C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Tires for C6 Base Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 12:36 PM
criley
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Day Tires for C6 Base Corvette

Out of interest, what are people currently using for track day tires?
Old 02-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 382 Likes on 316 Posts

Non competition? I have Yoko Apex v601 on some wheels and A052 on another set. In the past many years I usually used scrubs though. Those were usually slicks but there are treaded types to be had and treaded rains too. JB Racing tires has a lot in stock.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:39 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

I only know 2 people who do that and they both use Hoosier r7's. And I think they are pricey.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:38 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

I just go to the track with the tires I use always, the ones that are on the rims. To learn how the car handles when "on the edge" and extreme situations. I'm not trying to get the "ultimate lap", but to find out things I can't on the public roads...

On a familiar track, I got around it just a half a second slower than what I did with my previous C4 with specific track tires... (1:30.5 vs 1:30.0)
Old 02-10-2024, 07:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,189 Posts

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go.

R7s' are the standards for track tires, but with the increased grip, going to destroy the stock wheel hubs,and will need to replace them with skF race hubs to withstand the extra G loading to start with And with the extra grip, comes more brake uses/heat, which means at least replacing the brake pads at the same time you replace the wheel at the track as well.

If not looking to do this kind of work at the track, then something like either R888R tires, or Super cups, which you can drive to the track, use them at the track, and them drive back home. As for brake pads, should be able to find a set that will work at the track, and still have the needed cooler working temps to use on the street as well.
As for the two tires, prefer the super cups, since plenty of rubber left on them once you have turned them into slicks, while on the R888r;s once you wear to them to the bottom of the scalps so they are not so noisy in the corners like your over driving the car, tires are done for instead.

As for less expensive tire than the two above for both track and street, then Kumbo XS tires if you can find them still. The tires did have a wear rating on them of 180, but was a total lie to make them class legal, and the real rating was something more like 100 instead. Hence not longer made since lie of tire wear rating was found out since not class legal, but great tires if your not playing by the rules. Plus, once you do wear them down to slicks for added grip, still have plenty of rubber left as well.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:17 PM
Michael Aimaro
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m using Toyo R888R on my 2008 Z06. They have great feel. Really rolls well in the middle of the corner. That being said I haven’t used anything else. So I can’t say that they are the best.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:12 AM
OGVette
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nittos 555 G2's will be perfect and not overly expensive compared to other tires
Old 02-12-2024, 09:45 AM
criley
Racer

Originally Posted by OGVette
Nittos 555 G2's will be perfect and not overly expensive compared to other tires
Cool. Those fit. Might give those a go. I have been using the Michelins but want to try some others.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:45 AM
criley
Racer

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Non competition? I have Yoko Apex v601 on some wheels and A052 on another set. In the past many years I usually used scrubs though. Those were usually slicks but there are treaded types to be had and treaded rains too. JB Racing tires has a lot in stock.
Cool thanks. Will have a look at the Yoko Apex tires.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:50 AM
criley
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go.
I track about 6 times a year including the AZ summer which is hard on tires (so is Arizona Motorsports Park which is my favorite track). I tracked the C7 Grand Sport (Z07 package) which had expensive consumables, this was also during covid and replacing the Sport Cup 2's was equal to a vacation in Hawaii. The Sport Cup 2's were good for two track days and could be pushed to a third. I blew a tire at AMP pushing them to a fourth. I sold the Grand Sport before the ceramic rotors needed changing.

Goal of the C6 is to have a fun, strong, consistent track car with cheaper consumables

cam
Old 02-12-2024, 12:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

There has been a lot of discussion lately in the race section about tires. Especially the 200 tread wear models.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:03 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Non competition? I have Yoko Apex v601 on some wheels...
I have the Yokos as my one-and-done set of everyday tires. I have not taken the C6 to the track, but I had these tires on my Mustang GT and I was pleasantly surprised by how well they did on the track. Compared to the Michelin PS4S that I had on that car previously, they were about 95% as good, but for 2/3 the cost.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I have the Yokos as my one-and-done set of everyday tires. I have not taken the C6 to the track, but I had these tires on my Mustang GT and I was pleasantly surprised by how well they did on the track. Compared to the Michelin PS4S that I had on that car previously, they were about 95% as good, but for 2/3 the cost.
Good to hear! I put some street miles on them and they are good. Just waiting till the tracks open.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:30 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 707 Likes on 450 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Sounds like you're driving to the track and intend to use them on street as well.
If so, flavor of the month (year) is currently Nankang CR-S in the trackworthy 200tw category. Simply, way way faster than others in the category as well as some 100tw.
Still streetable and 'somewhat' better than others on wet roads...and somewhat quieter than others in the category. And like others, not to be used in cold weather.
You'll need a bit more track oriented alignment of course, but extreme wear should balance out from street use on same tires.
They seem to grow more pressure on track than others and sweet spot is under 34psi hot (start at 26 cold and keep bleeding out as day progresses....remember to reinflate after they cool off)
Have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day Tires for C6 Base Corvette

Quick Reply: Track Day Tires for C6 Base Corvette