Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Forum Question: Accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I think I remember reading about a C6 Z06 owner that had a similar problem. It happened more than once, but he was lucky enough not to hit anything. It was eventually fixed by Chevrolet. It had something to due with ABS/AH/TC locking one wheel for no apparent reason. Wiring problem?

I think I might have read about this on the other Corvette forum, but cannot say for sure. Use the search function and you should be able to find it. Good luck.

Found it:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...&highlight=abs

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that is one of the posts I had read about the "rogue" computer issue. I've seen a couple others but haven't been able to find them.

Good luck ICU and and sorry to read of your accident.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bernrex
Can you tell us more about those two occasions.

Also ... will HP Tuner 'completely' remove A/H, T/C, and T.M.
I'd guess the T.M. can be totally abolished ... but, what % of A/H and T/C will it disarm / overwrite?

Nice mods you have done ..
Thanks. Saddens me to hear of the accident. Heard of similar before, and motivated me to program the VCU.

1. To completely remove T/C you just disable it, in the ETC and Limit Spark sections.
2. The T/M is set to about 6600 ft/lbs for each axle, driveshaft, etc, before it kicks in. So it is on but never us used.
3. I also forgot to add the powerhop was D/C in fuel cut and spark and master switch sections.
4. I also tried to D/C the antilock brakes several ways - the only result that was a bad result. Even though the brake cycle is low, it does work. It is integrated with the power steering in a complex mechanism. I wish there was a way to increase the antilock frequency like the M5s is. I could go deeper into the braking zones at the track. It is too low.
5. The A/H lights up on the dash, but it does not seem to bog down whatsoever as it used to. I think the other stuff defeated it.

The result was the car was more predictable, stable, controllable, I also don't have any of the wheel hop like I used to before the suspension mods, T-1. I also got to know my car better.

Last edited by kelp; 03-15-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelp
Thanks. Saddens me to hear of the accident. Heard of similar before, and motivated me to program the VCU.

1. To completely remove T/C you just disable it, in the ETC and Limit Spark sections.
2. The T/M is set to about 6600 ft/lbs for each axle, driveshaft, etc, before it kicks in. So it is on but never us used.
3. I also forgot to add the powerhop was D/C in fuel cut and spark and master switch sections.
4. I also tried to D/C the antilock brakes several ways - the only result that was a bad result. Even though the brake cycle is low, it does work. It is integrated with the power steering in a complex mechanism. I wish there was a way to increase the antilock frequency like the M5s is. I could go deeper into the braking zones at the track. It is too low.
5. The A/H lights up on the dash, but it does not seem to bog down whatsoever as it used to. I think the other stuff defeated it.

The result was the car was more predictable, stable, controllable, I also don't have any of the wheel hop like I used to before the suspension mods, T-1. I also got to know my car better.
KELP ...

Interesting stuff you are doing ... to take back control from the Brain.

I generally favor AntiLock Brakes ... although there are times I'd like to able to turn it off completely. Wish GM had a button on console that would allow it to be disabled ... but, if it is 'siamesed' to the power steering, its not an option.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 AM
12oh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Active Handling Gremlins!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by GForceSS
imagine if you were stretching out the car's legs at 150mph
Think for a split second your going to spinout of control and lose your life........very scary!
Well it happened to me once cruising at half throttle in my c6. For no apparant reason the car started to wiggle and swerve into the next lane driving in a straight line for a mile or so(active handling showing on dic).Lucky for me i regained control. active handing coming on going in a straight line?-what a joke. Everyime i get behind the wheel of this car tc/ah get turned off. i live in vegas and know all about "the hill", you gonna tell me the roads on the 215 are bad between sahara & charleston/ trop & russell? they are what maybe 2 years old? i'm on my 4th modded vette in 7 years and have owned/raced many modded f-bodys/mustangs-so dont tell me i should drive to Baker for driving school. totally agree with the story of icu812. remember when your crusing vette at speed, that these storys are made up and we all can't drive. good luck and drive safely!

Last edited by 12oh; 03-21-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Has this issue been seen in the base C6 as well or does it seem to be exclusive to the Z06?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
JHL81
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
The safety mandate/regulation discussion is directly relevant to the thread topic because I can see a time in the near-future, when all these aids will be mandatory, and there won't be a way to turn them off. That is already the case some vehicles.

Many European vehicles have their top speeds electronically-governed. Consider yourselves lucky for the time being.

At the moment this is only by agreement between some of the Euro manufacturers, BMW, Mercedes, Audi and possibly some top end Jaguars but for example Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari etc don't have speed limiters on their products and if you have a Beemer or a Merc it is not illegal to have it overidden but as you say it can't be far away and there are already some cars on the market where these system can't be fully disabled without some serious fiddling about with the ECU.

J.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 AM
ScalaRRthu
Instructor

Originally Posted by kawal
Because there was no feedback from the other driver, we were even wondering whether the incident was factual.

It seems it would still be a simple matter to get some codes to help diagnose the problem. The driver could still choose whether or not to pursue a corrective course of action with GM.
I happen to be a friend of ICU812, and know that this was quite unfortunate. I can not see how this accident was caused by the driver. He is a very experienced and smart driver. In my opinion, he is an old man (no offense to anybody over 50), and drives like one...although he is not afraid to get on it, and race someone if need be. I have never been scared to be in a car with him driving, in either his Z or his truck, and I am not afraid to go for a ride with him in his new '07 Z.

He has taken me for a number of rides in his car, and everytime he would get on it (never in traffic or with other cars around), and the car get bent out of shape, he had no problem controlling it.

So I can assure you this incident was very real, and while I was down at the dealership today I walked back to the bodyshop to check on it, where they are working hard to get it back together.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ScalaRRthu
I happen to be a friend of ICU812, and know that this was quite unfortunate. I can not see how this accident was caused by the driver. He is a very experienced and smart driver. In my opinion, he is an old man (no offense to anybody over 50), and drives like one...although he is not afraid to get on it, and race someone if need be. I have never been scared to be in a car with him driving, in either his Z or his truck, and I am not afraid to go for a ride with him in his new '07 Z.

He has taken me for a number of rides in his car, and everytime he would get on it (never in traffic or with other cars around), and the car get bent out of shape, he had no problem controlling it.

So I can assure you this incident was very real, and while I was down at the dealership today I walked back to the bodyshop to check on it, where they are working hard to get it back together.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"In a move that could ultimately save up to 10,000 lives each year on U.S. roadways, the nation's top transportation official today announced plans to make new crash prevention technology standard equipment on every new passenger vehicle sold in America by 2012.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters and National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Nicole R. Nason announced the final rule to require the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) on all new passenger vehicles during a tour with auto makers at the New York International Auto Show today. ESC uses automatic computer controlled braking to keep drivers from losing control on slippery roads or in emergency maneuvers, in many cases preventing deadly rollovers from occurring."
Old 04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
"In a move that could ultimately save up to 10,000 lives each year on U.S. roadways, the nation's top transportation official today announced plans to make new crash prevention technology standard equipment on every new passenger vehicle sold in America by 2012.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters and National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Nicole R. Nason announced the final rule to require the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) on all new passenger vehicles during a tour with auto makers at the New York International Auto Show today. ESC uses automatic computer controlled braking to keep drivers from losing control on slippery roads or in emergency maneuvers, in many cases preventing deadly rollovers from occurring."
Just saw this exact thing on the evening news............and this thread was the first thing I thought of as well............
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Let me be the first to say, that I predicted it would be a Federal mandate very soon, right here on this very forum. And, although it is not completely clear today, I don't think you will be able to turn it off either.

I got killed for saying it at the time, but there it is. The truth is, it does save lives, injury, and property, and the scientific data are very compelling.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 PM
fxquest
Heel & Toe

i just probably totaled my z of no fault of my own. 55 years old and have only had two wrecks ever, both my fault but this; this car went nuts on me and while i am driving strait the car pitches completely sideways and rams a truck left of me while my steering wheel is strait. in shock i am slow to correct because my steering didn't get me where i am at so finally i corrected and side slapped the truck. still out of control i then head strait for guardrail and concrete wall which i scrapped a couple of hundred feet down to a stop.

when all done dash says i might need to service active control well no $hit! my neck is all messed up and i am 100% sure this is a defect caused wreck. i am waiting to see what they come up with since every body panel is messed up. i did a search here and foung this thread and just thought i would add my experience. my car was a 06 z with 8k miles on it. btw the 4 vette i have owned since 05 and 3 were z's and no i wasn't drinking or on meds etc. lol

mark
Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by fxquest
i just probably totaled my z of no fault of my own. 55 years old and have only had two wrecks ever, both my fault but this; this car went nuts on me and while i am driving strait the car pitches completely sideways and rams a truck left of me while my steering wheel is strait. in shock i am slow to correct because my steering didn't get me where i am at so finally i corrected and side slapped the truck. still out of control i then head strait for guardrail and concrete wall which i scrapped a couple of hundred feet down to a stop.

when all done dash says i might need to service active control well no $hit! my neck is all messed up and i am 100% sure this is a defect caused wreck. i am waiting to see what they come up with since every body panel is messed up. i did a search here and foung this thread and just thought i would add my experience. my car was a 06 z with 8k miles on it. btw the 4 vette i have owned since 05 and 3 were z's and no i wasn't drinking or on meds etc. lol

mark
Have the insurance investigators access the black box. It'll show speed, steering angles, braking, etc. a few seconds before the accident. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
lemans
Pro

This thread is from 2007
Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by lemans
This thread is from 2007
indeed

Quick Reply: [Z06] Forum Question: Accident