Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Went to the drag strip. *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Went to the drag strip. *Video*

Hello everyone.

I decided to go to the track yesterday with some buddies. Last time I went, I snapped a half-shaft, therefore, I only ran once yesterday. I was just too paranoid about breaking something again being 117 miles away from home. Anyway, here is the video of my only run yesterday. This was my 6th clean pass this year. If I were to guess, this car has another .2 secs in it if I a) Quit shifting so slow into 3rd gear (I have had bad experience with third gear) and b) Squeeze the throttle on the shifts to minimize tire squeal instead of fully matting the gas pedal.

Enjoy

Video:
http://video.ls1tech.com/video/ea6de...4e00370948.htm

Timeslip:

Btw, that was a Gen I Viper with smooth tubes and K&N's. That was his best for the day.

Last edited by Zlicious; 10-02-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Fadi very nice run....very smooth.I have a track rental on the 13th so I hope I don't break anything....I have mods now so it will be fun.....Oh when did you break your half-shaft.....off the line or on the 1-2 shift?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by GaryZ06
Fadi very nice run....very smooth.I have a track rental on the 13th so I hope I don't break anything....I have mods now so it will be fun.....Oh when did you break your half-shaft.....off the line or on the 1-2 shift?
Gary, last time I went to the strip, I ran twice. The first run was an 11.69 with a lot of wheel hop. The second run, it broke right on the launch. I got so much wheel hop on the first run that and it put so much stress on my half-shaft that on the second run, it just gave out on me right at the launch.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice run, Zilicious. Very clean launch with the right amount of spin.

For GaryZ06...The path to avoiding breakage on launch and the 1-2 shift is to avoid wheel hop. This is best ensured by dropping the rear psi to 26-27 hot, while in the staging lanes. This gives the rears enough sidewall flex.

Ranger
Old 10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ranger
For GaryZ06...The path to avoiding breakage on launch and the 1-2 shift is to avoid wheel hop. This is best ensured by dropping the rear psi to 26-27 hot, while in the staging lanes. This gives the rears enough sidewall flex.

Ranger
Thanks Ranger...I had at least 150+ runs on my 2001 Z06 with DR's and never broke anything.This will be a new learning curve.The good thing is that my 1st outing with this car will be at a track rental so I will get a lot of practice.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Nice run, Zilicious. Very clean launch with the right amount of spin.

Ranger
Thanks Ranger.

Looking at my 8th mile time, I was thinking that would equate to a better ET, so, I am assuming this is due to my slower shifting into third? Am I right? Or do the times add up properly?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was cool, thanks for posting.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zlicious
...Ranger...Looking at my 8th mile time, I was thinking that would equate to a better ET, so, I am assuming this is due to my slower shifting into third? Am I right? Or do the times add up properly?
Zlicious, the pass looks proportionate to me and remains so after checking my drag log.

C6Z ETs and traps are very sensitive to shift points and duration spent with the clutch-in.

GaryZ06, I should have added that the word is "lift immediately" on first sign of wheel hop. With the tires at a reduced psi, that not likely. But if it happens, don't attempt to drive thru the hop.

Ranger
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zlicious, the pass looks proportionate to me and remains so after checking my drag log.

C6Z ETs and traps are very sensitive to shift points and duration spent with the clutch-in.

GaryZ06, I should have added that the word is "lift immediately" on first sign of wheel hop. With the tires at a reduced psi, that not likely. But if it happens, don't attempt to drive thru the hop.

Ranger
Wheel hop = breakage. Not good! That was a good pass Zlicious.What's up Ranger. A little bird told me you are doing a track rental soon. What's up with that? Scott
Old 10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Ranger.

Looking at my 8th mile time, I was thinking that would equate to a better ET, so, I am assuming this is due to my slower shifting into third? Am I right? Or do the times add up properly?
Thanks for the video. That was a nice clean strong run. I believe your 1/8 mile IS in line with your 1/4 et for this car.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by m3corvette
...What's up Ranger. A little bird told me you are doing a track rental soon. What's up with that?
Hey Scott.

The fast guys in NJ are kind enough to allow this Maryland racer to join them for two rentals of Atco, one each in October and November. That's a three-hour drive for me. Strong incentive to avoid breakage.

The rental venue gives plenty of time to cool the car between passes and hang with fun group of fast drivers.

Planning a few trips to MIR before then. Only made three passes in the last four month. Hoping to rectify that and find the 10s on DRs before the end of the season.

All the best.

Ranger
Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Ok, thanks guys for the info. I did not think it was proportioned correctly, but since the veterans are saying so, then it is!!..
Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Mr. Zlicious,

That was a GOOD pass, I have one question for ya, did you shift into fourth during that run? Yes, a little faster and higher RPM shifts would have probably netted you a much lower Elapse Time.

Now is the time to take advantage of that cool Northern air...go for it brotha, don't be afraid to break; I doubt that you'll break something again. I see a 11.3X pass in your future within a couple vists, or maybe even the next time out! BOY I love the North for racing!
This Texas heat sucks, for example, today's high is 93*and who knows what the humidity is going to be like. I am shock that my car even runs decent in these crappy conditions.

Anyway, way to go and please keep us posted on your progress; I love seeing and hearing about other members using their Z for other than getting groceries or cruising!

Way to go amigo!

Last edited by Myhardtop; 10-02-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Scott.

The fast guys in NJ are kind enough to allow this Maryland racer to join them for two rentals of Atco, one each in October and November. That's a three-hour drive for me. Strong incentive to avoid breakage.

The rental venue gives plenty of time to cool the car between passes and hang with fun group of fast drivers.

Planning a few trips to MIR before then. Only made three passes in the last four month. Hoping to rectify that and find the 10s on DRs before the end of the season.

All the best.

Ranger
Sweet! I finally have a track rental coming up the end of this month. At least I know I won't get kicked out. I hope you hit some good times there with the cold air. I know the car has a 10 in it stock with DR's, so show em how it's done bro! Later. Scott
Old 10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Mr. Zlicious,

That was a GOOD pass, I have one question for ya, did you shift into fourth during that run? Yes, a little faster and higher RPM shifts would have probably netted you a much lower Elapse Time.

Now is the time to take advantage of that cool Northern air...go for it brotha, don't be afraid to break; I doubt that you'll break something again. I see a 11.3X pass in your future within a couple vists, or maybe even the next time out! BOY I love the North for racing!
This Texas heat sucks, for example, today's high is 93*and who knows what the humidity is going to be like. I am shock that my car even runs decent in these crappy conditions.

Anyway, way to go and please keep us posted on your progress; I love seeing and hearing about other members using their Z for other than getting groceries or cruising!

Way to go amigo!
Scott, what's up brutha? Thanks man. Yes, I actually shifted into 4th this time, but every so barely did I have to do so. I could have bumped the limiter in third and gone through the traps if I wanted to. Yes, I know my shifthing can improve a bit. I really think there is another .2 secs left, or an 11.3x like you said. But, to be completely honest with you, I hate drag racing. lol, I don't know why I do, but I do. You have seen my video, they are all roll on races. Less stress on the car, driver skill is more so taken out of the equation, etc.

We will see, I might go out again and try for an 11.3x-11.45. I am sure I can do it with better shifting (Which I am capable of doing, but don't because I have had bad experience with third gear)

Scott, I wish you lived near by man. Seems like we both are car freaks who love the Z and love racing.. Take care brutha.

Fadi
Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM
MEANZ06
Race Director

very very cool!!! gave me goose bumps
Old 10-02-2006, 02:21 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Gary, last time I went to the strip, I ran twice. The first run was an 11.69 with a lot of wheel hop. The second run, it broke right on the launch. I got so much wheel hop on the first run that and it put so much stress on my half-shaft that on the second run, it just gave out on me right at the launch.
Zlicious - Nice run and great progress.
As far as your axle assembly, I don't believe there have been any reports of breakage of the latest version - Part #15891870. However, if something breaks it might end up being your left side that still has the older/weaker version. (Although the vast majority of the time it is going to be the right side).

BTW - When was your car produced? It would be helpful since we're trying to track what versions of the axle are most prone to breakage.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Went to the drag strip. *Video*

Old 10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Thanks, dgdoc. I will report back later on the production date of my car.

Yes, my left half-shaft is still the stock one that has not been replaced. I hope it doesn't go out on me if I decide to run again.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Scott, what's up brutha? Thanks man. Yes, I actually shifted into 4th this time, but every so barely did I have to do so. I could have bumped the limiter in third and gone through the traps if I wanted to. Yes, I know my shifthing can improve a bit. I really think there is another .2 secs left, or an 11.3x like you said. But, to be completely honest with you, I hate drag racing. lol, I don't know why I do, but I do. You have seen my video, they are all roll on races. Less stress on the car, driver skill is more so taken out of the equation, etc.

We will see, I might go out again and try for an 11.3x-11.45. I am sure I can do it with better shifting (Which I am capable of doing, but don't because I have had bad experience with third gear)

Scott, I wish you lived near by man. Seems like we both are car freaks who love the Z and love racing.. Take care brutha.

Fadi
Fadi, how did you know my extended name was Scott? Really, my mother's maiden name is Scott. I am Carlos...some call me Carlitos, Los, Knuckle head, Pendejo and the list goes on but never Scott. Don't worry, I don't mind being called something else

But anyway...don't worry about that 3rd gear shift; practice your shifts and the rest will fall in place. Do this, and you may think this is funny: go to the garage, sit in the car, adjust yourself as if you were about to race. DON'T turn on the car, just play like the role as if you were racing at the track, go through the shifting motions over and over. Heck, even throw in some vocals while you're at, you know, some vroom vroom action like we all did when we were kids!

You'll be surprise to see how much those little role playing sessions help out.

Back to you Scotty
Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Fadi, how did you know my extended name was Scott? Really, my mother's maiden name is Scott. I am Carlos...some call me Carlitos, Los, Knuckle head, Pendejo and the list goes on but never Scott. Don't worry, I don't mind being called something else

But anyway...don't worry about that 3rd gear shift; practice your shifts and the rest will fall in place. Do this, and you may think this is funny: go to the garage, sit in the car, adjust yourself as if you were about to race. DON'T turn on the car, just play like the role as if you were racing at the track, go through the shifting motions over and over. Heck, even throw in some vocals while you're at, you know, some vroom vroom action like we all did when we were kids!

You'll be surprise to see how much those little role playing sessions help out.

Back to you Scotty
Carlos, didn't you know I have psychic abilities??

LOL, I am sorry man, I thought I was replying to "m3corvette" for some reason why I quoted you. Sorry about that..

Anyway, thanks for the Tip, Carlos. But, when I shift the car while it is off, it is completely different than when the car is on. I don't do this drill because I don't think it will help given that there will be two different feels in two different scenerios. When the car is off, getting it into gear is just that much easier than when the car is on.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Went to the drag strip. *Video*