Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is an aluminum frame safe for the track??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 PM
mattsmallett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an aluminum frame safe for the track??

My major concern with the Z06 is that it has an aluminum frame. I've been told that unless the frame is seriously reinforced (lots of $'s), it is unsafe for track use. After all, the C5R frame, specifically built for racing with no real bugetary constraints, was built out of steel.

Comments from knowledgeable sources?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattsmallett
My major concern with the Z06 is that it has an aluminum frame. I've been told that unless the frame is seriously reinforced (lots of $'s), it is unsafe for track use. After all, the C5R frame, specifically built for racing with no real bugetary constraints, was built out of steel.

It should be no problem.....

The Aston Martins that run against the C6R have an aluminum frame.....
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Are you kidding, GM has tested the living SNOT out of the new Z06 under the hardest driving conditions on professional race tacks for 24 hours straight, with its best GM drivers abusing the Z and the car held up like a champ. The way the car is set up it is good to go all day long. Remove the roof or make it a removable aftermarket targa or add another 150HP, then you may have problems. Otherwise, drive it like you stole it and have the piece of mind that comes with the full bumper to bumper GM warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsmallett

The new aluminum frame is extreamly strong and light. Yes the frame will need to be reinforced to attach a roll cage for racing.

Under current world racing sanctioning orgainzations, FIA, ACO ( American Leman ) SCCA a cars frame must be made of steel. The roll cages must be made of steel. F1 is different, they are not production based cars.

The C5R and the C6R race cars used production steel frames off the Bowling Green lines. That was about the only production part in the race cars. The remainder of the car was built by Pratt & Miller for Chevy. The engines were / are build by Katech.

Give it some time and some engineers will figure it out, but the race sanction ppl may take a year to allow the new Z into any race series.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course GM is going to market a performance car that falls apart if you race it on a track. Yeah even Ralph Nader never thought they could be that dumb

Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 AM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default C6 Z06 Aluminum Frame and racing

Aluminum frame, Aluminum Unibody, and Aluminum Monocoque constructed cars have been racing safely since the '60's.

Currently cars like the Lotus Elise, with Aluminum frame and Aluminum welded body supports with integral roll structures are approved for production class racing.

However, the C6R is based on the C6, ie the C6 design and it's construction and parts were Homologated into Production Classes.

The reason The C6 Z06 with it's Aluminum frame is not yet approved for racing in a Production class is that it has not yet been Homologated. It can't be Homologated until it is actually produced.

The Homologation process for a production based class includes listing the final type of construction and all of it's parts including various regular production line options (RPO) that may be included on the car and possibly any factory "trunk" kits that may be available by special order (SPO). It also includes any aftermarket parts that may be added as Specified on the car's Tech Line.

The parts listing (down to every nut and bolt) is supplied to the FIA and sanctioning body(s) by the manufacturer and then verified by examining an actual production car.

Aluminum frame/unitized/monocoque construction additionally must be proven crash safe. If found deficient, then must be be modified and reinforced in a proscribed way to become Homologated and legal for racing in a Production class.

Homologation simply boils down the very basic requirements of all the different sanctioning bodies and tells the constructors and racers:
"In this form the car is safe."
It lists the basic construction and OEM parts and options and tells the sanctioning bodies and the racers:
"This is what the OEM car consists of."

It establishes the starting point for Production Class racing. Sanctioning bodies can then decide and impose additional requiremments. Including that the car must have a steel frame or not or how an Aluminum frame needs to be reinforced (if necessary).

But first the car must be produced.

I suspect the Aluminum frame C6 Z06 will be Homologated by January 2006. It will be approved by some sanctioning bodies and disallowed by others.
- For Steel Roll Cage/Roll Bar attatchment, gussetted Mounting Plates will have to be welded to the frame and then the cage/bar structure bolted to them or an approved exotic bi-metal welding technique used to weld the bars to the frame.
- further protection underneath the driver may be needed.

Homologation is derived from the Greek: HOMOLOGOS "to agree".
The term GTO is abbreviated for the Italian "Gran Turismo Omologato" or Grand Touring Homologated. Pontiac stole it from Ferrari. Ironically the GTO was never Homologated for racing... the new model might be.

Here is a small article that describes the Homologation process briefly:

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Homologation.html

Last edited by DJWorm; 07-05-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I might like to add:

The Porsche 917 had an Aluminum space frame in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The frame had such a penchant for cracks that they welded in bungs so that they could use compressed air to see if the frame had cracked. Several did ar LeMans during the 917 heydays (and elsewhere).

Aluminum is a 'white' metal and as such there is no way to operate it at such a stress level that it will never wear out. Steel is a 'grey' metal and if operated below 50% of its yeild strength will last indefinately.

However, new aluminum aloys with silicon and magnesium have all but eliminated stress failure for aluminum frames when operated are reasonable stress levels. The GM engineers are well aware of these metals and most likely used one and then overdesigned the chassis so that it operates at low stress levels even while operating at a race track!

Testing a frame for 24 hours on a race track shows almost nothing about the durability of the frame itself, while being a great testiment to the engine and driveline. I have over 500 hours of race track use on one of my race cars, 24 hours can be considered only a break in interval for a frame.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:47 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Default Two additional points:

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Aluminum is a 'white' metal and as such there is no way to operate it at such a stress level that it will never wear out. Steel is a 'grey' metal and if operated below 50% of its yeild strength will last indefinately.

However, new aluminum aloys with silicon and magnesium have all but eliminated stress failure for aluminum frames when operated are reasonable stress levels. The GM engineers are well aware of these metals and most likely used one and then overdesigned the chassis so that it operates at low stress levels even while operating at a race track!
1) Cars have been using aluminum-alloy pistons for a long time.
2) At a fatigue ratio of .35, and a max life of ~10,000,000 cycles, aluminum is perfectly predictable as an engineering material.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PushNut
1) Cars have been using aluminum-alloy pistons for a long time.
2) At a fatigue ratio of .35, and a max life of ~10,000,000 cycles, aluminum is perfectly predictable as an engineering material.
Pistons undergo a completely different type of stress (or more precisely, strain in the case of the frame). A car's frame is subjected to repetitive twisting and bending/sheering strains which the pistons do not have to deal with.

But I have no doubt the Corvette's frame will be engineered to deal with this; rather I think the question is how the aluminum structure of the C6ZO6 can be additionally reinforced to satisfy sanctioning bodies for the potential of impact and rollover in a racing environment. Since I plan on tracking one, I will be interested in seeing how this is resolved.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Default There are additional forces in the frame,

Originally Posted by rbeckham
Pistons undergo a completely different type of stress (or more precisely, strain in the case of the frame). A car's frame is subjected to repetitive twisting and bending/sheering strains which the pistons do not have to deal with.
I agree. A good spaceframe should only have pure tension and compression in the members, but the monocoque of a road car does also have twisting, bending and shearing forces.

A piston however, also see tension, compression and shear.

My point was, if aluminum alloys can survive such a demanding environment, surely the chassis demands can be met as well.

My main concern centers around collision repair...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

OK...

Is it possible to weld a roll cage to an aluminum frame?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_runner
OK...

Is it possible to weld a roll cage to an aluminum frame?
Yes but some type of chrome moly strap or plate around the frame will be needed to weld to. If people will do a search there are a few threads with SAE papers telling exactly what type of AL alloy was used. Bottom line: There are no worries.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...e&forum_id=100
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default SCCA says.....

I just spoke with Chief of Tech for Club racing at SCCA. There are 3 acceptable ways to attach a roll structure to an Aluminum framed car as I alluded to above:

1. Weld an appropriate thickness Aluminum Plate that is wider than the frame, to the top of the Aluminum frame rail. Drill holes in this plate to accept bolts (not into frame). Then bolt the roll structure to it, plate to plate.

| | < DOM Steel Roll bar
_|_|_ < Steel mounting plate welded to roll bar & bolted to Al plate
_____ < Aluminum Plate welded & gussetted to Aluminum frame
[ ] < Aluminum Frame rail

2. Use a steel backing plate underneth the frame rail, again wider than the frame rail and bolt around the frame.

| | < DOM Steel Roll Bar
_|_|_ < Steel mounting plate welded to roll bar

[ ] < Aluminum Frame rail
_____ < Steel backing plate bolted to (around frame) roll bar plate

3. Weld steel roll bar mounting plate directly to Aluminum frame rail using exotic Bi-Metal welding technique.

Note: All sanctioning bodies DO NOT allow Aluminum roll structures on cars registered after 1972.
SCCA and most sanctioning bodies outlawed ERW Steel Tubing in Roll Structures as of January 2003.
Roll Structures MUST be made from DOM SAE Mild Steel 1010, 1020, 1025 or DOM Chrome Moly alloy SAE 4130.
SCCA Does not allow Titanium Roll Structures in Club racing.
FIA, AMLS, SCCA Pro Racing (Speed WC), SCCA Club Racing all have strict and similar rules (GCR's).
SCCA Time Trials are less strict but have recently been upgraded to be close to GCR standards.
SCCA Solo II and NHRA rules are the least strict for Production based cars.

Caveat: Any other roll structure, material type, construction, or attatchment, can be approved on a case by case basis but it is the racers responsibility to PROVE that the structure is crash worthy and exceeds the minimum requirements.

One should always consult the sanctioning body rules and requirements before purchasing and installing a roll structure.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

The SCCA is making the SpeedGT car not run the aluminum frame. They're all C5's with C6Z06 body panels.

They also can't run the 7.0L engine.

Many of the Corvette drivers hang out in the racing section

Lou was on the pole at Lime Rock.

Unfortunately he got caught up in some oil on the track.
Here's his race report
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...61&forum_id=23
Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default Correctomundo

Speed GT (SCCA Pro Racing) will not consider allowing the C6 Z06 Aluminum frame until the car is Homologated. It can't be Homologated until it is actually produced and sold as a Production Car. It then may (or may not) be approved for 2006 or the followintg year competition (2007).

In addition "A car can be declared eligible only in the year of it's production and after." ie an 06 Z06 or the 427 LS7 can not be eligible in 2005.

Lou's and others cars are based on the steel framed C6 as is the C6R.

The racing body panels you currently see are Glass and CF panels modeled after the C6R for the C6. Stacey Hitt at ACP is developing similar C6 Z06 panels but they are not quite available yet.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:40 PM
TOPGON
Racer

The point most have missed is the same GM not really trained "technicians " will be working on an aluminum frame in the sevice centers whenever they need to and replacing the specified fasteners with the any bolts they can grab. The aluminum frame is the achilles heal of the new ZO6 even though many Zealots are somehow obligated to say it ain't so. This is a new league in high tech sports car maintenance and the general is far from ready in the back shops.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:26 AM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default Not necessarily

My local Cadillac/Audi Dealer in a consortium with the local Mercedes Benz/Saab/Lexus/Acura Dealer in Erie, Pa. is one of the best body shop/frame repair shops in the NE. They have been working with the all Aluminum frame/Aluminum Uni Body Audi's for years with no problem.

The Aluminum Frame / Aluminum Unibody cars go on the same frame straightening machine as the Steel Frame / Steel Unibody cars do.

They have told me the only real difference is that if a frame section has to be replaced then the welder must be adept in welding Aluminum...which is not a hard additional technique to learn.

Otherwise everything is the same.

I think what some have worried about is that for a given incedent the Aluminum frame might suffer more damage than a steel one....however previous post have shown that the Aluminum Hydroformed frame is just as strong and has in fact better stiffness and harmonics than a steel one.

Not to worry.

Get notified of new replies

To Is an aluminum frame safe for the track??

Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC &amp;amp;amp; SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I would assume then

that the Carbon Fiber roll bars have not been approved either.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok, I'm just gonna post Runge_Kutta's SAE post:

I thought I'd do several things simultaneously; mention some content of several
of the SAE papers presented at the recent 2005 SAE World Congress related to C6
including some interpretive remarks and mention some things that I'd like to see
one day.

1) Spread the aluminum frame across the entire C6 line. For that matter,
start designing SUVs with hydroformed aluminum frames. Just as most
engine blocks and heads are aluminum these days, we need a shift from
steel to aluminum frames. The aluminum C6 frame was mandated to drop 56kg
from it's steel C5 cousin. They got 62kgs out of it (down to 124.6kg). For some
reason, they INTENTIONALLY chose to not match the frame deflections of the
C6 steel frame but rather trimmed off 10kg instead. As is, deflections of
the aluminum frame without the magnesium roof structure are within 5% of
those for the steel frame. Apparently, the frame enters the Bowling Green
plant at 285 pounds and is 140 pounds lighter than the C6 steel frame.
(some of the numbers here are slightly inconsistent between papers)

[Imagine you have a coupe with the roof out. Measure the distance from
where the roof piece touches the windshield to where it touches the
corresponding back location where the roof piece mounts. I would
guess it's about 24-30 inches. Now put 2 400 pound guys in the car and
repeat that measurement. The frame will have bent (elastically) a slight
amount and the distance will be ever so slightly less. The difference in
the measurements is the deflection. In essence, if the steel frame were
to deflect 1 millimeter, the aluminum frame will deflect 1.05 millimeters.
That's basically what the mean by having matched the steel frame's deflection
to within 5%.]

By the way, the contract to Dana for the first year is 7000 frames. Also,
the side rails are not AA5754 but AA6063-T5 (4 mm). AA6063-T5 has a higher
yield strength but LOWER fatigue strength (at 10^7 cycles). My read on this is
that the vast majority of cycles are well below the fatigue strength of AA6063-T5
and a 5-10% loss in fatigue strength was worth the increased yield strength.
This increased yield strength probably helped the weight loss (AA6xxx alloys
help weight loss more than AA5xxx alloys):

http://msl1.mit.edu/msl/meeting_041...onstantine.pdf/ (page 12)

http://www.autoaluminum.org/downloads/corpub.pdf (See tables 2 and 6 in Appendix
______A. Fatigue strength correlates with ultimate tensile strength in these alloys)

It looks like the choice of materials also had to do with managing crash energy.

Ultimately, there are thresholds for both deflections and first mode frequencies.
Meeting these values may require putting back 10kg of aluminum alloy mass but I
doubt it. By the way, again, the aluminum frame used a good bit of tooling
that is used for the steel frame. Extrusions (21) were made from AA6063-T5,T6 and
AA6061-T6 (54% by mass) while sheet metal panels/stampings (63) used AA5754-O
(36% by mass) and castings (8) used A356-T6 (10% by mass). My read on this 10kg
issue is that in designing the steel C6 frame, some compromises were made to allow
a more optimal aluminum frame design (optimal designs for each frame material
would result in very different frame details). I think the steel C6 frame
is a bit overdesigned for not just the coupe but the convertible also. Besides,
GM can ill afford to be in the business of boutique aluminum frames. Hib Halverson
and a banned member (WhiteIce, BlackIce, CFour, C4FantaC, etc.) said, a year ago,
that the aluminum frame goes across the C6 line in MY2007. The GM engineer I spoke
with about the frame apologized for having to be so vague about the frame details.
A few other tidbits. The final Z06 frame including the magnesium roof structure
is 97% as stiff (frequencies not force per unit displacement or moment per unit
angular rotation) as the steel C6 frame. It appears that the fixed magnesium roof
structure increased the first mode frequencies by about 4%. As an interesting aside,
if the frame weighs 285 pounds and 54% of the mass is extrusions and most of
the mass in extrusions is included in the two side frame rails, then the two side
rails weigh about 154 pounds. Therefore, each likely weighs about 75 pounds or so.

For a bit of history, Dana was given a contract by GM for work on this aluminum
frame back in October 1999. Concurrently, within GM there were some early
publications and patents heading in this direction.

[September 24, 1996]

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=PN/5,557,961

and a closely related SAE paper [September 1999]

http://www.sae.org/servlets/product...CD=1999-01-3180

I don't know when ALCOA was brought into the process but it appears to
have done the initial design of the frame. One of the key design goals
of this frame is that the new aluminum frame must be integrated into
the C6 assembly process with minimal disruption, i.e. seemless integration.
All interfaces must match the steel frame.

Another thing to remember here is that the loss in stiffness of the frame when
it is built up into a full C5 or C6 is influenced by the stiffness of the
subsystems for the vehicle (C6 has a stiffer rear composite structure) as well
as the the mass caught up in the front and rear overhangs. C6 loses less stiffness
than C5 upon building the full vehicle. (The frame doesn't really lose stiffness.
The first mode frequencies of the frame are generally much higher than the
full vehicle because of all of the stuff now attached to the frame. It is this
difference to which I refer.)

The frequencies that were mentioned by DETLTU were a bit misleading.
The numbers 22.9Hz (bending) and 28.3Hz (torsion) were the program objectives
but the final numbers were 4% higher. Also, these numbers were not for the
frame alone. The are the frame, the entire roof, the windshield, the entire
rear of the car behind the driver minus the drivetrain, and parts of the front
fenders. That is my best guess from the picture. DETLTU also gave some numbers
for the steel frame but I see no mention of them anywhere.

Compare this with the SUV frame Ford studied in SAE 2003-01-0572

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/050303.html (scroll down 90% )
http://www.sae.org/servlets/product...CD=2003-01-0572

They got a 44% weight reduction if they had dimensional freedom but
only 20% if they did not. GM got 140/(285+140)= 32.9% with a 5% increase
in deflections at the roof and an essentially interchangable part. Also,
the "steel" C6 frame, I thought, already had a few aluminum parts, unlike
the C5 frame.

I predict C7 uses largely this same aluminum frame but the side rails will
be enlarged 20% or so in cross-section to take full advantage of the
aluminum. There may be a simple way to get some carbon fiber into this frame.

See:

2005-01-0095 : Crashworthiness of High and Low Pressure Hydroformed Straight Section Aluminum Tubes
2005-01-0465 : 2006 Corvette Z06 Aluminum Frame
2005-01-0466 : 2006 Corvette Z06 Aluminum Frame Engineering and Design Technologies
2005-01-0467 : Design Enhancement of the Rear Composite Structures for the 2005 - 6th
______________Generation - Corvette
2005-01-0470 : 2006 Corvette Z06 Aluminum Frame Manufacturing Technologies
2005-01-1392 : Aluminum Tube Hydroforming: Formability and Mechanical Properties
2005-01-1388 : The Warm Ductility of Commercial Aluminum Sheet Alloys

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

2) Since titanium is still rather expensive and the new process technologies
like FFC don't appear to have reduced the prices yet, big pieces seem out
of the question and magnesium usage needs to increase rapidly. Both C6 crossmembers
should be converted to AE44 (a magnesium alloy used in the Z06 front crossmember).
The slight increase in NHV [Noise, Vibration,& Harshness], the one undesirable
result, is quite likely a nonissue with most C6 owners.

http://www.sae.org/automag/material...1-113-4-106.pdf ( Page 4 )

Other places to use it are:

Interior: Instrument Panel, Seat Components, Trim Plate
Body: Inner Door, Door and Roof Frame, Sunroof Panel, Bumper Beam,
___Radiator Support, A and B Pillars, Inner Decklid/Hood, Outer Hood/Fender,
___Outer Door, Dash Panel, Frame Rail.
Chassis: Wheels, Engine Cradle, Subframe, Control Arm.

That rear crossmember is likely to be worth nearly the same mass savings as
the front (5.5 kg = 12.1 lbs). The front crossmember/engine cradle is the
first production part from the USCAR team (fast-tracked).

http://www.uscar.org/Media/releases/castmagnesium.html

It may be too early for them to also have a rear crossmember for any C6
model.

See:

2005-01-0337 : Magnesium Engine Cradle - The USCAR Structural Cast Magnesium Development Project
2005-01-0340 : Development of the 2006 Corvette Z06 Structural Cast Magnesium Crossmember
2005-01-0734 : Wrought Magnesium Alloys and Manufacturing Processes for Automotive Applications

Still, I'd certainly be willing to pay extra for a titanium exhaust or titanium half-shafts.

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/imap/Fi...20in%20Auto.pdf

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

3) What's the holdup with the polycarbonate rear hatch? The Mercedes C230 Sports
Coupe hatch-back is already using Exatec's polycarbonate technology.

http://www.apreport.com/pub/intervi...s/184151-1.html

The current one in the coupe and Z06 weighs 23.08 pounds. There is
11 pounds of high Cg mass to shed.

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ing+automotive+

4) The LS2 needs an analog to the LS7 heads. Keep the titanium valve springs
but use steel valves if they must. Drop the lift from 0.591 a bit and they'll still
easily outflow the current LS2 heads. By the way, an LS2 sure is cheap ($5495):

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120...ne-Assembly.htm

Now that the 4L65-E is history and the number of 400+hp cars grows, it's time
for more juice out of the LS2. It would help base model owners worry about
a new Carrera S, a 6.L Hemi, or a GT500 a bit less.

5) Put the Z06 CHMSL on all C6's. It reduced lift of the Z06 by 79 pounds at
186 mph. The Cd for the 2006 Z06 is 0.342, this is identical to the value
for the 2004 Z06. At 186 mph, the 2006 Z06 has 1337 pounds LESS lift than
the 2004 Z06. The lift experienced by the car is very symmetrical relative
to the front and back of the car. Front brake cooling flow on the 2006 Z06 is
400% more than the 2005 model. Rear cooling flow is 200% of the 2004 Z06. The 2006
Z06 is 15mm lower than the 2005 C6 (0.60 inches).

See:
2005-01-1943 : 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZO6 Aerodynamic Development

6) The sulfur is almost out of the gasoline (30ppm by 01Jan06 in all but
several small regions like Montana and Idaho). It's time for LS7-type
heads with high pressure, direct, side injection. Speaking of DI, where
are the 3V heads with Orbital's low pressure, air-assist, central injection??
01Jan06 is 8 months away.

http://www.orbitalcorp.com.au/orbit.../dioverview.htm
http://www.orbitalcorp.com.au/orbit.../automotive.htm
http://www.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2003-01-0062.pdf

7) At the risk of dropping the mileage into gas guzzler territory, put
a 6L90-E behind the LS7 as an option. If the engine has DI then there will
be no gas guzzler issue. It'll never happen but it would be a great car
to own.

8) It looks like the 6L80-E is about 34 pounds heavier than the 4L65-E. I
wonder if GM is going to try to offset this gain by dropping 34 pounds
out of the rear of the car for 2006. The rear hatch is a good place to get a third
of that back. Next, use the Z06 floor panels for another 6.22 pounds. A magnesium
rear crossmember would be worth about 12 lbs more.

9) If there is going to be some MY2007 or MY2008 C6 that fits the description
given for the Blue Devil then front end weight addition will be a concern. As
I see it, you can turbocharge it, supercharge it, run a 3V design, or add
direct injection. Depending on how lean you want to run your DI will dictate
how much after treatment is needed. Still, I bet a 3V DI engine or even a
2V DI engine can get the 7.0L engine to over 600 hp with minimal weight
increases and still not get hit with the gas guzzler tax.

10) The Milford Road Course was designed based on an assessment of the more
favorite features of:

Grattan Raceway, Virginia International Raceway, Spring Mountain Motorsports
ranch, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Watkins Glen International, Road Atlanta,
Putnam Park Road Course, Mosport International Raceway, Sebring International
Raceway, Gingerman Raceway, Road America, and Nurburgring Nordschleife.

2005-01-0385 : Design of the Milford Road Course

describes this course in detail including the 18 turns and several alternate
courses. While they do not use the phrase "toilet bowl," I assume this
refers to turn 6. This turn resembles the Karussell turn at Nurburgring.

As best as I can tell from these papers, the carbon fiber fenders saved
3.03kg - 1.20kg = 1.83kg each (this may be a subset of the full fender
as the paper also states that the weight loss is 3kg per fender), the
front wheelhouse outer panels saved 0.73kg each, and the floor panels
saved 4.74kg - 3.33 kg = 1.41kg each. From earlier papers, the 2004
Z06 hood saved 7.9kg (or 56%) over the regular C5 hood. Just like the
aluminum frame articles, the production goal is 7000 cars per year.
The fenders are made by Vermont Composites Inc.

http://www.vtcomposites.com/performance-automotive.htm

The floor panels are made by

http://www.mfgresearch.com/intranet.htm

By the way, one kilogram equals 2.204622 pounds-mass. If the production
capacity is there and the price differential is minimal then the floor
panels could be put in the coupe and convertible to save 2.82kg=6.22 pounds.
It is clear from many different articles that the emphasis was on front end
weight loss. I wouldn't be surprised to see a CF hood on the Z06 soon.

2005-01-0468 : 2006 Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Fender Engineering, Design and Material
Selection Considerations
2005-01-0469 : 2006 Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Structural Composite Panels Design, Manufacturing
and Material Development Considerations

12) I copied these also but I don't have much to say about them. The DI
paper is about 4V engines.

2005-01-1854 : The Supercharged Northstar DOHC 4.4L V8 Engine for Cadillac
2005-01-1937 : Combustion Characteristics of a Spray-Guided Direct-Injection
_____ Stratified-Charge Engine with a High-Squish Piston

Papers on the Northstar engine (3) are much nicer papers than the rest. The authors
spend much more time on them.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:16 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Lotys of good reading material:: thanks!

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Front brake cooling flow on the 2006 Z06 is
400% more than the 2005 model. Rear cooling flow is 200% of the 2004 Z06. The 2006
Good news indeed!

Speaking of DI, where are the 3V heads?
They seem to be on the Mustangs......

Last edited by MitchAlsup; 07-07-2005 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is an aluminum frame safe for the track??