
3) Lotus
4) Mitsubishi
5) Mini
6) BMW
7) Honda
8) Mazda
9) Chevrolet
10) Honda
Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by raj
So I took the liberty of actually rating the top five cars based solely on their ranks in the six objective categories and here are the results of that comparison:

Lo and Behold! The Z06 ties for third overall with the Lotus Exige!
I can't read the matrix of the results you came up with, but I ran the numbers and came up with the Vette tired for 4th with the Exige. Maybe it's an error in my math?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

I too question the MT results. I do feel, however, that the handling does have issues which may well be tire related. I find that the back end will step out when pushed in a turn. While it is not a fair comparision, I will take a winding road at much higher speed and sense of confidence in my 360 Stradale then the Vette. I suspect that super sticky tires on the Ferrari are a big contributer to this as well as suspension and chassis issues. Frankly, I found my C5 Z06 more comfortable to toss around than my C6 Z06. Perhaps it's my own learning curve but I suspect that the Z has "more power than chassis refinement" when the road is not super smooth.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 PM
American Power
Pro

What rubish!
The Cayman is garbage.
I don't just pass them on the track I lap them.
Lotus WHAT! Nice little track car for girls, but c'mon..

Maybe these editors from this rag should come down to the track when some of us are there.

My LPE Z, Embarasses all of the aformentioned cars on the track with stock run craps

Bring it on!

American Power.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

I don't know if it is a correct assumption or not, but I don't think Porsche guys care as much what the mags say. I was on Rennlist and I couldn't find a single thread or comment about the rankings where the GT3 did very well in the GT3 forum.

The perceived lack of respect is a big deal for Z owners.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I don't know if it is a correct assumption or not, but I don't think Porsche guys care as much what the mags say. I was on Rennlist and I couldn't find a single thread or comment about the rankings where the GT3 did very well in the GT3 forum.

I was going to post the same thing, no one on the main Porsche forums (Rennlist and 6speedonline) has even mentioned this article, nor this thread...
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3

???
Show them the GT3 in a ranking with their car almost last! Show them the GT3 'beaten' by a Mazda

The Porsche crowd got very upset on this one (you posted there as well so you know it):
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=304914

"Z06 pisses on the Porsche", from the article.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...round-a-track/

I have no problem with Z06 loosing a correct test/comparison.
But I cannot stand fabricated results and nonsense premises like in this MT crap.
The mouse has better handling than the cat!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 9th out of 10 per MotorTrend Test

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
???
Show them the GT3 in a ranking with their car almost last! Show them the GT3 'beaten' by a Mazda

The Porsche crowd got very upset on this one (you posted there as well so you know it):
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=304914

"Z06 pisses on the Porsche", from the article.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...round-a-track/

I have no problem with Z06 loosing a correct test/comparison.
But I cannot stand fabricated results and nonsense premises like in this MT crap.
The mouse has better handling than the cat!
Point taken.

It still seems like the Corvette crowd has more energy on being king of hill. The proportion of input on this forum from people that feel slighted seems higher than rennlist. I didn't take the time to do an analysis.

I still think the M/T test had some valid points about the Z handling. That said, a comparison to low power front drivers pretty much pitches any credibility IMO. As well, as much as I like the 911's any viable handling comparison should include some of it's handling quirks.

In the end, it's another test with so many holes that it's hard to get very worked up about it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
But I cannot stand fabricated results and nonsense premises...
What results were fabricated?

Angelelli provides his assessments on each car...are you saying that this constitutes "nonsense premises" by MT?

Last edited by Notch; 05-01-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Bill Goswick
Heel & Toe

Default MT + BS writing = profits

Well-stated. The Z-06 is somewhat like a liter sport bike (which I also own) - not for the faint of heart or the foolhardy. Talk about unforgiving handling - I have driven an S-2000 and that thing had a nasty habit of instantly going into what I call "snap-oversteer" with no warning when pushed in a corner - some great handler that was.

MT has been going to the dogs for quite a while now. Their editorials are pathetic and their comparison tests are a joke. I won't be renewing my subscription.

Originally Posted by Z Fast
I think if any of the test drivers had time in a real race car, they would not have that pucker factor built into their review of the Z06.
Most race cars are much less forgiving and therefor feel more on the edge. The Z06 leans towards this type of handling. Not to say it is a race car, but a little less forgiving than others on the list. This less forgiving setup is what gives it a better overall performance. It the test drivers knew how to extract the performance and were more comfortable at the extreme edge of performance, they would love the car. I know I do

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 9th out of 10 per MotorTrend Test