Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Recaro seats, no steering wheel movement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:12 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recaro seats, no steering wheel movement

In the continuing push to prep for the track I just had Recaro Pole Position seats installed in my '07 Z with option 2LT. I just noticed that the steering wheel will no longer move in or out.

My guess is it has something to do with the electrics in the drivers seat that are no longer plugged into the car. Perhaps related to the way everything is wired for the exit button that moves the seat back and retracts the steering wheel.

If this is the case, it would require jumping some wires in the plug half that remains in the car. Has anyone seen this before and already have a solution? If not, does anyone know where to get a fully detailed electric schematic?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures of the seats would be nice
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
In the continuing push to prep for the track I just had Recaro Pole Position seats installed in my '07 Z with option 2LT. I just noticed that the steering wheel will no longer move in or out.

My guess is it has something to do with the electrics in the drivers seat that are no longer plugged into the car. Perhaps related to the way everything is wired for the exit button that moves the seat back and retracts the steering wheel.

If this is the case, it would require jumping some wires in the plug half that remains in the car. Has anyone seen this before and already have a solution? If not, does anyone know where to get a fully detailed electric schematic?
That is correct. Your telescoping steering wheel does not work.

I had to put my old seat on top of my race seat to get the steering wheel out to where I wanted it. Then unplug the conections and take the stock seat out. Now the steering wheel is where I need it, but no telescope funtion, which is fine with me.

Good Luck
Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting any airbag warning messages?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
What air bags? No I did not. Wait. Yes I did, but they do not work.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Yes I am getting the airbag alarm light on the dash, which you would expect since the the two seat airbags are gone. Colin believes he can make that go away by adding a resistor to the wiring harness under each seat, which he has accomplished on different cars. I have been assured the two front airbags are still functional.

My hope is by purchasing a half plug identical to the one on the seat and getting a complete wiring schematic of the seat, door and steering column, I will be able to jump the correct contacts.

I want the funtion back as I won't know where I want the steering wheel until I have the seat position/tilt tested and fine tuned at the track. Are full schematics available on-line or do I need to go to my dealer?

I'll post some photos soon. The seats look great with black leather with red stitching and red Recaro logo (my one concession to bling). One thing I have noticed is the distance between the right bolster and the shift **** is tight for my arm to fit when shifting to 2nd, 4th and 6th. I am only 5' 7" so the seat is forward creating the issue. The seat does need to rotate back some as it is too upright, so that should help. Perhaps I should have my legs stretched so I could move the seat furthur back?

Shark bar and Schroth Profi II HANS 6 Six Point Harnesses go in next week.

Last edited by kentz06; 01-27-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

My hope is by purchasing a half plug identical to the one on the seat and getting a complete wiring schematic of the seat, door and steering column, I will be able to jump the correct contacts.
I'll be near my factory service manuals on Monday, so I'll take a peek and see if the schems you need are there. If Colin does solve the problem, let me know. I'm holding off on Sparco EVO seat (on Hardbar rails) until the electrical issues have been solved by somebody else. The HANS will just not work right with the stock seat.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:02 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I have been assured the two front airbags are still functional.
As long as the SRS MIL is on, ALL airbags are disabled. Including the two in the front.

You're going to have a couple of challenges to overcome with this setup:

1. The car can't sense the side airbag since they're gone. A resistor can probably fix this.

2. The car can't sense the seat position for either passenger or driver seat. Another resistor MIGHT fix this, but I'm not entirely sure of this.

3. The car can't sense whether someone's in the passenger seat or not (assuming you're doing race seats on both sides).

All in all, you probably have 4 SRS codes thrown in your computer.
B0065
B0066
B0083
B0092

I believe that with ANY of these thrown, the entire SRS is disabled.

jas
Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
As long as the SRS MIL is on, ALL airbags are disabled. Including the two in the front.

You're going to have a couple of challenges to overcome with this setup:

1. The car can't sense the side airbag since they're gone. A resistor can probably fix this.

2. The car can't sense the seat position for either passenger or driver seat. Another resistor MIGHT fix this, but I'm not entirely sure of this.

3. The car can't sense whether someone's in the passenger seat or not (assuming you're doing race seats on both sides).

All in all, you probably have 4 SRS codes thrown in your computer.
B0065
B0066
B0083
B0092

I believe that with ANY of these thrown, the entire SRS is disabled.

jas
What would it take to read the alarm codes and where can I get a list of the codes? Perhaps a visit with my dealer and their top performance guy is in order.

I wonder if this car has a logic ladder comparable to my CNC machine tools that looks for sensors tripped and positions made? How does the car know when the drivers seat is all the way back? I believe there is no electrics in the passanger seat except for airbags and heating coils.

I am committed to resolving all these issues.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

What would it take to read the alarm codes and where can I get a list of the codes?
Unfortunately, it takes a Tech-2 to read them all. And brand new, Tech-2s run north of $5000-6000 or so.

There are pieces of Windows-based software that will also, supposedly, read ALL of the codes. You just need to hook a laptop up to the serial port under the steering wheel. I have no experience with any of these software packages, so I'm not sure they work.

The list of codes and what they mean are in the Helm manual for your car.

jas
Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Schematics Allan?

As I recall,using a single Evo seat,I had no issues other than the loss of the telescope function. To position the steering wheel we used the stock seat with telescope function active,then the Evo was set in place.
I plan to race this year with the passenger seat removed so I have a real interest in sorting out the electronics. Allan the schematics may help,maybe bring them when we visit our favorite tire supplier this week? Knowing the connector manufacturer would be helpful since we are probably going to need the mating *cap* to route some signals to and fro.

Cheers,

R
Old 01-29-2007, 02:06 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am just back from looking at the bottom of the drivers seat and the wires in the car. OUCH!

I think there are more wires for the one seat than in my old 3/4 ton 1950 Studebaker PU total.

What I found on the seat:

Three motors for: front elevation, rear elevation and fore/aft positioning.

Two "black" boxes:
large - P/N 15296303
small - P/N 10399538

Four wiring connectors (I think they are all Delphi):
small black - two wire - no P/N
medium white - two wire - no P/N (probably for seat heaters)
medium black - seven wire - P/N PA6-GB20-GF10
large black/purple latch - 15 wire - no P/N

Only the one connector had anything like a usable part number. Figuring out the 26 wires may prove easier than finding the connector bodies and their pins.

Would need a highly detailed and color coded schematic to get started.

Last edited by kentz06; 01-29-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
eeagle
Racer

Default Help with Recaro Pole Position

You might try calling Peter Callaway at callawaycars.com. Callaway put the Recaro Pole Position in their custom C16. That vehicle is C6 based so there may be some transferable learnings they would be willing to share.

Good Luck!

Last edited by eeagle; 01-29-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarify internet address
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eeagle
You might try calling Peter Callaway at callawaycars.com. Callaway put the Recaro Pole Position in their custom C16. That vehicle is C6 based so there may be some transferable learnings they would be willing to share.

Good Luck!
I have contacted Callaway and the individual that may be able to help is out for a few days. I will report back if/when I hear anything.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

I have contacted Callaway and the individual that may be able to help is out for a few days. I will report back if/when I hear anything.
I've got about 25 pages of schems, wiring connector tables, etc. for the seats. PM your email address and I'll see if I can get good PDF's to send you (AAB is the memory seat, KA1 is the heated seat RPO codes that you will see in the material).

Last edited by allanlaw; 01-29-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary at Hardbar said Dan at Vetteworks was working on something to fix the airbag/steering column issue. In the autocross forum, Aaron Pfadt also said they are working on a plug to get the airbag light to go out and the steering column to work. Sounds like help is on the way from multiple sources.

Last edited by jrz1; 02-09-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really want pics and price! I love these seats !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Recaro seats, no steering wheel movement

Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM
eeagle
Racer

Originally Posted by Garrett FRC
Try this site: seats are $1,495 at Speedware Motorsports: check it out. http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/seat/customPole.asp
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eeagle
Try this site: seats are $1,495 at Speedware Motorsports: check it out. http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/seat/customPole.asp
THANK YOU!! Very helpful site. Those seats are soooooo nice! Specially with those harnesses. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Garrett FRC
Photos are posted elsewhere but here they are again. Note the effectiveness of the stock seatbelt is reduced as the snap end is on the outside of the Recaro seat. I am going to start using the harness lap belt along with the stock belt on the street.

I purchased the seats, all the mounting brackets and had everything installed by Speedware. Their performance was top notch. The Recaro Pole Position seat start around $700 each and go up to $1500 each.

I continue to have airbag, steering wheel movement and driver door electricial issues. This is not stopping me from driving the car but they do need to be resolved. I just met Dan from Vetteworksonline and as someone previously suggested he is working on the problem. He has an Electricial Engineering background so he has a fair shot at figuring this out. I will probably be loaning him my stock seats so he can continue his investigation.

Stand by for news.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Recaro seats, no steering wheel movement