Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Racing Brake's stock replacement two-piece rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Brake's stock replacement two-piece rotors

I know a lot of people on here have been asking if there are any stock replacement rotors available now that can use the existing calipers.

I've waited a while before posting my findings, but I've now had a chance to evaluate the pair of front rotors I bought from Racing Brake and can only say that they are excellent!

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...p/2072-311.htm

They are a proper 2 piece design with a fully floating rotor mounted onto a forged alloy hat. They weigh a full 9lbs less than stock EACH.

Most importantly to me, they are slotted, not drilled (so no holes from which to propogate cracks) and they are UNIDIRECTIONAL, i.e. they are "handed" left and right; no cheapo "left hand only" nonsense here!

For those who didn't follow some of my earlier posts, I had bad cracks on my rotors after only 2000 miles and there was an increasingly bad vibration coming from the brake pedal.

There was a production fault on the early example that Racing Brake sent me, but they were quick to email me to warn of the problem and when some suggested solutions didn't work out, they were very quick to courier me a replacement pair at their expense.

The new ones have now been tested (with Raybestos ST43s and Motul RBF 600) on a very high speed airfield track day last week and I can attest that they stood up very well to some heavy duty braking (from an indicated 197mph down to about 80mph on one corner!).

I haven't yet had the chance to really hammer them for a prolonged continuous race circuit track day, but I have no doubt that they will last considerably longer than stock rotors.
When you consider their very reasonable asking price, currently on sale at $364.95 each, I think they are excellent value.

The Raybestos pads also work extremely well, both on the street and on track, but they have the downside of being very squeally which is a bit of a pain on the high street!

I now have modified Goodridge SS brake lines that are being fitted at the same time as my LPE cam kit. If the rotors last really well, I may consider paying for a set of Pagid padlets instead of upgrading to a BBK.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 112 Likes on 45 Posts

Computer glitch - double post - deleted
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 112 Likes on 45 Posts

The Racing Brake rotors sound great. I am assuming you stayed with the stock calipers. Although 197MPH() down to 80MPH should create a tremdous amount of heat, I would think that there is sufficient cooling taking place while getting to those speeds. Do the rotors and brake seem to run cooler than the stock setup? Have you added any extra ducting to the rotors. I guess in other words, is the entire setup stock other than the rotors, pads and SS brake lines?

I am looking to possibly change my rotors by next spring. I am considering this setup, but would definitely like to get more feedback once you have a chance to really hammer them.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
Old 11-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks David. I have been anxiously awaiting your feedback. Although limited in scope, it and the lighter weight is enough for me to purchase a pair for the front. I am going to run Carbotech XP-10's on all corners. I got good results with the Xp-8's on the front with the stocks in the rear and I am now ready to step it up. I have quite a bit of the checking around the holes on my OEM rotors and I have been reluctant to really push it. I'm also running Motul 600.

BTW, kudos on 197mph
Old 11-14-2006, 02:55 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Thanks guys.

The only changes I had made were the rotors, pads and fluid.
The stainless steel lines are being fitted now and I'm still thinking about spindle ducts and hoses.

I'm sure the Racing Brake rotors do run cooler than stock as a) they are unidirectional and b) the open nature of the hat must mean more air gets to both sides of the rotor better and more air can be sucked in from the centre of the rotor.

I still don't like the lack of thickness and cost of the Z06 pad size, but the ST43s seem to be lasting quite well and their stopping power and resistance to fade is pretty impressive.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:24 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Just an update to say that I've had the chance to really try these rotors out at an all day track day.

With the extra 100bhp or so of my LPE cam kit, they were certainly worked hard (152mph to 50 for one corner) and they were superb.

There was some grumbling from the pads as they got hot and minor vibrations, but as soon as they were allowed to cool off, they were as good as new. I reckon the floating disc design works really well with the expansion of the braking surface being unrestrained by the alloy hat, hence no distortion.

One question though. The car seems very "squirly" under heavy braking now and I don't know if it is the use of ST43s front and rear or the fact I have really worn the shoulders of the front left tyre.

The car never used to tramline but now that tyre is worn, it does seem to follow cambers and unsettle under braking.

Has anyone else ever noticed this with worn front tyres or is it a brake bias issue with very grippy race pads front and rear?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Do they make rears also?

Last edited by outnumbered; 11-30-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by outnumbered

Do they make rears also?
They sure do! http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...p/2073-311.htm

I recommend the slotted only as drilled ones may be prone to cracking. I haven't fitted rears yet, but if mine wear out I may.

My stock ones still look new though!

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the rear of the car has become unstable under braking?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outnumbered

Do they make rears also?

Yes, they make both front and rear. I have them in my car and they work great. The rears only save you about 1 lb. each because of the emergency brake drums.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

David: Was there any reason you didn't go with Hardbar's 2 piece rotors? They look real nice and are known to be one of the best, plus Gary Hoffman is a supporting vendor. Just curious.

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Just for clarification. That's 9lbs difference between these 2-piece rotors and stock or between these 2-piece rotors and some other aftermarket 1-piece rotors? The site does not specify whether the 1-piece rotors they're referencing are the stock ones or not.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:47 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hatdude
Just for clarification. That's 9lbs difference between these 2-piece rotors and stock or between these 2-piece rotors and some other aftermarket 1-piece rotors? The site does not specify whether the 1-piece rotors they're referencing are the stock ones or not.
9lbs over stock each. That's unsprung rotational weight too, so the best kind to lose!

I did a quick ask on here before looking and I had already bought the Racing Brake ones before someone suggested Hardbar's ones.

RB are also going to send out a set of Hawk for me to try in order to compare with the Raybestos.
They are Hawk DTC-70s for the front with the option of DTC-70s or -60s for the rear.
Does anyone here run different pads front to rear and if so why?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David_Yu
When you consider their very reasonable asking price, currently on sale at $364.95 each, I think they are excellent value.
$360 for a rotor?

This is part of the reason I am going back to a C5Z w/ $35 dollar rotors.

Last edited by RFC2; 12-01-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Good find David!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

These sound and cost much like Gary Hoffman's rotors except DRM said the fixed rotors held up much better than the floating ones.

This front brake thing is a real delima...

there is nothing wrong with the stock setup except the freak'n pads are too freak'n expensive. Carbotech's are $350/front set and you need 2 sets to make it through a week end @ Road America.

So they blame the pad wear, which are very thin to begin with, on the holes. The rotors held up great, those small cracks don't mean jack.

so solid rotors cost $800 and don't really guarantee significantly better pad wear.

And Stoptech calipers are what $3,500.

Anyone know if you can buy stock in Carbotech? They have got to be making some big bank deposits...I wouldn't mind changing pads before each track day if they cost like 100 bucks...I would be a happy camper

BTW: stock rotors cost $115 each
Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
AP
Team Owner

:flag

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Brake's stock replacement two-piece rotors

Old 12-02-2006, 02:47 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Your info makes me more confused than before.

These sound and cost much like Gary Hoffman's rotors except DRM said the fixed rotors held up much better than the floating ones.
Most people say that floating are better than fixed, maybe except DRM?

there is nothing wrong with the stock setup except the freak'n pads are too freak'n expensive. Carbotech's are $350/front set and you need 2 sets to make it through a week end @ Road America.
So they blame the pad wear, which are very thin to begin with, on the holes. The rotors held up great, those small cracks don't mean jack.
So you're saying don't worry about those cracks? Quite a contrary to many hard core racers on here. Plus the aftermarket rotors are significantly lighter than the stockers

so solid rotors cost $800 and don't really guarantee significantly better pad wear. And Stoptech calipers are what $3,500.
I believe the StopTech front kits are less than $3000, and include rotors, lines, calipers, pads.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
0RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, Racingbrake is new to this forum but we have been in brake business for 20 years and we started Z06 and Z51 two piece rotors development since February. Here is how we got into these two piece rotor development:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/viewto...689f7cf041cb0f

At Racingbrake we provide brake solutions rather than marketing the brake upgrades that you may not need. We probably make most brake upgrades than any competitions; from one piece and two piece stock replacement rotors to OE caliper brake kits and Aluminum caliper kits. We provide various options to suit your need and budgets.

Based on our experiences with Grand AM cup and NSX hardcore racers, we are convinced that a good rotor and pad are most essential to your brake upgrade.

In our opinion, one should consider upgrading the pads first, then rotors. If both are still not good enough then consider a brake system upgrade that still retain the use of stock rotors for less money but more choices on aftermarket products. We have similar aluminum caliper kits built for WRX, RX8 and NSX (except EVO, Sti, 350Z/G35 which already come with Brembo calipers so we make BBK with larger rotors).

We work with Hawk’s very closely in the brake pads, they test with their dynos and we tested them in the tracks to ensure RB rotors and Hawk racing pads deliver unparallel brake performance in the racing industry. We even convinced them to make DTC-70 and DTC-60 available to Z06 enthusiasts with a very competitive price against Carbotech, Raybstos or Pagid.

http://www.racingbrake.com/CORVETTE_Z06_s/4669.htm

We were the first brake company stocks Hawk DTC pads and we may offer a package price with our two piece rotors. Here is a recent review on our NSX two piece big rotors (13”) and DTC pads

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=88

This set up is suitable only for motorsports.

We just signed up as a supporting vender and will post more on our products and offer soon.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Added to the FAQ.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Racing Brake's stock replacement two-piece rotors