C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6-Z51/911/E55 Ride Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:28 AM
SisqSam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6-Z51/911/E55 Ride Comparison?

I have been reading the other threads debating the differences between base/F55/Z51 suspensions, and I thought I would add another twist. I have a C6 with F55 on order, and I am still struggling with the decision whether to change to the Z51. It's harshness versus body roll issues. Like many others, I hate both.

I am familiar with the handling of Porsche 911 and Mercedes E55. Does anyone have any experience with a C6/Z51 and one of these other cars, and is the ride harsher or softer with Z51? If not, are there any C5/Z51 owners reading this with such experience?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:02 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Default F55 vs Z51

I ordered my C6 with the F55-Based on what I read the C6 would produce an 11% stiffer ride-If you are going to race the car the Z51 would be your best choice. All those coolers make sense but more things that can go wrong. Not to say the F55 cant crap out. But if it does you don't have to call AAA.
Your age may be a factor. I'm a little older than the avg. vette owner so what I'm loking for is a hot looking car with plenty of guts and the smoothest possible ride (with an option to select the firmness)
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'd suggest the Z51....its a smooth and velvety ride even more so than the C5 Z51 which was very smooth...(Improved sound insulation, and ride qualities were a specific directive of the Corvette team for the C6 and the better C6 runflat tires contribute to an even greater degree of comfort on the Z51 too..not that it needed it..)

Both great suspension systems the F55 is world class but as a package the Z51 with a manual transmission is almost too hard to pass up on..

If I were choosing an automatic though I would get F55.

That is how I would decide between the two suspension packages based off of transmission choice.

Last edited by JerriVette; 07-21-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 AM
73VetteMan
Instructor

Default Transmission Determines Z51 Option?

JerriVette said:
If I were choosing an automatic though I would get F55. That is how I would decide between the two suspension packages based off of transmission choice.
I think JerriVette overlooked an important point. When the Z51 option is ordered with the automatic transmission, the $395 performance rear axle ratio is included for free. The 3.15 gear is a huge improvement over the 2.73. When you consider that ordering the car with the optional gearing is a MUST to combine with the automatic, the Z51 option is essentially $395 cheaper than with the manual transmission!

I agree that the ride of the C6 with Z51 is totally different than that of a C5 with the optional suspension. I also agree that the ride is smooth, but I reserve the term velvety for Cadillacs and other luxury cruisers. I was so pleased with the ride of the Z51 C6 Vette that I changed my order from F55 to Z51. As I mentioned in a previous thread, the ride is much smoother than my wife's SSEI Bonneville, and quieter too.

covette said:
I ordered my C6 with the F55-Based on what I read the C6 would produce an 11% stiffer ride-If you are going to race the car the Z51 would be your best choice.
The C6 ride is MUCH better than that of a C5. Even with the 11% stiffer Z51 option, it is better than that of a standard suspension C5.

All those coolers make sense but more things that can go wrong.
The coolers add to durability and are NOT prone to failure. The electronics and electromagnetic shocks could be an expensive nightmare in the future.

I am over 50 and am more discriminating about the ride than handling. I definately urge you to change your order to the Z51 option regardless of transmission choice.

Last edited by 73VetteMan; 07-22-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
mikeivan
Instructor

Default Check this link for some great info on this question

Originally Posted by SisqSam
I have been reading the other threads debating the differences between base/F55/Z51 suspensions, and I thought I would add another twist. I have a C6 with F55 on order, and I am still struggling with the decision whether to change to the Z51. It's harshness versus body roll issues. Like many others, I hate both.

Thanks!
www.corvetteactioncenter.com...005/intro6.html

There is a hot link in the article to an earlier report on MRC which is just too for me to resist odering one.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not had he pleasure of driving the C6 yet but have ordered Z51. In my experience with the C5 it is definately stiffer than base however. The base has a lot or rolling compared and would not recomend that. i am not familiar with the F55 as i have not driven it. The C5 Z51 would only feel harh if you have really crapy roads. I am in los angeles and the roads here pretty much suck and Z51 is still the ticket for me!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I'd suggest the Z51....its a smooth and velvety ride even more so than the C5 Z51 which was very smooth
This just goes to show how ride is so subjective. I don't think the C5 Z51 is smooth at all! It has a lot of kickback from the rear suspension, and a lot of jitter on ripply road surfaces. These are two things I am hoping they improve with the C6. It is not so bad that I feel like I am getting pounded to death, so for a performance addict like me, I would consider getting it again.

That's not to say JerriVette or anyone else is wrong. It's like music. You need to experience it yourself, before deciding whether or not you like it. No one here can make the decision for you.

What they should come out with is Selective Ride WITH Z51, like they had on the C4. It had the bigger roll bars, the coolers, bigger brakes, faster steering, etc. And yes, it was nice to flip the switch when the goin' got rough.

Michael
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 AM
SisqSam
Advanced

73VetteMan, it's your post in the other thread that got me thinking! Man, you really got me staying awake at night!

I rented a C5 with the base suspension and was somewhat disappointed with the body roll. I found it somewhat easy to get the car to slide a bit on "emergency lange change maneuvers." Although I found it quite controllable, I had expected better performance. I thought the Porsche (which I also rented) and Mercedes (which I own) were better handling (much to the surprise of the rental agent). I was hoping that the F55 suspenspension solved the problem with the best of both worlds, and it seems like the Z51 definitely would (with unkown ride quality).

I fully agree that ride quality is very subjective. I found the overall ride quality of the C5 quite acceptable, so, 73VetteMan, when you say that the C6 with Z51 is better than the base C5, then you pretty much got me sold. I find both the Porsche and Mercedes also quite acceptable in ride quality (neither is what I would call velvety, but comfy enough for me), so I was hoping someone could provide a comparison just for one more data point.

Last edited by SisqSam; 07-23-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:06 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

My friend has a 2001 911 (996) coupe and I have a '02 Z06. The 911 feels as stiff as the Z to me, but is better damped on rebound, because it has better shocks. The Porsche shocks feel like monotube Bilsteins but I am not sure what they are. The Sachs shocks on the Vettes simply suck.

The Z06 sticks and transitions, and telegraphs much better than the Porsche, however, and is therefore much quicker in the curves. The Z06 chassis and suspension geometry are superior to the Porsche's, and it shows.

Don't know about the E55, but it is a 4000lb sedan and will handle accordingly. Most Benzes have a nice supple damped ride however, due again to the use of Bilstein shocks.

On the C6 F55 ride: you can expect a harsher ride than, say, a Z06 because of the stiff sidewalls on the run-flat tires. This was certainly the case on my 2000 Z51 coupe vs the Z. The run-flat technology has undoubtedley improved on the C6 tires, but they will never be as compliant as non-run-flat tires. The fact that the Coupe was lowered only made the harshness worse. Another contributing factor to harsh rides in the C5 is improper alignment, and especially too much rear toe-in. This causes the car to skitter all over the place and crash over bumps, as opposed to damping the bumps. It will also eat tires up quick.

Personally, I would not spend the $$$ on the F55. There are many shock choices out there for the Vette, including Konis and Bilsteins. For the money spent on the F55, you could get some Penske DAs. I would order the Z51 for the stiffer bars and springs and junk the Sachs shocks for some Bilsteins. That worked nicely on my Z51 coupe. The ride and handling both improved noticeably - as long as the alignment remained sound.

Last edited by TTRotary; 08-07-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:05 PM
ZEOHHH6
4th Gear

I'm not lucky enough to be buying a c6 yet, not sure if I want to yet. I love my 01 'Zo6. The only ride complaint I have is the road noise. If either C6 is as smooth as mine, or smoother, and is at least somewhat quiet.... It would be perfect. I'm 38 and getting a little more picky about comfort levels. Remember....it's a race car, not a cadillac!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:57 AM
peccles
Racer

Originally Posted by SisqSam
It's harshness versus body roll issues. Like many others, I hate both.
You could always upgrade to the Z51 sway bars later if you find
the body roll too much.

Get notified of new replies

To C6-Z51/911/E55 Ride Comparison?

Quick Reply: C6-Z51/911/E55 Ride Comparison?