C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic tapping noise under moderate to heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 05:57 PM
samsm00t
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metallic tapping noise under moderate to heavy acceleration

Since about November, I have had this weird somewhat loud metallic tapping noise when I accelerate in lower gears. It only makes the noise between about half throttle and WOT and in first or second gear. It sounds almost like something small or maybe rotating hitting a piece of sheet metal multiple times. The sound seems to increase with RPMs but is not constant. It only does it when driving and not while idling or revving the engine. I have had my car in multiple shops to try and figure out what the noise is but nobody can figure it out, since it only makes the noise while driving. The sound is coming from the front of the car from what I can tell. I haven't gotten any check engine lights or noticed any decrease in performance. One of the mechanics I brought it to thought it sounded like detonation, but I always fill up with 93 and adding octane booster and fuel system cleaner did nothing. I've also had my exhaust checked out and there are no leaks or anything like that. At this point, I'm thinking that maybe it is the torque tube, but I don't want to have everything taken apart for it not to be the problem. At this point, I'll take any advice because I'm tired of paying diag fees for issues nobody can figure out and paying for parts that don't fix the issue. On the off chance that one of you had a similar problem, what was it? I included a video of what I'm hearing.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6352.MOV (4.23 MB, 25 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_6355.MOV (4.21 MB, 20 views)
Old 03-19-2024, 11:51 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Did they hook it to a scanner and verify knock count or did they just guess?
Old 03-19-2024, 02:54 PM
samsm00t
3rd Gear

No they did not. Thats only based on what the technician heard, but to me it didn't really sound like detonation or pinging. I'm thinking possibly flexplate or god forbid the torque tube. Seems to be the general direction the noise is coming from
Old 03-19-2024, 06:57 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by samsm00t
No they did not. Thats only based on what the technician heard, but to me it didn't really sound like detonation or pinging. I'm thinking possibly flexplate or god forbid the torque tube. Seems to be the general direction the noise is coming from
if it’s coming from that area then it’s more than likely the rubber bushings in the torque tube going bad
Old 03-19-2024, 07:48 PM
samsm00t
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by baxsom
if it’s coming from that area then it’s more than likely the rubber bushings in the torque tube going bad
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Its in the shop for the 4th time for that issue so hopefully they can figure it out this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic tapping noise under moderate to heavy acceleration

Quick Reply: Metallic tapping noise under moderate to heavy acceleration