Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Corvette owner satisfied.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Default Corvette owner satisfied.

Reading some other threads has made me wonder if my Corvette experiences a unique. I've owned an '84,'87,'95 and an '02 and have never had one problem with any of them. Never had any warranty work or non covered repairs. Oil changes and brakes-thats it. Was I lucky?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM
fgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it! Finally a thread for the guys who are happy with their Corvettes.

No you're not unique. I've owned three with like results. A 96 coupe, 2001 Roadster, and my current 04 Z.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM
hlv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a 85 and a 05 and I never have had a prob that amounted to anything.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:43 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Reading some other threads has made me wonder if my Corvette experiences a unique. I've owned an '84,'87,'95 and an '02 and have never had one problem with any of them. Never had any warranty work or non covered repairs. Oil changes and brakes-thats it. Was I lucky?
I would say that you guys are in the minority. almost everyone in my club 60-70 have had some issues, usually minor. I've several issues (a/c compressor, fuse block,seat issues) but I just get them fixed and still love the car. Same for most of club members
Old 06-16-2005, 02:01 PM
JJB500
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You were lucky! I had a 77 (POS), a 85 it spent less time in the shop, but not much less! My 92 only had 1 problem covered by warranty, but took a few visits to fix. A 94 ZR-1 had two problems which the brilliant GM techs could only fix one, after multiple visits also! Carmine from the Vette Doctors fixed the other. My 02Z was problem free, except for the battery.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted my issues of quality on a post that has been closed "Will the C6 Z06?". However, to answer your question just take a look at C5 Z06 forum and answer your own question. I am sure other issues are addressed on other forums.

A quick scan produced the following; some repeating some not..

ABS Light
A/C trouble
2001 Oil Consumption (two threads)
Car wont start
Excessive coolant use
Down Shift Tire Chirp
Sticky Clutch

I have owned an 89 Conv, 95 & 04 Z06. I have loved each one in its own special way. My 95 was completely headache free, The 89 was the most hedaches and my 04 Z06 was 80% quality and 20% serious - but a fantastic car overall.

I will always buy corvettes and I will always push the General to build a better car. When I spend my money, I have every right to express my opinion to GM. My biggest beef with corvettes is not the car itself but with GM's lack of ability to train its dealer network.

I am old enough to remember how the dealers treated a corvette customer during the C2 & early C3 era in contrast to the way they do it today. I live in Los Angeles and would say that overall the service departments here suck. I did go in with a buddy of mine when he took his viper in and they rolled out the red carpet.

Over and out!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

My 99 has been to dealer over 30 times in the 3 years under warranty.
-> lots of minor stuff - like sensors, etc

My 03 has been to dealer ~ 9 times in the last 2 years.
Also, mostly minor stuff.
But starter went out in the first three month of ownership.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:38 PM
resmith23
Instructor

Default Lucky?

I'd bet you are a typical Corvette owner. The disgruntled owners are in the vast minority, but make more noise than the rest of us. I feel that normally driven Corvettes are as durable, long lasting and trouble free as any car you can buy. If you race or dog it often, you are bound to spend much more money on repairs and maintenance. I think many people, that fall into that category, post on this site. They confirm this when they talk about needing tires or brakes in 5K miles or complain about burnt clutches and excessive oil consumption. Think how much work must be performed often real race cars that are actually designed for such abuse. Although the standard Corvette is a great performer, I feel it was designed more to be an everyday car than a race car. I'd say get a Z06 if you plan to race a lot, because it is designed and built more for it. Even then, racing Z06's will require a lot more repairs and maintenance.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

I've had two Corvettes both C5's I think they are great cars and mucho fun to show and drive, hopefully a new C6-Z06 is in my near future...
Old 06-16-2005, 03:13 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Still I don't think that vettes are known for their quality.

Look it up on JDpower and they get ratings of two-three stars on

Mechanical Quality ***

Body & Interior Quality **

Overall Quality ***
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 PM
fgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by resmith23
I'd bet you are a typical Corvette owner. The disgruntled owners are in the vast minority, but make more noise than the rest of us. I feel that normally driven Corvettes are as durable, long lasting and trouble free as any car you can buy. If you race or dog it often, you are bound to spend much more money on repairs and maintenance. I think many people, that fall into that category, post on this site. They confirm this when they talk about needing tires or brakes in 5K miles or complain about burnt clutches and excessive oil consumption. Think how much work must be performed often real race cars that are actually designed for such abuse. Although the standard Corvette is a great performer, I feel it was designed more to be an everyday car than a race car. I'd say get a Z06 if you plan to race a lot, because it is designed and built more for it. Even then, racing Z06's will require a lot more repairs and maintenance.

BTW - JD Powers gave the corvette it's award for best in initial quality.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:03 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fgordon

BTW - JD Powers gave the corvette it's award for best in initial quality.
Maybe initially. Now it is rated at mediocre three stars.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there anyway to look up all the TSB's on the C5?

Like for the oil consumption issues, and the clutch/slave, and the transmission, etc.

Oh yeah, and the recall for the column lock...or was that officially just a "campaign"?

Yes I love my C5 for it's performance but I hate it for it's lack of reliability. Those that don't have problems don't drive them hard.

I find it incredible that a $45k car can burn oil, have the clutch stick to the floor, and strand drivers (or worse) by having the steering column lock, and now that it's a $70k car no one seems to remember these issues.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 06-16-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:56 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

02 Z06 with 10,000 miles and my only problem was a headlight motor. I also had the gas guage drop to E once but I have added Techron to my tank and I am hoping that will resolve it (fingers crossed). Knock on wood.

Now finding a good dealer for service, THATS A PROBLEM.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by agentf1
02 Z06 with 10,000 miles and my only problem was a headlight motor. I also had the gas guage drop to E once but I have added Techron to my tank and I am hoping that will resolve it (fingers crossed). Knock on wood.
Nah, from my experience - one it does it - you have to replace the sensor! Big $ job.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:16 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Is there anyway to look up all the TSB's on the C5?

Like for the oil consumption issues, and the clutch/slave, and the transmission, etc.

Oh yeah, and the recall for the column lock...or was that officially just a "campaign"?

Yes I love my C5 for it's performance but I hate it for it's lack of reliability. Those that don't have problems don't drive them hard.

I find it incredible that a $45k car can burn oil, have the clutch stick to the floor, and strand drivers (or worse) by having the steering column lock, and now that it's a $70k car no one seems to remember these issues.
Well said and precisely why I strated the now locked thread "Will the new Z06?".....
Old 06-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Me thinks the people who complain the most are the people who abuse their cars, and are lucky to still have a warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette owner satisfied.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 PM
VolFan615
Yellow C3/C5
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

My 02 Z06 had about 38000 miles when I returned it. I drove it hard, raced a few times on the roadcourse. I took meticulous care of the car. Not a single problem. I've had similar experiences with a 97 Z28 (110000 miles), 2000 S-10 (65000 miles). Currently, a 2003 Silverado LT (51000 miles). I can't recall a problem. The ones with problems are unlucky, guys with no or little problems with their cars, are more typical imo. However, I do believe starting in the 90s, GM vehicles started to get MUCH better. In the 80s, they were truly POS. Also, don't forget, the happy ones usually don't sing about it, but the unlucky owners always bitch all the time, and rightfully so, and thus making problems appear to be larger and more widespread than they actually are. Nowadays, my new car purchase is almost always American, unless a foreign car is vastly superior in me criteria. In other words, foreign cars have to work much harder to earn my $, I give preference to American cars.

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 06-16-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Rapid Transit]My 02 Z06 had about 38000 miles when I returned it. I drove it hard, raced a few times on the roadcourse. I took meticulous care of the car. Not a single problem. I've had similar experiences with a 97 Z28 (110000 miles), 2000 S-10 (65000 miles). Currently, a 2003 Silverado LT (51000 miles). I can't recall a problem. The ones with problems are unlucky, guys with no or little problems with their cars, are more typical imo. However, I do believe starting in the 90s, GM vehicles started to get MUCH better. In the 80s, they were truly POS. Also, don't forget, the happy ones usually don't sing about it, but the unlucky owners always bitch all the time, and rightfully so, and thus making problems appear to be larger and more widespread than they actually are. Nowadays, my new car purchase is almost always American, unless a foreign car is vastly superior in me criteria. In other words, foreign cars have to work much harder to earn my $, I give preference to American cars.[QUOTE]
My new Z will be my first vette, but I drive an 02 SS 35th ann. special edition 345 hp. Awesome car, great performance, 0 problems. My '99 silverado Z-71, 128000 regular maintenance, no problems,97 trans am no problems,'96 Z71 225000 1alternator, regular maintenance. Do we see a pattern here? You can do ANY job right a thousand times...but make one mistake.......I buy GM ONLY! For good reason.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Corvette owner satisfied.