Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Saw Red Z06 and got to sit in it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Saw Red Z06 and got to sit in it

I showed my new Lotus Elise and my Corvette C5 Convertable at the Georgia Tech car show last Saturday. This show was pretty small, I think the weather had an effect. I also went to a show on Saturday in north Atlanta. Both sets of photos can be seen here: http://www.ffcobra.com/april2005.htm

The Corvette team drove a red 2006 Z06 to the event and let people crawl all over it. Next to it was a new Ford GT in red/white. The Ford GT was driven by a Ga Tech Grad who works for Ford.

Here's some impressions.

1.) The hood scoop looks fake as can be, but when I said that, the girl driving the car got all upset and called BG to ask them. They said it is functional. But when I look through it, you see nothing but light. It's not a ram type scoop, but maybe it does direct some air into the intake. But I doubt it would add any HP.

2.) The Z06 had people all around it, but the Ford GT had very little. Here's what most people said. The Ford GT is being sold by dealers with huge market increases; as much as $100,000 to $200,000 over sticker. So for most people, the car is not even close to being affordable. So if you can't buy it, why look at it? The Z06 can be bought at MSRP.

3.) I'm number 16 on Maxie Prices' list for a Z06, but I am not that sure I want the car. It looks great, but too much like a stock C6 to me. And without the roof coming off, I have to weight the benefits of 100 extra HP vs buying a convertable. I have plenty of cars that are faster than the new Z06, but I was hoping it would really catch my breath and make me HAVE TO HAVE it. But it didn't do that for some reason. I really can't explain why. I need to wait until the MSRP is known to see if it is a value. If not, I'll wait until the 06 models come out and order a Vert.

4.) The seats are nice, but that gray trim has to go. Inside was just like a C6; very nice fit and finish for a pre-production car. The roof looks like it would come off. I checked out the trim inside pretty well and they used a very cheap piece of plastic to cover the roof. It looks like it would come off, but who knows? I assumed an aftermarket person will figure this out. I confirmed this with the girl from GM. She said someone may have already figured it out.

5.) The Ford GT's rear tires are 315's and the Vert's are 325's, but the Ford's looked much wider because of the body design and wheel design. The Vette looked pretty much like every other C6, but with some ricer scoops.

6.) The frame is painted black. It should be left silver like my Elise. Why hide the aluminum frame?

7.) It doesn't sound very loud. My C5 with a Corsa sounds better. I think it may have been tuned down or something?

8.) The sway bars are HUGE! The springs look like a C6, but you could clearly see how much bigger the sway bars are. With some Kumho 710's, this things going to pull more than 1.1's!

9.) Of course I asked about the MSRP and got the standard, "somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000". I told them that if it's over $60,000 they will lose customers to Porsche and Viper. They told me I would be happy with the price. So what does that mean?

10.) OK, call me stupid, but I didn't take a camera. I figured this would be a lame show and boy was I wrong. So I sent my cousin off to get a cheap camera. This pics are not great, but worth seeing. http://www.ffcobra.com/april2005.htm

- Bill
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

1.) The hood scoop looks fake as can be, but when I said that, the girl driving the car got all upset and called BG to ask them. They said it is functional. But when I look through it, you see nothing but light. It's not a ram type scoop, but maybe it does direct some air into the intake. But I doubt it would add any HP.
[I think Corvette Quarterly said that the scoop is to direct air into the engine compartment for cooling effect, not as a ram-air for horsepower per se]

2.) The Z06 had people all around it, but the Ford GT had very little. Here's what most people said. The Ford GT is being sold by dealers with huge market increases; as much as $100,000 to $200,000 over sticker. So for most people, the car is not even close to being affordable. So if you can't buy it, why look at it? The Z06 can be bought at MSRP.
[I saw both cars at the Los Angeles auto show, and the GT looked very weird to me. Lots more people around the Z06 for sure. I've no interest in a supercharged car, NA for me, that's why if I were somehow able to afford the GT, I'd sell it off for some $ and buy the F430 instead]

3.) I'm number 16 on Maxie Prices' list for a Z06, but I am not that sure I want the car. It looks great, but too much like a stock C6 to me. And without the roof coming off, I have to weight the benefits of 100 extra HP vs buying a convertable. I have plenty of cars that are faster than the new Z06, but I was hoping it would really catch my breath and make me HAVE TO HAVE it. But it didn't do that for some reason. I really can't explain why. I need to wait until the MSRP is known to see if it is a value. If not, I'll wait until the 06 models come out and order a Vert.
[You can order a vert right now, why wait? Also, as you know, the Z06 is MUCH more than just the extra 100 HP]

5.) The Ford GT's rear tires are 315's and the Vert's are 325's, but the Ford's looked much wider because of the body design and wheel design. The Vette looked pretty much like every other C6, but with some ricer scoops.
[Personally, the GT looks ugly, but that's just me]

6.) The frame is painted black. It should be left silver like my Elise. Why hide the aluminum frame?
[I didn't get to see this at the LA show]

7.) It doesn't sound very loud. My C5 with a Corsa sounds better. I think it may have been tuned down or something?
[The mufflers in the Z06 have mechanical valves inside that open up to allow straight pass of the exhaust above 3500 rpm, they say the sound is pure evil]

9.) Of course I asked about the MSRP and got the standard, "somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000". I told them that if it's over $60,000 they will lose customers to Porsche and Viper. They told me I would be happy with the price. So what does that mean?
[I'm #4 on Ross Downing in Louisiana, where I got my 02, so hopefully I'll get it before Christmas. UNLESS the price is not right, then I'll wait until next year for the fever to die down a bit and get some discount off MSRP]
Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Why wait for a Vert? Because of the ugly steering wheel, XM radio antenna, etc. For 2006, the vert will get the same steering wheel as the Z06 and the XM radio antenna will be in the mirrors.

- Bill
Old 04-07-2005, 12:51 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

interesting pic

which one is more popular?

Old 04-07-2005, 12:57 AM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

No doubt, the Z06 was the star! Ford's GT was not in the hunt for people's favorite!

- Bill
Old 04-07-2005, 03:54 AM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we both saw the same car. The day after the young lady was at your show, she stopped by our Corvette club's autocross school. That young lady sure did get around that weekend!

Nice job for a young intern don't you think?

Last edited by 96CELT4; 04-07-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by FFCobra

- Bill
Bill,

Interesting comment. After I saw the Velocity Yellow Z06 in Houston, I was more convinced than ever to go ahead with a purchase on a C6 Vert. I just did not like the look of the rear scoop and flares. They looked like they where added by some kids and not part of the design. Either way, those who buy it are going to get on heck of a machine!

Todd
Old 04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
265blue
Cruising

Default Gotta agree

I'm glad to see you and I feel the same way about the ZO-6.
I went to Atlanta two weeks ago to buy my new Viper. The production company that was running one of the upcoming auto shows (can't mention name or show) had a new silver ZO-6 and the '05 blk Viper
(that I bought) in the same big storage room close to each other. I
bleed Vette but the Viper looked great!! The ZO-6 looked okay but
too much just looked tacked on. The show was phasing out my Viper for the '06 Viper coupe and I just could not refuse the deal especially when I could see the two cars together. I removed my name from the ZO-6 waiting list here in Fla. I feel GM lost a good customer.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:08 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

No doubt, the Z06 was the star! Ford's GT was not in the hunt for people's favorite!

- Bill
Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy a car that you have to pay 100k over sticker price (that is to high to begin with) and think about it that extra money goes to the owner of the dealership
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by runamuk
Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy a car that you have to pay 100k over sticker price (that is to high to begin with) and think about it that extra money goes to the owner of the dealership

well i would if i had the money
Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Why wait for a Vert? Because of the ugly steering wheel, XM radio antenna, etc. For 2006, the vert will get the same steering wheel as the Z06 and the XM radio antenna will be in the mirrors.

- Bill
Thats a great IDEA to get the 2006 convertible!
Jim # 17 on maxie Prices list! If you do get # 16 I may meet ya!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

What was the red "race car"?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey FFCobra, this is CPT Cobra on that other forum!!!!!

One thing, I still don't understand why people decide for or against a Z06, especially this Z06 based on looks???????
Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

I love that pic of everyone gathering around the Z and nobody looking at the Ford. That is awesome!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,184 Likes on 665 Posts

Default Here is a pic from the intern that drove the Z06 down from the corvette plant . . .

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Old 04-09-2005, 12:51 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

that's a hot pic....time for new wallpaper.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
hlv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by curvesman
Thats a great IDEA to get the 2006 convertible!
Jim # 17 on maxie Prices list! If you do get # 16 I may meet ya!
And I'm 18 on the list , now I will be 17 . This is good news.

Get notified of new replies

To Saw Red Z06 and got to sit in it

Old 04-09-2005, 08:42 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by hlv
And I'm 18 on the list , now I will be 17 . This is good news.
Well I may get to meet you, HLV whats state are you from? What color are you getting? Hope to see ya in August!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:00 AM
OldZR-1Guy
Racer

1. The hood scoop, as I understand it, is to aid in cooling the engine bay. The car breathes through the front. It's also why they have the big side extractors, to move the air through and out.
2. I also can't imagine paying a suitcase full of dough for the Ford GT when they are going to stick the same engine in a $40K-$50K Mustang. Imagine what a little mild blower might do for a Z06.
3. I guess it's just personal choice but I think the car looks awesome, especially in silver. I also admit I don't get whole vert thing. I think I had the targa top off my ZR-1 three times during the eleven years I owned it and I hated every minute of it. There's always some kind of road debris blowing into the cockpit and I hate getting peppered by gravel and rocks from friggin semis. And I can't imagine driving at the speeds I did without a roof over my head, especially since I don't normally go cruising around with a helmet on. If I go upside down I want a lid. And not a canvas one.
6. Skipping ahead, it may be that because the engine cradle is magnesium they wanted a uniform look under the car, and so did it in black. Now I'm just guessin'. blah blah blah. Anyway, I wouldn't see it often enough to care.
7. The exhaust gets considerably louder above 3500 rpm when the flow through valves in the muffler pop open. Probably something you wouldn't hear from a car sitting and idling, or even revving a little.
9. Unfortunately, whatever the price is it's going to be out of my league. I think $60K is highly unlikely but maybe they'll surprise everybody.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 265blue
I'm glad to see you and I feel the same way about the ZO-6.
I went to Atlanta two weeks ago to buy my new Viper. The production company that was running one of the upcoming auto shows (can't mention name or show) had a new silver ZO-6 and the '05 blk Viper
(that I bought) in the same big storage room close to each other. I
bleed Vette but the Viper looked great!! The ZO-6 looked okay but
too much just looked tacked on. The show was phasing out my Viper for the '06 Viper coupe and I just could not refuse the deal especially when I could see the two cars together. I removed my name from the ZO-6 waiting list here in Fla. I feel GM lost a good customer.
It must have been a really good deal. You are the first one here to like the viper coup. I found it (v-coup) to be a real disappointment. It has too much 70's design in it for me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Saw Red Z06 and got to sit in it