Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Governor Arnold here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia signed into law a new bill that says if you are caught racing on the street it's now a felony. They have the right to confiscate your car. For laughs the CHP lets you watch it being crushed.
I can't see them crushing a car that they can auction off for good money to finance their effort. If they are doing that, they are idiots.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
NY impound car and say goodbye to it. Jail on spot.
Yep.

In NY the rule is 40 mph above any posted speed limit is automatic ticket (11 points I think), towaway and jail. Good luck getting insured to so much as ride a bicycle thereafter.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:16 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
In the futureworld, everything will be monitored, watched, and managed. Controls will ensure that no one violates the rules. Order will be maintained.

Thank God I was a teenager in the 1950s, experienced Haight-Asbury and the summer of love and lived when the population of greater Atlanta was 300,000.

The future of this overpopulated, globally warmed, tightly policed world looks dim from my perspective.
You said it.

The country roads east of Covington, GA, are great for driving on Sat and Sun at dawn.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
You said it.

The country roads east of Covington, GA, are great for driving on Sat and Sun at dawn.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 1st date with Bubba
Old 09-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Z Sarge
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio Run

Go Ahead Run......You may outrun the cruiser....But I'll bet you won't outrun Motorola...........
The following users liked this post:
Gary '09 C6 (07-29-2019)
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I did one of my patented "on ramp F-14 carrier launch impersonations" several years ago at night, hit about 130 mph at the bottom of the ramp, slowed to 80 soon after. Didn't see a cop far in the distance behind me. It took him almost a minute to catch up, when he did he had some stern words and claimed he was over 120 mph trying to catch me. :o He couldn't clock me (I was too far ahead ) but he wrote it for 100 mph, I wasn't going to argue. The ticket was $200 +50 court costs after a no lo plea during the mandatory court appearance, no big deal really other than several points on the license (I was at 0 before that). Got lucky and learned a lesson.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy
Honestly, at 150 I keep going. I don't think people should just try to outrun cops, but I have on several instances (mostly when younger in a Lingenfelter 383 vette, three times in my current Camaro). If your going to get caught (i.e.radar goes ape****) at 150+, I think it is worth taking a chance if the environment allows for it. Luckily, where we usd to street race, its pretty barren and going straight for a mile or two and taking an access road is possible. In daytime or in traffic, obciously not. I don't do 150 in daytime in traffic though. A guy here with a LPE TT C5 got stopped doing over 160 mph. He got in a load of ****. I don't know that there would be all that much more trouble for running to be quite honest.

If your willing to run, and you speed at the right time/environment....then run. If your not sure at all, or don't want to run, then dont go 150 on public roads.

SRG
whatever!!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

On the track.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Is it just me ? ? ?

I thought the initial post was asking a legitimate question. But then the "When I was a teenager" confessions seem to be bringing this thread too close to a discusion of Str**t R*c*ng.

The M*d*r*t*rs can't be that far behind .
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

How many times do I have to post this rule?

No kill stories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street racing is dangerous and illegal. Kill stories, or for that matter any posting about illegal, reckless and dangerous activities, is not permitted at Corvetteforum.com.

Take it to the track.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Ljmusemd
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default high speed driving awards in Ohio

Most of these happened in the middle of the night 20+ years ago-I was a stupid kid doing stupid stuff. I learned my lesson without any tragedy except for some warped rotors and flat spots on several sets of tires. In 1992 I got pulled over for 149 in a 65mph zone (arrestible offense at the time) -reduced on the spot to 84 in a 65. I still had shoe polish on my windshield from the drag strip earlier that day which led to chit chat about racing and so forth-nice guy-State trooper no less- $50 mail in ticket . Same week at dusk I was apprehended after a brisk 155 in a 35. Eventually I was “pulled over” at a road block to an on ramp to I-75 about 4 miles away. Apparently, I had launched from a stoplight right in front of a cruiser and the road dipped immediately after the intersection so he couldn’t clock me, however I unknowingly raced away from him towards his police substation giving them time to set up 5-6 cruiser blockade. I was removed from the vehicle at gun point (many gun points). The fun part- I had reduced my speed to 34 after the initial quarter mile so they never clocked me and I never admitted to an approximate speed so I was issued a warning ticket for speed. Unfortunately I was also issued a failure to control and reckless operation awards for “warming” my Mickey T’s at the stoplight and for the subsequent monster wheelie that I popped at launch. To the dismay of many very pi**ed off officers I drove home and paid my tickets (court appearance required) for $150. The last time I was clocked with my 200mph speedometer pegged hard. I was testing a new spoiler for downforce because the a** end of the car would lift and methodically bounce side to side when it would reach 160ish. This car geared out at 219 mph and I had it wooded for a few miles on a long straight stretch of I-71 so I’m guessing she was going 210-215. State trooper clocked me from the median. I didn’t stop and I’m guessing he didn’t chase. It was 4am and I wired the car with a kill switch for all the lights and still run high intensity re-directed fog lights. Stupid I know-I learned a few things; 1-the spoiler worked like a champ, 2-race tape is made for a reason- 200+mph for a couple minutes tends to remove your window trim and finally 3- a gigantic supercharger attached to a stroked small-block backed by long tube headers and two 3” 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers at 200+ basically sounds like Jesus Christ singing Rob Zombie songs to you while the sky is simultaneously crashing down to earth. Dumb but very orgasmic to your ear *****.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ljmusemd:
B&W_Evader (10-04-2019), BmoreRnsDeep (04-11-2024), Crikk (10-07-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 PM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Three years ago I learned how Nevada treats out of state speed violators. On route to Vegas in my Porsche, I was on the long, straight Mojave Highway and decided to take her up to 155, the max governed speed. I did 155 for several miles, not a car in front of me, not eventful and settled back to 75 after a few minutes . Within five minutes, In my rear view was this set of flashing lights and I knew the best thing was to pull over, offer no bullshit. I figured he must have been using radar or laser.

He walks up and I greet him. I immediately tell him I’m not going to bullshit him, that I admit I was going well over 100. He tells me to look up at the plane flying by, about 500 feet up and clearly maked on the underside of the wing with a LE star.

The cop offered that the planes max speed is 135 and I ran past under them as if they were dragging flaps. He laughed, said the oberserver was the one pissed off. Cop said observer always caught **** when they had this happen. Other cops would ask if they got bird strikes on the trailing edge of their rudder.

i speed, it’s addictive. I’ve only the one ticket. I swear by radar and Ladar detectors. I’m 65, not getting any younger so what the hell.

My fine, $750. No impound. Lucky me, points never showed up on my dmv records.

Last edited by KurtsZ06; 07-29-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
I don't know if anyone on this forum has been stopped for doing 150 MPH or more, but I wonder what the penalty would be?

I'm sure it varies by state. I assume that no matter what state you are in the penalty would be stiff. Anybody out there had the experience?
Well. Why don't you find out and get back to us?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Sweet...13 year old thread!
The following 2 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
Ice95z (10-16-2019), Racingswh (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sweet...13 year old thread!
. Last time the OP was active was 2008!!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
. Last time the OP was active was 2008!!
Still in prison for going 150 mph in a school zone.

Get notified of new replies

To What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Hell of a first post though.

Originally Posted by Ljmusemd
Most of these happened in the middle of the night 20+ years ago-I was a stupid kid doing stupid stuff. I learned my lesson without any tragedy except for some warped rotors and flat spots on several sets of tires. In 1992 I got pulled over for 149 in a 65mph zone (arrestible offense at the time) -reduced on the spot to 84 in a 65. I still had shoe polish on my windshield from the drag strip earlier that day which led to chit chat about racing and so forth-nice guy-State trooper no less- $50 mail in ticket . Same week at dusk I was apprehended after a brisk 155 in a 35. Eventually I was “pulled over” at a road block to an on ramp to I-75 about 4 miles away. Apparently, I had launched from a stoplight right in front of a cruiser and the road dipped immediately after the intersection so he couldn’t clock me, however I unknowingly raced away from him towards his police substation giving them time to set up 5-6 cruiser blockade. I was removed from the vehicle at gun point (many gun points). The fun part- I had reduced my speed to 34 after the initial quarter mile so they never clocked me and I never admitted to an approximate speed so I was issued a warning ticket for speed. Unfortunately I was also issued a failure to control and reckless operation awards for “warming” my Mickey T’s at the stoplight and for the subsequent monster wheelie that I popped at launch. To the dismay of many very pi**ed off officers I drove home and paid my tickets (court appearance required) for $150. The last time I was clocked with my 200mph speedometer pegged hard. I was testing a new spoiler for downforce because the a** end of the car would lift and methodically bounce side to side when it would reach 160ish. This car geared out at 219 mph and I had it wooded for a few miles on a long straight stretch of I-71 so I’m guessing she was going 210-215. State trooper clocked me from the median. I didn’t stop and I’m guessing he didn’t chase. It was 4am and I wired the car with a kill switch for all the lights and still run high intensity re-directed fog lights. Stupid I know-I learned a few things; 1-the spoiler worked like a champ, 2-race tape is made for a reason- 200+mph for a couple minutes tends to remove your window trim and finally 3- a gigantic supercharger attached to a stroked small-block backed by long tube headers and two 3” 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers at 200+ basically sounds like Jesus Christ singing Rob Zombie songs to you while the sky is simultaneously crashing down to earth. Dumb but very orgasmic to your ear *****.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Stopped reading after "monster wheelie".
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Sotel102
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know the specifics of CA penalties but I know they can be really bad. At one point, Kamala Harris wanted to crush cars for street racing to counter street takeovers - kids stopping traffic on the streets/freeways and starting burnout/drift competitions.

Last edited by Sotel102; 07-30-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?