Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help on whether to buy Z06 or Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
spicoli25
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on whether to buy Z06 or Porsche

Hey guys been a while since I posted last. I currently have the #1 spot at Reedman-Toll for the new Z06 but I am still undecided whether to purchase it or not. I was thinking about buying a 2003-2004 Porsche Turbo Carerra. I havent driven the porsche yet. I know the Z06 will most likely be unbelievable but how practical? The Porsche can be used all the time. Have any of you driven or own a Carerra Turbo?

Price wise which car do you think will be worth more money in 2 years with less deprecition.

I have a 2002 Vert and plan on keeping that car since it is paid off.

Also if I choose not to buy the Z06 do you guys think I could sell the #1 spot on Ebay and make a few bucks on it.

Some thoughts would be great.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I've owned both, you need to drive both because they feel very different , test numbers aside. The Corvette is relaxed and rumbly until it gathers itself after stomping the throttle or turning the wheel. The Turbo is always " wound up " and " humms " along .

Since Turbos are wholesaling in the $60s-70s for 2001-2002 ( orig MSRP in the 120s ) and avail for extended warranty from dealers, you can buy one for the mid 70S with warranty if a good shopper and negotiator. They will depreciate very little at these prices vs a new Z06 .
Old 06-16-2005, 12:19 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Since I've owned both, you need to drive both because they feel very different , test numbers aside. The Corvette is relaxed and rumbly until it gathers itself after stomping the throttle or turning the wheel. The Turbo is always " wound up " and " humms " along .

Since Turbos are wholesaling in the $60s-70s for 2001-2002 ( orig MSRP in the 120s ) and avail for extended warranty from dealers, you can buy one for the mid 70S with warranty if a good shopper and negotiator. They will depreciate very little at these prices vs a new Z06 .
I don't own a Turbo but have an allocation for an 06' 997 "S" this fall, in the meantime I have been actively shopping for a 996 Turbo or GT3. IMO they feel much more connected and more lively to drive than the Vette and the Turbo's hold their value very well, unless you buy them new. I was very interested in the ZO6 but for 80K OTD I'm sticking with the Porsche for now, but never say never. You could always take the ZO6 and flip it, I beleive the first few months will definetly see premium pricing if you are buying at MSRP.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're comparing $70k for a new Vette vs. $70k for a used anything, the Vette will lose more value. Just the nature of the world. New for new and the depreciation is about the same percentage wise. Just a matter of which car excites you more. A used TT or a new Z06 will be quite different. I don't imagine the new Z06 to be any less drivable than a base C6. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

That is a tough one. One I've been pondering myself. The Porsche Turbo has always been my realistic dream car, but the performance of the Z06 will be killer. I haven't seen a new Z06 yet, but going by a base C6, I think the Porsche is a better looking car and has a certain appeal that no Corvette can. But then again, that damn Z06 is gonna be fast as all hell! Like I said, that's a tough one.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Udaman
Instructor

Read this, I wrote it on another thread, maybe it will help. Good luck with your decision.

I hate to say it, but I told you so. Look at my responses on previous threads. I wrote, "I would find it hard to believe if they came in under 60K, hell under 70K" and I was right. The guys on this forum anticipating a price of 57,995, 59,995 were dreaming.

I got my *** chewed out by the know-it-alls, but once again logic prevailed. How anyone could think that a car with that cutting edge technology and performance, would go for under 70K out the door is a pipe dream. And remember, greedy dealers will mark them up at least 5 grand and your looking at mid-seventies. I've got to tell you guys, I considered doing it, but I just can't.

Do get mad, but I bought one of the last 2005 GT3's left in the country and I am having it trailered up here from Florida. All the bells and whistles, ceramic brakes, black full leather with red stitching, red gauges, beautiful. Was is it a lot more money? Yes. Do I feel bad about it? No. Maybe we are programed to believe Porsche is just a better product. Remember the movie risky business? "Porsche, there is no substitute." Powerful stuff when your 19 years old. Maybe it's true. Is it as fast as the vette, straight line, probably not. Cornering, build quality, ride, resale, exclusivity, service, they all played a part in my decision. Is the GT3 plenty fast, you bet.

A friend of mine owns two vettes, (one vert 05, one 04 Z06) along with a Ferrarri 360, a Turbo S, and a slew of other cars, (the guy is a plastic surgeon) and he swears by the Porsche. That guy isn't hurting for cash and can buy what he wants. So he will tell you straight. I have driven his 04 Z06 and the difference was this, when I drove a used 2005 GT3, I couldn't sleep for two days until I found this new one in Florida. Huge difference. Are you in an exclusive club when you buy a GT3? Yes. Only 100 or so 2005 GT3's were shipped to North America. Are they building an 06 GT3? No. In 07? Yes, built under the 997 frame. Was I willing to wait? Hell no. What's the new Z06 going to be like? I don't know. None of us know, until somebody drops the first clutch.

Maybe I just didn't want to be the first one to take a chance on a 70K plus Chevrolet and the related issues that come with buying a Chevrolet. If I'm wrong, it'll be a learning experience, but I felt I couldn't go wrong with a car (the GT3) that is literally a race car built for the street. I guess it all boils down to what you can afford, or what your willing to spend. I had more than enough money, but just could not bring myself to do it. I'm not trying to make enemies here, I'm just trying to illustrate what a lot of people in my position may or may not do.

If your budget is under 75K, then your choices are limited. If you could go higher, would you? Probably, and the reason would probably be , "If I buy this Chevy that's it, I can't get my money back and add the other funds and go buy the Porsche." It's all or nothing. If I had the money, I would of bought them both, but they're aren't many of us that can do that either. I guess I'm trying to justify why I didn't go for a vette. I hope the vette proves me wrong, but I know whatever happens, the GT3 will not let me down. But even at 120K it still might, they're machines. They're not perfect, just like us.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli25
I was thinking about buying a 2003-2004 Porsche Turbo Carerra.

Price wise which car do you think will be worth more money in 2 years with less deprecition.

Also if I choose not to buy the Z06 do you guys think I could sell the #1 spot on Ebay and make a few bucks on it.
What your considering is not really apples to apples...at least on the price. I'm also considering the options before buying a $70k chevy. If a 03-04 Turbo was $70k I would do that, but there not they're like $100k. A pre-owned Porsche already has taken the intial depreciation hit so that should be a clue as to which will hold value more. Of course losing 10%/year on a $70k car vs. a $100k one factors in.

I don't think you will make much on Ebay selling a spot, however if you take delivery on the car and sell it on Ebay I'm sure there are people who have $$ and don't wait in line for anything.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
spicoli25
Racer

I have been thinking about a porsche for a while now. After this thread I will probably make up my mind. As for the GT3 I wont spend that much right now!

I am a dealer so I can go to Manheim and purchase a turbo porsche for cost. Market right now on on a 2003 is:

For Week Ending Jun 11
Above Average Below
Sale Price $97,521 $89,041 $80,561
Mileage 4,129 8,258 12,387

For 2002:
Above Average Below
Sale Price $83,319 $74,759 $66,199
Mileage 12,230 24,459 36,689

This favors me because I dont have to worry about the mark up on a used porsche.

I might do what you suggest in purchasing the Z06 and then immediately selling it or I could sell my #1 spot to the highest bidder on ebay.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:32 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I think it would be hard to find a used turbo at this price range.
If you can - more power to you.

Especially if this car is gonna be a weekend driver - since P-cars are expensive to maintain - but if you only drive it 5K/year - you'll be fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 PM
strato1958
Advanced

[QUOTE=Nat04Z06]That is a tough one. One I've been pondering myself. The Porsche Turbo has always been my realistic dream car, but the performance of the Z06 will be killer.

Unless your a very very good driver, you will never use the potential of eighter car. If you do, the police will take it from you!

I do believe the P-car will be the better purchase due to the fact that it is already severly depreciated.....996tt's were overproduced and have lost lots of value already. Now a 2001 is a strong buy. I also think the build quality is superior and the car will last longer and look better longer....
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
spicoli25
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterK
I think it would be hard to find a used turbo at this price range.
If you can - more power to you.

Especially if this car is gonna be a weekend driver - since P-cars are expensive to maintain - but if you only drive it 5K/year - you'll be fine.
I will be able to find a car at that price range because I am a dealer. The question still remains should I buy a used Porsche TT or a Z06 Corvette?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

I will be able to find a car at that price range because I am a dealer. The question still remains should I buy a used Porsche TT or a Z06 Corvette?
If you not gonna drive it too much - get a 911. That turbo version will hold its value like nothing else. Heck, low-miles 993 TT still go for up to 60K.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Udaman
Read this, I wrote it on another thread, maybe it will help. Good luck with your decision.

I hate to say it, but I told you so. Look at my responses on previous threads. I wrote, "I would find it hard to believe if they came in under 60K, hell under 70K" and I was right. The guys on this forum anticipating a price of 57,995, 59,995 were dreaming.

I got my *** chewed out by the know-it-alls, but once again logic prevailed. How anyone could think that a car with that cutting edge technology and performance, would go for under 70K out the door is a pipe dream. And remember, greedy dealers will mark them up at least 5 grand and your looking at mid-seventies. I've got to tell you guys, I considered doing it, but I just can't.

Do get mad, but I bought one of the last 2005 GT3's left in the country and I am having it trailered up here from Florida. All the bells and whistles, ceramic brakes, black full leather with red stitching, red gauges, beautiful. Was is it a lot more money? Yes. Do I feel bad about it? No. Maybe we are programed to believe Porsche is just a better product. Remember the movie risky business? "Porsche, there is no substitute." Powerful stuff when your 19 years old. Maybe it's true. Is it as fast as the vette, straight line, probably not. Cornering, build quality, ride, resale, exclusivity, service, they all played a part in my decision. Is the GT3 plenty fast, you bet.

A friend of mine owns two vettes, (one vert 05, one 04 Z06) along with a Ferrarri 360, a Turbo S, and a slew of other cars, (the guy is a plastic surgeon) and he swears by the Porsche. That guy isn't hurting for cash and can buy what he wants. So he will tell you straight. I have driven his 04 Z06 and the difference was this, when I drove a used 2005 GT3, I couldn't sleep for two days until I found this new one in Florida. Huge difference. Are you in an exclusive club when you buy a GT3? Yes. Only 100 or so 2005 GT3's were shipped to North America. Are they building an 06 GT3? No. In 07? Yes, built under the 997 frame. Was I willing to wait? Hell no. What's the new Z06 going to be like? I don't know. None of us know, until somebody drops the first clutch.

Maybe I just didn't want to be the first one to take a chance on a 70K plus Chevrolet and the related issues that come with buying a Chevrolet. If I'm wrong, it'll be a learning experience, but I felt I couldn't go wrong with a car (the GT3) that is literally a race car built for the street. I guess it all boils down to what you can afford, or what your willing to spend. I had more than enough money, but just could not bring myself to do it. I'm not trying to make enemies here, I'm just trying to illustrate what a lot of people in my position may or may not do.

If your budget is under 75K, then your choices are limited. If you could go higher, would you? Probably, and the reason would probably be , "If I buy this Chevy that's it, I can't get my money back and add the other funds and go buy the Porsche." It's all or nothing. If I had the money, I would of bought them both, but they're aren't many of us that can do that either. I guess I'm trying to justify why I didn't go for a vette. I hope the vette proves me wrong, but I know whatever happens, the GT3 will not let me down. But even at 120K it still might, they're machines. They're not perfect, just like us.
Now you got me wanting a GT3 .... let us know how it drives as soon as it arrives ... and you put it thru the paces.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Assume speed and looks are equal:

which interior do you like better?
which exterior finish and joints look tighter to you?

Hope this helps?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:07 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette

Hope this helps?
That wouldn't be a rhetorical question would it?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:33 PM
spicoli25
Racer

Originally Posted by V Vette

Hope this helps?
Now that doesnt help one bit. I like them both but which would be better for me I guess it comes down to. I already have a 02 vert so maybe I should go with a porsche next. I wont lose money on the prosche becuase I can always resell it. The Z06 I would lose money with in 6 months.

decisions.....decisions.....I could forget them both and buy a Ferrari 360 Modena!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

decisions.....decisions.....I could forget them both and buy a Ferrari 360 Modena!
Well, at least the P-car will be reliable

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on whether to buy Z06 or Porsche

Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Now that doesnt help one bit. I like them both but which would be better for me I guess it comes down to. I already have a 02 vert so maybe I should go with a porsche next. I wont lose money on the prosche becuase I can always resell it. The Z06 I would lose money with in 6 months.

Don't stop dreaming yet .... picture the ultimate ... the Porsche C. GT @ 500K.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Get the ferrari, every time you service the car they pull the motor... and it costs right at $10,000.OUCH! I think I will stick with the Z. I don't want to drive 80 miles to a porsche or ferrari dealer every time I need service. And I don't want spend $10,000 when I go there. Oh, Ive got a question , if they are so much better designed, why do they have to pull the motor on the ferrari and inspect and tighten all parts during regular service ? I am curious about that.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Udaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by bernrex
Now you got me wanting a GT3 .... let us know how it drives as soon as it arrives ... and you put it thru the paces.
I've done a lot of research the last few weeks on this subject. I guess you can tell from my fairly long response. What I found out is this. A 2003 Turbo with low miles, under 10K miles goes for about 90 to 95K. A 2004 goes for 100K to 110K with under 5k miles. The Turbo is a daily driver, a friend of mine owns one and his wife drives it to work daily (he's the plastic surgeon, she's an anesthesiologist) no money problems there. Her's is a 2005, yellow with a black interior with yellow stitching throughout. Porsche even makes yellow look good.

The GT3 is what I wrote in my earlier response, a race car. Some believe even though the GT3 has less horsepower, because the engine has an redline of 8100 rpm, it can out accelerate a Turbo. Both in straight line acceleration and definately cornering.

If it does beat it in straight line acceleration, it's probably not by much. Does it ride as nice as the Turbo? No. But the difference is not bad enough to make you forget about how much better the GT3 handles. It's all about what your looking for. I will only put 3 to 5K miles on mine a year. If I needed to drive it daily, it would of had an impact on my decision, but I must admit, I might not have done anything different.

Go on the Rennlist forum. Check out what they have for sale in their classified ads, autotrader and the dupont registery on line. They are all good sources of info. You can then really get a feel for what Porsches are selling for. If you send me your e-mail on a private message, I'll give you a full drivers report when it gets up here hopefully by June 28 or 29. I would write about it here, but I don't think that would go over too well. Remember, a lot of people will talk who have never driven or owned one, take their advice with a grain of salt. Good luck.

Last edited by Udaman; 06-16-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help on whether to buy Z06 or Porsche