Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Total Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Total Warranty Void

Yes, as funny as it sounds, GM told me earlier today that due to after-market parts (headers) that my total car warranty is void on my 2006 C6 Z06. I really don't care per-se, but to me it's about the principle of the matter.

It started a few months ago when GM denied warranty for my starter which they say failed due to my headers. I paid out of pocket and did not think of it again untill today when I got my hands on a doc from GM about my car (with my vin) that says I quote "due to manufactures knowledge of this vehicle this claim is denied". I called GM to inquire and they called me back a few hours later to tell me my warranty was void................the whole car!! I informed them of the US Code- title 15, chapter 50 sections 2301-2312 the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. They told me that has something to do with the Lemon Law! Riiiight!!!

I asked the Gm rep if I changed the rims and tires (which I have) on my car and my radio fails, my warranty would be void under their(his) interruption of the GM claim. He said yes!

Now here's the kicker. I asked for this (that my warranty is void due to after-market) in writing, E-mail or any other form of documentation stating that my warranty is void and they said they were unable, that would have to come from a local dealer. Say what!!! I do have that one doc that was meant for the dealer and not me. This should be interesting to say the least. I wonder how good their 5yr/100,000 warranty will work!

********Updated post on page 4**********

Last edited by m3corvette; 12-15-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
badsube
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think alot of this has to do with the individual dealership, in whether or not they'll cover certain things after modifications. Some dealerships seem to have no problems in covering certain things, especially if the modifications have clearly nothing to do with the problems you're facing with the vehicle. I once heard of a kid who put lowering springs on his new ford focus. His head unit on his radio lost power a few weeks later and ford told him it was due to the stiffer ride from the aftermarket springs . I am one to modify a car before the warranty has run out, but luckily I haven't faced any problems so far. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats so outrageous, I hardly believe it...
good luck!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

This will be interesting to follow. I'm glad you were knowledgable of the Magnuson-Moss act. It was passed for exactly this reason.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that the manufacturer can deny coverage for those items that failed due to the installation of the after market part(s) i.e. your starter (if the headers really did cause the failure), but they can't void the entire warranty.

You might want to check with SEMA: http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

That sounds like a load of to me.

EBS
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I would have thought that the decal on your windshield was a dead giveaway! Sorry to hear it but like Jim said, good that you are informed.

Doug
Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Z06HAMMER
Advanced

Default warranty

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Contact an attorney. I don't believe the warranty is void unless the dealer/mfg can prove that your *aftermarket* part caused the specific failure. A blanket statement that the warranty is void on your entire car without specific proof that any of your aftermarket equipment caused issue with a part is the dealer betting you can't or won't call them to the carpet legally. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 AM
GN1270
Safety Car

Wow, That is going to kill resale value with a voided powertrain warranty let alone the whole car.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

What a bunch of Some dealers just make your life miserable. Can't wait til I take mine in for the ashtray problem and they see the blower
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pio
What a bunch of Some dealers just make your life miserable. Can't wait til I take mine in for the ashtray problem and they see the blower
Sweet! I'm thinking about doing a twin turbo on the C6 Z. That should void the warranty on my other C6!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Sorry to hear that Scott. If you had a yellow Z, you wouldn't have had this problem..

(On a serious note, i wish you the best with that situation)
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

It is unfortunate that a dealer would choose to go this route. This cannot be in the best interest of Chevrolet.
Mike
Old 12-13-2006, 06:23 AM
98VertPDX
Racer

Can't believe they would void the whole warranty just for the headers!

Originally Posted by m3corvette
Sweet! I'm thinking about doing a twin turbo on the C6 Z. That should void the warranty on my other C6!!!
I bet the will void the one on your other C6 AND the Truck too with the TTs...
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Icebourg
Pro

I wanted to install headers as well, but all the stories about voiding warranties scared me off!! The dealers here in South Louisiana are the same way. I guess with the financial situation at GM they will do anything no to have to pay for repairs.
I thought this car was built for track use..........that was the selling point three dealerships tried on me.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
fa63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Icebourg
I thought this car was built for track use..........that was the selling point three dealerships tried on me.
It is; few cars are faster around a track out of the box. No mods needed, besides the driver mod.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by fa63
It is; few cars are faster around a track out of the box. No mods needed, besides the driver mod.
But, are you or anyone willing to pay if you play.

I tracked my car every other weekend. And, it was a crap shoot every time I went. If something broke would it be covered. If the dealer knew I tracked the car would they have replaced my engine or cried abuse.

Get notified of new replies

To Total Warranty Void

Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Meegle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

m3corvette,

Sorry to hear what you're going through. Your dealer's failure to even confirm in writing your voided warranty is actually in your favor.
I believe that you have a good case in getting an ammended warranty that would be compliant with the Magnuson-Moss act.

Did this dealer take any pictures of your headers? if not, how do you feel about re-installing the factory manifolds when you have any future issues?

Your case truly is a wake-up call for all of us who are thinking/have modified their vehicle.
The shop foreman at my local dealer expressed his view that even something as minor as aftermarket wheels or lowering kit would void the entire warranty

Hope things work out for you.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebourg
.....I guess with the financial situation at GM they will do anything no to have to pay for repairs....
I have some pretty good contacts at a Ford dealer who recently told me that Ford is really cracking down on warranty claims. Their attitude is to dissallow any questionable claims, then let the dealer fight over it.

As much as we like to blame the dealers for so many things, the reality is that I think many people would be surprised at how much a dealer eats in order to take care of a customer when the factory turns down the claim.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 AM
fa63
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
But, are you or anyone willing to pay if you play.

I tracked my car every other weekend. And, it was a crap shoot every time I went. If something broke would it be covered. If the dealer knew I tracked the car would they have replaced my engine or cried abuse.
I remember Dave Hill saying something like Chevrolet was going to be more lenient warranty repairs involving failures due to track use for the C6 Z06. Of course, once you start modding all bets are off; you are pretty much up to the mercy of your local dealer unless you are willing to put up a good fight.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Total Warranty Void