C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oddball "cause" of Check Engine light... comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oddball "cause" of Check Engine light... comments?

To rehash, the Check Engine light came on in my C6 with about 10 miles on the odometer, then later that day I noticed that the cruise control wouldn't engage.

Mossy Chevrolet in Encinitas, CA told me that the cause was due to shifting into neutral without engaging the clutch and a subsequent decrease in vehicle speed of >35MPH.

While I may well have made such a shift from 6th to neutral while coasting up a freeway offramp, I really don't understand how this action would be tied to the Check Engine light, and why it would cause the light to remain on long after the incident.

The Mossy folks reset the light and put about 15 miles on my C6 while "testing" it. It hasn't come back on again.

Is this ? Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

And now, as I slide faster into rant mode... I scheduled a Tuesday AM service appointment with Mossy so that their one trained technician could get his first shot at working on a C6. The car sat there all day Tuesday; when I checked up on it this morning, my service advisor confessed that they were in "a little dillemma": seems that they failed to put the car in reverse, which ran down the battery, and resulted in them being locked out of the car. After I ran the emergency key down to them, they were able to recharge the dead battery (hmm, maybe that's one way to reset an error code) and get the car back to me this afternoon. I have these bad visions of someone there trying to Slim Jim the door right about when I called...

But, back in the C6 after 36 hours of deprivation, I'm doing better
Old 09-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Chunandler
Safety Car

lol 15miles..reminds me of Ferris Bueller when they take special care of that Ferrari at the parking garage
Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

By any chance did you notice any problem with your fuel gage or did you get an error message on your DIC "Service Fuel System"?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask them what trouble code was in the system. I'll look it up in the service manual and will be able to tell if you were given a line of B.S.
If that is true, you should be able to duplicate again.

And if they ran the battery down, that person has no business touching a Corvette. That reverse deal has been communicated to dealers numerous times, if they missed that point they are clueless to any other C6 feature.

Last edited by Michrider; 09-30-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me. Would they really design something that would cause a check engine or SES light whenever someone doesn't fully engage a gear and it pops out of gear... or does what a lot of people do; go to neutral without using the clutch? Sounds fishy, or else there are going to be a lot of check engine lights out there.

Mike
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 AM
djhartm
Racer

Crown Chevrolet in Dublin put 11 miles on my C6 while getting the left fuel sensor replaced.

I sent them an email this AM asking WTF?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:05 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

You need to add a line to the estimate that states "no more than 2 miles of driving to confirm repair"... if they can't do enough starts, stops, accelerations/brakings to figure it out in 2 miles of city driving... then someone is out getting burgers and showing off *your* car to their buddies or girlfriend!

Old 09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michrider
Ask them what trouble code was in the system. I'll look it up in the service manual....
Do you have the C6 manual, and where can I get one?

Thanks for your advice,
Erik
Old 09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Originally Posted by cam30era
By any chance did you notice any problem with your fuel gage or did you get an error message on your DIC "Service Fuel System"?
No, neither of those.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Originally Posted by djhartm
Crown Chevrolet in Dublin put 11 miles on my C6 while getting the left fuel sensor replaced.

I sent them an email this AM asking WTF?
Oh, and whoever has a yellow C6 coupe that was ready for delivery either yesterday afternoon or today from Mossy, you'll be happy to know that the staff was driving it around "doing a safety check," as it was explained to me.

At least the "OK to Ship" plastic wrap was still on the seats.

-Erik
Old 09-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Service manuals can be ordered from Helm. 1-800-551-4123. Not sure if the '05 paper manual is ready yet. That usually comes out a couple months after the car. The ordering info is in the back of your owner's manual. Dealers use the electronic version on-line, which is out now. Through a friend I can get the online info if you need a code checked.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM
CADreamingVette
Advanced

Sounds like I will be crossing Mossey off of my dealer list for repairs. Is there any dealer that ACTUALLY does a good job out there? GEEZ!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Originally Posted by CADreamingVette
Sounds like I will be crossing Mossey off of my dealer list for repairs. Is there any dealer that ACTUALLY does a good job out there? GEEZ!
You'll notice that I drove right past Weseloh on my way to see Mossy in Encinitas... Weseloh has done, uh, wonders on my C5.

To answer your question... NO (but if you find anyone who does, please let me know!)
Old 09-30-2004, 04:07 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erik_In_Carlsbad
To rehash, the Check Engine light came on in my C6 with about 10 miles on the odometer, then later that day I noticed that the cruise control wouldn't engage.

Mossy Chevrolet in Encinitas, CA told me that the cause was due to shifting into neutral without engaging the clutch and a subsequent decrease in vehicle speed of >35MPH.

While I may well have made such a shift from 6th to neutral while coasting up a freeway offramp, I really don't understand how this action would be tied to the Check Engine light, and why it would cause the light to remain on long after the incident.

The Mossy folks reset the light and put about 15 miles on my C6 while "testing" it. It hasn't come back on again.

And now, as I slide faster into rant mode... I scheduled a Tuesday AM service appointment with Mossy so that their one trained technician could get his first shot at working on a C6. The car sat there all day Tuesday; when I checked up on it this morning, my service advisor confessed that they were in "a little dillemma": seems that they failed to put the car in reverse, which ran down the battery, and resulted in them being locked out of the car. After I ran the emergency key down to them, they were able to recharge the dead battery (hmm, maybe that's one way to reset an error code) and get the car back to me this afternoon. I have these bad visions of someone there trying to Slim Jim the door right about when I called...

Well, it certainly is easy to see if they are lying to you. WHY DON"T YOU JUST DO IT AGAIN?

I won't hurt anything, and if the light comes on again, just reset it, learn from the experience, and get on with your life.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

They designed and made the car so they should be able to fix it one would think that Also better check your radio stations settings or for cigarette ashes in car or anything else out of the ordinary.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwashing
Well, it certainly is easy to see if they are lying to you. WHY DON"T YOU JUST DO IT AGAIN?

I won't hurt anything, and if the light comes on again, just reset it, learn from the experience, and get on with your life.
I was apprehensive about doing anything that would cause the check engine light to stay on and disable the cruise control, which would mean another visit to the dealer

Then curiosity got the best of me. I popped the C6 from 6th into neutral, and coasted from 80 down to almost a full stop.

Result: No check engine light, and most importantly, no visit back to Mossy.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Another Oddball Check Engine Light I had years ago:

On my '84 S-10 Blazer, my check engine light would come on everytime I drove home. It turned out that sunlight was getting in under the dash, and, by chance, it lit up the check engine light area on the speedo/tach panel! It only occurred at that time of day, and in that particular direction, related to the sun.

I like my problem/explanation better than yours. Mine was fixed with a piece of opaque tape in the right place.

Get notified of new replies

To Oddball "cause" of Check Engine light... comments?

Old 10-02-2004, 02:45 PM
bluemax750
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So the dealer neglected to call you and waited till you came to pick up your car to tell you that they killed your battery. I hope you got a replacement battery as yours now is gonna have a very short life.. I'd have been more pissed that they didn't pick up the phone and call than the fact that they didn't put it in reverse. I'd still be pissed about that, but not calling is completely inexscusable and totally unprofessional.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I noticed in the "Rebuilding an Icon" C6 show on the Discovery Channel when they showed the speedo on a high speed run, the check engine light was on. Just an observation.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:31 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll notice that I drove right past Weseloh on my way to see Mossy in Encinitas... Weseloh has done, uh, wonders on my C5.

To answer your question... NO (but if you find anyone who does, please let me know!)
I have had pretty good service at Quality in Escondido - started going there when I worked in RB. It's way out of my way at this point, but I'm pretty comfortable with them.

Erik, was that you on La Costa Ave. Sunday PM?

Quick Reply: Oddball "cause" of Check Engine light... comments?