C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09, 87K miles, asking for tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:50 AM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '09, 87K miles, asking for tips

I have a 2009 LS2 with 87K miles. It's not been tracked and is just my little red Corvette to enjoy since it was new. I noticed a couple of years ago the gas mileage was in the high teens. I'm thinking of having the shop look it over for what would have been called in the 60s and 70s a tune up. The engine has worked really well, but I don't know what to ask to get looked at, what I shouldn't need done at 15 years and 87K miles.

So, what should and shouldn't I need done to it at this stage in its life? Thanks much.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:09 AM
robert.m.kalis
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Shouldn't a 09 Corvette have the LS3, not LS2?
The following users liked this post:
pbergmann (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:20 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If you are looking at your DIC fuel economy try filling up to the first shutoff then writing down your odometer reading and run the car to maybe 1/4 tank, fill it up to first shutoff and see how many miles you went on the gallons you used…simple math !!…no “tune up” these days so at 87K looks like your spark plugs need replacing !!…I would also clean your MAF and Throttle Body…that’s my tuneup !!…if you’ve owned it since new what fluid changes have you performed ??
Old 04-12-2024, 10:15 AM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
If you are looking at your DIC fuel economy try filling up to the first shutoff then writing down your odometer reading and run the car to maybe 1/4 tank, fill it up to first shutoff and see how many miles you went on the gallons you used…simple math !!…no “tune up” these days so at 87K looks like your spark plugs need replacing !!…I would also clean your MAF and Throttle Body…that’s my tuneup !!…if you’ve owned it since new what fluid changes have you performed ??
Thanks for the reply. No, I was actually looking at the mileage odometer for the specific tank of gas divided by the gallons bought on that fill up.

I have replaced the air filter at 49K, flushed the radiator at 45K, flushed the transmission at 75K, and in the past 10 years I have changed the oil at 37K in April 2013, 42K in March, 2014, 48K in April 2015, 56K in March, 2016, 61K in May 2017, 63K in May 2018, 69K in May 2019, 77K in August 2020, 82K in November 2021 and 83K in October 2023. I replaced the belts at 55K (kept the old belts in the car in case the belts broke while I was out of town). Specifically, only the air filter and the oil changes have I performed myself. I believe I had the radiator hoses replaced when the radiator was flushed, I'd have to look at the repair order.

If you know, how many labor hours would it be to replace the plugs, clean the MAF and the Throttle Body? Thanks very much for your time.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:22 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

It’s 2.1 hours for the plugs but I can’t find labor hours for MAF and TB…I’d say 2 hours around 4.0 hours for all that work…it’s very easy to clean MAF and TB…do it yourself !!….MAF cleaning video below !!

Old 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robert.m.kalis
Shouldn't a 09 Corvette have the LS3, not LS2?
You're right. I do remember it's a 3LT, though. Also, I remember using Jeff Hardy's website of new Corvette inventory to find mine. That was an invaluable website for me, back then. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:25 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Throttle body cleaning…NO need to remove the TB…just clean the area of the throttle plate.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:48 AM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
It’s 2.1 hours for the plugs but I can’t find labor hours for MAF and TB…I’d say 2 hours around 4.0 hours for all that work…it’s very easy to clean MAF and TB…do it yourself !!….MAF cleaning video below !!

https://youtu.be/nm_p8sgRzN8?si=Lu8zGRFICBzwXQC_
Thanks for the video and the hours. 2 questions regarding the video. After spraying the MAF wires, do you let it dry before re-attaching or does the spray pretty much evaporate? And since my MAF is a virgin, will I need to be spraying a little longer since it's 15 years old?

Have a good weekend.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:55 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ounce
Thanks for the video and the hours. 2 questions regarding the video. After spraying the MAF wires, do you let it dry before re-attaching or does the spray pretty much evaporate? And since my MAF is a virgin, will I need to be spraying a little longer since it's 15 years old?

Have a good weekend.
MAF cleaner pretty much evaporated quickly and the side of the hot wire that faces the airflow needs to be cleaned….I don’t know how dirty your MAF hot wire is so I can’t say…your MAF hasn’t been cleaned in 15 years ??…I do my MAF and TB every other year as part of preventive maintenance.

Get notified of new replies

To '09, 87K miles, asking for tips

Quick Reply: '09, 87K miles, asking for tips