C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me - 2007 C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 12:42 AM
JakeTheSnake88
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New to me - 2007 C6 Z06

Hi all,

I picked up this beast this morning, then drove it from Indianapolis to Connecticut, straight shot. Took me 13 hours, 3 tanks of gas and so many smiles.

This will mostly be used as a track car. The engine and transmission seem great. Tons of
power. 8,000 miles on the engine rebuild:

It also appears to have a Borla cat-back, not listed above.

A couple questions as this is my 1st C6:

- Is there anything I can to quiet the car down? Some of the track events I would like to attend have decibel limits.

- Will the Z06 brakes hold up for track use or should I consider upgrading? If so what are the best options for a track car.

- The whole ride home, I could hear the rear drivers side suspension banging over every bump. Planning to upgrade the entire suspension with coil overs. What are some of the favorite options here for a track car?
The following users liked this post:
Solaris (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 12:23 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,341 Likes on 949 Posts

Congrats! Lots of good bits in that Z. Someone dropped some serious coin on that one. A set of mufflers like what came stock with your Z would help some. I had late model Z06/ZR1 mufflers on my Vette. They were just too damn loud with the flaps open. I switched to the early model Z mufflers, and it quieted down nicely. Still sounds mean as hell full tilt. Just not straight pipe loud. Corsa Sports might be another option, but they're still pretty damn loud at WOT with long tubes and no cats. I had them on a Vette with similar power as yours.
JakeTheSnake88 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 10:28 AM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

Congratulations on the new whip, looks like a real ripper!
Old 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeTheSnake88

It also appears to have a Borla cat-back, not listed above.

A couple questions as this is my 1st C6:

- Is there anything I can to quiet the car down? Some of the track events I would like to attend have decibel limits.

- Will the Z06 brakes hold up for track use or should I consider upgrading? If so what are the best options for a track car.

- The whole ride home, I could hear the rear drivers side suspension banging over every bump. Planning to upgrade the entire suspension with coil overs. What are some of the favorite options here for a track car?

Lose the atak mufflers, and go to Borla sports if road course you go to has noise limits. Your not going to lose any power and will not need to retune.

On brakes, just make sure brake fluid is fresh, and check the pads in play, since they may need to swapped at the track, so you don't burn up the street pads that may be on the car.
Also, figure out pads now, since with swapping them back and forth, want the two sets so they don't cross contaminate.
Hence race pads have a higher temp ranges so you don't melt them, but have to come up to working temp until they do want to bite. The road pads will bit even when bone cold.
Note, don't get wild on the warm up lap with race pads, since they will not bite until up to heat, and a quick way to miss the corner when you go to break, pads cold and not biting, will not slow the car down fast enough. Hence most High speed road courses in a C6, will have you about 175mph at the end of straight before it's time to brake if have advance driving tallent, going in a second gear corner for the way out.

Suspension banging, would give it once over, but car may be lowered way down too far, and out of corner balance as well.
As for coil overs, unless you have the skill to set them up correctly, and the money for a set that are fully adjustable as well, most none top talent drivers can not tell the difference between say a DRM shock set up on stock sways and trans spring with correct corner balance, over coil over system set up correctly instead.

So would check factory suspension now to get it resolved and dialed in with correct corner balance/ride height only slightly lowered for HPDE, decent tires on the car,and then will figure out quickly that is not the car that needs mods, but you getting more driver talent through HPDE training instead to have faster lap times.
Note, if game plan is to run R7's for road course work, then will need to upgrade the wheel hubs to SKF race hubs. The R7's will allow for higher G forces in the corners, and with the extra force, it will cook the stock hubs on the car quickly instead.

And just a note here, a good HPDE balance on a car like the Z06 is about 600hp max. If car is set up at T-1, then about 650HP instead.
More then this in HP, hard to control the back end out of the apex, so may be faster down the straights by 1 second with the extra power, but going to be slower in the technical section when you can not power out of the apex without losing the rear end/just blistering the tires isntead.

And just a note, easier to teach someone HPDE in Z51 car, than in a Z06 as a novice. The Z51 give plenty of notice that you are getting the car to the edge to you don't take it over, while on the Z06, not a lot of feed back to the edge, and the car just bites you hard with a crash when you take it past the edge of grip isntead.

As for base car, problem with it is the front end is not sprung correctly for HPDE corner braking, and when you go to corner brake, the front end dives to much. So great suspension for those that want to glide through the corners on the road, but not for someone that knows how to corner break to keep the front end biting much better into the apex instead.

Simply, before you go buck wild on the car for HPDE with mods, most find that the only thing that needs money spent of it, is there own driving tallent to make the lap times faster. The car was built for high speed road course from the start in OEM form (short of higher temp pads), and most mods is not well though out once you do have the driver tallet, end up wit the car just slower instead (suspension no longer balanced, or trying to throw too much HP at the track that the suspension/downforce is not able to keep the power to the ground).

JakeTheSnake88 (12-24-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To New to me - 2007 C6 Z06

Quick Reply: New to me - 2007 C6 Z06