Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why is it that some Z06's come with front spoilers and some don't?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is it that some Z06's come with front spoilers and some don't?

I have been looking at the few Z06's that have came in to my dealer and it seems like some have this black spoiler/lip and some don't. Am I missing something here?

This is what I am talking about:

Thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought all Z's came with that...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by louieT
I thought all Z's came with that...
Me too, but there has been atleast 3-4 brand new Z06's with wraps around them on the lot that I have seen without it. So I am curious if it is a dealer thing or what? If so, I need to inform the dealer to get my damn lip on there, lol.

Anybody have an answer to this?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

All Z06s are supposed to have the spoiler. I believe that it is installed at the dealer, so the ones you saw without them probably hadn't been installed by the dealer yet.

Michael
Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by gasman29
All Z06s are supposed to have the spoiler. I believe that it is installed at the dealer, so the ones you saw without them probably hadn't been installed by the dealer yet.

Michael
Oh ok, I did not know that. Hmmm, weird though that that does not come out of the factory like that. Any reasons to this??
Old 12-24-2005, 12:39 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlicious
Oh ok, I did not know that. Hmmm, weird though that that does not come out of the factory like that. Any reasons to this??
Yep, easy. So it doesn't get scrapped off when it goes on/off the truck. I can think of lots of cars where the lower parts from the front are shipped inside the car for assembly once the car is delivered.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by saleens281cobra
Yep, easy. So it doesn't get scrapped off when it goes on/off the truck. I can think of lots of cars where the lower parts from the front are shipped inside the car for assembly once the car is delivered.
Ya, I figured that would be the reason but figured I would ask anyways.

Got me worried for a second. I thought it was a dealer choice or something. I really like the look of that black lip on there and just wanted to make sure as I have seen ~3 Z06's on the lot without them (In wraps, brand new).

Thanks for the prompt response, everyone..
Old 12-24-2005, 01:31 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, the factory puts them in the car and the dealer installs them. mine was cracked though so i took delivery without the lip on.. they were pretty quick about getting a new one considering it is a new model. i installed it by sliding about 13 metal clips over holes in the bottom of the bumper, then screwing the lip to the clips with 13 screws. it was a PITA. i am guessing i will eventually trash the lip by scraping stuff and will have to do it again.. the part costs a bit over $100.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gasman29

Michael

Yep that is what my salesman said.

Comes off the truck without and then installed on delivery..

Old 12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

that explains it all..thanks everyone
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 PM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

Well thats COOL ,See i learn something NEW everyday about the Z.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:11 AM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its is installed at the dealer as a pre-delivery inspection just like the wheel caps
Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to run an Acura dealer sales department.

As an example, all NSXs came with spring spacers to increase ride height for loading/unloading. They had to be removed prior to delivery.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:31 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Now you have me worried. My car was delivered to my dealer and not touched until I arrived. I was there watching the pre-delivery inspection and no one touched the spoiler. I can tell you with certainty that is is one the car - I have cleaned it at least half a dozen times.

So how did it get there?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:55 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette6799
Now you have me worried. My car was delivered to my dealer and not touched until I arrived. I was there watching the pre-delivery inspection and no one touched the spoiler. I can tell you with certainty that is is one the car - I have cleaned it at least half a dozen times.

So how did it get there?

just be happy you did not have to install it. as long as your car didnt come with lots of "test" miles on it, i would not worry about it, be thankful someone put it on there for you.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
just be happy you did not have to install it. as long as your car didnt come with lots of "test" miles on it, i would not worry about it, be thankful someone put it on there for you.
Yeah, but who did it? My car had three miles on the speedo if my memory serves me right. I know the dealer did not touch a thing.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
BRIAN60x
Racer

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
yeah, the factory puts them in the car and the dealer installs them. mine was cracked though so i took delivery without the lip on.. they were pretty quick about getting a new one considering it is a new model. i installed it by sliding about 13 metal clips over holes in the bottom of the bumper, then screwing the lip to the clips with 13 screws. it was a PITA. i am guessing i will eventually trash the lip by scraping stuff and will have to do it again.. the part costs a bit over $100.
I might as well order mine now. I cant tell unless the car is on a lift, but mine is pretty scrapped up. I am getting better with experiance, I try to hit driveways from an angle now rather than straight on. Glad to hear that the part is inexpensive and black rather than having to match paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is it that some Z06's come with front spoilers and some don't?

Old 12-26-2005, 02:37 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIAN60x
I might as well order mine now. I cant tell unless the car is on a lift, but mine is pretty scrapped up. I am getting better with experiance, I try to hit driveways from an angle now rather than straight on. Glad to hear that the part is inexpensive and black rather than having to match paint.
Get a sanding block from the hardware store, and tidy up the bottom edge of the lip whenever needed. I carry one in the storage bin in the back. Then, every year or two, when you've sanded away a lot of it, get a new one and start over. You can be as careful as you want, but that ***** will still contact the ground when you exit a steep driveway. No sense waiting money on countless new lips just to scrape them again. By the way, the list may be around $100, but they should be a lot cheaper from the Forum GM parts vendors.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:40 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but who did it? My car had three miles on the speedo if my memory serves me right. I know the dealer did not touch a thing.
it was either the factory, the shipper, or the dealer. if you are sure about the dealer (and i would double check with them), then i think the most likely thing is someone at the factory goofed and put it on.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:41 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My splitter was in the back of my car and when they cleaned the car up to present to me, they had already installed it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why is it that some Z06's come with front spoilers and some don't?