Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How To: build a quieter C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:35 PM
treynor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAXN8R
For us die-hard performance at all cost enthusiasts, do you think you could get an estimate on the weight of the materials used? It would be nice to see what the trade off/weight savings are. I can't imagine it would be much weight.

Corey
Absolutely -- I'm keeping a log of how much material I use, and will include that as part of the conclusions along with dB values at idle, cruise and WOT.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:20 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by treynor
Absolutely -- I'm keeping a log of how much material I use, and will include that as part of the conclusions along with dB values at idle, cruise and WOT.
Thanks!

Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM
royalcasa
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to show us this mod, I love my VY Z the way it is. but this is a mod that i was going to do. So Thanks again R8C Z06 Where are you geting the materials from?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Hartley
Instructor

Great post, I'm sure many Z06 owners will appreciate the time it's going to take to document.

One thing to be carefull of is the added thickness the sound absorbing materials will add. I once did the same thing on an old car. I ended up having difficulty putting the seats back in and they rubbed against the center console too. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 AM
PimpDadd
Racer

That's all for today - the above took me 3 hours working carefully, and would probably take 2 hours for a pro. Next, I'll document my soundproofing work and the results -- ETA, about a week.

So are you just going to let the car sit naked like that for a WEEK????
Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Treynor,

I watched you post that last night and after the third picture, realized you had a lot more to go. I have been waiting for a pause so I wouldn't interrupt you to tell you what a great illustrative job you've done.

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, weight. Please weigh the materials then weigh the leftover scraps and we'll have an idea of what went into the car. It's probably too late but did you take any sound measurements so that we can get a before and after? Otherwise this is all very subjective. Otherwise, good job on the documentation.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

I don't think all you "hard core" guys have anything to worry about weight - the full sound/heat setup from ExoticVette's for the Z06/Vert (front and rear) ships at about 4lbs.

You can probably cut back on a supersize every month and make up the weight
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
treynor
Pro

Originally Posted by robvuk
Yes, weight. Please weigh the materials then weigh the leftover scraps and we'll have an idea of what went into the car. It's probably too late but did you take any sound measurements so that we can get a before and after? Otherwise this is all very subjective. Otherwise, good job on the documentation.
Weighing, check. "Before" sound measurements, check.

Sheesh, what kind of a scientist do you think I am ?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weighing, check. "Before" sound measurements, check.

Sheesh, what kind of a scientist do you think I am ?
I'd say pretty damn good.

Good pictures and blow by blow account of your progress. Doing a complete job ... which is what is need to get good soundproofing success.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:39 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the pictorial. I know C5 guys have been doing this for years. I did the same to my 03 Z but used DynaMat Extreme. Just doing the rear added about 15 pounds to the car

Before

After

I'm doing the consol, floor and doors over the winter.

Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 PM
vetteman22
Pro

waiting for your next installment...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

treynor,

I did a full installation of Dynamat Xtreme on my C5Z. I applaud your attention to detail. Please include what your db measurements were, using what scale, at what highway speed (if you did this), type of road surface, etc.

If it is any encouragement, before @ 70mph on smooth asphalt, I measured ~81db's using the "A" scale. After, was 74-75db's. With rear partition (something I guess C6Z owners will have to do without) I measured 72-73db's.

I used 3 bulk packs of Xtreme so I probably added at least 50 pounds. The car is not a track car so no regrets. It sure is nicer to drive however.

Chuck
Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
treynor
Pro

Next installment coming tonight.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
vetteman22
Pro

looking forward to it! I have material ordered and waiting for it to arrive to start doing my car.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DT
I don't think all you "hard core" guys have anything to worry about weight - the full sound/heat setup from ExoticVette's for the Z06/Vert (front and rear) ships at about 4lbs.

You can probably cut back on a supersize every month and make up the weight
4 pounds or about 1/2 gallon of gas. Boy, will you slow the car down!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 AM
treynor
Pro

Damping material, section 1: driver's side

Procedure: clean surface with windex & towel, allow to dry. Use 1-2 sq ft pieces and don't worry about covering every last square inch. The important point: no air pockets under soundproofing. The 'proofing works by making contact with the underlying surface and damping vibrations like a shock absorber. Without contact, you're just adding weight. Cut curves / wrinkles / pockets aggressively with a box cutter in order to get thorough contact at all points.

Important soundproofing areas: firewall, forward tranny tunnel. Double layer on firewall, under existing soundproofing. Double layer on forward floor and tranny tunnel. Single layer under seat.

Get notified of new replies

To How To: build a quieter C6Z

Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 AM
treynor
Pro

Driver's seat area. Single layer under seat, dual or triple layer on sheetmetal behind seat (this is where most of the tire road noise comes from)

Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 AM
treynor
Pro

Passenger side - a major source of header noise!! It's easy to see why with the trim removed - the fusebox has no sound insulation behind it, and noise goes straight through! Work some small pieces of damping material onto the firewall behind the fusebox, and do several layers behind and on the tranny tunnel to the side. Otherwise, same drill as driver's side.

When complete, a cut-to-fit L-comp blanket extending up above fusebox should reduce noise pass-through.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:21 AM
treynor
Pro

The trunk is straightforward - the whole flat area and accessible wheelwells get a double layer. Be sure to work or cut the material as required to avoid air gaps in the uneven surfaces -- see pic for illustration. Every seam and contour should follow underlying trunk surface.

Same for wheel wells

Quick Reply: [Z06] How To: build a quieter C6Z