Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is the C6 Z06 a worthy upgrade from my E39 M5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Sir_Dingo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the C6 Z06 a worthy upgrade from my E39 M5 ?

I have a 2001 BMW M5, but it is a Dinan modded "Beast" with alot of upgrades pushing close to 500hp, but it also weighs closer to 4,000lbs. This Beast has been a joy to drive, with a short shifter, and tight handling thanks to the stage2 racing suspension, for a four door car, it easliy blows away C5's, not Z06's, and keeps up with a base C6.

Now I have some ideas for upgrading it even further, or finally going to Corvette camp, my family are big Vette heads, my Father has owned alot of classics, currently his is a 1960 red baby. I can get my "Beast" up tp 620+hp, but that costs a ton of money to do so, and it would still be a 2001 car. Or if I can find a Z06 for msrp, I might find more joy out of the Vette ?

I have been drooling over the Lemans Blue with the grey wheels Also my sports car is my 2nd car NOT my daily driver, that goes to my good old Toyota Tundra.

Sorry to ramble on, my Wife and I just had a horrible tragedy, the loss of our new born baby daughter, and I need something to cheer me up, and wouldnt mind a change of cars. Is there any dealer in the Chicago area that even has a C6 Z06 for sale, or are they all still order status only ?

Thank you
Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sir_Dingo
I have a 2001 BMW M5, but it is a Dinan modded "Beast" with alot of upgrades pushing close to 500hp, but it also weighs closer to 4,000lbs. This Beast has been a joy to drive, with a short shifter, and tight handling thanks to the stage2 racing suspension, for a four door car, it easliy blows away C5's, not Z06's, and keeps up with a base C6.

Now I have some ideas for upgrading it even further, or finally going to Corvette camp, my family are big Vette heads, my Father has owned alot of classics, currently his is a 1960 red baby. I can get my "Beast" up tp 620+hp, but that costs a ton of money to do so, and it would still be a 2001 car. Or if I can find a Z06 for msrp, I might find more joy out of the Vette ?

I have been drooling over the Lemans Blue with the grey wheels Also my sports car is my 2nd car NOT my daily driver, that goes to my good old Toyota Tundra.

Sorry to ramble on, my Wife and I just had a horrible tragedy, the loss of our new born baby daughter, and I need something to cheer me up, and wouldnt mind a change of cars. Is there any dealer in the Chicago area that even has a C6 Z06 for sale, or are they all still order status only ?

Thank you
Sad to hear about your loss. Hopefully, you'll try for another child.

I'll let others who are owners chime in with their opinions....but I'd get one in a New York minute if it were possible, but right now my 2003 Z will just have to do.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
HollywoodVette
Pro

not the same car...z06 is faster but the m5 is a grand touring beast with all the comforts and its handling is insane, ive been in love with m5's ever since i drove a 00 with the dinan upgrade.Both cars are amazing but you gotta drive the z06 to see wich one fits you best... good luck on yoru decision..
Old 08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
fa63
Instructor

See if you can meet up with someone on this forum from the Chicago area, and get them to give you a ride / let you take it for a spin. That might make your decision easier as you won't be able to test-drive one. Good luck, and sorry about your loss.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

First, I am so sorry about your loss. My wife and I had as similar situation some years ago and you will get through it.
Second, Your car is a touring beast and the Z06 is a sport coupe beast. Personally, I would not put more money into a 2001 car. I would go with the Z06. Ultimately, you must decide. I am sure that you will not be dissapointed with that LMB Z06.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Totally different cars. I had a 2001 M5 and currently own a 2006 M6. They are much more luxurious and easy to live with on a daily basis. The growl from the engine and the push against the seat on the C6 Z06 will definitely make you smile. Sorry for your loss and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
js78
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

sorry to hear about the little one

if your looking for speed, and it sounds like you are, you cant go wrong with the z

good luck with finding one at msrp
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default I own both!

Tough decision..which one? I own an 03M5 w/Dinan software as well as an 07 Z06. They are two completely different animals and I love them both.

The Z06 is a real beast, handles well and really shines as a HPDE track car.
You already know what a fine road car the M5 is so I need not say too much.
If I had to let go of one,well I could live without the M5. Actually I have toyed with trading the M5 for an X5 4.8.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Roland
PM if you have other questions.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

I don't own an m5, but always see them in the rear view mirror.

ZO6 baby!! There not bad daily drivers anyway. I drive my silverado, but drive the Z every chance I get.

Condolences.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Z06CTSV

Sorry to hear about your tragedy. Like some have mentioned Apples/Oranges, totally different missions. I had a 97 M3, loved it but it had lots of problems. As some have mentioned, see if you can drive a Z. I luv mine, it's my third Corvette. I do know that we are very fortunate to have these great choices.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Sir_Dingo
Advanced

Thank you everyone, ya have been real kind I appreciate it

Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area who has an 06/07 Z06 that wouldnt mind giving me a spin ? Even a base C6 gave me a run for the money a few weeks ago, I was shocked how hard it was for me to even keep up with him, worst case I may get a vert C6, that would be fun, and wait for the targa top 08 Z06 with the new designed clutch/shifter
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your baby. I would be crushed if I lost my baby son.

Just remember the more money you put into the M car the more you lose. You'll never get that back. The Z is of course a better performer so if this your toy then I would go for it.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for a four door car, it easliy blows away C5's, not Z06's, and keeps up with a base C6.
I think, herein lies your answer. All that money for the car plus mods and it's still just a 4 door luxury car. Good luck in the future.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you everyone, ya have been real kind I appreciate it

Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area who has an 06/07 Z06 that wouldnt mind giving me a spin ?

I am sorry for your loss and would be happy to cheer you up although time will be your best ally in this case.

I'll be happy to show you my car and give you a ride, ah heck, why not drive it too!

Give me an idea what area you are from.

The fact that you said your M5 is not a DD makes this a very easy decision. The M5 is an excellent car but the Z06 really is a better driving experience.

I sent you a PM.

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 08-17-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Sir_Dingo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

I am sorry for your loss and would be happy to cheer you up although time will be your best ally in this case.

I'll be happy to show you my car and give you a ride, ah heck, why not drive it too!

Give me an idea what area you are from.

The fact that you said your M5 is not a DD makes this a very easy decision. The M5 is an excellent car but the Z06 really is a better driving experience.

I sent you a PM.

Mike

Thanks Mike I PM you too I am free this whole weekend, or whenever works best for you. And thanks again to eveyone here
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Two different beasts, nuf said
Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

1st let me say I am sorry for the loss of your daughter.
I came to the Z06 from a E46 M3. I would have to say the Z06 can out gun the M3 in every performance catagory....BUT... it just dosent quite feel as planted and smooth when you push it in the turns. It has way higher limits for sure, but add in a bump mid-turn and the Z06 becomes twitchy even darty. My M3 was uneffected by these things. Plus the Z is a much more raw car. You can hear the driveline noises clearly in the cabin at lower rpm. Not to mention the lifter noise at 1500-2k. Again these are all things that I knew about before I bought mine. But compared to a BMW.. they will stand out! But, once you hit the gas and tach it out.. all that other stuff goes away. These cars are off the charts. I can use a 1/4 throttle and shift at 5k and probably hang with or even beat an M3. If you want a street legal racecar.. the Z06 will fit the bill. If your looking for something with more of a polished feel... try a 911 Carrera S or a M6. Whatever you decide, hope you find exactly what you want.
PS.. I love my Z and have EXACTLY what I want!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C6 Z06 a worthy upgrade from my E39 M5 ?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseesp
Totally different cars...The growl from the engine and the push against the seat on the C6 Z06 will definitely make you smile. Sorry for your loss and good luck with whatever you decide.

So sorry about your baby.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry for your loss.

Get the Z06 this is a great place to hang out wither way.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truely sorry to hear about that.

If I were you i would get the new Z06 because it is newer and performs similarly.

My mom drives a LMB and it looks awsome.

Why not go american?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is the C6 Z06 a worthy upgrade from my E39 M5 ?